Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 219629 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#52460 Oct 12, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh? I'd say that they need to know some math, just like they'd need to be able to read.
The modern American system of medical study is intensely focused on memorization. I'm hoping that will change to allow computers to do most of that, allowing practitioners to start with a basic triage diagnostic, then focusing on technique and observation. In the long run, wellness should be a technician function, not requiring advanced study.
As is, the Medical field is a vulgar business filled by prep school grads who don't want to work for their living.
The use of computer is man made. Computer is man made, it's intelligence are artificial, it can not think, hear or reason, it is just a program...
So, computer can never completely replaced the humans.

“Stuffs gettin better ”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#52462 Oct 12, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
First, that is not whining. I have a legitimate complain. Second, it is not good enough. It is only good enough that I shall continue to call attention to the fact that you are a lying coward. All you have to do to show that I am wrong is to properly answer my question. I am not asking you to answer the sort of question that anyone on my side is afraid to answer.
So either answer the sort of question that anyone of us would be eager to answer, what do you believe in and why, or accept the label that I have so aptly given you.
Evolution is a religion based on junk science.

"Stuff's gettin better"

“Stuffs gettin better ”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#52463 Oct 12, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
That is because you do not understand evidence. We will be happy to teach you how to recognize scientific evidence too.
There is no argument among any scientists, and that includes the occasional rare "creation" scientist, that the evidence out there supports evolution. That is because to be a scientist you have to know how to identify evidence. If you can't identify scientific evidence then you are not a scientist.
Evolution=Junk science religion.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#52464 Oct 12, 2012
For Langoliers:
… the number of self-declared atheists in the world has risen by 9% since the measure was last taken in 2005.
The massive poll, conducted in 57 countries (not, apparently, including Britain) among 51,000 people asked a single question “Irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not, would you say you are a religious person, not a religious person or a convinced atheist?”
It shows that on average 59% of the world said that they think of themselves as religious, whereas 23% think of themselves as not religious and 13% think of themselves as convinced atheists. Naturally there are enormous variations from country to country.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/...

Your survey is old and out of date. This is the latest most up to date survey.

By the way, it is easy to find this study. Here is another article that sites it:

https://www.google.com/search...

And another:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx...

And another:

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2012/08/num...

Again, your source is old and out of date.

Atheism is flourishing around the world. You better start to worry about who shares your silly belief.

Everett, WA

#52465 Oct 12, 2012
President Starky wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is a religion based on junk science.
"Stuff's gettin better"
Then prove it. Oh wait. You are a lying coward, how can I expect yo to back up your words.

Everett, WA

#52467 Oct 12, 2012
dem wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not true.
Your numbers are skewed.
Prove it. None of the many sources that used that survey seem to think so.

They kept the question simple so that the numbers could not be skewed.

Location hidden

#52468 Oct 12, 2012
Benjamin Frankly wrote:
<quoted text>
if evolution is a belief system then you should be able to give the multiple belief’s a “evolutionist” most have.
This is also a red herring this has nothing to do with the list I gave… did you even read it.
Read?
You mean your trash? too bad.

Langoliers

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#52470 Oct 12, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>And a more recent one that I have posted more than twice have found your numbers are low by a factor of five.

They are not my numbers bone head I don't do census.

A survey published in the 2005 Encyclopedia Britannica stated that 2.3% of the world's population consists of individuals who profess "atheism, skepticism, disbelief, or irreligion, including the militantly antireligious." In regards to the 2.3% figure just mentioned, the 2005 survey cited by Encyclopedia Britannica survey did not include Buddhist in regards to the 2.3% figure and Buddhism can be theistic or atheistic."

Wikipedia:

"Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population.[citation needed] It is difficult to determine whether atheism is growing or not"

Wikipedia :

"2005 poll by AP/Ipsos surveyed ten countries. Of the developed nations, people in the United States were most sure of the existence of God or a higher power (2% atheist, 4% agnostic)"

Wikipedia :

"According to one estimate, atheists make up about 2.3% of the world's population"

"In 2007, a Pew Forum survey found that the atheist population in the United States was 1.6% of the American population."

Yup. 1.6%. LOL

1,6%. 1.6%. 1.6%. 1.6%. 1.6%

Location hidden

#52471 Oct 12, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
When, in this thread, you first made your assertion about philosophy, did you say that you were limiting your claim to certain countries?
Yes or no?
<quoted text>
Philosophy courses are taken by many students in many different countries. I never said otherwise.
Now, back to my question to you. When, in this thread, you first made your assertion about philosophy, did you say that you were limiting your claim to certain countries?
Yes or no?
You initially said that, philosophy are not taken in many nations. You didn't say the other wise. Admit your and lets move on.

Everett, WA

#52472 Oct 12, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
They are not my numbers bone head I don't do census.
A survey published in the 2005 Encyclopedia Britannica stated that 2.3% of the world's population consists of individuals who profess "atheism, skepticism, disbelief, or irreligion, including the militantly antireligious." In regards to the 2.3% figure just mentioned, the 2005 survey cited by Encyclopedia Britannica survey did not include Buddhist in regards to the 2.3% figure and Buddhism can be theistic or atheistic."
Wikipedia:
"Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population.[citation needed] It is difficult to determine whether atheism is growing or not"
Wikipedia :
"2005 poll by AP/Ipsos surveyed ten countries. Of the developed nations, people in the United States were most sure of the existence of God or a higher power (2% atheist, 4% agnostic)"
Wikipedia :
"According to one estimate, atheists make up about 2.3% of the world's population"
"In 2007, a Pew Forum survey found that the atheist population in the United States was 1.6% of the American population."
Yup. 1.6%. LOL
1,6%. 1.6%. 1.6%. 1.6%. 1.6%
Of course they are your numbers. At least they are the number that you are trying to use. And they are wrong. My survey is seven years newer. I will post them for you again. First the question:

"Irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not, would you say you are a religious person, not a religious person or a convinced atheist?"

That question gives theists a boost in numbers since you don't have to be a church goer to call your self "a religious person".

The results:

"It shows that on average 59% of the world said that they think of themselves as religious, whereas 23% think of themselves as not religious and 13% think of themselves as convinced atheists. Naturally there are enormous variations from country to country."

That is 13% atheist and another 23% not religious. Ow, it must hurt to be you.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2012/08/num...

Everett, WA

#52474 Oct 12, 2012
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-fai...
Religiosity is on the decline in the U.S. and atheism is on the rise, according to a new worldwide poll.

The poll, called “The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism,” found that the number of Americans who say they are “religious” dropped from 73 percent in 2005 (the last time the poll was conducted) to 60 percent.At the same time, the number of Americans who say they are atheists rose, from 1 percent to 5 percent.

The poll was conducted by WIN-Gallup International and is based on interviews with 50,000 people from 57 countries and five continents. Participants were asked,“Irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not, would you say you are a religious person, not a religious person, or a convinced atheist?”...

Other findings from the poll include:

— Besides Vietnam, Ireland had the greatest change in religiosity, down from 69 percent to 47 percent.

— China has the most “convinced atheists,” at 47 percent, followed by Japan (31 percent), Czech Republic (30 percent) and France (29 percent)

— The most religious countries are in Africa (Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya), South America (Brazil, Peru) and Eastern Europe (Macedonia, Romania, Armenia).

— Countries with the same percentage of atheists as the U.S. are Poland, Moldova and Saudi Arabia.
This is the same sort of poll as you keep quoting, Langoliers. Except it was taken this year. Yours was taken seven years ago.

The number of atheists is soaring world wide. Don't worry, we don't persecute religious fools like theists used to persecute atheists.

Location hidden

#52476 Oct 12, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
None of which makes mathematics itself a "science".
<quoted text>
Which *still* doesn't make mathematics itself a "science".
If you can't build a house without a hammer, does that mean that hammers are houses?
Before any house or building can stand, they must measure( a form of Math) the land.
Hectares, scales, metric systems, acres etc are all forms of Mathematics.

Location hidden

#52477 Oct 12, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
None of which makes mathematics itself a "science".
<quoted text>
Which *still* doesn't make mathematics itself a "science".
If you can't build a house without a hammer, does that mean that hammers are houses?
This and many more proves that, Mathematics is a science.
DarWINNING

Columbus, OH

#52479 Oct 12, 2012
Even evolution is still a form of creationism..the only thing that truly changes are the labels.

Location hidden

#52480 Oct 12, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
How are any of those models "scientific"? Do they use the scientific method? Yes or no?
<quoted text>
Nope. Just because a science uses mathematics as one of its tools, does not mean that mathematics itself is a science. Mathematics is not a science. It does not use the scientific method.
Period.
(As already pointed out to you, all sciences use language as a tool, but you aren't claiming that language is a science, are you?)
Wrong, wrong and wrong.
Mathematics is a science, it is born with man. It never originated from a particular unlike language.

Everett, WA

#52481 Oct 12, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't stand it can you!
Pointing out the percentage of atheist in your church doesn't mean anything the percentage of the world population that is Atheist is 2.3%.
In the U.S. 1.6%
You started out with 100% of the world population now you have just 2.3%
97.7% have left your clan and its burning a hole right through you. LOL
Maybe you and all your friend can each do a pretend world census to help cover up the facts.
My listed numbers are from official census. Yours are slanted and not official.
2.3%. 1.6% 2.3%. 1.6%. 2.3%. 1.6%
Nope, the poll I site is just as official as the one that you site. That is why it was reported by so many sources. Do you want to see another one that used that source? Though in the U.S. it is pretty hard to find a newspaper with more prestige than the Washington Post, but here goes:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/20...

Oh, sweet Irony!! The Christian Science Monitor:

Atheism is on the rise in the United States and elsewhere while religiosity is declining, according to a new worldwide poll.“The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism,” conducted by WIN-Gallup International headquartered in Switzerland, found that the number of Americans who say they are “religious” dropped from 73 percent in 2005 – when the poll was last conducted – to 60 percent. Those who said they were “convinced” atheists rose from 1 to 5 percent. And 33 percent of the people polled said that they don’t consider themselves as a “religious person."

Ryan Cragun, a University of Tampa sociologist of religion, told the “Religion News Services” he questions whether the number of atheists in the United States really grew as the poll suggested. Dr. Cragun suggests that people may just be more comfortable identifying themselves as atheist.

That view seems consistent with a study conducted by the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life in 2009 showing that 5 percent of Americans at that time said they did not believe in God or a universal spirit, but only 24 percent of the nonbelievers actually called themselves atheists.

RELATED: Are you an atheist? Take our quiz!

The new poll is based on interviews (face-to-face, by telephone or online varying from country to country) with more than 50,000 people from 57 countries. The participants were asked this question:“Irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not, would you say you are a religious person, not a religious person, or a convinced atheist?”

America remains way down the list of countries for self-reported atheism. China tops that list with 47 percent “convinced atheists,” followed by Japan (31 percent), the Czech Republic (30 percent), France (29 percent), and South Korea (15 percent).

Religious Ghana

According to the poll, the following are the top ten religious countries: Ghana (96 percent of the participants that they are religious), Nigeria (93 percent), Armenia (92 percent), Fiji (92 percent), Macedonia (90 percent), Romania (89 percent), Iraq (88 percent), Kenya (88 percent), Peru (86 percent), and Brazil (85 percent).

The least religious nations, according to the poll, are China (14 percent saying they are religious), Japan (16 percent), Czech Republic (20 percent), Turkey (23 percent), Sweden (29 percent), Vietnam (30 percent), Australia (37 percent), France (37 percent), Hong Kong (38 percent) and Austria (42 percent)."

Once again, ow. It must suck to be you.

Location hidden

#52482 Oct 12, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
How are any of those models "scientific"? Do they use the scientific method? Yes or no?
<quoted text>
Nope. Just because a science uses mathematics as one of its tools, does not mean that mathematics itself is a science. Mathematics is not a science. It does not use the scientific method.
Period.
(As already pointed out to you, all sciences use language as a tool, but you aren't claiming that language is a science, are you?)
Science can never be called science completely, without the use of Mathematics. That is why Mathematics is a science.

Location hidden

#52483 Oct 12, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
If math can function without the sciences, then math itself is not a science.
<quoted text>
Nobody here claimed that science didn't use mathematics as one of its tools.
But the tools used by science are not automatically sciences themselves.
Is a hammer a type of house? Yes or no?
Since science can not function without Mathematics, Mathematics is as important as science...

Everett, WA

#52484 Oct 12, 2012
I liked the Christian Science Monitor's explanation for why the number of atheists is growing so much. The main reason they think is due to people who are atheist losing their fear to admit that they are atheist. In most countries in the world there has been a history of oppression of atheists. That oppression has been dropping and people are not as afraid of reprisals as they were in the past.

Langoliers is going nuts since this newer more precise study shows that his numbers no longer apply.

Maybe I can put it in terms that he will understand:

Langoliers, when the election is held this fall should we use the four year old poll numbers that show who the American people want for President or the brand new ones we will be getting in November?

“Do not bend, fold, staple or”

Since: Jan 11

mutilate. Point down range.

#52485 Oct 12, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Science can never be called science completely, without the use of Mathematics. That is why Mathematics is a science.
Mathematics is more a language. It is the language of science. It isn't a science itself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 min Home Schooled RePub 313,391
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... (May '16) 3 min Copout 21,420
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 10 min RoxLo 259,170
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 17 min Copout 1,498,602
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 17 min Quirky 413,259
News Yes, Mass Deportations Are Coming. And We Know ... 54 min USA 260
News DHS: Trump Border 'Wall' to Cost $21.6B, Take 3... 1 hr The Real New Resi... 508
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr district 3 237,881
News Appeals court upholds MD assault weapons ban 1 hr californio 51
More from around the web