Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 187377 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#48323 Sep 25, 2012
My bad. I did not realize my copy went up as high as it did. You can ignore everything about "ON HEAVILY CREDENTIALED ACADEMIC GAS BAGS".

Actually when it comes to science you can ignore everything that Ralph Rene ever said.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#48324 Sep 25, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> That is not true...

This is a second lie to cover the first. The link does not work. Google shows nothing similar. You are busted.

Everett, WA

#48325 Sep 25, 2012
What is wrong with me today!? Ignore everything ABOVE, not ABOUT.

Sheesh, I am having to correct my corrections.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#48326 Sep 25, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Your opinion.

No, a fact.

While constructed languages ("conlangs") are viewed as creations with copyright protection, natural languages are not protected, excluding dictionaries and/or other works created with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingon_language

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#48327 Sep 25, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
She?! Heresy! I will have you know that the FSM is definitely male. In fact he is the most obvious of male gods there is. He does have two meatBALLS after all.

I stand corrected

Ramen!
HTS

Englewood, CO

#48328 Sep 25, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The brain is a multiuse organ. It has the ability to conceptualize, evaluate, create,...... Just because it is evolved to do certain things does not mean it lacks the capacity for other things. My computer is not designed to be a doorstop, but it serves that function.
What a stupid comparison. You think that the capacity to do higher math is analogous to the campacity of a computer to serve as a doorstop?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#48329 Sep 25, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>What a stupid comparison. You think that the capacity to do higher math is analogous to the campacity of a computer to serve as a doorstop?

In the example I gave, yes. In your disingenuous rendering of what I was saying, no.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#48330 Sep 25, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
In the example I gave, yes. In your disingenuous rendering of what I was saying, no.
You cannot ascribe a simplistic function to evolution if the complexity extends far beyond what would have been required for natural selection. Many examples of this are found in nature.... from the higher intellectual faculties of man to the peacock's tail. You cannot tell me that a peahen has the aesthetic appreciation to discriminate the elaborate ornamentation of a peacock's tail. Mate attraction is simplistic and doesn't explain it. If mutations and natural selection produced a peacock's tail, there is no way that it would be as elaborately ornamented as it is.

Everett, WA

#48331 Sep 25, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
You said ,....We can explain how life appeared, thats a lie. Your various steps all end in failure, yet you continue to lie. Hell I'll do my own life origin experiments, I've got a bottle of water and humans are over 70 percent water right, so I'm 70 percent there, add some amino acids ,proteins and enzymes and I'm very close to producing a human being. Thats as close as your various steps in how life arose has gotten. Of course your religion demands that you believe it and you don't disappoint.
How do the various steps end in failure? That seems to be an outright lie. Your so called experiment shows that you are at least forty years behind current research. So catch up and then try again.

Meanwhile I would like to see a link showing how people studying abiogenesis have ever failed.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#48332 Sep 25, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No, these are lay terms that are sometimes used to describe the SLoT to non-scientists. These are not actually terms used in science.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_law_of_th...
Order and complexity are scientific and mathematical concepts. You obviously didn't look at the math that you blindly posted.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#48333 Sep 25, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> That is really not the issue, the issue is that, English started and developed in a country called, England and not Germany.
No.

It started (mostly) in Germany, and developed, usually in different directions, everywhere it was spoken.

Humming loudly while your fingers are in your ears does not a cogent argument make.

Everett, WA

#48334 Sep 25, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Order and complexity are scientific and mathematical concepts. You obviously didn't look at the math that you blindly posted.
Then you should be able to state a working definition of order and complexity and how that supports your beliefs. So far all you have done is to misrepresent the second law of thermodynamics at best.

Every scientists that understands the SLOT knows that it is not violated by evolution. In fact that is a major indication that someone does not understand the SLOT whenever they claim that evolution would break that law.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#48335 Sep 25, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
How do the various steps end in failure? That seems to be an outright lie. Your so called experiment shows that you are at least forty years behind current research. So catch up and then try again.
Meanwhile I would like to see a link showing how people studying abiogenesis have ever failed.
The "currrent research" into abiogesis is a lot of nothing. It is a losing battle, because every year more and more complexity to single cell life is uncovered... Why do you blatantly lie and pretend that "science" has a plausible pathway of abiogenesis when clearly no one has any idea? Have you every read any of the actual research. It is 100% BS. Amino acids, RNA precursors, primitive cell membranes, racemic mixtures of simple proteins. What does any of that prove? It proves absolutely NOTHING.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#48336 Sep 25, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text> You cannot ascribe a simplistic function to evolution if the complexity extends far beyond what would have been required for natural selection.

Clearly the "complexity" (meaningless term) does not extend beyond what evolution has done. Incidentally, natural selection is only one of the mechanisms of evolution.

The problem one has in arguing against evolution is that, like gravity, we know it exists (happens). Evolution has been observed in real time in labs (and replicated). Evolution has been observed in the natural environment, in the fossil record and in the genomic record. There is just no intellectual question about it.

So, while someone may come with with many intriguing ideas as to why gravity can't work, at the end of the day it does work.
HTS wrote:
<quoted text> Many examples of this are found in nature.... from the higher intellectual faculties of man to the peacock's tail. You cannot tell me that a peahen has the aesthetic appreciation to discriminate the elaborate ornamentation of a peacock's tail. Mate attraction is simplistic and doesn't explain it. If mutations and natural selection produced a peacock's tail, there is no way that it would be as elaborately ornamented as it is.

begging the question fallacy.

The 'Argument from Complexity'(and the closely related 'Argument from Design') which you seem married to, is such a discredited notion that is is included under some lists of logical fallacies. Certainly it falls under the fallacy 'Argument from Ignorance' and in your rendition above of 'Begging the Question'.

here is some related info:
http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#48337 Sep 25, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Order and complexity are scientific and mathematical concepts. You obviously didn't look at the math that you blindly posted.

I am acquainted with the math. Order and complexity are not scientific or mathematical concepts, they are notions, and rather sucky ones at that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_law_of_th...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#48338 Sep 25, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>The "currrent research" into abiogesis is a lot of nothing. It is a losing battle, because every year more and more complexity to single cell life is uncovered... Why do you blatantly lie and pretend that "science" has a plausible pathway of abiogenesis when clearly no one has any idea? Have you every read any of the actual research. It is 100% BS. Amino acids, RNA precursors, primitive cell membranes, racemic mixtures of simple proteins. What does any of that prove? It proves absolutely NOTHING.

Harvard Medical school has predicted they would be able to recreate life (abiogenesis) within 5 years. They made that prediction over a year ago.

Science DOES have a plausible path to abiogenesis. It is a 6 step process which is very similar across the various models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

The references from this page has 149 entries.

I will post a more specific link if I can find it again.

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Since: Dec 06

KREUZBERG...

#48339 Sep 25, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Meh! Dogs hate cats. Cats hate birds. Birds hate dogs.(or something like that!) If you're going to have a foot in more than one camp, you'll need very long legs.
The evolved human has become a much more complicated thing since the days of Big Brother government have come to pass. I suppose survival of the fittest is a changing reality all the time as well.
Question: Will the next step of evolution be more about fighting over resources or about shrewdly conserving them for times of need? It's always a rigged game. It may or may not be just a question of hiding your assets in plain sight, right Ms. Tinka?
Some don't have the Luxury to hide a whole lot to human's resourcing you would think if that were left to the Species of two legged once ones I mean and who knows maybe at one time they took charge and maybe now we are seeing some of the effects to Human Race and their Resources...

Not saying that an Ausserirdisch and to feeling a bit off out down to feel irre to an U as an I...

Some store nothing some so much it all turns to shiv anyways...

To fight over would be that what is most soothing to Spirit and it's soul...

To a kill of it the spirit is what some religious freks would have don't you think it seems they seek for more to enter till they can reach everyone that may differ in opinions or?

So what? I mean really ups and downs of somethings that happened...

War, personal domestications, who knows what all damages have been committed under the Religious law...

I think what has become more complex to complicated are scholars that have used up their sources to a degree that they still can't figure out anymore shiv to knowledge what does it to to them if they can't reach it to self or to record a inner most of a being?

Somewhere there has to be something to LIFE LEBEN to living to making it through something to reasons?

We have Religion and we have ECONOMICS LAW...with it all different brenches to Communities...

“I am an ALIEN!!!”

Since: Dec 06

KREUZBERG...

#48340 Sep 25, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Harvard Medical school has predicted they would be able to recreate life (abiogenesis) within 5 years. They made that prediction over a year ago.
Science DOES have a plausible path to abiogenesis. It is a 6 step process which is very similar across the various models.
Dude the Chines's are already crawling along do you honestly think America would let them be the only ones...

To be in the mix and to Discovery, takes time and that which gets interrupted are the real Explorers to undercover and to cover that which gets interpreted wrong by that which is confusing to maybe just some for the masses are all hauling for Jesus and his LOVE????

Why is it so needed?

And just a Question to being selfish and all I mean some won't bow to him for what always Preaching or what confusion he or that which made him has caused him??

And to wars if not for Land and to what Reason that would be, the more land for ya own peoples or what?
To create funds for the things that are no longer really in demand seems a bit low tactic to class as to what is really being funded through it don't you think?

Like people Travel still to this day seems most of America likes to stay in however...

HTS

Englewood, CO

#48341 Sep 25, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea what you're talking about. I don't need the wiki to instruct me on abiogenesis. We can't even begin to think of creating life from raw materials... anyone who says differently is either stupid or is lying.
HTS

Englewood, CO

#48342 Sep 25, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly the "complexity" (meaningless term) does not extend beyond what evolution has done. Incidentally, natural selection is only one of the mechanisms of evolution.
The problem one has in arguing against evolution is that, like gravity, we know it exists (happens). Evolution has been observed in real time in labs (and replicated). Evolution has been observed in the natural environment, in the fossil record and in the genomic record. There is just no intellectual question about it.
So, while someone may come with with many intriguing ideas as to why gravity can't work, at the end of the day it does work.
<quoted text>
begging the question fallacy.
The 'Argument from Complexity'(and the closely related 'Argument from Design') which you seem married to, is such a discredited notion that is is included under some lists of logical fallacies. Certainly it falls under the fallacy 'Argument from Ignorance' and in your rendition above of 'Begging the Question'.
here is some related info:
http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php...
antibiotic resistance of bacteria has been observed. A worm evolving into a man has not been observed. Why do you perpetually misrepresent the truth? What do you make ridiculous extrapolations that represent the atithesis of science?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Huma on the Hill for closed-door Benghazi testi... 8 min Ritual Habitual 19
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 8 min NTRPRNR1 370,959
News Speaking for God 15 min Richardfs 54
News Analysis: Clinton Turns Benghazi Hearing Into P... 28 min Ritual Habitual 69
News Obama Starts Hawaii Vacation on the Green 33 min Ritual Habitual 364
News Cruz Super Pac President: Ted, Trump - Anti-est... 38 min Ritual Habitual 1
News Ted Cruz Thinks 'Usually Lefties Don't Believe ... 40 min Ritual Habitual 1
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr IdiggHiggs 1,348,307
News FBI 'ready to indict' Hillary Clinton, Tom Dela... 3 hr LarryV 992
More from around the web