Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223366 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Wake Up

Jasper, IN

#40927 Aug 24, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Gibberish. You don't even have a church or a denomination, do you?
To date, no fundie has come forward with an explanation of John 3:8
though they wear that born again label proudly.
I am non-denominational. John 3: 8 Jesus is basically explaining that when you are baptized you receive the Holy Spirit..and the Holy Spirit, although it can not be seen like wind can be heard. You can hear the Holy Spirit guiding you in life and it is through the Holy Spirit that the truth becomes clear. Although you can not see it once you are baptized youwill be guided by it and shown the answers to the questions you seek.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#40928 Aug 24, 2012
Wake Up wrote:
<quoted text>
Ouy usmt eallyr eb mtsar fi uoy acn daer hist.
Not smart, just linguistically adept.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#40929 Aug 24, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't challenge, you just said "OH NO IT ISN'T!"
Kinda like HTS too really, except he's just much more long-winded about it. He likes to get the emotional pain off his chest.
He has seriously beaten you to the point of losing your chest. Lol...
HTS

Mandan, ND

#40930 Aug 24, 2012
TedHOhio wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I asked you to define complexity! You made the claim of complexity, but like all creationists, you never seem to get around to defining your terms. How can you claim nature cannot produce complexity if you cannot define complexity.
I know why you refuse to define it, because once you go on record wiht any definition, once one item in nature is found to be as complex, or even more complex, your whole concept goes out the window. So you like to bandy around terms, but the reality is -- without a definition of complexity, you cannot make the claim that nature cannot produce complexity.
Keep pedaling on that stationary bike.
And as for your last little part, you are lying. Evolution is not analogous to a monkey sitting in front of a typewriter or a tornado tearing through a junkyard. I have said that before, you just keep ignoring it becuase it would require you to read something for comprehension.
The reason, once again, is because your analogy fails to include anything taking the part of Natural Selection!
Here is a better analogy. You stand behind your monkey on the key board and every time he writes a word that appears in a Shakespearian play, you rip the paper out of the typewriter and insert a new one.
Now, with you playing something slightly closer to Natural Selection, you are closer, just a little bit closer, it's still just an analogy, but slightly better than yours
Of course like any analogy, it fails on many levels, I am sure you will nit-pic one of them and try and browbeat me some more. I'll just be sitting here laughing at you standing behind the monkey trying to recognize Shakespeare. You can ask a 6th grader for help, they usually have read one of two of his plays by that time.
1. I don't know the mathematical definition of complexity. Do you? Are you suggesting that complexity doesn't exist?
2. I don't think it's possible to provide an accurate analogy as to how natural selection could assist a monkey in typing Shakespeare. This is because a book is language, and language cannot be altered one keystroke at a time without an end goal. The question remains... Do you agree that DNA has language type functionality? The Darwinian paradigm of nucleotides being inherited one or two at a time is absurd, because you cannot change the meaning of a genetic code one or two nucleotides at a time any more than a book can be written by contemplating each keystroke. Perhaps the demand for a Shakespearean play is unfair, given the fact that many endpoints are possible. How about imagining that a monkey could type ANYTHING MEANINGFUL?
Wake Up

Jasper, IN

#40931 Aug 24, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That's rich, so what would you call making a complex organism from dirt without evolutionary steps?
Omnipotence

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Santa Fe, NM

#40932 Aug 24, 2012
Wake Up wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont expect you can understand without the Holy Spirit...you try as you might...the Bible is not just a book that you read. The Bible is the Word of God. John1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
If you can't explain what John 3:8 means you don't even know what Holy Spirit means.

I have no use for illiterate clodhoppers from Cabbageville telling me what I understand and don't understand.
Wake Up

Jasper, IN

#40933 Aug 24, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Threatening the Dude with your superstition is breathtakingly inane.
'I'm not threatening you, Biblegod is' is perhaps the most chickenshit fundie strategy I've seen.
I am not threatening anyone...I am not trying to convert you. I am not superstitious at all. I do not believe in superstitions. I am not judging anyone. I am merely saying what the Bible says about those who have heard the word and do refuse its truth. If you feel threatened...then that is your problem. Maybe that should tell you something.
Wake Up

Jasper, IN

#40934 Aug 24, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can't explain what John 3:8 means you don't even know what Holy Spirit means.
I have no use for illiterate clodhoppers from Cabbageville telling me what I understand and don't understand.
I know exactly what the Holy Spirit is. The Holy Spirit lives in me and guides me to do the will of God. The Holy Spirit leads me throughout my life and helps me discern lies from truth. The Holy Spirit guides me to make the right decisions and shows me which paths will lead me to the plans God has for my life. The Holy Spirit brings people and events into my life that will help me fulfill my purpose on Earth. The Holy Spirit protects me and opens my eyes to the deception of Satans lies.

“Wear white at night.”

Santa Fe, NM

#40935 Aug 24, 2012
Wake Up wrote:
<quoted text>
I am non-denominational. John 3: 8 Jesus is basically explaining that when you are baptized you receive the Holy Spirit..and the Holy Spirit, although it can not be seen like wind can be heard. You can hear the Holy Spirit guiding you in life and it is through the Holy Spirit that the truth becomes clear. Although you can not see it once you are baptized youwill be guided by it and shown the answers to the questions you seek.
Best answer I've heard so far, really.

Most fundies just disappear or start spouting gibberish and I don't think they're speaking in tongues.

There's no clear indication that baptism has anything to do with it since He tells Nicodemus he, as a Hebrew leader, should know these things and Nicodemus would not have been baptised.. I figured that meant start with the Old Testament and search out what Nicodemus should have known in the first place.

Breath, spirit and soul are pretty much synonymous in the Old Testament,'pneuma' in Greek. Every living thing receives the breath of God at birth. The Holy Spirit is the words that come out of the mouths of men, the breath thing, put there by God. John did pretty much co-opt that when He called Christ the Word but they still say the Holy Spirit speaks through the prophets.

You really did a pretty good job with that. God bless you.

“Wear white at night.”

Santa Fe, NM

#40936 Aug 24, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
You can ignore this. Just don't be telling my what I understand and don't understand.

You are of course free to now embark upon an anti-Catolic rant.
I've heard them all.

“Wear white at night.”

Santa Fe, NM

#40937 Aug 24, 2012
Wake Up wrote:
<quoted text>
I know exactly what the Holy Spirit is. The Holy Spirit lives in me and guides me to do the will of God. The Holy Spirit leads me throughout my life and helps me discern lies from truth. The Holy Spirit guides me to make the right decisions and shows me which paths will lead me to the plans God has for my life. The Holy Spirit brings people and events into my life that will help me fulfill my purpose on Earth. The Holy Spirit protects me and opens my eyes to the deception of Satans lies.
I retracted that comment. If you want to go the Trinity route and say the Holy Spirit is some kind of 'thing' I won't raise all kind of fuss. The personal god and anthropomorphising of the Holy Spirit were coming into vogue around the time of Christ anyway.
Wake Up

Jasper, IN

#40939 Aug 24, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
You can ignore this. Just don't be telling my what I understand and don't understand.
You are of course free to now embark upon an anti-Catolic rant.
I've heard them all.
I did not ignore this I explained it two pages ago...keep up igore.

“Wear white at night.”

Santa Fe, NM

#40940 Aug 24, 2012
Wake Up wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not threatening anyone...I am not trying to convert you. I am not superstitious at all. I do not believe in superstitions. I am not judging anyone. I am merely saying what the Bible says about those who have heard the word and do refuse its truth. If you feel threatened...then that is your problem. Maybe that should tell you something.
You're threatening him with Biblegod and that is chickenshit. You should be able to rise above that with the Holy Spirit residing in you and stuff.

If you hope to convert an atheist starting with I'm right on account of my magic decoder ring and you're wrong can't be expected to gain much traction. It kind of makes it look like you got nothin'.

Let me give it a try.

“Wear white at night.”

Santa Fe, NM

#40941 Aug 24, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
No detail in the Bible eh? So what you're saying is that the Bible is as useless as a rubber crutch?
Thought so.
Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your imaginary Lord and Savior?

“Wear white at night.”

Santa Fe, NM

#40942 Aug 24, 2012
Wake Up wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not ignore this I explained it two pages ago...keep up igore.
That's what I'm trying to tell you, igore. You did a decent job, for a fundie, explaining John 3:8.
Wake Up

Jasper, IN

#40943 Aug 24, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
You're threatening him with Biblegod and that is chickenshit. You should be able to rise above that with the Holy Spirit residing in you and stuff.
If you hope to convert an atheist starting with I'm right on account of my magic decoder ring and you're wrong can't be expected to gain much traction. It kind of makes it look like you got nothin'.
Let me give it a try.
I'm not trying to convert anyone...if your threatened by Gods word that has nothing to do with me. All I said was that that if your looking for solid proof of Gods existence...you will find it but by then if you have not accepted Gods word and refuse to believe...you will be in hell according to the Bible. That has nothing to do with me. Tat is what I believe and you are free to believe in whatever you like. If you dont want to believe in God...that is your choice. I have as much right to voice my opinion as you do yours.
Wake Up

Jasper, IN

#40944 Aug 24, 2012
You dont believe in God...but you believe in men....that's funny!!!!!!!

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#40945 Aug 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text>Good day Brother, words, languages are formed daily, yearly, not by apes but by humans...
By human you mean the hairless ape.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#40946 Aug 24, 2012
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually evolution has been validated by science. I've given you that information many times but you've been unable to address it. That's not our problem.
Validated ?.....In This Case It Means A Possiblity.

Ohhhh Scary
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#40947 Aug 24, 2012
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> By human you mean the hairless ape.
Sounds LIke Your Discribing Michelle Obama....Were Not Related Either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min VetnorsGate 1,744,389
News Trump wants military to secure border with Mexico 29 min Concerned 383
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 39 min cpeter1313 336,650
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 51 min Quirky 243,394
News California: The Crazy State 56 min DeadLeftistFunDitch 267
News With her father hospitalized, Meghan McCain twe... 59 min Tumor 3
Cardi B Confirms She's Pregnant by Who? 1 hr The Art of the Co... 3
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 hr Rednek 71,315
News Comey speculates Russians may have damaging inf... 2 hr flyin hawaiian 224