Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 221925 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#28727 May 30, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Good and factual , I have enjoyed reading your posts, sadly they cannot penetrate their faith. Remember they only have three rebuttals, your uneducated, a fundie or a liar.
Usually, sane people just stick to the facts. Can you provide any for your faith?

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#28728 May 30, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Good and factual , I have enjoyed reading your posts, sadly they cannot penetrate their faith. Remember they only have three rebuttals, your uneducated, a fundie or a liar.
All three is the de facto standard for uneducated fundie liears.
KJV

United States

#28729 May 30, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>Good and factual , I have enjoyed reading your posts, sadly they cannot penetrate their faith. Remember they only have three rebuttals, your uneducated, a fundie or a liar.
Thank you

St. Croix valley

#28730 May 30, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Most atheists know the difference between your and you're.

Education is a wonderful thing....it allows you to rise above believing in ancient myths and lets you have independent thought.
KJV

United States

#28731 May 30, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Usually, sane people just stick to the facts. Can you provide any for your faith?
Definition: Faith - belief without proof

St. Croix valley

#28732 May 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Definition: Faith - belief without proof
Definition: Belief without proof - Idiocy.

One could believe in anything then and just call it faith...oh wait, that is what religion is.
KJV

United States

#28733 May 30, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Most atheists know the difference between your and you're.

Education is a wonderful thing....it allows you to rise above believing in ancient myths and lets you have independent thought.
See that's all they do when given facts that hurt their religion. They look for the undotted I or uncrossed t

They have nothing else.

St. Croix valley

#28734 May 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
See that's all they do when given facts that hurt their religion. They look for the undotted I or uncrossed t
They have nothing else.
No, we just look for unintelligent discourse. you give that in spades.
Maccoat

Titusville, PA

#28735 May 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Two different SPECIES cannot cross breed a successful off spring.
Hence dogs DNA showing all the traits we see in dogs were always there as the Russian Grey Fox experiment over a 50+ year ongoing shows us. This experiment has shown all the same traits in dogs could also be breed in the Grey Fox and now here is the big point so don't miss it. NO NEW DNA. All the traits as all the dog but NO NEW DNA. Those traits were always there NO EVOLUTION!
Men did not breed dogs into a new SPECIES. Never happened.
(science) Don't let the facts get in the way of a good theory.
What about ring species.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#28736 May 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
They have nothing else.
Facts?

You gave FACTS?

Damn.....Must have missed that.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#28737 May 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
They have nothing else.
Nope. You are just so use to ignoring reality that you ignore all evidence destroying your entire belief system, and there's a lot of that.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#28738 May 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
They have nothing else.
The only fact you've contributed is 'dogs are dogs'. I just don't see too much debate over the matter.

I have six dogs. One of them is a Mexican Hairless. A frame shift mutation in the FOX13 gene was selected in hot climates about 13,000 years ago. Unfortunately, the FOX13 gene has significant impact on all ectoderm so Mexican Hairless dogs generally have bad teeth and other problems. Hardly a masterpiece of evolution but he's still my Cholo and I love him. I love them all.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Some stable somewhere

#28739 May 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact polar bears have mated in the wild with grizzle bears.
Yes! That's not rare, KJV, that's part of how gene flow takes place between semi-bounded gene pools (or "species")- it's part of evolution.

Mule deer mate with white tail deer, ruffed grouse mate with spruce grouse, ravens mate with crows, and so on - these kinds of "inter-species" matings (gene flow) take place at the borders of populations. They sometimes produce viable individuals and sometimes just make stupid ones.

For ex, when threatened by predators spruce grouse fly into trees. Ruff grouse fly about 100 yards away and then run left or right about 50 yards. But the half spruce/half ruff grouse are pretty dumb and fly about 10 feet away, land, and resume eating. So you can imagine they don't usually live so long in nature.

These intersections of species happen especially with recent speciation. So the closer two species are in genetic terms, the more recently they have split from a last common ancestor, the easier it is for them to mate and produce viable offspring.

In fact, genetic studies between Homo, Pan and Gorilla have clearly demonstrated that after the hominin speciation event took place, hominin still mated with Pan and Gorilla at different parts of their range. So gene flow continued between the three genera despite having already diverged.

That's why the species concept isn't perfect. It makes much more sense to see species as loosely bounded gene pools - they can be invaded by viruses, bacteria and genes from gene flow.

Some stable somewhere

#28740 May 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
No, I'm sorry, you're mistaken.

You are giving the simple biological species concept. However, there are many more - the ecological species concept, the recognition species concept (polar and grizzle bears don't recognize each other as mates, same species), phenotypic (look the same), phylogenetic (share the same evolutionary history).

Remember, any given species is just our arbitrary, language based way of saying "all those animals fit into the same category!"

However, nature doesn't work like that. It's messy - bacteria can pass genes between unrelated organisms, viruses can inject their DNA into organisms, parasites can cause coevolution, and conspecifics may migrate a lot.

In other words, the species concept itself should be questioned - and, ultimately, should be based on a sophisticated understanding of how DNA works (and percentages of DNA used at various life stages of the organism.
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be sorry the mistake is all yours
Nope.
KJV

United States

#28741 May 30, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Definition: Belief without proof - Idiocy.

One could believe in anything then and just call it faith...oh wait, that is what religion is.
One could if they choose to

There is so much out there backing up our faith that close to 80% of the people in the USA are practicing Christians

God requires faith and will not give you your required proof.

Some stable somewhere

#28742 May 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be interesting to say the least.
Trouble is God going to destroy Earth long before that (pretty sure the time table set down in the bible won't make it that long) then he will build a new Earth
Oh well.
Nope, that won't happen.

Why does your religion want the world to end so badly?
KJV

United States

#28743 May 30, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>No, we just look for unintelligent discourse. you give that in spades.
Fool

Seeing as you seem to know it all then you would know that even Einstein was dyslexic.

Famous People With Dyslexia:
Were Einstein,
Da Vinci and Edison

The popular image that men of eminence are learning disabled promotes an aura of romanticism around the learning disabilities (LD) field. Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci and Thomas Edison are usually at the top of the list of famous dyslexics.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#28744 May 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
There is so much out there backing up our faith that close to 80% of the people in the USA are practicing Christians
Popular opinion does not make that opinion fact.

St. Croix valley

#28745 May 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it that backs up your faith? myths? Proven lies and impossibilities? Have fun with those...

St. Croix valley

#28747 May 30, 2012
KJV wrote:
<quoted text>
Fool
Seeing as you seem to know it all then you would know that even Einstein was dyslexic.
Famous People With Dyslexia:
Were Einstein,
Da Vinci and Edison
The popular image that men of eminence are learning disabled promotes an aura of romanticism around the learning disabilities (LD) field. Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci and Thomas Edison are usually at the top of the list of famous dyslexics.
What does dyslexia have to do with anything discussed here today?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min southerngirl 1,565,303
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min WelbyMD 242,289
News By a 2-to-1 margin, Americans prefer Obamacare ... 5 min CodeTalker 342
News President Trump's new message man Anthony Scara... 9 min Retribution 43
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 10 min Oregonducks 16,753
News James Comey fired as FBI director 15 min Jaimie 4,148
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 15 min Patriot AKA Bozo 37,124
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Julia 279,811
More from around the web