Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 223296 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#25083 May 6, 2012
Illustrated Man wrote:
One cannot have a finite, without a infinite. They define each other.(Infinite being "God")
You play bullshit word games.

And you are dodging the question anyhow, namely how could a God DO things "outside of time"?

It takes time to feel lonely, to talk to oneself and decide to create a world, time to create that world, and with it, time.

You're claiming, somehow, that your God did things that it takes time to do before he had created time. Makes no sense.
bohart

White Pine, TN

#25084 May 6, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no information involved. The the feathers are a result of a mutation of the scales. You're really lowballing these again. Can't you come up with something challenging to explain?
Your trying to be very simplistic with your answer and it won't do.No information involved?All the information to create YOU is in your DNA so you will be replicated accurately ,as it is in the reptile. Where does the reptile get the feather information? A mutation does not create any new information in the DNA, we won't even go through the ridiculus notion that a perfectly good lizard needs to sprout feathers.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#25085 May 6, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that the Mayan were like 5000 years later.
No, but sane people who have really studied their calendar do know that it did not predict the end of the world, it was just the end of another, larger cycle.

People who like to make money off of suckers and gullible idiots saw a gold mine and started doing what snake-oil salesmen have always done...fleecing people like you.

Pretty much how the christian church started.

St. Croix valley

#25086 May 6, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Your trying to be very simplistic with your answer and it won't do.No information involved?All the information to create YOU is in your DNA so you will be replicated accurately ,as it is in the reptile. Where does the reptile get the feather information? A mutation does not create any new information in the DNA, we won't even go through the ridiculus notion that a perfectly good lizard needs to sprout feathers.
if the climate got colder or the species of lizard moved into a colder area, one that developed scales that provided more insulation would sure do better.

You do realize that we have fossils of dinosaurs that could not fly but had feathers, don't you?

Langoliers

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#25087 May 6, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>We have plenty of evidence of singularities. right here in our own galaxy. All the terra terrabytes worth of evidence points to a singularity at the beginning of our universe, which would not be nothing.

Again, you should at least learn the very basics of a theory before you attempt to debunk it, lest you look like a fool.
I'm sorry, you have found me out. I am a fool.

You just can't handle it when someone does not buy into the same text book you read that you know is fact.

Anyone not following your lead must be stupid after all it's right in front of you in your text book proof after proof and idiots like me just won't buy into it.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#25088 May 6, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
For the benefit of all the frakking lying creationists in the thread (which yeah, means every single one of you) mutations can and do create new genetic information. All the time. And this is NOT a revelation to biologists, but it IS a revelation to the ignorant who can't help but pretend that reality isn't real just because they don' like that stoopid ol' evil ol' evilushun! Mutations can change, subtract, and add to the genome. Period.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#25089 May 6, 2012
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, you need to ask more complex questions for more complex answers. If you keep asking such simple questions you will keep getting simple answers. Feathers are just a different form of scales. Nothing "just sprouts" them, but when the genetic code that governs how scales grow is altered just right, there are a lot of bits to this you see, they grow as feathers instead of solid scales. Feathers are actually just soft scales. So once this mutation happens in the reproductive genetic code, the offspring which this happens in will have soft scales, in other words, feathers.

There, I answered your simple question with a complicated answer by stating more information than needed to answer the question, happier now? Next simple question you want explained way more than it needs to be.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#25090 May 6, 2012
Illustrated Man wrote:
<quoted text>
She said
So don't take it up with me.(shrug)

Langoliers

Location hidden

#25091 May 6, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>All the people that believed in theri gods before you said the same thing, I'm sure. Why don't you believe that those gods existed and created the universe?
Miss read sorry

Let me say it this way.

Someday maybe all religion will fade and all God fearing men might disappear. This Does not change the fact that God did what he did or that he will judge all on judgement day.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#25092 May 6, 2012
Illustrated Man wrote:
<quoted text>
ahhh, one with insight.very good.
Lango is a YEC. If you call that "insight"...

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#25093 May 6, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok so you want to strengthen part of the first amendment (separation of church and state) while eliminating another part (freedom of speach).
No I don't want to muzzle freedom of speech...except the church on politics...the law is already there, they cannot get so deep in politics that they are able to influence elections. It's part of the separation of church and state. If they do this they lose their tax exemptions.

See it all goes together quite easily. Religion should not have any effect on anyone who doesn't want it. Your god is ridiculous, as are all gods (and non-existent), and I don't want to even think about him/her/it having any effect on me or my family
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#25094 May 6, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Now don't show your ignorance. God it not pop out of thin air ( he made thin air)
Nor did he ( I use the term "he" unintending to label God as a sexual being)
Um, too late. God is consistently described as a "he" in Jewish creationism and its offshoots. Which is quite absurd really, but...
Langoliers wrote:
spontanously appear. God created time the he created you in it. There is little chance you would ever be able to understand much about that kind of superior being.
If there is little chance we would understand it there is little chance you would understand it either.

No-one on Earth knows more about God than anyone else. That is, presuming it even exists.
Langoliers wrote:
And here's the real mind blowing part. He gave you the total freedom to do what your doing against him. Why would he do that?
God said " Revenge is mine. "
Sorry, but if we have freedom then God does not exist. If we can surprise God then it is not God. If we can't surprise God then we are not free. If God is omnipotent and all knowing, then as far as "He" is concerned, our futures are written already, and our "free will" is a mere illusion.

You really have no concept of the idea of an eternal being that exists beyond spacetime as we know it, do you? You still think of "forever" as being just a "really really long time".
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#25095 May 6, 2012
Illustrated Man wrote:
One cannot have a finite, without a infinite. They define each other.(Infinite being "God")
Bollox.(shrug)
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#25096 May 6, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yea the big bang. When nothing exploded great science there.
Or a singular exploded then of course we have to deal with where did the singular come from? And what ever made it explode? And why did it just happen to coincide with the start of time. And what is a singular. Why was it just sitting there waiting to explode?
Your queries are contradictory. If you had any understanding of the concept, you would know why time "just so happened" to coincide with the Big Bang.

As ever, incredulity doth not a valid argument make.

Langoliers

Location hidden

#25097 May 6, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>We have found how many exoplanets now yet no one has discovered this mythical planet yet? why?
First let me point out I bring these stone tablets up for the book of Genesis.

Science has many times said that our moon was at one time part of the earth and a mighty collision caused the moon. These tablets say the same thing.

Scientist have stated that this could be true and a planet moving very fast could be so dark that we would not see it until it was too late. I believe NASA has a web page on this.

Then, Sept 30, 1846 --- one week after the discovery of Neptune, Le Verrier declared that there may be still another unknown planet out there. On October 10, Neptune's large moon Triton was discovered, which yielded an easy way to accurately determine the mass of Neptune, which turned out to be 2% larger than expected from the perturbations upon Uranus. Finally, astronomer Tombaugh found Pluto in 1930 - albeit six degrees away from the calculated point of their search for another planet beyond Neptune at that time.

It was quickly realized that Pluto was too small to have the supposed gravitational effect on Neptune, and so the search went on beyond Pluto, for yet one more missing planet, that we know call Planet X.

Dr. Harrington's NASA archived Research
Dr. Harrington / NASA's Planet X (Video)

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#25098 May 6, 2012
Illustrated Man wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think by abolishing God you will do away with evil?
You can't abolish that which doesn't exist.

Langoliers

Location hidden

#25099 May 6, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yeah, erm ....

... have at it then. I keep forgetting that they are lost causes. But I just can't stand how much of an embarrassment these conspiracy nuts and creatards are to the entire human species. Everyone is judged by their worst, and we'll be judged by these morons ... I need a happy pill now.
I would be willing to bet some of us have a higher IQ then you my dear.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#25100 May 6, 2012
Illustrated Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I try to see things from all perspectives, And this is what I define as true critical thinking. Not just the bias secular views of science.
Science by definition is the application of critical thinking.

Fundies have a problem with that, as they think criticisms based on ignorance is equal to critical thinking. Not surprisingly they don't apply critical thinking to their preconceived ideas (Goddidit with magic).

St. Croix valley

#25101 May 6, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, you have found me out. I am a fool.
You just can't handle it when someone does not buy into the same text book you read that you know is fact.
Anyone not following your lead must be stupid after all it's right in front of you in your text book proof after proof and idiots like me just won't buy into it.
So you don't think black holes exist? every bit of evidence for them is false?

i don't care if you don't understand science, but when you try and disprove things you don't even have the slightest understanding of, i am going to try and show you where you have erred. You can deny the world is round because your religion tells you it is true or some ancient stones had it inscribed on them, but it still won't be true. the same goes for the silly theories you have promulgated on this thread.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#25102 May 6, 2012
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, but it's best to think of it as outside of time.
My God is a perfect God and under a perfect system sin must be punished.
God could not stand sin so much that when Jesus took on the sins of the world while on the cross that God left him. For the first time Jesus was not with the Father so he yelled out "Father, Father why have you forsaken me?"
Sin is very ugly in Gods eyes so he has banished it to hell, with the fallen angel Lucifer who fell from grace because God informed him that man will sit in a higher spot then the angels in heaven because man lived live under temptation of sin.
God is responsible for sin as God created it.

So much for "perfection".

In fact if one were to take the myths literally, everything would have been "perfect" if God didn't bother to create the universe at all. Then there wouldn't have been all these problems.(shrug)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 min Quivering lip Lib... 51,465
News Diagnosing Trump: Did America elect a madman? 3 min Doe 331
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Earl 1,680,460
News Leaders say Trump presidency is at odds with ML... 5 min NOBAMA 55
News Members of Haitian community react to Trump's c... 6 min Chilli J 253
News Oprah speech has Democrats buzzing about possib... 11 min Doe 419
News White House will override Obama's climate plan 11 min Patriot AKA Bozo 2,545
News Bipartisan deal would create 12-year citizenshi... 24 min CodeTalker 65
More from around the web