U.S. ending pursuit of illegal immigr...

U.S. ending pursuit of illegal immigrants who commit minor crimes

There are 149 comments on the San Jose Mercury News story from Dec 22, 2012, titled U.S. ending pursuit of illegal immigrants who commit minor crimes. In it, San Jose Mercury News reports that:

Federal agents no longer will scoop up jailed illegal immigrants who had been picked up by police for traffic offenses and other petty crimes, the nation's top immigration enforcer announced Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Jose Mercury News.

freebird

Long Beach, CA

#66 Dec 28, 2012
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Another person who can not provide even a single example of an undocumented person being rewarded by authorities for doing something that an American would be punished for.
Although it had absolutely nothing to do with the topic the AAA estimates that 1 in 10 drivers does not have a valid license.
I'm not surprised by the 1 in 10 since there are so many illegal aliens and their anchors.
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#67 Dec 28, 2012
freebird wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not surprised by the 1 in 10 since there are so many illegal aliens and their anchors.
I take it math is not your strong suit.
freebird

Long Beach, CA

#68 Dec 28, 2012
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it math is not your strong suit.
Actually, it is! I'm just not very good with the fuzzy math.
;)
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#69 Dec 28, 2012
freebird wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it is! I'm just not very good with the fuzzy math.
;)
Then why are you playing dumb now? Anybody with math skills would know your statements are absurd.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#70 Dec 28, 2012
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? You change the subject, but it does not help. In the last post you said that if an undocumented person and another person both commit the same civil offense, the American will be punished and the undocumented person will be rewarded or as you call it given a "free pass". Here is your challenge. Give me one example where this has ever happened? Just one. Be specific. We want to know what the offense was, what punishment the American received and what type of reward the undocumented person received for committing the exact same offense.
You seem to have a comprehension problem. I said
"True there is a double standard. If you are citizens and commit a civil offence you will most likely pay a fine and possibly in the extreme case receive a short jail sentence. If you are an illegal alien you get a free pass."
I never said "the same civil offense".
The article, if you actually read, it says "federal agents will no longer scoop up illegal immigrants who had been picked up by police for traffic offenses and other petty crimes,
In other words they will not be charged for the civil offense of being in the country illegally, thus getting a free pass for committing a civil offence and they are allowed to continue committing the offense. As an American citizen I can guarantee you that if I operate a business without a license, a civil offence, drive with an open container of alcohol in my car,. a civil offence, drive with out insurance, a civil offence, or get caught committing any number of other civil offences I will not be left go and allowed to keep violating the law. At the very least I will be forced to stop violating the law. This in the case of an illegal alien would be the same as deportation. No actual punishment only being prevented from continuing to violate the law. Yet as the article stated illegal aliens will not be prosecuted or even deported when they are caught.
freebird

Long Beach, CA

#71 Dec 28, 2012
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why are you playing dumb now? Anybody with math skills would know your statements are absurd.
I don't think so! If the government says there are 12 million illegal aliens, then you know it has to be at least twice that amount. Add in the anchor rats that don't obey our law and you probably have about 19 million illegal drivers on the road. About 1 out of 10 drivers.
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#72 Dec 28, 2012
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to have a comprehension problem. I said
"True there is a double standard. If you are citizens and commit a civil offence you will most likely pay a fine and possibly in the extreme case receive a short jail sentence. If you are an illegal alien you get a free pass."
I never said "the same civil offense".
The article, if you actually read, it says "federal agents will no longer scoop up illegal immigrants who had been picked up by police for traffic offenses and other petty crimes,
In other words they will not be charged for the civil offense of being in the country illegally, thus getting a free pass for committing a civil offence and they are allowed to continue committing the offense. As an American citizen I can guarantee you that if I operate a business without a license, a civil offence, drive with an open container of alcohol in my car,. a civil offence, drive with out insurance, a civil offence, or get caught committing any number of other civil offences I will not be left go and allowed to keep violating the law. At the very least I will be forced to stop violating the law. This in the case of an illegal alien would be the same as deportation. No actual punishment only being prevented from continuing to violate the law. Yet as the article stated illegal aliens will not be prosecuted or even deported when they are caught.
So you are talking about "double standards" for dissimilar infractions. Hmm. Kind of negates any possibility for a double standard doesn't it.

If you go back and read the article you will see that nowhere does it say anybody is getting a pass on a civil infraction. It says that federal agents will not get involved. It says nothing about local authorities letting anybody off for whatever they did.

Do you know of any typical cases where somebody operated a business without a license, drove with an open container of alcohol or drove without insurance and the local police called in federal authorities? Doesn't happen.
freebird

Long Beach, CA

#73 Dec 28, 2012
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are talking about "double standards" for dissimilar infractions. Hmm. Kind of negates any possibility for a double standard doesn't it.
If you go back and read the article you will see that nowhere does it say anybody is getting a pass on a civil infraction. It says that federal agents will not get involved. It says nothing about local authorities letting anybody off for whatever they did.
Do you know of any typical cases where somebody operated a business without a license, drove with an open container of alcohol or drove without insurance and the local police called in federal authorities? Doesn't happen.
It should if they are in the country illegally.
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#75 Dec 28, 2012
freebird wrote:
<quoted text>
It should if they are in the country illegally.
Another non sequitur.
freebird

Long Beach, CA

#76 Dec 28, 2012
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Another non sequitur.
I agree! Everything you post is a non sequitur.
FritoBandito

United States

#77 Dec 28, 2012
freebird wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree! Everything you post is a non sequitur.
... and everything you post utter BS. So, when was the last time a Mexican punched you in the face or took your job? Just saying....

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#79 Dec 29, 2012
Juan wrote:
The majority of the undocumented immigrants like myself contribute to society. I wire new homes that help keep the prices low so you can afford them.
Rubbish.
swxxxs

Masontown, PA

#80 Dec 29, 2012
youtube.com/watch... also no more squatter Rights,,and crime is legal now in the USA?
Juan

Pearland, TX

#81 Dec 29, 2012
El Cid wrote:
<quoted text>
I am retired USAF of 25 years, retired 2 years ago. I have been all over Europe, Africa, Middle and Near East, as well as most of Central and South America.
What? Not Mexico ?
sba131

United States

#82 Dec 29, 2012
FritoBandito wrote:
<quoted text>
... and everything you post utter BS. So, when was the last time a Mexican punched you in the face or took your job? Just saying....
You have been reported.
ima

El Paso, TX

#83 Dec 29, 2012
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Not Mexico ?
NO ONE wants to SPEND money in your abandoned third world country!
FritoBandito

San Diego, CA

#84 Dec 29, 2012
sba131 wrote:
<quoted text> You have been reported.
... and you deported.

“Legals against Illegals!”

Since: Dec 11

Willing to stand and Fight!

#85 Dec 29, 2012
Yet a legal American will be fined and/or jailed for those offenses!
What a load of crap.
Obama must love the flavor of ass for all of the asskissing of illegals he does!
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#86 Dec 29, 2012
DfwDude wrote:
Yet a legal American will be fined and/or jailed for those offenses!
What a load of crap.
Obama must love the flavor of ass for all of the asskissing of illegals he does!
Really? I have never heard of a "legal American" being jailed for unlawful presence in the US. Do you have any examples?

Since: Apr 10

Houston, TX

#87 Dec 30, 2012
Don't be fooled, ICE has no interest in them unless they are wanted for a felony. ICE is a federal agency. When you pop up on their radar you can bet that it's for a felony.

California does not want any illegal alien criminals deported felons or not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News By a 2-to-1 margin, Americans prefer Obamacare ... 3 min IMpeach Now 388
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min VetnorsGate 1,565,655
News 'Let Obamacare fail,' Trump says after GOP plan... 10 min something tells me 75
News Hick Hopper Kid Rock Running for Senate 15 min Oh shush up 2
News Trump claims witch hunt, says he's most hounded... 15 min Lol 1,558
News How should an angry liberal celebrate the Fourt... 17 min Mnbvc 559
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 18 min nanoanomaly 221,962
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 24 min Mnbvc 16,886
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr MORE 279,909
News President Trump's new message man Anthony Scara... 2 hr Maxxx_Payne 74
More from around the web