On Martha's Vineyard, a stark look at...

On Martha's Vineyard, a stark look at income inequality

There are 282 comments on the The Washington Post story from Aug 17, 2013, titled On Martha's Vineyard, a stark look at income inequality. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

Once a month, on a street of picture-perfect clapboard houses, white picket fences and fluttering American flags, families gather in this wealthy Massachusetts enclave for a lifeline.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#22 Aug 17, 2013
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
I watched a Detroit city council meeting years ago.(probably because I didn't have anything better to do) A white businessman was trying to get permits for a new business when one of the council members went on a racist rant calling him a 'cracker' amongst other insults. The businessman walked taking jobs with him. I remember when they tried a city officials and had enough evidence to convict him. Unfortunately one juror thought prosecuting a corrupt city official was somehow 'racist.' He walked! No wonder Detroit is in the shape it is in. I remember when it used to be a vibrant city until the 67 riots. Last I heard their schools had a 70% dropout rate!
Actually they don't really have any schools, or anything else.
drink The hive

New York, NY

#23 Aug 17, 2013
And Me Happen 2 Be In The Same Time Zone...

http://www.peterlewis.com/wp-content/uploads/...
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#24 Aug 17, 2013
Baba Yaga wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama , like you, is a chronic blame-shifter, whether pointing fingers at Bush, ATMs, the Arab Spring, tsunamis and earthquakes, Europe, the GOP, Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, Super PACs, the Supreme Court, the Chamber of Commerce, and countless other people and organizations.
He, like you, simply is unable to take responsibility for the problems that have occurred on his watch.
Well yeah, it wasn't Bush's fault that at the end of
his presidency the economy was losing 700,000 jobs per
month, the housing industry was in the tank, there
were two unfinished wars to fight, the stock market had
lost half its value, the federal deficit had grown by
$8 trillion and there were no WMD.

It wasn't his fault. Golly gee.
Herbert Zilka

Tonawanda, NY

#25 Aug 17, 2013
Doesn't that liberal Gaylord James Taylor live there? And ugly Carly Simon?
Libtards Suck

Belle Vernon, PA

#26 Aug 17, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
Jesus, you guys whine - dears there will always be rich folks and there will always be you.
At least this president was not born with a silver spoon/legacy and he had to work for it!
Sucks, doesn't it?!
You suck and everyone know it. This 'president' as you call him is an illegal usurper and you are a total moron.
Libtards Suck

Belle Vernon, PA

#27 Aug 17, 2013
Herbert Zilka wrote:
He's seen fire and he's seen rain too.
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#28 Aug 17, 2013
Libtards Suck wrote:
<quoted text> This 'president' as you call him is an illegal usurper.
This president was voted in by WE THE PEOPLE twice - yes twice.

In 2016 WE THE PEOPLE get to look at your candidates and see whether they are worthy of our vote.

You have a lot of work to do, guys!

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#29 Aug 17, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2016 WE THE PEOPLE get to look at your candidates and see whether they are worthy of our vote.
"We the people" only consisted of 61% of the registered voters.

Had the other 39% voted, chances are better than good that Obama bin Lyin' would not have been elected.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#30 Aug 17, 2013
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. He should have taken responsibility for Hurricane
Sandy, the fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas and the
shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary.
So tell us smartass. Which negative aspects of his presidency HAS Obama taken responsibility for? There are many so you should have no problem naming a few.

Location hidden

#31 Aug 17, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
Jesus, you guys whine - dears there will always be rich folks and there will always be you.
At least this president was not born with a silver spoon/legacy and he had to work for it!
Sucks, doesn't it?!
Work for it?

You're kidding, right?

He was raised by a wealthy white family and then turned his back on them.

His only "work" was as a community organizer in Chicago, groomed for politics by a group of avowed communists.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#32 Aug 17, 2013
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
Well yeah, it wasn't Bush's fault that at the end of
his presidency the economy was losing 700,000 jobs per
month, the housing industry was in the tank, there
were two unfinished wars to fight, the stock market had
lost half its value, the federal deficit had grown by
$8 trillion and there were no WMD.
It wasn't his fault. Golly gee.
We're talking about OBAMA'S failed policies. You know, the so-called transformational, world-historical genius who has been in office for over 4 1/2 years?

OBAMA'S (not Bush's) failures mount one atop the other–from Obamacare and his porkulus package, to the worst economic recovery on record, to the collapse of his foreign policy, to (the phony) Benghazi and the IRS scandals. To accept responsibility would blow his circuits. He copes by blaming others and pretending that what is happening in Washington has nothing at all to do with him.

So go ahead, keep bringing up the old "Yeah, but Bush" crap. That only proves you're unable to defend Obama and his pitiful presidency.
See the Light

El Paso, TX

#33 Aug 17, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
You neglected to say how you Dems had to lie and cheat to get him elected. Illegals, dead people, and voting several times instead of once. Something to be proud of for you!
Cat74

United States

#34 Aug 18, 2013
Democrats have noting to be proud of in their first black President. He flouts the very law he swore to uphold, and he has an A G that is just like him. The weekend is half over, and in Chicago there are 4 dead, and 14 wounded. The President needs to send in the troops. Do you ever remember that chaos during the Bush Administration. President's lead by example. Now they are talking about Jeb Bush running for President in 2016. I didn't agree, but my God, anything is better then this.

“Communism. It's everywhere!”

Since: May 08

Lockport, NY

#35 Aug 18, 2013
Herbert Zilka wrote:
In Carly Simon's defense, she is in her late 60s and a breast cancer survivor. Nobody is going to be good looking after a one-two punch like that. However, I never viewed her as seriously talented. Her dad is the Simon in the publishing company of Simon & Schuster. Had she not been a Simon, the world would never had heard of her.

The Commie

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#37 Aug 18, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
"We the people" only consisted of 61% of the registered voters.
Had the other 39% voted, chances are better than good that Obama bin Lyin' would not have been elected.
why didn't they vote, then? are they truly citizens if they can't even be bothered to participate in the most basic of their civic duties?

Location hidden

#38 Aug 18, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>why didn't they vote, then? are they truly citizens if they can't even be bothered to participate in the most basic of their civic duties?
I suspect they didn't vote because it was a choice between Dumb and Dumber, not that I consider that much of an excuse.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#39 Aug 18, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect they didn't vote because it was a choice between Dumb and Dumber, not that I consider that much of an excuse.
really? a sitting president that had dealt with the worst recession we have seen, with global impact, two wars and the Arab Spring unrest and you consider that a dumb person?

and then we had Romney, a proven business leader and successful Governor of on of our states?

What would it take for you to consider someone intelligent?

If you ever decide to deal in reality, let me know.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#40 Aug 18, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
In the last election, did you vote for the Candidate, that would actually, lower our DEFICIT?......
See the Light

El Paso, TX

#41 Aug 18, 2013
thenycommie wrote:
<quoted text>
In Carly Simon's defense, she is in her late 60s and a breast cancer survivor. Nobody is going to be good looking after a one-two punch like that. However, I never viewed her as seriously talented. Her dad is the Simon in the publishing company of Simon & Schuster. Had she not been a Simon, the world would never had heard of her.
The Commie
Why does Janet Jackson try to imitate her?

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#42 Aug 18, 2013
SIR LANCELOT wrote:
Obama should feel right at home with the other super wealthy liberals.
Oh, Prancelot...after all this time you still blame your middle class mediocrity on others. How convenient. Hey, here's a thought. Invest in an education and you too can be President someday.......lmao.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Here's My Dream: Deport the Illegal Alien "Nigh... 1 min Wildchild 1
News GOP health bill all but dead; McCain again deal... 6 min freddie 77
News Longmont City Council to consider DACA support ... 7 min Mo Betta 1
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min Shrug 1,603,014
News Trump endorses boycott of NFL 24 min RaidersPhart 48
News Dem Rep Who Compared Illegal Immigrants To Holo... 38 min Fed Up in North C... 1
News Charles Barkley 44 min Super Glue 4
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 48 min Agents of Corruption 10,303
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Patriot 289,270
More from around the web