Disability Insurance: America's $124 ...

Disability Insurance: America's $124 Billion Secret Welfare Program

There are 6 comments on the www.theatlantic.com story from Mar 26, 2013, titled Disability Insurance: America's $124 Billion Secret Welfare Program. In it, www.theatlantic.com reports that:

The number of former workers enrolled in the Social Security disability program has more than doubled in the last two decades, and the reasons why have little to do with the health of our workforce.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.theatlantic.com.

George the disabled perso

Sulphur Springs, TX

#1 Mar 26, 2013
Is this a news story to provide me with more information that I can use to make my life better, or a story to provide hype for debates like, if we had public health care we would have fewer disabled people?

Taxpayers provide millions to educate children, while allowing those with a health problem, that a working class person can not afford to see a doctor about, becomes a disabling condition.

In truth, in todays society, many have a health problem that could be called disabling. That group of individuals will be the last group to find a job in our challenged economy. I believe that many of these individuals, despite having a disabling health problem would attempt employment, work with pain and limitations, if they could find a job that would allow them to survive.

One of the issues for those on disability, if one has health care needs, costs, then it becomes impossible to pay for any health care, while working at a low wage, versus being on disability, which, is intended to put some food on the table, and at least pays enough to get into seeing a doctor. Once again, an argument for public health care.

Truth is that business has always treated workers like disposable paper bags. Use them and when they do not suit the company purpose, throw them away. Now some want a moral outrage against those same workers, have a need to eat and have a roof over their head.

If the media wants hype, where are the news stories about those individuals who caused this economic collapse being prosecuted and going to jail. Before our economic system can heal, we need to demonstrate that financial systems can be trusted. Not because we have added crippling controls to finance,(which companies will dance around) but because there is real fear that if one steals, they will suffer the consequences. Many of those who stole are now on a private golf course, plotting a comeback.
idiots united

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Mar 26, 2013
Don't worry I have saved enough to pay our taxes this year for income taxes and real estate taxes and of course sales taxes are paid right away when buying and thern vehicle licenses insurances home and vehicle and more more more. Ain't life a ball eh? Not life a ball only for the ball players who makes millions and have many millions left to pay their bills and maybe drugs. Not funny no lol.
Dane Thorsen

AOL

#3 Mar 26, 2013
The motto of America in the 21st Century is PAY UP SUCKERS!!! We didn't measure up to previous generations and we didn't elect quality. Americans MUST accept our complete failure as citizens and parents. Everybody lusting for their neighbors hard earned $$$$.

"As not what you can do for your Country, Ask what your Countrymen can be forced to GIVE you".
Sheik Yerbouti

Richmond, IN

#4 Mar 26, 2013
If they could weed out all the fraud legitimately disabled persons could receive more help. I worked with a guy whose life's ambition was to be on disability so he didn't have to work. He finally succeeded with a ridiculous claim. I had a friend who investigated disability fraud and he showed me several pictures of 'disabled' people doing physically demanding jobs being paid under the table. We even encourage people to go on disability. Look at all of the television ads for lawyers specializing in disability claims!

SIR LANCELOT

“I just hate stupid people”

Since: Apr 07

DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

#6 Mar 27, 2013
SSI has become nothing more than a welfare check for useless lazy bums and alcoholic drug users.
Jaimie

Madison, WI

#7 Mar 27, 2013
SIR LANCELOT wrote:
SSI has become nothing more than a welfare check for useless lazy bums and alcoholic drug users.
Alcoholic Drug users? I don't work with AODA issues but to slander a crack head hahaha I mean Brain Dead individual with limited functioning cells, is NOT a diability fraud, FRAUD Is on the street doing drugs with drug dealers, COPS and they have a inability to protect and serve under the influence either.

BUT the hair strand test goes for 7 year -25 year diagnostic why dont cops and politics lawyers and judges have to go thru these testings?

Newest drug baby was not the RAVE DRUG

Power Energy virtual shots drinks
Red Bull
Coffee

Each drink held a total of 1 1/2 grams of cocaine equivelant.

Children was birthed brain dead

COurts and SOcial Services are removing them now from hosptials as a DRUG period FDA did not approve sales of these beverages in the nation NO CURE for damage cant purchase until a cure can reverse damage, YOUR SUPPOSED TO "REPORT CONTRABAND".... IDIOTS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Correction: Oil Pipeline-Protest-Lynch story 1 min Mikey 9
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min USAsince1680 1,457,994
News Green Party drops bid for Pa. election recount 2 min TRUMP WINNERS 21
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Just call me ABE 2 252,984
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min scientia potentia... 216,633
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 5 min Independent patriot 403,559
News How the ugly 2016 presidential election could c... 6 min Wanker 65
News Thousands of people march during rally at Bosto... 7 min Sorry Hill 1,973
News As anger over election of Donald Trump erupts, ... 40 min President Donald ... 2,895
More from around the web