Justice Scalia says has not expressed...

Justice Scalia says has not expressed view on gay marriage

There are 222 comments on the Reuters story from Oct 2, 2013, titled Justice Scalia says has not expressed view on gay marriage. In it, Reuters reports that:

Our day's top images, in-depth photo essays and offbeat slices of life. See the best of Reuters photography.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#218 Oct 11, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you.
My lack of support is based more on tradition.
Gee..... your support is based on a logical fallacy? Brilliant!
BS Detector

Sherman Oaks, CA

#219 Oct 11, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
There IS NO DIFFERENCE between opposing & not supporting;
I didn't think it possible, but you really are dumber than even *I* thought!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#220 Oct 12, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> I didn't think it possible, but you really are dumber than even *I* thought!
Ditto.
BS Detector

Sherman Oaks, CA

#221 Oct 12, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto.
... says the idiot who can't figure out the difference between not supporting and blatant opposition.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#222 Oct 12, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text>... says the idiot who can't figure out the difference between not supporting and blatant opposition.
There is no difference.

If you don't support marriage equality then you oppose it.

You're anti-gay regardless of what you call it.
BS Detector

Sherman Oaks, CA

#223 Oct 12, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no difference.
If you don't support marriage equality then you oppose it.
You're anti-gay regardless of what you call it.
No use even bothering with you. You're screwed up and bigoted like the Westboro Baptist Church nut jobs.

Congratulations.
BS Detector

Sherman Oaks, CA

#224 Oct 12, 2013
Neil An Blowme wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee..... your support is based on a logical fallacy? Brilliant!
So disagree with it. Considering the source (you) do you fantasize that your childish bullsh!t will change my mind? I have no illusions of changing your mind, nor do I even try to. You are entitled to your opinion.
BS Detector

Sherman Oaks, CA

#225 Oct 12, 2013
In simpler words, I don't throw a tantrum because you disagree with me. Okay, so it would be nice if your disagreement were rationale and not a hissy fit, but one can only expect/hope for so much from some people.

Okay, full disclosure. I don't throw hissy fits at all. I'm a bit too old for that nonsense. It's not my style and I'm expected to act like an adult.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#226 Oct 12, 2013
So disappointing.
BS Detector

Sherman Oaks, CA

#227 Oct 13, 2013
snyper wrote:
So disappointing.
Please specify.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#228 Oct 13, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> So disagree with it. Considering the source (you) do you fantasize that your childish bullsh!t will change my mind? I have no illusions of changing your mind, nor do I even try to. You are entitled to your opinion.
You can't change your mind if you don't have one in the first place.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#229 Oct 13, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> Interesting. What is the reason you think it is? Serious question.
And when you exchange ideas reasonably, I have no dislike of you at all.
On the rarest of occasions, I exercise discretion and keep my speculations to myself. Seeing that such sharing would only result in a useless and rather uninteresting argument, I shall today exercise discretion.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#230 Oct 13, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
There IS NO DIFFERENCE between opposing & not supporting; it's just an attempt to dodge your bigotry. That's like claiming you're not a racist because you don't support slavery, but you don't oppose it either.
Actually, one can actively oppose, be uninvolved and still oppose, be indifferent, be uninvolved but support, or actively support. If this were a 5-point scale, I suppose BSD might come out between 2 1/2 and 3. In any event, there is a big difference between opposing and actively opposing. And no, we don't require one to support--actively or not--the correction of every wrong in the world to avoid the bigot label.

To me, one crosses the line into rank bigotry when they exhibit the following behaviors in varying degrees:

1) Using stereotypes to disparage a group.(For instance: stereotypes about promiscuity, femininity of gay men, masculinity of lesbians, misogyny of gay men, hatred of men among lesbians, etc.)
2) Fabricating and actively passing along misinformation about a group.(For instance: statistics purporting short life-spans of gays, purported homosexuality of Nazi leadership, intent to destroy American values.)
3) Willful refusal to acknowledge clear evidence disproving misconceptions.
4) References to the group as not only identifiable within society but, in fact, separate and unworthy of society.

IMO, BSD does not exhibit these behaviors. I would argue that distinguishing between straight couples and gay couples through separate institutions is strongly correlated with #4. But overall, I don't think BSD crosses that line.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#231 Oct 13, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> No use even bothering with you. You're screwed up and bigoted like the Westboro Baptist Church nut jobs.
Congratulations.
And yet you just can't resist responding....

You can spin it however you want, but you're STILL an anti-gay bigot.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#232 Oct 13, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
In simpler words, I don't throw a tantrum because you disagree with me. Okay, so it would be nice if your disagreement were rationale and not a hissy fit, but one can only expect/hope for so much from some people.
Okay, full disclosure. I don't throw hissy fits at all. I'm a bit too old for that nonsense. It's not my style and I'm expected to act like an adult.
And yet you continually have a hissy fit because we all call you on your anti-gay bigotry.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#233 Oct 13, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, one can actively oppose, be uninvolved and still oppose, be indifferent, be uninvolved but support, or actively support. If this were a 5-point scale, I suppose BSD might come out between 2 1/2 and 3. In any event, there is a big difference between opposing and actively opposing. And no, we don't require one to support--actively or not--the correction of every wrong in the world to avoid the bigot label.
To me, one crosses the line into rank bigotry when they exhibit the following behaviors in varying degrees:
1) Using stereotypes to disparage a group.(For instance: stereotypes about promiscuity, femininity of gay men, masculinity of lesbians, misogyny of gay men, hatred of men among lesbians, etc.)
2) Fabricating and actively passing along misinformation about a group.(For instance: statistics purporting short life-spans of gays, purported homosexuality of Nazi leadership, intent to destroy American values.)
3) Willful refusal to acknowledge clear evidence disproving misconceptions.
4) References to the group as not only identifiable within society but, in fact, separate and unworthy of society.
IMO, BSD does not exhibit these behaviors. I would argue that distinguishing between straight couples and gay couples through separate institutions is strongly correlated with #4. But overall, I don't think BSD crosses that line.
You're letting them off the hook.

In my opinion, those individuals who stand by in silence or indifference are WORSE than those who actively oppose us.

I usually hate any Nazi comparisons, but that's how millions of Jews were led off to slaughter and the local townspeople claimed they had no idea.

It's time to pick a side. They either support equal marriage rights or they will be treated the same as the worst homophobic bigot on the planet. In my eyes they are no longer any different.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#234 Oct 13, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
You're letting them off the hook.
In my opinion, those individuals who stand by in silence or indifference are WORSE than those who actively oppose us.
I usually hate any Nazi comparisons, but that's how millions of Jews were led off to slaughter and the local townspeople claimed they had no idea.
Did you see the article in New York Magazine today about the gays in Iraq? Pretty nasty stuff. And it's a lot like that in Russia and parts of Africa today.

Honestly, I'm more concerned today about whether people oppose violence against gays than whether they support same-sex marriage. Of course, I fight hard for same-sex marriage in the US because that's were I live. But I'm well aware that AFA and their ilk are behind the violence around the world. And they'll bring it here if the world does not oppose him.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#235 Oct 13, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see the article in New York Magazine today about the gays in Iraq? Pretty nasty stuff. And it's a lot like that in Russia and parts of Africa today.
Honestly, I'm more concerned today about whether people oppose violence against gays than whether they support same-sex marriage. Of course, I fight hard for same-sex marriage in the US because that's were I live. But I'm well aware that AFA and their ilk are behind the violence around the world. And they'll bring it here if the world does not oppose him.
Exactly my point.

Marriage equality is just the current equal rights issue in the US and gets all the focus.

If people can find a way to justify not allowing same-sex couples to marry, then they can justify just about anything- including murder. That's why I don't let them pretend they are anything BUT anti-gay if they don't support marriage equality.
BS Detector

Sherman Oaks, CA

#236 Oct 13, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, one can actively oppose, be uninvolved and still oppose, be indifferent, be uninvolved but support, or actively support. If this were a 5-point scale, I suppose BSD might come out between 2 1/2 and 3. In any event, there is a big difference between opposing and actively opposing. And no, we don't require one to support--actively or not--the correction of every wrong in the world to avoid the bigot label.
To me, one crosses the line into rank bigotry when they exhibit the following behaviors in varying degrees:
1) Using stereotypes to disparage a group.(For instance: stereotypes about promiscuity, femininity of gay men, masculinity of lesbians, misogyny of gay men, hatred of men among lesbians, etc.)
2) Fabricating and actively passing along misinformation about a group.(For instance: statistics purporting short life-spans of gays, purported homosexuality of Nazi leadership, intent to destroy American values.)
3) Willful refusal to acknowledge clear evidence disproving misconceptions.
4) References to the group as not only identifiable within society but, in fact, separate and unworthy of society.
IMO, BSD does not exhibit these behaviors. I would argue that distinguishing between straight couples and gay couples through separate institutions is strongly correlated with #4. But overall, I don't think BSD crosses that line.
Thank you. Your reasonableness compels me to adjust how I communicate with you.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#237 Oct 13, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> Thank you. Your reasonableness compels me to adjust how I communicate with you.
Tolerating anti-gay bigotry isn't reasonable; it's simply enabling the enemy.

Today you oppose marriage for same-sex couples, tomorrow you'll be trying to prevent us from adopting, then it's repealing workplace protections, then making homosexuality illegal again, etc, etc.

You anti-gays can't be trusted for a second.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why the Confederate flag flies in SC 3 min johnplustwomore 2,174
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min What about 186,359
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Death of Tenzing 1,251,500
News Official sued in landmark marriage case reads a... 5 min WasteWater 14
News Charleston church shooting coverage criticized ... 7 min Effects of Racism 422
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Dr Guru 192,240
News Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions (Oct '14) 8 min WasteWater 6,288
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 15 min dirtclod 168,873
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 25 min NTR1 332,937
More from around the web