Ban may save officers' lives

Ban may save officers' lives

There are 35 comments on the San Bernardino County Sun story from Apr 5, 2009, titled Ban may save officers' lives. In it, San Bernardino County Sun reports that:

Richard Poplawski, the man accused of slaying three Pittsburgh police officers on Saturday, owned several handguns and an AK-47 assault rifle.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Bernardino County Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#23 Apr 7, 2009
exconservative wrote:
As long as people are in jail for Marijuana I will vote the straight democratic ticket even though I hate all forms of gun control.
Ya think that will aid your cause do ya?

You have killed to many brain cells smoking weed.

Unfortunate, you seem like an ok person.
SHADDAP

Crestline, CA

#25 Apr 7, 2009
Guns cause crime?
If you believe that tripe, then you must also believe -

Cars cause drunk driving and accidents.
Matches and lighters cause arson.
Knives cause stabbing.
Baseball bats cause assaults.
Hands cause fistfights.

Let's ban all of the above!

Or maybe, just maybe, we should concentrate on arresting and prosecuting the PEOPLE hat really cause the problems.

Just a silly idea.
Checkpoint Charlie

Del Mar, CA

#26 Apr 7, 2009
CA Cop wrote:
Speaking as a cop, I oppose reinstating the ban on assault weapons. I am a firm beliver in the 2nd amendment. Let those, who put their lives on the line, make the desissions, not the anti-gun legislators.
I bet your sergeant has a field day with your reports.....beliver? dississions?

“How ya doin?”

Since: Nov 08

The end of the pier

#27 Apr 7, 2009
Checkpoint Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet your sergeant has a field day with your reports.....beliver? dississions?
Picky, picky, picky

“SEMPER FIDELIS ”

Since: Apr 09

Albion NY

#28 Apr 7, 2009
Banning firearms is an ineffective way to reduce
crime.
The DEATH PENALTY is the ONLY Deterrent.
It is a known fact that the majority of weapons
used in crime are stolen.
GunShowBeingCens ored

Phoenix, AZ

#29 Apr 7, 2009
THE BILLS wrote:
Banning firearms is an ineffective way to reduce
crime.
The DEATH PENALTY is the ONLY Deterrent.
It is a known fact that the majority of weapons
used in crime are stolen.
Why put the courts through all the hassle?

"No law ever written has stopped any robber, rapist or killer, like cold blue steel in the hands of their LAST intended victim."

- W. Emerson Wright

Seems to me that a few cents worth of lead. Is a lot less expensive than a prolonged trial with lots of appeals....
Russell Shackleford

United States

#30 Apr 7, 2009
Funny, how the Second Amendment foes only seem to care about cops, when they ramble about gun control. They contradict their own position when they assert that a ban on assault weapons would not have prevented the Oakland incident, but then admit that "over time" it would have an effect.
Using that logic, if we ban the automobile then that will have an effect on reducing auto accidents.. over time.
None of the police officers I have worked with over past twenty five years, believes in an assault wepons bans, or most every type of gun control currently deemed fashionable by the left. Thats what you get when you quote out of touch, detached, "officials" to give your opinion piece some weight. Most of us will take individual freedom anytime over liberal op-ed writers' faux concern over the safety of cops argument.
Never ask front line cops what they think, you might get an answer that makes you feel uneasy and won't help color your argument.

Since: Mar 08

Ford City

#31 Apr 7, 2009
I doubt a ban would save a single life,in the long run it may even cost lives! This story is truly a tragedy, this kid killed these officers and will certainly be put to death himself.....Nobody wins! Just a pointless and senseless tragedy. I have trouble believing the media when they report on the offenders character or what he truly stood for,but i dont believe banning guns would have stopped this from happenning. Its just a very sad event from my point of view.
Charlie P

Detroit, MI

#32 Apr 8, 2009
Biggyarddogg wrote:
I doubt a ban would save a single life,in the long run it may even cost lives! This story is truly a tragedy, this kid killed these officers and will certainly be put to death himself.....Nobody wins! Just a pointless and senseless tragedy. I have trouble believing the media when they report on the offenders character or what he truly stood for,but i dont believe banning guns would have stopped this from happenning. Its just a very sad event from my point of view.
Society wins once this trash is executed. Too bad he took out three cops.
Boomer215

Anderson, IN

#33 Apr 8, 2009
Any word on the 911 operator who reportedly didn't tell the cops there were guns in the house?
Sicilianu

Richmond, VA

#34 Apr 8, 2009
Boomer215 wrote:
Any word on the 911 operator who reportedly didn't tell the cops there were guns in the house?
Saw title of this thread and thought the very same thing. Behold you asked the question! Chances this info will get buried are?
IE Cop

Van Nuys, CA

#35 Apr 8, 2009
What the story fails to mention is that us cops arrest the felons for numerous violations of the laws we already have on the books, but due to liberal lawyers, judges and special interest groups, the felons get out and commit more unlawful acts such as this guy. Lets enforce the laws the way they are written now instead of making new laws that the lawyers will just plea down to time served anyways
GunShowBeingCens ored

Phoenix, AZ

#36 Apr 8, 2009
IE Cop wrote:
What the story fails to mention is that us cops arrest the felons for numerous violations of the laws we already have on the books, but due to liberal lawyers, judges and special interest groups, the felons get out and commit more unlawful acts such as this guy. Lets enforce the laws the way they are written now instead of making new laws that the lawyers will just plea down to time served anyways
Amen.
Just Candid

Nashville, TN

#37 Apr 9, 2009
IE Cop wrote:
Sounds good but ,what about these?

http://www.innocenceproject.org/

http://falserapesociety.blogspot.com/

Don't get me wrong. I am all for punishing real criminals but, we need to make sure we are punishing real criminals. We do not need more laws. We need the laws we currently have examined to make sure they are in accordance with the U.S. Constitution and enforced equally and fairly. I don't mean to sound like a liberal but I believe in all things being truely equal. What you do to one, you do to all others.
Jeff

United States

#38 Apr 13, 2009
Lets see now I'm supposed to believe that the Mexican drug cartels who have unlimited funds from drug sales, fleets of air craft, fleets of boats in cluding subs, can move tons of dope across most of south America at will has to depend on buying a few weapons from the locals in the U.S. They can buy what ever they want in any number of central american countrys that don't particular like the U.S. with little or no problems I have not seen RPG's nor hand grandes down at the local Big 5 or Turners either. Lets get real about where this stuff is coming from.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rahm Emanuel on Democratic problems: - You're n... 2 min UidiotRACEMAKEWOR... 6
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min Jay 270,786
News Senate Intelligence Committee requests Trump ca... 14 min Christsharia sLaw 10
News How President Trump consumes - or does not cons... 21 min Christsharia sLaw 1
News Snubs and slights are part of the job in Trump'... 26 min Christsharia sLaw 2
News As White House defends Jared Kushner, experts q... 30 min Christsharia sLaw 8
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 37 min Into The Night 63,626
News Every GI Who Invaded Vietnam, Iraq, etc. Was a ... 2 hr davy 33
News Flynn invokes 5th Amendment, refuses to comply ... 2 hr WelbyMD 96
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Chicagoan by Birth 240,970
News James Comey fired as FBI director 4 hr Erl 3,057
More from around the web