Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 310231 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

zef

Los Angeles, CA

#253959 Aug 22, 2012
I argue that ‘being human’ is a sufficient condition for the application of the label ‘person’ to a living creature – note that a dead human being is no longer alive, therefore they are no longer a person, yet they were once a person. The reason I argue for the case of all humans being persons is that I see many issues with denying personhood to a human being. The reason I argue for all humans being persons is mainly not because of the implications of doing so, but the implications of not doing so. For example…

Abortion is justified by many in that until the foetus has reached a certain stage of development, it is not considered a person, and therefore the termination of an unborn child (before a certain stage of development) is not tantamount to murder. Therefore, if we begin to deny personhood to other human beings we can just as equally justify their killing, or even merely their mistreatment. Imagine living in a society which judged that you had lost your status as a person and therefore could be lawfully killed (not murdered) by a doctor without your consent.

http://www.alevelphilosophy.com/personhood/79...
Ink

Morrisville, PA

#253960 Aug 22, 2012
Sister Kathryn Lust wrote:
<quoted text>Except for Paul Ryan, whose 'plan' would outlaw abortion without exception, and every Congressman who signs the 'Pledge to Life' which purports to exemplify their willingness to grant 'personhood'(but not citizenship status) to every zygote conceived on US soil, at the expense of women's citizenship while pregnant.
<quoted text>Do you listen without question to everything you're told?
Just because one is paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to getcha.....
:)
What's 'the plan' and 'the pledge to life'? Perhaps you read it wrong.
zef

Los Angeles, CA

#253961 Aug 22, 2012
Upon completion of this lesson students will understand that the embryo or fetus is a human person. They may be able to discuss past instances in which people were denied personhood. They may be able to discuss how a choice of vocabulary determines our view of personhood.
Choose any of the following:
1.The denial of the fact that the fetus is a person is a time-honored tactic. Throughout history, we see examples of people being denied their personhood. Have students choose one example and compare it to the current abortion debate. Examples can include: black slaver, women's rights, Jews in Nazi Germany, mentally challenged.
2. The language used by abortionists reflects their desire to deny personhood to the pre-born child. Terms such as "products of conception" mask the human reality of the child in the womb. Discuss with the class the difference between a fetus and a baby, an embryo and a child, etc. Then have students understand that all language will either affirm or deny the personhood and humanity of those around us. Have them track the language they hear throughout the day, counting how many dehumanizing terms they encounter in the hallways, on radio (especially rap songs), in magazines, etc.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#253962 Aug 22, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't care less. You, however, lie all the time. Your posts on the subject of reality TV indicate you watch them. It's that simple.
You watch tv, not only that, you look like a couch potato. I am sure you have eaten a thousand pounds of cheetos in front of the boob tube.
Ink

Morrisville, PA

#253963 Aug 22, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
"you"? Sorry, but we live in the same country. That would be "we". And yes, we would. I never said ANYTHING about people wanting to force a pregnant woman to die. Stop re-wording my position.
This didn't happen because the Dominican Republic is a developing country. It didn't happen due to a lack of medical knowledge. It happened because of the law making abortion entirely illegal. If abortion was entirely illegal here, the same situation would start happening here as well.
I'm sorry you're not bright enough to understand simple logic.
Do you really think we are going to adopt all the practices of third world countries? No one for the umpteenth time is wanting to kill pregnant women.

Since: Jun 08

Atrisco Village

#253964 Aug 22, 2012
<quoted text>I believe abortion is okay. I also believe if a woman wants an abortion at 35 weeks and 6 days, she should be able to get one legally - if she's that determined not to be a mother, she'd make a terrible one. Further, I believe that there needs to be an unequivocal determination on the part of the people, EITHER that the state has an interest in the fetus which trumps the woman's, OR that abortion is a woman's choice, a legal medical procedure, and enjoys equal protection under the law. And then maybe we can move the hell ON with our lives, and quit worrying about somebody else's abortion.
Yes, I agree.

“OUCH”

Since: Mar 07

Russell Springs, KY

#253965 Aug 22, 2012
<quoted text>So?
we have 4,131,019 live births in this country per year, which means 120,907 births in this country per year. Alone.
<quoted text>How many bags of groceries, boxes of diapers, and canisters of formula did you send Natalya Suleman? Now there's a lady who practices what you preach.........I'd think those with a genuine PRO-LIFE stance would STILL be lined up around the block, to volunteer their undying solidarity with someone who not only has the courage of her own convictions, but courage enough to exemplify yours as well.
<quoted text>You may 'know' but you don't seem to 'care'.
<quoted text>One of the many hypocrisies inherent in the pro-life stance of the Republican party. Preventive medicine is a cornerstone of Conservatism. The GOP is against it. Go figure.
So how far off was she in stating we have 4,000 abortions a day?
The name went over my head,if you would have said Octomom,I wouldn't have had to look the name up,uh,thanks.
While I agree Octomom,is missing a few aces in the deck. Octomom chose to have her children,doesn't matter if she had one or twenty,you don't back her choice? Instead of getting into a display of stupidity over this,who should do what and all. I would think the doctor should foot the bill for these kids,he's as dingy as she is.

“I'm here with bells on.”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#253966 Aug 22, 2012
zef wrote:
<quoted text>
Your nihilist hatemongering and bigotry sickens me.
person noun
2. a human being as distinguished from an animal or a thing
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/person
Definition of PERSON
1: human, individual
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/per...
Your sickness is a facet of your unwillingness to see anyone's view but your own.

-person (n)
1. A human being, as distinguished from a potential human being.
2. An individual human being,(as distinguished from a human being inside the womb) with the demonstrable characteristics of sentience, personality, and intellect.

http://www.sisterkathrynlust.com
zef

Los Angeles, CA

#253967 Aug 22, 2012
Nazi persecution, arrests, and deportations were directed against all members of Jewish families, as well as many Gypsy families, without concern for age. Homeless, often orphaned, many children had frequently witnessed the murder of parents, siblings, and relatives. They faced starvation, illness, brutal labor, and other indignities until they were consigned to the gas chambers.
So called camp doctors, especially the notorious Josef Mengele, would torture Jewish children, Gypsy children and many others. "Patients" were put into pressure chambers, tested with drugs, castrated, frozen to death, and exposed to various other traumas.
Dr. Josef Mengele was born on March 16, 1911, the eldest of three sons of Karl and Walburga Mengele. Josef was refined, intelligent and popular in his town. He studied philosophy at Munich and medicine at Frankfurt University. In 1935 his dissertation dealt with racial differences in the structure of the lower jaw.
Mengele was always immaculately prepared for the long-drawn-out rituals of death, the hellish selections which the young SS doctor so regularly attended during his twenty-one months at Auschwitz.
Josef Mengele was the chief provider for the gas chambers and their crematoria."He had a look that said 'I am the power,'" said one survivor. When it was reported that one block was infected with lice, Mengele solved the problem by gassing all the 750 women assigned to it. At the time, Mengele was only 32 years old.
The Angel of Death fed his legend by dramatizing murderous policies, such as his drawing a line on the wall of the children's block between 150 and 156 centimeters (about 5 feet or 5 feet 2 inches) from the floor.Then sending those whose heads could not reach the line to the gas chamber ...

Location hidden

#253968 Aug 22, 2012
zef wrote:
I argue that ‘being human’ is a sufficient condition for the application of the label ‘person’ to a living creature – note that a dead human being is no longer alive, therefore they are no longer a person, yet they were once a person. The reason I argue for the case of all humans being persons is that I see many issues with denying personhood to a human being. The reason I argue for all humans being persons is mainly not because of the implications of doing so, but the implications of not doing so. For example…
Abortion is justified by many in that until the foetus has reached a certain stage of development, it is not considered a person, and therefore the termination of an unborn child (before a certain stage of development) is not tantamount to murder. Therefore, if we begin to deny personhood to other human beings we can just as equally justify their killing, or even merely their mistreatment. Imagine living in a society which judged that you had lost your status as a person and therefore could be lawfully killed (not murdered) by a doctor without your consent.
http://www.alevelphilosophy.com/personhood/79...
'Begin to deny personhood to other human beings'?

Humans have done this from our earliest origins. Again, if we lived in the utopia you apparently envision, there would need be no discussion of abortion or it's 'rightness' or 'wrongness', since every child would be wanted, loved and cared for, and supported by its tribe from birth to death.

And again, we don't.

JMO

Atrisco Village

#253969 Aug 22, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit. She made a clear point that if certain people got their way in this country, we can look forward to situations like this. Do try to keep up, Witless.
What does being a "third-world" developing country have anything to do with this?
She thinks that reiterating the "third world" inference distances American PLs from the prolife position of PLs of other nationalities. It doesn't. We can see the direction in which these people are trying to force women: 40 years in the past.

Atrisco Village

#253970 Aug 22, 2012
Tom Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
Or they could follow your lead and roll over, take it in the backside and no abortion necessary.
Another lovely Christian comment. Nice.

Location hidden

#253971 Aug 22, 2012
OLD LADY wrote:
<quoted text>
So how far off was she in stating we have 4,000 abortions a day?
The name went over my head,if you would have said Octomom,I wouldn't have had to look the name up,uh,thanks.
While I agree Octomom,is missing a few aces in the deck. Octomom chose to have her children,doesn't matter if she had one or twenty,you don't back her choice? Instead of getting into a display of stupidity over this,who should do what and all. I would think the doctor should foot the bill for these kids,he's as dingy as she is.
Of course I back her choice. I back ALL the choices:
a) celibacy,
b) abstinence,
c) gestation, followed by raising one's offspring,
d) gestation, followed by relinquishing one's offspring,
and
e) abortion.

I did send a donation to her online fund, back when she gave birth. Since I APPLAUD life, and know that the government should not be responsible for our choices, I decided to contribute personally to the well being of those 14 children. I certainly wouldn't require anyone else to do so, other than Ms Suleman, and the putative father.

So sue me.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#253972 Aug 22, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but no. A $75,000 is only great for a depressed area.
ROFLMAO $75K for a "great" house? Shit, in Baltimore, 75 would barely buy a slum tenement.

Location hidden

#253974 Aug 22, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious? You think women in this country are in danger of not be treated with chemo for cancer because they are pregnant?
Who is advocating for that?
C'mom.
Your friend Knutbar for one.

Location hidden

#253975 Aug 22, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Cancer is either agressive and going to kill you or not. What kind or cancer isn't a killer but 'needs' chemo?
Wow. Yet another topic Inkstain is ignorant about. Shocker.

Any non-terminal cancer is not necessisarily a "killer" (prostate is a good example) yet many will have chemo to knock it back. My dad did that a few years back.

Chemo treatments are used for MANY things, not just cancers. My MIL has chemo treatments for a particularly terrible form of arthritis. Chemo is often used for inflammatory and autoimmune diseases for another example.
zef

Los Angeles, CA

#253976 Aug 22, 2012
<quoted text>Of course I back her choice. I back ALL the choices:
a) celibacy,
b) abstinence,
c) gestation, followed by raising one's offspring,
d) gestation, followed by relinquishing one's offspring,
and
e) abortion.
I did send a donation to her online fund, back when she gave birth. Since I APPLAUD life, and know that the government should not be responsible for our choices, I decided to contribute personally to the well being of those 14 children. I certainly wouldn't require anyone else to do so, other than Ms Suleman, and the putative father.
So sue me.
How can I be stalked, harrassed, and threatened incessently for choosing to wear eye protection, if those nihilistic tyrants are allowed to choose to kill innocent children with abortions?

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#253977 Aug 22, 2012
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>ROFLMAO $75K for a "great" house? Shit, in Baltimore, 75 would barely buy a slum tenement.
She made it up http://journalstar.com/news/local/crime-and-c...

Location hidden

#253978 Aug 22, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
No. No one would perceive that as an abortion.
Clearly, you're WRONG as usual, since that was the reason given in that country for NOT treating her cancer you dunce.
BTW abortion will always be available as long as you can find doctors to do it.
Correction: Abortion will always be available as long as ANYONE wants one, with or without doctors and safe medical treatments.

What MOST poeple want to prevent is going back to the age of deaths like this:

http://www.lifeandlibertyforwomen.org/about_g...

Abortion has been around as long as pregnancy has, and its NOT going away. THe only thing that some are TRYING to make go away is making it safer than it used to be.

Fortunately, with assholes like Skanky spouting stupidity against education by saying nonsense like "who needs education? They already KNOW how to use BC.." and even BIGGER idiots with power like we're seeing being played out today by Aikin - who thinks "legitimate rape" doesn't result in pregnancy ONLY proves how wrong fools like Skanky are.

Igorance, most often willful - blindness - like yours Inkstain, most often selective, superstition most often caused by religous dogma, shows just how much the average person DOESNT know, and they pass their ignorance on from generation to generation.

As long as ignorance abounds, then women's right to choose WILL be necessary.

Location hidden

#253979 Aug 22, 2012
zef wrote:
Upon completion of this lesson students will understand that the embryo or fetus is a human person. They may be able to discuss past instances in which people were denied personhood. They may be able to discuss how a choice of vocabulary determines our view of personhood.
Choose any of the following:
1.The denial of the fact that the fetus is a person is a time-honored tactic. Throughout history, we see examples of people being denied their personhood. Have students choose one example and compare it to the current abortion debate. Examples can include: black slaver, women's rights, Jews in Nazi Germany, mentally challenged.
2. The language used by abortionists reflects their desire to deny personhood to the pre-born child. Terms such as "products of conception" mask the human reality of the child in the womb. Discuss with the class the difference between a fetus and a baby, an embryo and a child, etc. Then have students understand that all language will either affirm or deny the personhood and humanity of those around us. Have them track the language they hear throughout the day, counting how many dehumanizing terms they encounter in the hallways, on radio (especially rap songs), in magazines, etc.
Until they are 'around us' we have no basis for comparison. The woman is certainly 'around us', and therefore is unquestionably a person. The fetus is not, until its birth. Until it is born, it is a subset, given its dependent position in life.

As for those who are dependent upon other means of 'life sustainence', others have disposition of their 'lives' as a result of their affect on the lives of those others. Abortion is no different from pulling the plug, which is not only legal, but is accepted practice.

Do you support keeping patients on artificial life support indefinitely?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min USAsince1680 1,276,385
News White House says Mount McKinley to be renamed D... 3 min Lawrence Wolf 12
News 'Anchor baby' fight scrambles Republican field 8 min Synque 233
News Tea Party climate change deniers funded by BP a... (Oct '10) 10 min Earthling-1 21
Iran Nuclear Agreement: Black Mark or Gold Star... 15 min Black Mark 929
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 16 min Earthling-1 54,519
News Trump, Carson in close fight in Iowa poll 16 min Andrew 29
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 17 min Agents of Corruption 340,940
News Donald Trump: Jorge Ramos 'like a madman' 1 hr Lawrence Wolf 195
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Denny CranesPlace 193,795
More from around the web