Panetta Orders Review of Ethics Train...

Panetta Orders Review of Ethics Training for Military Officers

There are 27 comments on the www.nytimes.com story from Nov 15, 2012, titled Panetta Orders Review of Ethics Training for Military Officers. In it, www.nytimes.com reports that:

In the midst of a scandal that has ensnared one of the most prominent generals of his generation as well as the current NATO commander in Afghanistan, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta has ordered the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to review ethics training programs for senior officers, Pentagon officials said on Thursday.

Mr. Panetta, who was in Bangkok to sign a new defense cooperation agreement with Thailand, directed the chairman, Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, to determine whether the training programs were adequate and to report back in time for him to send an interim report to President Obama by Dec. 1.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.nytimes.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#1 Nov 15, 2012
HA.

Mr_Bill challanged the ethics quaity of the offcer corp wy back when Ollie Northwa lying his assoff under oath to protect Reagan.
Lance Winslow

San Jose, CA

#2 Nov 15, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
HA.
Mr_Bill challanged the ethics quaity of the offcer corp wy back when Ollie Northwa lying his assoff under oath to protect Reagan.
Ethics has never been a strong point of our military.
Cracker

Festus, MO

#3 Nov 15, 2012
ensnared one of the most prominent generals of his generation ????? If you say so , Ms_Bill .
HaHaHa

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#4 Nov 15, 2012
Cracker wrote:
ensnared one of the most prominent generals of his generation ????? If you say so , Ms_Bill .
HaHaHa
Ethics ought not include dalliences; and does not in my book. And, philandering is a moral, and not ethical question.

What a general officer, or a private soldier does with their privates is nobodies business.

This whole phony scandal stinks of Rupert Murdch's slime.
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#5 Nov 15, 2012
Could someone order some ethics training for Øbama, Secretary Clinton and Ambassador Rice while they're at it.
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#6 Nov 15, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Ethics ought not include dalliences; and does not in my book. And, philandering is a moral, and not ethical question.
What a general officer, or a private soldier does with their privates is nobodies business.
You might try reading Article 134 of the UCMJ.
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#7 Nov 15, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
... and the Rupert Murdoch red herring is particularly telling.

“Here we go!”

Since: Feb 07

Tampa, FL

#8 Nov 15, 2012
You don't see the problem? Put the UCMJ aside- If an Officer of any rank is caught in an affair and is not punished, it begs the question, who is he going to have the affair with next. If he starts an affair with a subordinate's wife (or in GEN Patreaus' case with a married subordinate) you lose good order and discipline within the ranks- not something you want to happen in the military.

As to the UCMJ mentioned above, GEN Patreaus doesn't fall under the UCMJ any longer. If it is found out that he began the affair in Aghanistan (and I'm gonna bet that it did), technically he could be called back to Active Duty and punished- doubt it will happen though. The only one going to be punished under the UCMJ is Paula Broadwell- a LTC in the US Army Reserve.
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>

“Here we go!”

Tampa, FL

#9 Nov 15, 2012
As to Panetta's quesiton, I have a theory- Neither Allen nor Patreaus have ever been trigger pullers.

Both are to young to have served in Vietnam and were to old during the Gulf War to have led ground troops. The yhave been planners, not executers. They have each been groomed since leaving their respective Service Academies for four stars.

They've both been coddled and given plum assignments their whole careers. As have all of the Four Star Officers in our military. It's a pretty small fraternity.

Your formative years as an officer and the best time of your career (in my opinion) is as a platoon leader (or our sister service equivalents) where you are on joe's level.

It gives you perspective in a fire fight, when its you laying next to you're E4 feeding 7.62 belt ammunition into his 240B because his A gunner is wounded.

Once you hit O3 (in the Army anyway) your job is largely administrative for the rest of your career.
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#10 Nov 15, 2012
Eron wrote:
As to Panetta's quesiton, I have a theory- Neither Allen nor Patreaus have ever been trigger pullers.
Both are to young to have served in Vietnam and were to old during the Gulf War to have led ground troops. The yhave been planners, not executers. They have each been groomed since leaving their respective Service Academies for four stars.
They've both been coddled and given plum assignments their whole careers. As have all of the Four Star Officers in our military. It's a pretty small fraternity.
Your formative years as an officer and the best time of your career (in my opinion) is as a platoon leader (or our sister service equivalents) where you are on joe's level.
It gives you perspective in a fire fight, when its you laying next to you're E4 feeding 7.62 belt ammunition into his 240B because his A gunner is wounded.
Once you hit O3 (in the Army anyway) your job is largely administrative for the rest of your career.
Your words are wasted on ol' Bill when you start talking all military-like, with phrases like good order, morale and discipline. And LT1, LT2, O3, firefight, 7.62 rounds and A-gunner? Forget about it.

None of that stuff is touchy-feely enough. The closest guys like him will ever get to it is a first-person shoot'em up video game.

“Here we go!”

Tampa, FL

#11 Nov 15, 2012
good point...
Far Away wrote:
<quoted text>
Your words are wasted on ol' Bill when you start talking all military-like, with phrases like good order, morale and discipline. And LT1, LT2, O3, firefight, 7.62 rounds and A-gunner? Forget about it.
None of that stuff is touchy-feely enough. The closest guys like him will ever get to it is a first-person shoot'em up video game.

“Hello Trump”

Since: Jan 07

Goodby Hillary

#12 Nov 15, 2012
Far Away wrote:
<quoted text>
Billy wouldn't even make a good FEMF.....

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Nov 15, 2012
Keep your [email protected] in your pants. Any questions? Dismissed!

“Here we go!”

Tampa, FL

#14 Nov 15, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Keep your [email protected] in your pants. Any questions? Dismissed!
Words to live by my friend.
Ninthman

“Obama Shames the USA”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#15 Nov 15, 2012
I forgot about Panetta. If Patreaus throws Obama under the bus, Panetta is going down with him. Along with Hillary, Rice, Carney and Biden. All he has to say is that Obama told him to lie about the silly movie trailer. That's all he has to say.
Halito

Winnemucca, NV

#16 Nov 15, 2012
Will they manufacture a buttweiser beer?
flying duck

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#17 Nov 15, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
HA.
HAha! Dr. Bill_mr! U"ll like this song!!!;)
flying duck

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#18 Nov 15, 2012
Far Away wrote:
Could someone order some ethics training for Øbama, Secretary Clinton and Ambassador Rice while they're at it.
Cheese Krice! ;-000h, Dec. 24;)
flying duck

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#19 Nov 15, 2012
Eron wrote:
Dr. Bill_mr! is da sr. advice for Obamaxwell working CHARLIE!! ;-000
flying duck

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#20 Nov 15, 2012
Ninthman wrote:
I forgot about Panetta. If Patreaus throws Obama under the bus, Panetta is going down with him. Along with Hillary, Rice, Carney and Biden. All he has to say is that Obama told him to lie about the silly movie trailer. That's all he has to say.
do't lik Cheese Krice recarnational!!! ;-000

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min BlueFlag 1,657,085
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 min Riverside Rednek 46,305
News Detained immigrant says Texas guard sexually as... 10 min Stephen D Clark 7
News 6 things to watch in the Alabama Senate electio... 11 min Death on 2 Legs 3
News Judge bars ex-Speaker Dennis Hastert from being... 13 min SirLiesAlot 2
News Trump Must Keep His Promise: Repeal DACA 13 min observe 309
News Trump's popularity is slipping in rural America... 14 min Red Crosse 1,721
News Many Christian conservatives are backing Alabam... 21 min Rupert B Jigglebo... 1,316
News White House will override Obama's climate plan 30 min Big Al 1,570
News Trump accusers call for congressional investiga... 33 min youll shoot your ... 75
More from around the web