Hobby Lobby: Go Ahead and Fine Us, We...

Hobby Lobby: Go Ahead and Fine Us, We Won't Comply With 'Morning-After' Mandate

There are 1219 comments on the TheBlaze.com story from Dec 28, 2012, titled Hobby Lobby: Go Ahead and Fine Us, We Won't Comply With 'Morning-After' Mandate. In it, TheBlaze.com reports that:

An attorney for Hobby Lobby Stores said Thursday that the arts and crafts chain plans to defy a federal mandate requiring it to offer employees health coverage that includes access to the morning-after pill, despite risking potential fines of up to $1.3 million per day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TheBlaze.com.

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#981 Jan 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith based charities provide services to the needy. Since they do it, the government doesn't have to do it.
If faith based charities don't operate in your town, the government has to step in and they do it with your tax money.
Did you skip civics in high school?
The government providing something saves the taxpayer money?
LOL.
You are contradicting yourself Dan. I pay taxes, taxes go to "faith" based initiatives which i distrust with the heat of a thousand suns. Why should my taxes go to support faith based initiatives in which I prefer the government providing not a bunch of fetus worshippers? Why should I be forced to give ONE dime to crooked religious organizations? What happen to separation of church and state on MY end Dan??

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#982 Jan 17, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
first you boycott chic-fil-a and now hobby lobby....you are singlehandedly going to cause the demise of these two respectable businesses. I hope that makes you happy.
Good. I hope they go down in flames.

“2014 TDF”

Since: Mar 09

Boca Raton, FL.

#983 Jan 17, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>I already looked.....:o) it ain't there.....LOL
Thank you Morgana ;-)

“2014 TDF”

Boca Raton, FL.

#984 Jan 17, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>No you are lying Dan, they are working towards banning contraception and you KNOW it, they live for the day. And the reason is, they do not believe women should be allowed to control their own body. Period.

They have no problem discriminating against women. they do it everyday by requiring a penis in order to govern their institution.
This guy claims to know insurance, and he doesn't even know the meaning of a copay, or the difference between coinsurance, copay, deductible and premiums.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#985 Jan 17, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
I read it was with a co-pay. I will try to find the resource.
If it were mandated to be covered "with" a co-pay would that resolve it for you?
The copay thing makes no difference (to me). The premium for the coverage is the issue.

I AM curious as to why only BC and not heart disease (number 1 killer of women) medicine has no copay. I mean, if you gotta pick what to help women pay for, I'd pick the medicine that treats the killer.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#986 Jan 17, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
No you are lying Dan, they are working towards banning contraception and you KNOW it, they live for the day. And the reason is, they do not believe women should be allowed to control their own body. Period.
They have no problem discriminating against women. they do it everyday by requiring a penis in order to govern their institution.
This issue isn't about the RCC doing anything. They didn't force the HHS mandate upon themselves, did they?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#987 Jan 17, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are contradicting yourself Dan. I pay taxes, taxes go to "faith" based initiatives which i distrust with the heat of a thousand suns. Why should my taxes go to support faith based initiatives in which I prefer the government providing not a bunch of fetus worshippers? Why should I be forced to give ONE dime to crooked religious organizations? What happen to separation of church and state on MY end Dan??
Churches aren't the only recipients of tax money.

The state can't endorse a religion or make one the "state religion".

They aren't.

We can't individually pick where tax money goes.

Taxes aren't at issue here, are they?

Minneapolis

#988 Jan 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The copay thing makes no difference (to me). The premium for the coverage is the issue.
I AM curious as to why only BC and not heart disease (number 1 killer of women) medicine has no copay. I mean, if you gotta pick what to help women pay for, I'd pick the medicine that treats the killer.
BC falls under "preventative". Believe it or not Dan...pregnancy is a "medical condition" that women wish to avoid periodically and sometimes always. BC saves the tax payers money and is a MAJOR life improvement for them. Trust me Dan...I took BC.....LOVED IT!!!

Minneapolis

#989 Jan 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
This issue isn't about the RCC doing anything. They didn't force the HHS mandate upon themselves, did they?
I noticed you did not address one point in my post.

They were not forced to start businesses or become involved in commerce they did that of their own "free will" they "chose" and now they follow the law. The churches have been exempt from the mandate Dan...all churches that are anti BC.

Minneapolis

#990 Jan 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Churches aren't the only recipients of tax money.
The state can't endorse a religion or make one the "state religion".
They aren't.
We can't individually pick where tax money goes.
Taxes aren't at issue here, are they?
What is at issue is forcing one to give money to something they don't believe in and is against "their" conscience. Now we have a problem Dan, it appears many are required to pay money for something they are against, why should the CC be treated "special" outside of the rest of commerce? Do you want all able to pick and choose where their tax money goes? Good luck!
Dan

Omaha, NE

#991 Jan 17, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good. I hope they go down in flames.
Whew.

A little much, don't you think?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#992 Jan 17, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is at issue is forcing one to give money to something they don't believe in and is against "their" conscience. Now we have a problem Dan, it appears many are required to pay money for something they are against, why should the CC be treated "special" outside of the rest of commerce? Do you want all able to pick and choose where their tax money goes? Good luck!
Why does the CC get protected?

The First Amendment.

Didn't need much "luck" there. That was simple.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#993 Jan 17, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed you did not address one point in my post.
They were not forced to start businesses or become involved in commerce they did that of their own "free will" they "chose" and now they follow the law. The churches have been exempt from the mandate Dan...all churches that are anti BC.
Catholic hospitals/schools etc. aren't businesses as Hobby Lobby is. They're NFP's and it's directly part of the Church's ministry-just as much as church services are.

That's teh whole crux of their objection. The Feds are trying to do what you're attempting here-defining the Church's own ministry for them. The Feds can't do this by law.

Thanks.
Annie

Chestnutridge, MO

#994 Jan 17, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
You right wingers are a hoot. Always thinking that those that oppose you are leeches. I know more right wing republican leeches than I have ever known liberal. Talk about entitlement mentality they have it in spades! It is ALWAYS al about "them" and not the big picture. Nothing but a bunch of tit babies.
That's really funny cause I find just the opposite to be true, and no it's not all about us, it's about what is good for the country as a whole but you could care less and that's very obvious by your gimme gimme attitude.As far as tit babies, it's the democrats that believe in handing bennies over to everyone and making them depend on the government to survive and feed off of them so whose creating the tit babies. As long as they keep feeding them bennies there will be tit babies. All they are doing is enabling people to feed off the system instead of encouraging them to look for work and get off the system. Cause I know for a fact that alot of them don't bother looking for work cause it's easier to let the government support them unless they can make big buck wages. There are jobs out there but they think those jobs are too meanial for them. See when I'm out of work I will take what I can find even minimum wage as long as it helps bring in some money. Something is better than nothing in my opinion.
Annie

Chestnutridge, MO

#995 Jan 17, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with anything, you obviously support war and killing for a paycheck. Busted!! You lived off the government!! another true to life right winger!!
No we didn't live "OFF" the government, my husband worked for the government so we got a paycheck like he would had he worked a civilian job there is a differnce. No I don't support war, nobody wants war, it's one of the worst things that could happen, I know cause I've lost family members to war. However like it or not sometimes war is necessary, there have been wars since the beginning of time and there always will be wether we want them or not. And your comment about supporting war and killing for a paycheck just shows you how low you will go, and what a moron you really are!
Annie

Chestnutridge, MO

#996 Jan 17, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if the issue is forcing one to give money to something they don't beleive in and is against "their" conscience, then believe me you aren't the only one in that position so welcome to the club and the real world!

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#997 Jan 17, 2013
Annie wrote:
<quoted text> No we didn't live "OFF" the government, my husband worked for the government so we got a paycheck like he would had he worked a civilian job there is a differnce
Yet the Navy provided health care, not only for your husband, but for you and your children if your family lived on base. It's no different.
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>No I don't support war, nobody wants war,
Tell it to all the Congressmen who vote for it, the defense contractors who profit from it, and the officers who are paid to direct it. Lots of people "want war" - you just don't like to admit your husband may have been one of them. He made his living at it, after all.
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>it's one of the worst things that could happen, I know cause I've lost family members to war.
I've lost family members to pregnancy. One of the worst things that ever happened. Where's your boo-hoo-hooing about them?
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>However like it or not sometimes war is necessary,
Like it or not, sometimes abortion is necessary.
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>there have been wars since the beginning of time and there always will be wether we want them or not.
There have been abortions since the beginning of time, and there always will be whether you like it or not.
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>And your comment about supporting war and killing for a paycheck just shows you how low you will go, and what a moron you really are!
Doesn't take a moron to figure out career military men are in it for the money, bennies, and 'glory' of it all. You're not fooling anyone but yourself.

Suck it up, buttercup.

“2014 TDF”

Boca Raton, FL.

#998 Jan 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>Catholic hospitals/schools etc. aren't businesses as Hobby Lobby is. They're NFP's and it's directly part of the Church's ministry-just as much as church services are.

That's teh whole crux of their objection. The Feds are trying to do what you're attempting here-defining the Church's own ministry for them. The Feds can't do this by law.

Thanks.
"The Feds can't do this by law."

Yes they can. It's called a legitimate government interest. I posted about it on page 45. Go look it up.

When you can offer a valid legal argument in opposition, get back to me.

It's not discrimination against the RCC or other religious groups who oppose it. They just don't like being told what to do, but they like telling people what to do.

"You can't have sex before marriage."

"You must use NFP because artificial birth control is a sin."

"Women can't have abortions because it's murder."

Wrong on all counts.

The 1st Amendment allows freedom of expression and sex before marriage is an extension of that freedom. Personally, I wouldn't have married my wife without sleeping with her first. And that's my constitutionally protected right, as it is of anyone, including priests. Only they can't sleep with altar boys, although they do.

Artificial birth control is only a sin if you're stupid. And, another thing it isn't; illegal. See Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U.S. 479 (1965).

Abortion isn't murder. Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973).

The RCC doesn't get to argue the law in its favor, without rebutting a legitimate government interest in the law, when the law rebuts all its legal contentions.

Plain and simple.

“2014 TDF”

Boca Raton, FL.

#999 Jan 17, 2013
Annie wrote:
<quoted text>No we didn't live "OFF" the government, my husband worked for the government so we got a paycheck like he would had he worked a civilian job there is a differnce. No I don't support war, nobody wants war, it's one of the worst things that could happen, I know cause I've lost family members to war. However like it or not sometimes war is necessary, there have been wars since the beginning of time and there always will be wether we want them or not. And your comment about supporting war and killing for a paycheck just shows you how low you will go, and what a moron you really are!
"However like it or not sometimes war is necessary[....]"

Just like artificial birth control and the insurance to cover its cost.

Judaism in and if itself, prohibits any form of birth control that blocks a man's seed from entering the woman's womb and preventing fertilization (such as condoms and diaphragms). Yet, if a Jewish woman is allergic to any and all kinds if birth control pills, her Rabbi will condone the use of condoms by her husband, or the use of diaphragms by her.

Catholics should learn that life is far more enjoyable when it's not lived in fear of a mythical place named "hell."
Annie

Vanzant, MO

#1000 Jan 17, 2013
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>Yet the Navy provided health care, not only for your husband, but for you and your children if your family lived on base. It's no different.
<quoted text>Tell it to all the Congressmen who vote for it, the defense contractors who profit from it, and the officers who are paid to direct it. Lots of people "want war" - you just don't like to admit your husband may have been one of them. He made his living at it, after all.
<quoted text>I've lost family members to pregnancy. One of the worst things that ever happened. Where's your boo-hoo-hooing about them?
<quoted text> Like it or not, sometimes abortion is necessary.
<quoted text>There have been abortions since the beginning of time, and there always will be whether you like it or not.
<quoted text>Doesn't take a moron to figure out career military men are in it for the money, bennies, and 'glory' of it all. You're not fooling anyone but yourself.
Suck it up, buttercup.
In the military for the money that's the funniest thing I heard yet, cause military pay is nothing compared to what the same job as a civilian pays that's why they offer some benefits like base housing which is cheaper than an apt. on the outside but you still pay. Truth is before I went back to work, we barely made it on my husbands pay and we are by no means spend thrifts, we watched our funds carefully we had to. My husband grew up without a father for a good part of his life so part of the reason he joined was the opportunity of an education in a field in wanted to work but he also always wanted to join the Navy cause his idol, one of his uncles was in the military. The glory of it all, no believe it or not some just believe in serving their country when they are needed. And you don't spend all of your time overseas fighting wars only when there is one going on, and even then, everyone gets alternate duty so half your time is spend on bases stateside. See what happens when Obama cuts our military force back even more than it is and someone decides to attack us again,and our country decides to fight back and we go to war again. Who do you think will be protecting your little ass if something like that happens, it will be men like my husband. At least this time he won't have to go cause he's out of the service now. So why don't you take your own advice and Suck It Up yourself "Buttercup"!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The View that Putin's Advisor Has on Obama's Uk... (Nov '14) 20 min Cassandra_ 2,305
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 21 min Blitzking 169,058
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 31 min Justise League 60,565
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 37 min Dr Guru 192,509
News Donald Trump's comments on immigration complica... 46 min Mark Winshel 43
News Trump: I'm a 'Whipping Post' For Telling Truth ... 52 min tod see the light 4
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? 58 min intolerance 156
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 59 min Quirky 333,346
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Mr Lib 1,252,410
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 hr Limbertwig 186,657
More from around the web