What should Obama do about Syria?

What should Obama do about Syria?

There are 109 comments on the www.newyorker.com story from May 6, 2013, titled What should Obama do about Syria?. In it, www.newyorker.com reports that:

Inside the White House debate over Syria.

Just after midnight on April 25th, a Syrian medical technician who calls himself Majid Daraya was sitting at home, in the city of Daraya, five miles from the outskirts of Damascus, when he heard an explosion. He ran outside, and, on the southern horizon, he saw a blue haze. “I’ve never seen a blue explosion before,” he remembers thinking. Seconds later came another blast, and another blue haze.

Majid, who used a pseudonym to protect his identity, told me that his city had become a violent and unpredictable place; for five months, it had been the scene of heavy combat between forces loyal to the regime of Bashar al-Assad and the rebels who have been fighting for more than two years to drive him from power.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.newyorker.com.

Allen

Tucker, GA

#21 May 6, 2013
World peace would be nice for a change.
Pendejo Alert

United States

#22 May 6, 2013
Carlos wrote:
<quoted text>
I support Israel wiping out Syria. What do you support?
I'd support you wiping caca off the men's room floor at Madison Square Garden but I'm afraid you're under qualified.
ocxz

Reunion

#23 May 6, 2013
Carlos wrote:
<quoted text>
I support Israel wiping out Syria. What do you support?
I support that you wipe your piehole with triple layered shitpaper.
A whole roll should do the trick.
Carlos

New York, NY

#24 May 7, 2013
ocxz wrote:
<quoted text>
I support that you wipe your piehole with triple layered shitpaper.
A whole roll should do the trick.
Screw off, troll. Israel is our ALLY, it's only right America stands by Israel if it needs our help. What, you support Iran?
ocxz

Reunion

#25 May 7, 2013
Carlos wrote:
<quoted text>
Screw off, troll. Israel is our ALLY, it's only right America stands by Israel if it needs our help. What, you support Iran?
It's your right to confort any israeli you come across but as i mentionned above you'll need that roll of toilet paper cause you are fast overflowing, victim of your generosity.

“Open your eyes”

Since: Sep 09

Central Florida

#26 May 7, 2013
Carlos wrote:
<quoted text>
Screw off, troll. Israel is our ALLY, it's only right America stands by Israel if it needs our help. What, you support Iran?
Then get on a plane, go over there and fight it.

If you are physically unable to fight for Israel, then send your kids, your spouse, your family, and your money.

If you are unwilling to do any of that. Sit down and shut the fuck up.

If anyone picks a fight, they fight the fight. SIrael has picked this fight, they fight the fight. You want the US to join in, then lead the charge junior. Get your gun and go fight it. But, leave us out of your psycho trip.

“Open your eyes”

Since: Sep 09

Central Florida

#27 May 7, 2013
Carlos wrote:
<quoted text>
I support Israel wiping out Syria. What do you support?
Then go fight for Israel. Instead of talking shit on here, go over there and fight.
Carlos

New York, NY

#28 May 7, 2013
Kahoki wrote:
<quoted text>
Then get on a plane, go over there and fight it.
If you are physically unable to fight for Israel, then send your kids, your spouse, your family, and your money.
If you are unwilling to do any of that. Sit down and shut the fuck up.
If anyone picks a fight, they fight the fight. SIrael has picked this fight, they fight the fight. You want the US to join in, then lead the charge junior. Get your gun and go fight it. But, leave us out of your psycho trip.
Most Americans support Israel, according to polls, except, one guesses, the Muslim community. What religion are you?
Allen

Tucker, GA

#29 May 7, 2013
Kahoki wrote:
<quoted text>
Then go fight for Israel. Instead of talking shit on here, go over there and fight.
The whole point of these forums is for people to be able to express their views. Although I don't agree with Carlos in the way he expresses himself or about his views to "wipe syria out" , I do agree that the U.S. should stand with Israel and help them if they need our help. People don't have to be so hostile towards one another on these forum if they disagree with each other.
Carlos

New York, NY

#31 May 7, 2013
Allen wrote:
<quoted text>The whole point of these forums is for people to be able to express their views. Although I don't agree with Carlos in the way he expresses himself or about his views to "wipe syria out" , I do agree that the U.S. should stand with Israel and help them if they need our help. People don't have to be so hostile towards one another on these forum if they disagree with each other.
No one's advocating for Israel to destroy Syria, and I didn't meant that seriously, I'm just tired of people blaming Israel or Jews for all our problems all day long.

Whatever its faults, Israel is America's only true democratic ally in the Middle East, and I personally think the United States should be grateful for their alliance. At least Israel is a better ally than Pakistan ever was...

“Open your eyes”

Since: Sep 09

Central Florida

#32 May 7, 2013
Carlos wrote:
<quoted text>
Most Americans support Israel, according to polls, except, one guesses, the Muslim community. What religion are you?
I am not a religion. Religion is for the weak and powerless who believe that they need some form of supernatural strength because they are too weak to stand up on their own 2 feet and face the world for what it is.
ocxz

Paris, France

#33 May 7, 2013
Carlos wrote:
<quoted text>
No one's advocating for Israel to destroy Syria, and I didn't meant that seriously, I'm just tired of people blaming Israel or Jews for all our problems all day long.
Whatever its faults, Israel is America's only true democratic ally in the Middle East, and I personally think the United States should be grateful for their alliance. At least Israel is a better ally than Pakistan ever was...
When you post

Carlos wrote:
<quoted text>
I support Israel wiping out Syria. What do you support?

chances are people think you mean it

“Open your eyes”

Since: Sep 09

Central Florida

#34 May 7, 2013
Allen/Carlos,

Why do you support Israel. What is the true honest answer?

Personally, I support nobody and no nation. I supported the US and their actions throughout my life and even serving in the military, but, I woke up to the reality that the country I thought I knew was not that country at all.

I do not understand blind support that people give to other nations. Where is critical thought? Where is a foundation of ones own principles?

Why do we have to support Israel? Because a book written by men 2k+ years ago makes some superstitious claim that Israel is God's chosen? Really? That's comical.

Nobody can give a good example why "WE" have to support Israel, or, any other country for that matter. "Oh, they're our ally." What did George Washington warn the people against? Do not align yourselves with the affairs of others for they will bring their affairs onto you. In other words, stay out of their personal shit or they will drag you into it.

Look, I am one that will say it, I do not care who the country is, who the person in charge is, what religion they bow too and drool over. I DON"T CARE. I will call a spade a spade, and if someone wants to pick a fight, then damnit, they better fight the fight.

If those that blindly support Israel, because False News conditioned them too, want to support Israel so badly. Then go fight with them. But, the rest of us should have a choice. And if we elect not to get involved, then so be it. But, my money, my family, my life, will not be given to a foreign country without the approval of myself.

I am curious though why you support Israel. the true reason why. Has to me more than this conditioned, "we're allies" crap.

Here is an analogy for you. Let's say you and your best friend are walking down the street. The your best friend goes up to a woman and starts beating her. You going to jump in because your an ally, or, turn your back and say that enough of this bullshit? This is the same thing. The US and Israel walking down the Street. Israel decides to beat up a lesser opponent. What does the US do? Join in or walk away and allow Israel to take the consequences for their actions?

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#35 May 7, 2013
mexicans, french, australians and muslims all arguing about syria on american forum, how hilarious, hahaha

war is with us every day, and will NEVER,EVER go away. you think this is about matter of choice, between right/wrong???? you fools argue like little children over some small toy

it is matter of perspective, ALL NATIONS have their own national interests, that includes syria and the us. war is war, ALL war is wrong, whatver for reaosn.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#36 May 7, 2013
Kahoki wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a religion. Religion is for the weak and powerless who believe that they need some form of supernatural strength because they are too weak to stand up on their own 2 feet and face the world for what it is.
marx always did say religion WAS opium for masses, perhaps he was indeed right. WITHOUT RELIGION, would any of this have happened???? NO, NEVER.
Peace for all

Calgary, Canada

#37 May 7, 2013
Obama should jump on peace for all boat.This harmless peace for all boat does'nt hurt any human being. Instead this peace for all is love and peace boat for all.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#38 May 7, 2013
Kahoki wrote:
Allen/Carlos,
Why do you support Israel. What is the true honest answer?
Personally, I support nobody and no nation. I supported the US and their actions throughout my life and even serving in the military, but, I woke up to the reality that the country I thought I knew was not that country at all.
I do not understand blind support that people give to other nations. Where is critical thought? Where is a foundation of ones own principles?
Why do we have to support Israel? Because a book written by men 2k+ years ago makes some superstitious claim that Israel is God's chosen? Really? That's comical.
Nobody can give a good example why "WE" have to support Israel, or, any other country for that matter. "Oh, they're our ally." What did George Washington warn the people against? Do not align yourselves with the affairs of others for they will bring their affairs onto you. In other words, stay out of their personal shit or they will drag you into it.
Look, I am one that will say it, I do not care who the country is, who the person in charge is, what religion they bow too and drool over. I DON"T CARE. I will call a spade a spade, and if someone wants to pick a fight, then damnit, they better fight the fight.
If those that blindly support Israel, because False News conditioned them too, want to support Israel so badly. Then go fight with them. But, the rest of us should have a choice. And if we elect not to get involved, then so be it. But, my money, my family, my life, will not be given to a foreign country without the approval of myself.
I am curious though why you support Israel. the true reason why. Has to me more than this conditioned, "we're allies" crap.
Here is an analogy for you. Let's say you and your best friend are walking down the street. The your best friend goes up to a woman and starts beating her. You going to jump in because your an ally, or, turn your back and say that enough of this bullshit? This is the same thing. The US and Israel walking down the Street. Israel decides to beat up a lesser opponent. What does the US do? Join in or walk away and allow Israel to take the consequences for their actions?
Don't ever, EVER answer a child if they ask you about Santa Clause. I'm warning you now.
mxlplx

United States

#39 May 7, 2013
ocxz wrote:
<quoted text>
When you post
Carlos wrote:
<quoted text>
I support Israel wiping out Syria. What do you support?
chances are people think you mean it
If he supports Israel wiping out Syria, then he has to support Israel occupying all of Syria, in order to keep the wahhabi, salafi and other extremist elements from filling the power vacuum.

In other words, he's a moron that can't think one step ahead of himself.

Do us a favor, Carlos. Learn to walk before you try running (into a wall).
The man

Houston, TX

#40 May 7, 2013
They will figure it out. America has domestic economic problems to deal with that vastly overrides. If Obama wants to help, he can wave poms poms at Isreal to go fight them.

“Open your eyes”

Since: Sep 09

Central Florida

#41 May 7, 2013
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't ever, EVER answer a child if they ask you about Santa Clause. I'm warning you now.
Considering I never plan on having children. Not a problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hacked emails show Democratic party hostility t... 1 min Ralph from Michigan 245
News Clinton blames Republican leaders for a 'paraly... 1 min NotSoDivineMsM 1,116
News Melania Trump Speech Used Same Passages as Mich... 2 min Captain Yesterday 138
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 2 min Frankie Rizzo 14,842
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min RoxLo 1,404,778
News Could NATO be the next alliance to unravel? 6 min Captain Yesterday 77
News New York AG refuses to comply with U.S. House s... 7 min Captain Yesterday 3
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 13 min katrina 88 391,375
News Despite her many roles, Hillary Clinton still h... 1 hr Chicagoan by Birth 287
News Trump bounces into the lead 1 hr WeTheSheeple 160
More from around the web