D.C. to vote on $11.50 minimum wage

D.C. to vote on $11.50 minimum wage

There are 922 comments on the WPTZ-TV Plattsburgh story from Dec 3, 2013, titled D.C. to vote on $11.50 minimum wage. In it, WPTZ-TV Plattsburgh reports that:

Once you're logged in, at the top of each article, video or slideshow you will see a list of your Facebook friends who recently visited Choose to share stories you'e read with your friends or turn sharing OFF to keep your reading experience anonymous .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WPTZ-TV Plattsburgh.

Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#715 Dec 28, 2013
Chicopee wrote:
<quoted text>It's fairly clear that I've been debating with a wall.

If you bothered to check out those names or investigate which committee was testified before (bi-partisan, BTW), then you would understand that party affiliation has nothing to do with this debate...something you can't seem to accept. Or the fact that this testimony was presented over two and a half years ago. Congress passed extensions at that time, despite the testimony, which just shoots more gaping holes into your R v D opinion.

I've been unemployed...most Americans have, at some point. And most of us know one or more people who took advantage of being paid to sit home. Even you know at least one person who's done this.

But you aren't going to hear anything you don't want to hear, which is why you won't even make an attempt to research the stats yourself.

I'm not harsh, I'm realistic, and not especially partisan. That's like wearing a set of blinders.
I'm a progressive Democrat and my ideology is different from your ideology. Can you accept that?
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#716 Dec 28, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a political analyst. Of course I understand the issues of the day. But I understand that there is more than enough wealth in this nation to care for all Americans. Some people escape from paying taxes, others don't pay enough. And then we have corporate loopholes and tax shelters.
And we have people who made the decision not to work and pay no taxes into society. Instead, they suck revenue out.

There is no social obligation for corporations or anybody for that matter to "care for all Americans." That's not what a government is for, that's what religions and private charities are for.
Chicopee

Danbury, CT

#717 Dec 29, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a political analyst. Of course I understand the issues of the day. But I understand that there is more than enough wealth in this nation to care for all Americans. Some people escape from paying taxes, others don't pay enough. And then we have corporate loopholes and tax shelters.
Then perhaps you should spend some effort on history instead of political analysis.

Or a little more research in the area of economics.

Ours is not a government that is entitled or empowered to confiscate the wealth of any individual or corporation. They already take more than their fair share in the name of taxes. A knowledge of history shows, time and time again, what happens to countries when governments attempt to level the playing field. Tyranny and despotism is what you end up with. The utopia that is always promised never materializes. You end up with the wealthy, powerful elites and the rest are the unwashed masses.

The wealth you think is available belongs to individuals or corporations, and it is the very same government that you seem to think will uplift the poor that empowers and aids many of these robber barons with the loopholes and tax shelters, all for their piece of the pie, of course. Don't you ever wonder how so many of our senators and congressmen leave office as multimillionaires and far, far richer than when they took office?

Wake up. The "government" is only looking to help themselves.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#718 Dec 29, 2013
Chicopee wrote:
<quoted text>
Then perhaps you should spend some effort on history instead of political analysis.
Or a little more research in the area of economics.
Ours is not a government that is entitled or empowered to confiscate the wealth of any individual or corporation. They already take more than their fair share in the name of taxes. A knowledge of history shows, time and time again, what happens to countries when governments attempt to level the playing field. Tyranny and despotism is what you end up with. The utopia that is always promised never materializes. You end up with the wealthy, powerful elites and the rest are the unwashed masses.
The wealth you think is available belongs to individuals or corporations, and it is the very same government that you seem to think will uplift the poor that empowers and aids many of these robber barons with the loopholes and tax shelters, all for their piece of the pie, of course. Don't you ever wonder how so many of our senators and congressmen leave office as multimillionaires and far, far richer than when they took office?
Wake up. The "government" is only looking to help themselves.
Exactly Right the Federal Government is only looking to help themselves and they have proved that with Social Security which the Liberals on the SCOTUS who held Majority Confirmed in 1960 in Flemming vs Nestor that there is no rights to Social Security which is why the Federal Government doesnt want to end the SCAM and it is told right on the Social Security Website too which people better wake up.

Supreme Court Case: Flemming vs. Nestor

http://www.ssa.gov/history/nestor.html

Social Security’s Sham Guarantee

How many times during the recent debate over Social Security reform have you heard someone refer to Social Security’s “guaranteed benefit”? The AARP says “Social Security is the guaranteed part of your retirement plan.” Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic leader in the House, touts the system’s “guaranteed retirement benefit.” The liberal activist group ProtectYourCheck.org , headed by former Clinton chief of staff Harold Ickes, is running ads calling Social Security “a guarantee you earned.”

But Social Security benefits are not guaranteed.

They are not guaranteed legally because workers have no contractual or property rights to any benefits whatsoever. In two landmark cases, Flemming v. Nestor and Helvering v. Davis, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Social Security taxes are not contributions or savings, but simply taxes, and that Social Security benefits are simply a government spending program, no different than, say, farm price supports. Congress and the president may change, reduce, or even eliminate benefits at any time.

As a result, retirees must depend on the good will of 535 politicians to determine how much they will receive in retirement. And what could be less guaranteed than a politician’s promise? In fact, Congress has voted to reduce Social Security benefits in the past. For example, in 1983, Congress raised the retirement age.

By Michael D. Tanner

May 29, 2005

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/s...
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#719 Jan 2, 2014
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a job to find a job. But don't cut unemployment compensation. Doing do only makes it more difficult to find a job.
A truly stupid statement to end the year with Joe.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#720 Jan 2, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> I'm not the one posting irrelevant statistics to the article I linked. I'm not the one telling people they aren't educated.
You can believe what you want. BTW Im not telling "people" that they are not intelligent ..... just you and Joe!
d pantz

United States

#721 Jan 2, 2014
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
You can believe what you want. BTW Im not telling "people" that they are not intelligent ..... just you and Joe!
for gods sakes, its the holidays. As much as you post here I'm not sure if you have a job.. http://m.dailykos.com/story/2014/01/01/126627...
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#722 Jan 2, 2014
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? A political analyst! You stated previously that you were a school teacher who had lost their job and were now working at a fast food restaurant, now you're a political analyst. So not only are you an idiot who cannot provide themselves but it appears that you are either delusional or a liar.

Keep you hand out Joe. As I stated previously it appears to be the only tangible skill you have.
d pantz

United States

#723 Jan 2, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>if you are a good bartender or chef you can also usually find work when you want to pretty much anywhere...
there are many jobs hell, you can get a fast food job anywhere also, but don't expect to live on that wage, as it takes no skill to do that job.
says the "truck driver". ROTFLMAO!
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#724 Jan 2, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> for gods sakes, its the holidays. As much as you post here I'm not sure if you have a job.. http://m.dailykos.com/story/2014/01/01/126627...
Yeah right. I would appear that you have been posting throughout the holidays, where as I enjoyed them and did not worry about topix. Strange, you question my employment, but I'm not the one in here begging for money from the taxpayers or employers. One has to question why you are and if you have a job though.
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#725 Jan 2, 2014
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah right. I would appear that you have been posting throughout the holidays, where as I enjoyed them and did not worry about topix. Strange, you question my employment, but I'm not the one in here begging for money from the taxpayers or employers. One has to question why you are and if you have a job though.
I also question if you have a job. You spend a lot of time on Topix. Always responding within minutes.
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#726 Jan 2, 2014
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>A truly stupid statement to end the year with Joe.
Are you really that narrow-minded and blind to what millions of Americans (and maybe you too) are going through?
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#727 Jan 2, 2014
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I also question if you have a job. You spend a lot of time on Topix. Always responding within minutes.
Any yet I'm not begging for money from anyone. Imagine that!
But then logic was never your strong suit.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#728 Jan 2, 2014
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you really that narrow-minded and blind to what millions of Americans (and maybe you too) are going through?
My life is just fine Joe. I have no need for the government or anyone else to carry my burden in life. My family is well provided for by my career and what I have done with my money during the course of my life.

The difference between those you speak of (and you) and myself is that I did not give up when times got hard and expect someone else to make it better for me. I improved my situation in life and consequently my life improved along with it.
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#729 Jan 2, 2014
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>My life is just fine Joe. I have no need for the government or anyone else to carry my burden in life. My family is well provided for by my career and what I have done with my money during the course of my life.

The difference between those you speak of (and you) and myself is that I did not give up when times got hard and expect someone else to make it better for me. I improved my situation in life and consequently my life improved along with it.
Like I said, you live in box. You think you have all the answers for everyone. It's quite arrogant.
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#730 Jan 2, 2014
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>Any yet I'm not begging for money from anyone. Imagine that!
But then logic was never your strong suit.
I'm not begging for money. Did I post my e-mail address and ask for money? No.

I just want fairness and justice in America.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#731 Jan 2, 2014
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, you live in box. You think you have all the answers for everyone. It's quite arrogant.
Like I said, you see yourself as a victim. You think that your failures are the fault of everyone but yourself. Very defeatist attitude.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#732 Jan 2, 2014
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not begging for money. Did I post my e-mail address and ask for money? No.
I just want fairness and justice in America.
You believe that because you are not begging directly for yourself that it changes the act? Begging is begging Joe. You are asking for something that you have not earned and are not worth (regardless of what you feel you are worth, it is quite obvious that the prospective employers do not see the same worth in you that you do).

What you want is a life funded on the backs of the productive in this country.
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#733 Jan 2, 2014
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>Like I said, you see yourself as a victim. You think that your failures are the fault of everyone but yourself. Very defeatist attitude.
Failure??? I don't see myself as a failure. Oh, I failed to make a 3-point shot at the gym this morning. Haha.
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#734 Jan 2, 2014
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>You believe that because you are not begging directly for yourself that it changes the act? Begging is begging Joe. You are asking for something that you have not earned and are not worth (regardless of what you feel you are worth, it is quite obvious that the prospective employers do not see the same worth in you that you do).

What you want is a life funded on the backs of the productive in this country.
Look, you're a radical individualist who believes in capitalism. I don't. I don't believe in being judging people and reducing them to price tags.

Words like "earned" and "productive" are very subjective and can be applied in very narrow ways as you often do. Your words speak of insecurity with the need tear others down to build yourself up. It can be quite sadistic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sanctuary cities must be ended 3 min Cat74 7
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min RealDave 1,262,909
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 5 min red and right 336,420
News Planned Parenthood Video Refuels GOP's Abortion... 6 min Responsibility 61
News Planned Parenthood seeks fed study of fetal tis... 8 min Dan 17
News Hillary Clinton is promising that all homes wil... 8 min Enter 9
News House to vote on 'sanctuary cities' bill 9 min An NFL Fan 210
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 10 min Le Duped 189,929
News Donald Trump blasts John McCain over 'crazies' ... 21 min Responsibility 620
More from around the web