New spill estimate doubles oil flow rate into Gulf

Jun 11, 2010 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: content.usatoday.com

Twice as much oil as originally stipulated could have been spewing from the leaking well, new figures given by scientists show.

Anywhere between 42 million gallons to more than 100 million gallons have already flowed into the Gulf of Mexico, the Associated Press reports. It is the third time the U.S. government has increased its numbers.

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Jun 12, 2010
bill orwel

Phoenix, AZ

#1 Jun 11, 2010
BP again? Beyond sea oil not pissnut oil. Golf of Obamaxico. no wonder the president wannano kick Assooo-:

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#2 Jun 11, 2010
List the countries, the company, and
location.
The President has stopped US drilling deep water.
Lance Winslow

United States

#3 Jun 11, 2010
All the underwater oil is poorly quantified. It will be measured by its effects on marine life and damage to beaches for decades to come.
mayo420

Baltimore, MD

#4 Jun 11, 2010
With 11 workers dead and dozens of internal documents revealing a corporate atmosphere of careless cost cutting, and occasionally blatant deception, I think BP pretty much "played the game" and lost.

And in this game of life? It's winner take all. If BP thought their actions would prove trivial under crisis, that they could slide in under the radar of public displeasure, then they are obviously to stupid to be allowed to enter the game in the first place.

They claim this affair will not hurt them financially. To the benefit of Americans, we should establish and reach for that threshold.

Location hidden

#5 Jun 11, 2010
Lance, I once met 'Superfund' families living in the Delta now.
There will be more, and the chemical dispersents will keep the chemical expert witnesses in trust fund money for generations.
Lance Winslow

United States

#6 Jun 11, 2010
RayOne wrote:
Lance, I once met 'Superfund' families living in the Delta now.
There will be more, and the chemical dispersents will keep the chemical expert witnesses in trust fund money for generations.
There is no doubt that, regardless of the quantity of oil involved, it will eventually dissipate and degrade. The ecosystems will come back, too, in due time. Families may not.
Lance Winslow

United States

#7 Jun 11, 2010
RayOne wrote:
List the countries, the company, and
location.
The President has stopped US drilling deep water.
Thankfully, California stopped offshore drilling decades ago, because existing technology is insufficient to protect against spills. Now, it's up to Gulf Coast states to take actions to protect ALL their offshore assets, not necessarily by banning drilling, but by indemnifying the multibillion dollar oil interests to protect both the environment and continuity of oil production.

“Snooze you lose”

Since: Mar 07

Sunnyvale, CA

#8 Jun 11, 2010
There are going to be a lot of family fishing businesses that will go under. On the bright side, maybe they can get jobs in the upcoming decade-long cleaning effort.

“Love of $ is the Root of Evil”

Since: Sep 08

Gotham City

#9 Jun 11, 2010
Obama should declare war on BP & Haliburton..

Both corporations have put the USA massively in harms way... How many troops do you think have been injured or died because of the poor job of Haliburton profiteers??!??!?!?!

They couldn't even build showers correctly!!!

Republicans should be angered by how many lies these goons have told....

“Love of $ is the Root of Evil”

Since: Sep 08

Gotham City

#10 Jun 11, 2010
Lance Winslow wrote:
<quoted text>There is no doubt that, regardless of the quantity of oil involved, it will eventually dissipate and degrade. The ecosystems will come back, too, in due time. Families may not.
Yes... right after entire species go extinct, ways of life are destroyed, and the whole place goes up in flames...

Remember, this was the largest oil discovery in the Gulf... they do not know how much oil is under there!!!

This could eventually be the largest National Security Risk the USA has ever faced if it's not stopped withing the year.

Location hidden

#11 Jun 11, 2010
When the CEO of BP he shows up, he may bring the English civility. The WH should listen to the protacal advisor.
I have worked with a few Brits, when they think they are right, they do not sit down.
God Save the Queen
rut ro rorge

Springfield, IL

#13 Jun 12, 2010
Sieze their Bonds !

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Stu Rumsfeld 1,101,431
New fear: What happens in Ferguson if no charges? 5 min reality bites 264
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 6 min Independent patriot 257,001
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min BEYONDtheCMB 115,353
Teen's Shooting Highlights Racial Tension 7 min Colbert 1,622
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min DITCH MITCH 151,454
The New Fight for Racial Justice 8 min Righteous 21
Who do you side with in Ferguson? 44 min FedinIL 2,244
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

US News People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••