Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

There are 38659 comments on the www.washingtonpost.com story from Apr 30, 2011, titled Why do Americans still dislike atheists?. In it, www.washingtonpost.com reports that:

Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don't like much: atheists.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.washingtonpost.com.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#38581 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually you claimed that 'all the time' means frequently.
And so far out of over 80 million students attending public school this year in the USA, you have found ONE case of one school reading a prayer in a public assembly.

One out of 80 million = not frequent.

Location hidden

#38582 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
Not at all. I clearly reminded you that the colloquial expression of 'all the time' was not a statistical claim. You are the delusional one.
And I said you were full of sh!t.

Another colloquial expression applied to person such as yourself who run their mouth but can't back it up.

Apples to apples: the UK requires DAILY collect worship from millions of its school students... and out of 80 million students here, you say it happens "frequently" and have come up with one case.

Location hidden

#38583 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<
No, collective meetings happen every day in the UK.
Collective worship is required by law.

What part of "required by law" is it that you don't understand?

Apples to apples: you ONE case of a student who objects (rightly) to this public prayer: he could just excuse himself from the prayer and stand in the hall, could he not?

And this is a once a year thing.

Location hidden

#38584 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
Those that choose to not worship, do not. Seriously, are you this daft?
So you have no problem with f undies requiring daily prayer as long as those who chose to not worship do not have to worship?

Dope: when I went to school, it was "required" except those who did not want to participate- after the parents went and and objected- had to put their heads down on the desk and ignore the public prayer.

And if you were part of the public prayer you had to close your eyes or you'd get smacked in the forehead with the blackboard pointer.
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38586 Jun 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Collective worship is required by law.
Fallacy of equivocation. Par for the course.
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38587 Jun 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
And so far out of over 80 million students attending public school this year in the USA, you have found ONE case of one school reading a prayer in a public assembly..
No, there are many more. But, as I pointed out earlier, this is not a claim like 'my friend is a magical sky pixie'. All you need to do is google it. Why should I do that for you?
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38588 Jun 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have no problem with f undies requiring daily prayer as long as those who chose to not worship do not have to worship?
So you have no problem with schools abandoning core curricula to provide instruction in the thousands of religious beliefs that exist today?
barefoot2626 wrote:
<
Dope: when I went to school, it was "required" except those who did not want to participate- after the parents went and and objected- had to put their heads down on the desk and ignore the public prayer.
And if you were part of the public prayer you had to close your eyes or you'd get smacked in the forehead with the blackboard pointer.
So, when the muslims demand you face east and praise Allah 5 times a day, you are happy to cling to majority rule and pay the consequences?
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38589 Jun 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<.......ONE case of a student who objects (rightly) to this public prayer: he could just excuse himself from the prayer and stand in the hall, could he not?
So your argument is that when your constitutional rights are violated, you should 'take it like a man' and let it go? Got it.

Location hidden

#38590 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
Fallacy of equivocation. Par for the course.
Follow the tread, dumbphuqe.

Location hidden

#38591 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
No, there are many more.
There are not many more, you said it happened all the time.

Back it up.

There are 80- million students who do not have religion pushed in their face like it is in the UK- WHERE COLLECTIVE WORSHIP IS REQUIRED BY LAW- where millions have in thrust in their face EVERY DAY.

Apples to apples.

PS: ALL THE TIME.

Location hidden

#38592 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
So your argument is that when your constitutional rights are violated, you should 'take it like a man' and let it go? Got it.
Follow the thread, Dumphuqe.

You are the one who is saying the COLLECTIVE WORSHIP REQUIRED BY LAW in the UK is no big deal.

Yes: the USA has a CONSTITUTION which prevents this.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH!

I do believe I have mentioned this at least fifty times.

Location hidden

#38593 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have no problem with schools abandoning core curricula
I asked you first, and my question was relevant.
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38594 Jun 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are not many more, you said it happened all the time.
Back it up.
There are 80- million students who do not have religion pushed in their face like it is in the UK- WHERE COLLECTIVE WORSHIP IS REQUIRED BY LAW- where millions have in thrust in their face EVERY DAY.
Apples to apples.
PS: ALL THE TIME.
You are so cute when you are demented. Your handlers must be so proud.......

Location hidden

#38595 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have no problem with schools abandoning core curricula to provide instruction in the thousands of religious belief
PS: You will note the EXACT QUOTE of the UK law (posted more than once) doesn't cover thousands of religious 'belief', it demands the worship be wholly or mainly of a Christian character.

Location hidden

#38596 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
So, when the muslims demand you face east and praise Allah 5 times a day, you are happy to cling to majority rule and pay the consequences?
Sweetums: you are the one that doesn't seem to have a problem with collective worship.
IRYW

Malvern, PA

#38597 Jun 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
PS: You will note the EXACT QUOTE of the UK law (posted more than once) doesn't cover thousands of religious 'belief', it demands the worship be wholly or mainly of a Christian character.
Why the f**k do you think the UK argument is mine? Cant' you keep the posters straight?

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#38598 Jun 18, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>No, it isn't. Atheism is the lack of theistic belief. It makes no claims regarding Satan.

No, it's not a fact. There are both theistic Satanists and atheistic Satanists. So how could atheism be the same thing as Satanism?

Educated What wrote, "but by definition lavey church of Satan fits the definition of atheism. "

And by definition *theistic* Satanists fit the definition of *theism*. Does that mean that theistic Satanists are "linked" to theists?
Of course you claim it isn't because it doesn't meet your agenda. All atheists do is try to debunk things with their opinions. Sorry bud but atheists is no belief in deities and lavey's satanist do not believe in deities either so they are the same.

Location hidden

#38599 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
Why the f**k do you think the UK argument is mine? Cant' you keep the posters straight?
Let's see how many times you have OBJECTED when it was brought up!

Location hidden

#38600 Jun 18, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, are you dense.

My post, "No 'true' christian would ever fight in the military........." was a pointed jab at you godbots who immediately claim that self-described christians are not true christians as soon as, they commit a crime, they don't agree with your version of biblical interpretation, etc. How could a 'true' christian, who is biblically exhorted to turn the other cheek, and love their enemies, ever fight in the military.

It is fun showing the complete lack of brain power you possess.
You haven't shown anything. You just show how narrow minded you are and how you THINK you debunk things. That is typical of atheists, but bottom line the claim stays because you or anybody else cannot prove otherwise. Lol!

Location hidden

#38601 Jun 18, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>Beats your 'happens all the time' anecdotes, EH?

And I have invited you to BACK UP YOUR BIG MOUTH, pointing to the 100,000 *schools*, which, if it happens 'all the time' one would see several hundred- if not several thousand- lawsuits.

PS: Let's remember that 'Christian' collective worship **IS REQUIRED BY LAW** in the UK.
Funny how they can't debunk evidence but go around making dumb comments. Lol!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kentucky clerk defies order, refuses to issue s... 6 min Just a Guy 396
News Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) 6 min bozo 442
Poll About Californians moving to Texas 7 min OccupyThis 12
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min THE DEVIL 1,276,698
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 11 min Thinking 47,814
News Oklahoma high court says Ten Commandments must ... 12 min Strel 2
News Who's a lame duck? Obama's next 18 months 13 min swedenforever 4
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 25 min Ho Dee Doo 193,893
News White House says Mount McKinley to be renamed D... 48 min kuda 66
News GOP establishment plans Trump takedown 1 hr rainmaker2016 90
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr positronium 341,061
More from around the web