Web's salary charts tell all, and we ...

Web's salary charts tell all, and we love it

There are 342 comments on the www.sfgate.com story from May 5, 2008, titled Web's salary charts tell all, and we love it. In it, www.sfgate.com reports that:

Struggling Giants pitcher Barry Zito will make $14.5 million this year. Mark Yudof, the new head of the University of California, earns $591,000 plus perks. Hillary and Bill Clinton grossed an estimated $20.4 million in 2007, while Barack Obama's family took in $4.2 million.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sfgate.com.

First Prev
of 18
Next Last
sandi

United States

#1 May 5, 2008
i hope they enjoy my taxes
uCnOdVer

Eden Prairie, MN

#2 May 5, 2008
One can never be too slim.

Or too rich.

<atrributed to Dorothy Parker>
leo from shanghai

United States

#3 May 5, 2008
kansas university basketball coach gets long term contract and generous pay increase. mario chalmers who made winning national championship shot gets pat on the back. NIKE($16,000,000,000.00 corporation) pays vietnamese factory workers $2.00 per day. okla. univ. football coach get $6,000,000.00 in 2008.
How stupid R U

Milton, Canada

#4 May 5, 2008
Most on the planet would be happy to work for food.

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5 May 5, 2008
How stupid R U wrote:
Many will disagree with you but there is a lot of truth in your statement. We simply are never content with what we have. The truth is we donít know how lucky we are.

I ran across this several years ago and keep the link as a reminder at how lucky I am.
http://users.gazinter.net/melan/Warn/Warnenu....

“If The Shoe Fits”

Medina, Ohio

#6 May 5, 2008
It is very sad when athletes make millions. There is something very wrong in this country.

“Tell the Truth”

Since: Nov 07

Orlando, Florida

#7 May 5, 2008
Shoe wrote:
It is very sad when athletes make millions. There is something very wrong in this country.
I say the same thing about entertainers, which is why I don't subsidize them by going to movies, concerts or buying music.

These people make far more than they are worth. Their salaries come mostly from the pockets of people who have very ordinary jobs with very ordinary pay. I prefer to keep my money in my pocket rather than give it to someone else to get rich.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#8 May 5, 2008
Shoe wrote:
Why? We as Americans demand a free market system but we grumble when someone makes too much money in our opinion.

The reason salaries are so high is demand. Like a company or government which bids contracts out the players are bidding for employers. Truly great players will demand higher salary. What would you propose? Government regulation?

When we look at our own jobs we convince ourselves weíre underpaid. The right or wrong of this issue is one based solely on perspective. Look at industry, unions have pushed wages so high that American companies have moved production to other nations. We do we blame there? Do we blame you and I for demanding lower prices or do we blame industry for attempting to maximize profits?

I will say I donít care for the higher prices. The seats I buy at an Atlanta Braves game run about $60 each. Two tickets, two hotdogs and two cokes will run you about $150. A bit steep for two to three hours of entertainment certainly. Part of the reason itís so expensive is player salary and part of the reason is public demand for tickets. Who do blame?

If a team doesnít pay the higher salaries typically the lose too often for the fans and attendance drops. What is the answer? Government regulation? Definitely no.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#9 May 5, 2008
Donna Atlanta GA wrote:
<quoted text>
I say the same thing about entertainers, which is why I don't subsidize them by going to movies, concerts or buying music.
These people make far more than they are worth. Their salaries come mostly from the pockets of people who have very ordinary jobs with very ordinary pay. I prefer to keep my money in my pocket rather than give it to someone else to get rich.
Which of course is your right. If enough people were to make the same decision then prices would drop in an attempt to increase audience.

Iím not sure Iím with you on buying music. With the advent of online purchasing weíre able to purchase individual songs at a reasonable price.

“Just Add Obama ”

Since: Mar 08

Jacksonville Florida

#10 May 5, 2008
If your boss offered you a 10% increase today would you down it down?
Seenitbefore

Three Rivers, MI

#11 May 5, 2008
Shoe wrote:
Plus the tax payers pay for their arenas and the "owners" collect the profits from them.
Olsen twins

Dover, NJ

#12 May 5, 2008
uCnOdVer wrote:
One can never be too slim.
Or too rich.
<atrributed to Dorothy Parker>
SO TRUE!

“Tell the Truth”

Orlando, Florida

#13 May 5, 2008
Seenitbefore wrote:
<quoted text>
Plus the tax payers pay for their arenas and the "owners" collect the profits from them.
Yep, I'll agree with that. I live in a suburb of Atlanta and we were recently told we were getting a minor league baseball team, along with the zillion dollar stadium for them to play in.

Imagine that!! The voters and taxpayers weren't even given a chance to say whether we wanted to pay for it or not. AND...as an added bonus...because this is a county that doesn't allow alcohol sales on Sunday (I know, it's backwards) the commissioners quickly made an exception for the ball stadium.

And they say this is a government FOR the PEOPLE. Yeah, it sure is...for those people with political positions.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#14 May 5, 2008
Donna Atlanta GA wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, I'll agree with that. I live in a suburb of Atlanta and we were recently told we were getting a minor league baseball team, along with the zillion dollar stadium for them to play in.
Imagine that!! The voters and taxpayers weren't even given a chance to say whether we wanted to pay for it or not. AND...as an added bonus...because this is a county that doesn't allow alcohol sales on Sunday (I know, it's backwards) the commissioners quickly made an exception for the ball stadium.
And they say this is a government FOR the PEOPLE. Yeah, it sure is...for those people with political positions.
It appears the stadium will ultimately be paid by the tenant. I do object to the rental vehicle tax being part of the funding, that is indeed tax payer money.

From - http://www.ajc.com/gwinnett/content/metro/gwi...

The county plans to repay the debt on the stadium in 30 years through rent on the stadium, ticket surcharges, a share of parking revenues, a share of stadium naming rights and money from a new tax on vehicle rentals. It is paying $12 million up front for the land and part of construction costs on the $45 million stadium.

“Tell the Truth”

Orlando, Florida

#15 May 5, 2008
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
It appears the stadium will ultimately be paid by the tenant. I do object to the rental vehicle tax being part of the funding, that is indeed tax payer money.
From - http://www.ajc.com/gwinnett/content/metro/gwi...
The county plans to repay the debt on the stadium in 30 years through rent on the stadium, ticket surcharges, a share of parking revenues, a share of stadium naming rights and money from a new tax on vehicle rentals. It is paying $12 million up front for the land and part of construction costs on the $45 million stadium.
That's what they're telling us NOW. 30 years is a long time and they'll find a way to creep more and more of onto the county taxpayer.

“Just Add Obama ”

Jacksonville Florida

#16 May 5, 2008
Donna Atlanta GA wrote:
<quoted text>
Who ever voted for it should be voted out of office as soon as possible. Even if they have done some good things will in office. If we as a majority of voters make it clear that if you spend our money on BS, you will lose your power. Of course this will not happen, because to many voters are lazy and desire a nanny government.

Location hidden

#17 May 5, 2008
The dems chide repubs as the rich! They give the appearance of middle-classers when in fact there are as many wealthy dems as repubs!

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#18 May 5, 2008
Seenitbefore wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to feel the same way but suddenly decided to embrace it and enjoy it--but just football nothing else.
Besides its a dream that has been reached and fullfilled by the poorest and those who lived and grew up in the most hopeless situations by many who otherwise would not have obtained anything so rewarding. Still its up to them to hold onto that dream.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#19 May 5, 2008
Donna Atlanta GA wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what they're telling us NOW. 30 years is a long time and they'll find a way to creep more and more of onto the county taxpayer.
I might agree with you if the Braves had a tendency to move their minor league team around. This isnít unusual for a government. This is actually one of the brighter moves on the part of Gwinnett County.

The stadium will bring money into the area. Itís less than a mile from the Mall of Georgia. The stadium will further economically stabilize the area and likely will stimulate further economic growth. It generates tax revenues and creates jobs.

I strongly believe itíll be an economic benefit for Gwinnett County.
minor threat

Tallahassee, FL

#20 May 5, 2008
indirectly i think we all do and a few luxury items like air conditioning, owning a vehicle, vacations, education, etc. also most on the planet have never even used a telephone. it's 2008 and world governments have done a miserable job combatting disease, war, genocides and famine.
How stupid R U wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 3 min iamcuriousnow 14,993
News Female candidate quits Kansas race over 2005 ha... 3 min See The Light 12
News Many Christian conservatives are backing Alabam... 3 min Chilli J 1,362
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 4 min Rider on the Storm 47,207
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min mdbuilder 1,659,245
News Trump accusers call for congressional investiga... 8 min Death on 2 Legs 205
News White House will override Obama's climate plan 10 min Mothra 1,672
News Kentucky reeling from sexual assault, harassmen... 1 hr Retribution 13
News Democrats silent on whether Trump should resign... 2 hr See The Light 73
More from around the web