Online sales tax bill seen stalling in Republican-led House

May 6, 2013 Full story: Reuters 59

The Senate was expected to vote on Monday to give states the power to enforce their sales tax laws on online purchases, but the legislation was likely to stall in the Republican-controlled House of Representatives.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Cat74

Barrington, IL

#1 May 6, 2013
When there has never been a tax on items purchased on the internet, and the Democrats persue a sales tax that is a tax increase. Republicans will not vote for a tax increase just months before they will campaign for reelection in 2014,

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#2 May 6, 2013
Yeay. Hurrah for republicans. Down with Benghazi democrats!
Big Bowl of Crazy

Los Angeles, CA

#3 May 6, 2013
Well this is one time I can say kudos to Republicans.
liarliar pants on fire

Vandergrift, PA

#4 May 6, 2013
PICK Any WORD IN THE DICTIONARY like market add a second word like fairness or equality or rights, add "TAX" after it . NOW go to the internet ,google iT, ODDS ARE its already on the federal state or county list of taxes.usually at least two. im sure the tax think tanks are already pondering something like "purchasers rights, middle market LONG HAUL EXCISE TAX" or "PREPONDERANCE EQUALITY MEAN AVERAGE MARKUP TAX"...theres just no end to a CASH STRAPPED BIG BROTHER.... lets try another..."long distance excess fuel and oil brick and morter excise TAX"... OR "UMBAY UNBAY EBAY , PREPAY WINNING BIDDER TAX" ......"READ MY ??????? LIPS, NO NEW TAXES"
see the light

El Paso, TX

#5 May 6, 2013
All Obama does is increase our taxes any which way.
Big Bowl of Crazy

Los Angeles, CA

#6 May 6, 2013
see the light wrote:
All Obama does is increase our taxes any which way.
Wow... you're a true beacon for ignorance.

The Constitution does not allow Obama to raise taxes on his own.

Please take a civics class.
see the light

El Paso, TX

#7 May 6, 2013
Big Bowl of Crazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama doesn't raise taxes on his own huh? Who does he raise them on in America? Not illegals and most Democrats=Welfare.
Cat74

Barrington, IL

#8 May 6, 2013
The internet tax passed the Senate, but it will be dead in the House. I thought money bills had to start in the House. Leave it to the Democrats to do everything ass backward. I love watching the Democrats do their Kaboki dance, knowing their insanity will fail in the House.

“Proud To Be An American”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#9 May 6, 2013
WTF is wrong with these asinine senate RINOs voting for a mountain of insane democRat-Sht? I would not be a bit surprised if a little back-scratching went on during the gun-ban-vote. After all no one loves a tax more than a filthy democRat and they'll deal votes to get it...despicable.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#10 May 7, 2013
Big Bowl of Crazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. I'm sure he'll veto the bill when it gets to him. That will show these repubs Obama keeps his promises. You remember:

"I can make a firm pledge, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes." Barack Obama
not really

Albuquerque, NM

#11 May 7, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
When there has never been a tax on items purchased on the internet, and the Democrats persue a sales tax that is a tax increase. Republicans will not vote for a tax increase just months before they will campaign for reelection in 2014,
Realistically it is not a tax increase, but collection of an existing tax by states. The 46 states that have a sales tax have a 'use tax' on their tax returns where non-taxed purchases are supposed to be filed, but no one claims these purchases. This legislation forces businesses to collect the tax for the state their merchandise is shipped to and forward the tax to the state. If you order online from a business that has a store in your locale like best-buy, walmart etc. they collect the sales tax. This legislation just forces all internet businesses to do the same. The wrinkle is if they don't just have a flat tax for internet sales tax rates by the states, the sellers in these internet businesses will have to keep updated an enormous database of taxes that change usually more than once a year on tens of thousands of state sales tax areas. Is it right ? No telling, if you were to buy the item at a store you would pay the tax at the register. To me it's no different than driving to another state that has no sales tax, purchasing an item and bringing it home. I'm expected to report the amount I spent for the item on my tax return as a 'use tax', but I don't and I don't know anyone who does.

“Veritas Vincit. Pro Libertate”

Since: Jun 08

peoples republic of Madison

#12 May 7, 2013
not really wrote:
<quoted text>
Realistically it is not a tax increase, but collection of an existing tax by states. The 46 states that have a sales tax have a 'use tax' on their tax returns where non-taxed purchases are supposed to be filed, but no one claims these purchases. This legislation forces businesses to collect the tax for the state their merchandise is shipped to and forward the tax to the state. If you order online from a business that has a store in your locale like best-buy, walmart etc. they collect the sales tax. This legislation just forces all internet businesses to do the same. The wrinkle is if they don't just have a flat tax for internet sales tax rates by the states, the sellers in these internet businesses will have to keep updated an enormous database of taxes that change usually more than once a year on tens of thousands of state sales tax areas. Is it right ? No telling, if you were to buy the item at a store you would pay the tax at the register. To me it's no different than driving to another state that has no sales tax, purchasing an item and bringing it home. I'm expected to report the amount I spent for the item on my tax return as a 'use tax', but I don't and I don't know anyone who does.
Um no this is a tax on a business that have no presence in the state and therefore amounts to taxation without representation. It should be more appropriately named "The Marketplace Extortion Act"! http://www.teapartyperspective.com/2013/05/06...
see the light

El Paso, TX

#13 May 7, 2013
Democrats are for ANYTHING bad for America.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#14 May 7, 2013
Benghazi democrats only want more taxes so they don't have to work while making other people work harder for less money. And they also like to kill Ambassadors. And they like covering it up even more. Mental cases? I should think so. The only media that matters to democrats is Media Matters. They are low info idiots.
conservative crapola

Whitehall, PA

#15 May 7, 2013
JohnInLa wrote:
The cons sold you out. Go cry to piyush and bring your shoe shine.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#16 May 7, 2013
Who said,' I think at some point, you've made enough money.'
conservative crapola

Bethlehem, PA

#17 May 7, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
Who said,' I think at some point, you've made enough money.'
The kock brothers. After ravaging russia.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#18 May 7, 2013
conservative crapola wrote:
<quoted text>
The kock brothers. After ravaging russia.
you libs sure worry a lot about a couple of guys that sell tampons and toilet paper.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#19 May 7, 2013
For the record , as some one who purchase off the internet, I can see paying a sales tax on items I purchase. But the tax should be based on where the purchase is made not to where it is sent. That way the business just has to know what his local taxc rate is and not every tax rate in the nation. After all if I purchase something while on a trip out of state I paythe local tax rate, not the one in California.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#20 May 7, 2013
m For example i just made a Purchase from a business in Wisconsin for $24.50. The tax rate here is 8% so should the business send be forced to send a1.96 To California, would cost the State more to process the check then it was worth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 min red and right 293,420
Ruble crisis could shake Putin's grip on power 4 min PUTIN MUST GO 61
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Teaman 1,153,760
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 5 min Independent1 12,079
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min Blitzking 132,326
Nancy Pelosi 'Enormously Disappointed' With Whi... 6 min RayOne 123
Obama's plan: 'Deport felons, not families' 6 min WeTheSheeple 591
US to start talks with Cuba to normalize full d... 12 min okimar 62
Sony hack renews cybersecurity push 35 min Kid_Tomorrow 4
More from around the web