People do not need assault weapons: d...

People do not need assault weapons: defense secretary

There are 4995 comments on the Reuters story from Jan 17, 2013, titled People do not need assault weapons: defense secretary. In it, Reuters reports that:

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta joined the gun control debate on Thursday when he told troops at a military base in Italy that only soldiers needed armor-piercing bullets or assault weapons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

au contraire

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#2059 Feb 5, 2013
conservative crapola wrote:
<quoted text>
Back to the teleprompter? The cons lost because of you. hahahahahahahahaha
AU fraudbo cry-a-thon: Day 91.
Really, I thought we won because we won the house, and control the money pookie. Your boy has his wittle balls tied to his winky so shooting the big gun didn't rupture him.

au contraire

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#2060 Feb 5, 2013
Brown Girl in the Ring wrote:
<quoted text>
Prof, why cant you just be nice to him and give him a colouring book and some crayons? You know its very wrong to mock the afflicted.
You should know, you keep spending billion on the biggest reality show this side of the Thames. Who will the royals sleep with next, stay tuned.
Imhotep

Trenton, FL

#2063 Feb 5, 2013
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—The White House’s attempt to portray President Obama as a gun user may have had unintended consequences today, as a newly released photo of Mr. Obama firing a rifle at Camp David set off a panic of gun buying across the U.S.

Right-wing opponents of Mr. Obama were behind the frenzied gun sales, saying that they were terrified by the image of an armed and shooting President.

“I don’t want to sound paranoid or anything, but now everything Obama has been doing makes sense,” said Harland Dorrinson, who was waiting on a blocks-long line outside a West Virginia Wal-Mart.“He wants to take away all our guns and then he’s going to come shoot us.”

Learning that Mr. Obama only uses his rifle for skeet-shooting did little to calm Mr. Dorrinson:“Somebody owning a gun just for sporting purposes? Yeah, right.”

In an effort to stem the panic, White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters today that skeet-shooting took up relatively little of the President’s time at Camp David, and that his favorite leisure activities were “actually badminton and frisbee.”

The White House later released a photo of Mr. Obama putting away his gun and never using it again.

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#2064 Feb 5, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see...
I didn't see a "contradiction", as you put it. I think you're getting inventive in your discussion.
And, you're asking for a reputable quote from some of the worst characters in the history of human existence, right?
Do you listen to yourself?
How about the definition I presented for fascism.
Comment on that.
Let me paraphrase ron Reagan here definitions are funny things, you not entitled to your own special set of definations.

fas·cism
/&#712;faSHiz&#601;m/
Noun
An authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.
(in general use) Extreme right-wing, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practice.

It is humourous that now you don't want to discuss the very detestable carachters that you brought into the discussion..........
Hitler as a liberal

Banned Unions...making Germany a'right to work country'
Homosexuality was punishable with a stay in Dachau
Communists were sent to concentration camps before jews were

There were dozens of Hitler quotes where he blasts Democracy and Liberalism
I would rather not abuse every one else who uses this thread
So keep that bit of absurdity off of the table....
Tray

Pontotoc, MS

#2065 Feb 6, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
The bombing of the federal building was a horrific act of terrorism, and anyone who supports it is MY personal enemy and the enemy of all decent Americans.
Go straight to hell, punk. Or leave the country, even better.
But you support the government doing the same like Ruby Ridge? It was a heroic act by a citizen to bring fear of the American citizen back to the government NAZI trying to overstep their powers. It worked. He is a hero to all freedom loving Americans who respect the foundation this country was built on. As far as your other ranting, do you think for one second that you impress me in the least?
Tray

Pontotoc, MS

#2066 Feb 6, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
so let me understand you
Potts being incompetent or evil his mis deeds ....justify making war on your country ...thus justifying McVie
Killing innocent Americans is never justified , under ANY circumstances
Tell that to the U.S. government. And just how do you think the American people should respond when innocent citizens are killed by the government?

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#2067 Feb 6, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me paraphrase ron Reagan here definitions are funny things, you not entitled to your own special set of definations.
fas·cism
/&#712;faSHiz&#601;m/
Noun
An authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.
(in general use) Extreme right-wing, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practice.
It is humourous that now you don't want to discuss the very detestable carachters that you brought into the discussion..........
Hitler as a liberal
OK...so now how about the Merriam-Webster definition:

Definition of FASCISM
1: often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
2: a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control <early instances of army fascism and brutality — J. W. Aldridge>
— fas·cist \-shist also -sist\ noun or adjective often capitalized
— fas·cis·tic \fa-&#712;shis-tik also -&#712;sis-\ adjective often capitalized
— fas·cis·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(&#601;-)l&#275; \ adverb often capitalized

No "right" or "left" wing mentioned. Now be intellectually honest and tell us which side this mostly resembles, and gives examples of such.

Southeast Virginia

#2068 Feb 6, 2013
More from Merriam-Webster:

"Philosophy of government that stresses the primacy and glory of the state, unquestioning obedience to its leader, subordination of the individual will to the state's authority, and harsh suppression of dissent. Martial virtues are celebrated, while liberal and democratic values are disparaged. Fascism arose during the 1920s and '30s partly out of fear of the rising power of the working classes; it differed from contemporary communism (as practiced under Joseph Stalin) by its protection of business and landowning elites and its preservation of class systems. The leaders of the fascist governments of Italy (1922–43), Germany (1933–45), and Spain (1939–75)—Benito Mussolini, Adolf Hitler, and Francisco Franco—were portrayed to their publics as embodiments of the strength and resolve necessary to rescue their nations from political and economic chaos. Japanese fascists (1936–45) fostered belief in the uniqueness of the Japanese spirit and taught subordination to the state and personal sacrifice. See also totalitarianism; neofascism."

Southeast Virginia

#2069 Feb 6, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> But you support the government doing the same like Ruby Ridge? It was a heroic act by a citizen to bring fear of the American citizen back to the government NAZI trying to overstep their powers. It worked. He is a hero to all freedom loving Americans who respect the foundation this country was built on. As far as your other ranting, do you think for one second that you impress me in the least?
Are you calling McVeigh or Weaver a hero??

Southeast Virginia

#2070 Feb 6, 2013
Let me rephrase that. Which one are you calling a hero? McVeigh or Weaver?

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#2071 Feb 6, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
fas·cism
/&#712;faSHiz&#601;m/
Noun
Hitler as a liberal
... unthinking dupes mindlessly regurgitating indoctrination.

Your sources seems to be biased. What use is the term "right-wing" in the definitioin? The only reason to include that descriptor is to bias the audience and indoctrinate them with a negative connotation of "right-wing", thus being intolerant to the point of not allowing discussion on the merits.

Let's take a look at this without the liberal bullshit bias:

"An authoritarian and nationalistic system of government and social organization.
(in general use) Extreme, authoritarian, or intolerant views or practice."

Now, let's take a look at recent history:

Pelosi stated we have to enact a law to know what the law is.
That would be authoritarian (the population has no need to judge the law for acceptance), nationalistic (blind acceptance of the legislation without thought based on it being promoted by Obama as head of state), extreme (forces the instant inclusion of all in the population regardless of benefit to the overall living conditions), intolerant (if you recall, the Democrats pretended they were the sole institution of government and ignored any other party/element/faction).

According to your definition, the Democrats are Fascists.

Perhaps we can look at another case in point.

How about you reference a case that demonstrates the Democrats aren't fascist.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#2072 Feb 6, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you calling McVeigh or Weaver a hero??
I call Randy Weaver a hero.
Timothy McVeigh took it upon himself to engage in a war against a government that had obviously begun assassinating innocent Americans.
What would you call that?

Southeast Virginia

#2073 Feb 6, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
I call Randy Weaver a hero.
Timothy McVeigh took it upon himself to engage in a war against a government that had obviously begun assassinating innocent Americans.
What would you call that?
Mass murder.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2074 Feb 6, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Mass murder.
...Or, Domestic Terrorism.....

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#2075 Feb 6, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Mass murder.
It was a mass murder. But, so is bombing a city like Tokyo during a war.
What do you call the government assassinating innocent Americans?
And, what would you do when that begins to happen?

Buffalo, NY

#2076 Feb 6, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
OK...so now how about the Merriam-Webster definition:
Definition of FASCISM
1: often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition
2: a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control <early instances of army fascism and brutality — J. W. Aldridge>
— fas·cist \-shist also -sist\ noun or adjective often capitalized
— fas·cis·tic \fa-&#712;shis-tik also -&#712;sis-\ adjective often capitalized
— fas·cis·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(&#601;-)l&#275; \ adverb often capitalized
No "right" or "left" wing mentioned. Now be intellectually honest and tell us which side this mostly resembles, and gives examples of such.
Fair enough we dissect this non partisan definition.
Remember in order to be defined as a fascist you need to fit the entire definition not just selected bits of it.
The United States does not have a government headed by a dictator, thus any nation whos leader is subjected to re-election could not qualify under the primary definition.
The second portion almost any one with an agenda that is pursued vigorously could qualify.
Would this make Israel a Fascist state?
I would disagree based upon the idea that, contested fair elections negates the primary definition.
I am going to follow up on this idea this morning

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#2077 Feb 6, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>...Or, Domestic Terrorism.....
It was terrorism.
But, so is bombing a city like Hamburg during a war.
What do you call it when the government begins assassinating innocent Americans?
What would you do when that started happening?

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#2078 Feb 6, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough we dissect this non partisan definition.
Remember in order to be defined as a fascist you need to fit the entire definition not just selected bits of it.
The United States does not have a government headed by a dictator, thus any nation whos leader is subjected to re-election could not qualify under the primary definition.
The second portion almost any one with an agenda that is pursued vigorously could qualify.
Would this make Israel a Fascist state?
I would disagree based upon the idea that, contested fair elections negates the primary definition.
I am going to follow up on this idea this morning
That would require adherence to the Constitution.
Let's talk about that....

Where will the money come from to pay for Obama's government?

Being discussed in the White House:
1) Taxing/seizing existing assets, thus denying Americans the right of ownership of property (in addition to being right out of Marx's "Das Kapital".)
2) Establishing an alternate unconstitutional government aside from the constitutional government, and funding it with coins minted by the Treasury Department and exchanging those coins with the Federal Reserve in exchange of real money unconstitutionally borrowed by the unconstitutional government (aside from being right out of Machievelli's "The Prince".)
3) Giving federal land that is in actuality part of what the Constitution calls "free states" to China in exchange for payment on the debt, obviously unconstitutional.

And, we can discuss all the unconstitutional executive orders Obama signed that issues commands to elements and entities outside the Executive Branch of government, and not in accordance or enforcing existing laws passed in accordance with the Cosntitution.

You see, it's obvious the Democrats have no regard for the Constitution. So, this minor requirement that a president is restricted to two terms doesn't really mean anything to them.

The Democrats have no intention of letting Obama step down as president at the Constitutional end of two terms. They seek the establishment of a fascist dictatorship.

Or, I could be wrong. Answer the question:

Where will the money come from to pay for Obama's government?

Buffalo, NY

#2079 Feb 6, 2013

Are we willing to accept a broad definition of fascism. A definition that could include the U.S. gov't at various points
First fair play dictates that the left and right both have the same definition applied to them. As do blacks and white.

1) The lefts equivalent 'martyrs' would be the 1960's and '70's anti war protesters who were killed due to the actions of the Gov't. Were the shootings at Kent State equal to the Ruby Ridge and Waco incidents. If there is an equal application of the definition applied by our Right winged contributors here.. Then the GOP is just as tarred as the DEM in that Nixon was the head of the Gov't at the time and the national guard was under the control of the Gov't of Nixon.

2) Could black American not claim the same in the name of Civil Rights activists murdered during the same time frame. Would this then justify a paranoid view of our judicial system.

Im just wondering how fully the contributors of this thread would apply the defination of the word Fascist

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2080 Feb 6, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
It was terrorism.
But, so is bombing a city like Hamburg during a war.
What do you call it when the government begins assassinating innocent Americans?
What would you do when that started happening?
Sorry, i see innocent as an inflamatory assumption....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Longtime aide: Clinton didn't want "anybody" to... 8 min Private Weiners 1
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Bill 1,395,959
News Donald Trump just gave a bizarre response to ho... 12 min NOM s Waffle House 1
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 16 min Tolerman 2,102
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 20 min River Tam 13,149
News Supreme Court Takes Up Global Warming (Nov '06) 23 min Earthling-1 36
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 24 min Frito Bandito 388,329
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 47 min AMERICAN SUNSHINE 228,786
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 3 hr Islam DevilWorship 3,537
News Boston Globe's front page: AR-15, 'Make It Stop' 5 hr serfs up 501
More from around the web