People do not need assault weapons: defense secretary

Jan 17, 2013 Read more: Reuters 4,995

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta joined the gun control debate on Thursday when he told troops at a military base in Italy that only soldiers needed armor-piercing bullets or assault weapons.

Read more

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#1251 Jan 25, 2013
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>Reasonable weapons ?
Would that be price or a weapon that does not disagree when you talk to it ?
It's a slippery slope buzz word.

I have no idea where congress is going to get the money to enforce such gun bans, the states have been laying off cops left and right due to budget cuts.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/sherif...

Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. set off alarm bells Friday with a radio spot some view as a call for citizens to arm themselves.

In the radio ad, Clarke tells residents personal safety isn't a spectator sport anymore, and that "I need you in the game."

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Clarke intones.

"You could beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back."

Clarke urges listeners to take a firearm safety course and handle a firearm "so you can defend yourself until we get there."

"You have a duty to protect yourself and your family. We're partners now. Can I count on you?"
question Obama

Rochester, MN

#1252 Jan 25, 2013
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>Your reasoning is like a head full of doo doo, therefore your reasoning is unreasonable.
A+ Post
Rebel Against Tyranny

Grand Haven, MI

#1253 Jan 25, 2013
Ol' Dead Fish (Rahm "Tiny Ballerina" Emanuel) called for banks to refuse to do business with gun makers that don't toe the line and support gun restrictions.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/...

How about gun manufacturers refusing to sell guns or ammunition to THE US GOVERNMENT, including specifically, and at first, CHICAGO and their LE agencies, private security firms that guard political VIPS like Rahm, and city/county/state police officers? If the Chicago embargo doesn’t work, take it Federal. Refuse to fulfill military/TLA weapon-sale contracts, and walk away from new/current Fed bids for guns/ammo.

_WE_ MAKE the guns, not the government!

We CAN take THEIRS away by simply refusing to sell to them!
Say the Truth

Lansdale, PA

#1254 Jan 25, 2013
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
He sure is! I live in one of the most affluent areas on Long Island, make plenty of money, and don't spew idiotic rhetoric, as you've obviously been taught - and very well I may add.
Why hide your location numbnuts?
I didn't know the household help got paid so well.
Say the Truth

Lansdale, PA

#1255 Jan 25, 2013
question Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
Blood on the hands of the Anti-Gun LEFT
http://www.thedailyherald.com/opinion/letters...
EVERY scene of mass murder was a place where firearms were expressly FORBIDDEN. Amazing that dopeycrats miss the sad irony.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#1256 Jan 25, 2013
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>It's a slippery slope buzz word.
I have no idea where congress is going to get the money to enforce such gun bans, the states have been laying off cops left and right due to budget cuts.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/sherif...
Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. set off alarm bells Friday with a radio spot some view as a call for citizens to arm themselves.
In the radio ad, Clarke tells residents personal safety isn't a spectator sport anymore, and that "I need you in the game."
"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Clarke intones.
"You could beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back."
Clarke urges listeners to take a firearm safety course and handle a firearm "so you can defend yourself until we get there."
"You have a duty to protect yourself and your family. We're partners now. Can I count on you?"
Some small towns have disbanded their police departments and asked county Sheriffs to take up the slack.

It is as it always has been ; If you want something done right , you have to do it yourself.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#1257 Jan 25, 2013
question Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
Blood on the hands of the Anti-Gun LEFT
http://www.thedailyherald.com/opinion/letters...
From Mao to Hitler and the Queen of England, politictions love gun control.
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#1258 Jan 25, 2013
The Chicago thug wrote:
Obammma is just a thug,
– A federal court's ruling Friday that President Obama violated the Constitution with recess appointments to the National Labor Relations Board opened the door to claims that a host of rulings and other past appointments may be in question, as the White House blasted the decision as unfounded
He wants what hitler wanted,
All the citizens unarmed..
It's because of his total disrespect of the US Constitution
His tyrannical illegal decrees as if he were king
That every PATRIOT be armed
James Madison was wiser than obamma because he predicted there was gonna be. Time of judicial plundering , ie legal thieving!
Well said.
All that half-breed bastard wants is to make it impossable for Americans to ever resist the government. They could care less how many children or adults get wacked each and every year. They just want you to roll over for whatever the government says.
Rebel Against Tyranny

Grand Haven, MI

#1259 Jan 25, 2013
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>Some small towns have disbanded their police departments and asked county Sheriffs to take up the slack.
It is as it always has been ; If you want something done right , you have to do it yourself.
Well, citizens may have to do without the protection of law enforcement, but thank God the Public (read: government employee) Unions will be unaffected and continue to receive steadily-increasing wages, benefits, and pensions.

That's far more important than maintaining civil order and the Rule of Law!

Right?

How about restricting the government's guns?

We make the guns. Just don't sell any to the government. After all, government is responsible for far more deaths than any civilians. It's only responsible to take guns out of the hands of the psychopaths we have in government. People like Rahm "Tiny Ballerina" Emanuel are pressuring banks not to do business with gun makers. Let Rahm's security detail defend him with pointed sticks.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#1260 Jan 25, 2013
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>The largest account of mass murder was at Wounded Knee where federal agents and officers killed over 200 men, women and children, and you wonder why we cherish the 2nd amendment.
You're preaching to the choir.

Southeast Virginia

#1261 Jan 26, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
No one's killed "54 million babies" in America, liar. Killing babies is illegal, and rightly so. Abortions do not involve "killing babies."
How do you sleep at night when you lie so damn much?
Gun Control has killed FAR MORE people than that: http://jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/deathgc.htm

Southeast Virginia

#1262 Jan 26, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
When you support the slaughter of innocent children, you kinda make yourself the villain.
We're just pointing it out to you.
And you have the gall to call someone else a liar??? Please post ANY proof you can fins of anyone here supporting the "slaughter of innocent children". What a douchebag you are.

Southeast Virginia

#1263 Jan 26, 2013
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
I come from a military household - my father retirede at 20 years.
High caliber - my mistake - would refer to;
7.62 mm;
And so forth.
Your father may (or may not) have retired from the military, but you still don't know shit.

Let me give you a little free education.

You have LARGE caliber ammunition such as .40S&W,.45ACP,.454 Casull,.44mag,.41sp,.45-70 govt, etc.

You have MEDIUM caliber ammunition such as 7.62, 7mm,.38sp,.357mag, 9mm,.32ACP,.380ACP, etc.

Then you have SMALL caliber ammunition such as .17HMR, 5.7,.22LR,.22short,.223, 5.56, etc.

Caliber is nothing more than the diameter of the bullet. Nothing more, nothing less.

Southeast Virginia

#1264 Jan 26, 2013
TonyT1961 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is about mass shootings with assault weapons imbecile. Guess where this happened?
"Twelve people were killed and 59 were injured in Aurora, Colo., during a sold-out midnight premier of the new Batman movie "The Dark Knight Rises" when 24-year-old James Holmes allegedly unloaded four weapons' full of ammunition into the unsuspecting crowd. The number of casualties makes the incident the largest mass shooting in U.S. history."
http://sentencing.typepad.com/sentencing_law_...
And again proving that Gun-Free Zones do not work.

BAN GUN-FEE ZONES!!!

Southeast Virginia

#1265 Jan 26, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Well DUH!
Obviously you missed the part about us re-electing Obama and that we will work just as hard to elect Hillary as president in 2016 & reelect her in 2020.
Sorry, it will only apply to state approved militia members only while called up to service by the state.
Still beating that dead horse, huh?

Southeast Virginia

#1266 Jan 26, 2013
Doctor My Eyes wrote:
<quoted text>
"No babies have been killed that I'm aware of."
Except by maniacs with Bushmasters and 10+ round clips.
This whole thing is just as sick as anyone who gets off on owning this sh!t. The bottom line is I don't want anyone who won't agree to having a background & mental health check, fingerprinting, whatever, to be able to buy a gun or have one on them when I am in the same place they are. I also want strict/severe accountability for anyone selling guns. I believe they both fall under the protection of everyone else's inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
I have no problem with reasonable people owning reasonable weapons and ammo.
And who the hell are you to determine what someone else would consider "reasonable"??

Southeast Virginia

#1267 Jan 26, 2013
Bonhomme Richard wrote:
What is an assault weapon? I have a brace of muzzle loading pistols and a long gun from 1886, A M1 from 1944,A 30-06 Sniper rifle from Vietnam, 3 new Glocks with big magazines. I am looking for a black gun and the gun show this weekend.
How long does it take before the black gun is a antique and exceptable?
If the prices for AR's are anything like they were here last weekend...bring at least $2,000 with you for an AR, and at least $800 for an SKS or AK.
Marauder

Valdez, AK

#1268 Jan 26, 2013
Doctor My Eyes wrote:
<quoted text>
"No babies have been killed that I'm aware of."
Except by maniacs with Bushmasters and 10+ round clips.
This whole thing is just as sick as anyone who gets off on owning this sh!t. The bottom line is I don't want anyone who won't agree to having a background & mental health check, fingerprinting, whatever, to be able to buy a gun or have one on them when I am in the same place they are. I also want strict/severe accountability for anyone selling guns. I believe they both fall under the protection of everyone else's inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
I have no problem with reasonable people owning reasonable weapons and ammo.
You're a "frustrated control freak"...got it..thanks.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1269 Jan 26, 2013
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>You're way off base, the people are entitled to have the same arms as the military for purposes of ammo and magazine commonality for the common defense.
Nukes, tanks, howitzers, rpgs, etc?

Oh, not ALL arms?

I see........

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1270 Jan 26, 2013
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>Your reasoning is like a head full of doo doo, therefore your reasoning is unreasonable.
I feel the same way about gun nuts who think they need to own as assault rifle or a machine gun or an rpg or a tank or a nuke.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hillary Clinton, the one candidate who could ta... 2 min tom wingo 8
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Nuculur option 1,216,613
News Huckabee to reveal presidential plans on May 5 ... 2 min ACTUALLY 6
News South Carolina man shot by cop remembered at fu... 3 min Not so 23
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Beyond The Wall 159,468
News The Shake Shack summit that saved the education... 5 min Cat74 1
News Race motive seen in delay to vote in Loretta Ly... 9 min Will E Lynch 8
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 16 min NTRPRNR1 323,212
News Hillary Clinton has a new position on same-sex ... 22 min goonsquad 165
News Which presidential hopefuls would attend a gay ... 1 hr Fa-Foxy 63