People do not need assault weapons: d...

People do not need assault weapons: defense secretary

There are 4995 comments on the Reuters story from Jan 17, 2013, titled People do not need assault weapons: defense secretary. In it, Reuters reports that:

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta joined the gun control debate on Thursday when he told troops at a military base in Italy that only soldiers needed armor-piercing bullets or assault weapons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#2887 Feb 16, 2013
Besara wrote:
<quoted text>Because while they were teabagging you, you sneezed.
Your boyfriend sneezed in your panties?

No one wants to read of your sexual adventures.

Poor teabagger.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#2888 Feb 16, 2013
Besara wrote:
<quoted text>Your chin doubles as a Scrotum Shelf.
Just because yours does, doesn't mean everyone's does.

Poor teabagger.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#2889 Feb 16, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The wife doesn't stop the husband with the gun hundreds of times every year and three times a day, average.
LOL.
drinK thE Hive

New York, NY

#2890 Feb 16, 2013
What We Are Is More Like Mutations - Living Under The Law' Of Darwinism - Maybe We'll Survive - Maybe We Won't."...

http://3.cdn.tapcdn.com/images/thumbs/taps/20...

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#2891 Feb 16, 2013
Rebel Against Tyranny wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, on average, 1.2 MILLION private citizens a YEAR defend themselves and others with a gun against criminals. So, that has to mean you'd rather see a million innocent people murdered/raped/robbed/injured/ maimed/abducted each year.
You're a sick, twisted, sadistic little worm, aren't you? Are you being paid by some group, or are you this devoid of human decency, intellectual honesty, and any sense of right or wrong for *free*?
quote a source for those stats
Rebel Against Tyranny

Fruitport, MI

#2892 Feb 16, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
quote a source for those stats
>"Estimates over the number of defensive gun uses vary wildly, depending on the study's population, criteria, time-period studied, and other factors. Higher end estimates by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz cite between 1 to 2.5 million DGUs in the United States each year.[1]:64-65[2][3] Low end estimates by Hemenway cite approximately 55,000-80,000 such uses each year.[4][5] Middle estimates have estimated approximately 1 million DGU incidents in the United States."<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_gun_us...
buckwheat

Tulsa, OK

#2893 Feb 16, 2013
I'm no "prepper" by any means, but if the economy crashes, and the guys and gals in Washington are doing their best to assure that, then I would feel better with an AR-15 for protection.

If that doesn't happen, then what am I hurting by keeping one in my safe?

You CAN'T regulate guns out of the hands of criminals. It is IMPOSSIBLE. They do not obey laws, therefore "criminals."
Rebel Against Tyranny

Fruitport, MI

#2894 Feb 16, 2013
buckwheat wrote:
I'm no "prepper" by any means, but if the economy crashes, and the guys and gals in Washington are doing their best to assure that, then I would feel better with an AR-15 for protection.
If that doesn't happen, then what am I hurting by keeping one in my safe?
You CAN'T regulate guns out of the hands of criminals. It is IMPOSSIBLE. They do not obey laws, therefore "criminals."
They don't care about criminals having guns. They'll just pay the criminals to help them.

They care about the population in general having guns. It's all part of UN Agenda 21. When it comes time to start forcing people in rural areas into camps and holding centers in the process of restricting the population to tightly-controlled & monitored official government metropolitan centers, they want to minimize the amount of armed citizen resistance they'll encounter. It's all right on the UN website, under "Agenda for the 21st Century".
Rebel Against Tyranny

Fruitport, MI

#2895 Feb 16, 2013
<quoted text>
They don't care about criminals having guns. They'll just pay the criminals to help them.
They care about the population in general having guns. It's all part of UN Agenda 21. When it comes time to start forcing people in rural areas into camps and holding centers in the process of restricting the population to tightly-controlled & monitored official government metropolitan centers, they want to minimize the amount of armed citizen resistance they'll encounter. It's all right on the UN website, under "Agenda for the 21st Century".
They plan to use the coming economic & social collapse, and the food and other shortages to follow, to force people into government camps and/or controlled population centers. This is one of the reasons why the government has been making things increasingly difficult for the small farmers and mom-&-pop businesses, and why they must disarm the majority of the people. They cannot allow people to have the means to not be dependent on the government, or resist the government.

Buffalo, NY

#2897 Feb 17, 2013
<quoted text>
that is a 351 page document. I am sure seeing you cited it, that you could site page numbers and quotes from the document that match your claim. I particularlywould like you to show me where a UN policy paper is a binding document. Something all member state must obey. I would like to read the portion that places this non binding bit of stuff above US law

Buffalo, NY

#2898 Feb 17, 2013
<quoted text>
They plan to use the coming economic & social collapse, and the food and other shortages to follow, to force people into government camps and/or controlled population centers. This is one of the reasons why the government has been making things increasingly difficult for the small farmers and mom-&-pop businesses, and why they must disarm the majority of the people. They cannot allow people to have the means to not be dependent on the government, or resist the government.
Please show me where a UN policy paper outweighs US law. Where this is binding in any way at all.
Where it mentions these gov't camps that were all going to be resettled into.
\What has you all upset isn't a UN policy paper.
What has you upset is a novel written by Glen Beck.
We do all understand the meaning of the term 'novel'?
If the case was so strong and clear why did Beck feel obliged to put this in novel format...

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#2899 Feb 17, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
that is a 351 page document. I am sure seeing you cited it, that you could site page numbers and quotes from the document that match your claim. I particularlywould like you to show me where a UN policy paper is a binding document. Something all member state must obey. I would like to read the portion that places this non binding bit of stuff above US law
You are correct today but it is the future you need to worry about.

Our Congress is full of rich and very rich people who care little about the rights of the common man.

Buffalo, NY

#2900 Feb 17, 2013
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct today but it is the future you need to worry about.
Our Congress is full of rich and very rich people who care little about the rights of the common man.
Thank you
There is nothing in this document that matches up with Becks fiction.
Congress is full of very rich people, by the way, very rich people are overwhelming conservitive and Republican.
If this is about collectivization how do those rich, mainly republican power brokers benifit.
You are right the future is what we have to worry about.
If we spend the present pre occupied with fiction....

Buffalo, NY

#2901 Feb 17, 2013
<quoted text>
>"Estimates over the number of defensive gun uses vary wildly, depending on the study's population, criteria, time-period studied, and other factors. Higher end estimates by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz cite between 1 to 2.5 million DGUs in the United States each year.[1]:64-65[2][3] Low end estimates by Hemenway cite approximately 55,000-80,000 such uses each year.[4][5] Middle estimates have estimated approximately 1 million DGU incidents in the United States."<
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_gun_us...
Kleck and Gertz rely upon very heavily upon self reporting. It by it's non scientific nature it is certain to skew the numbers.
Hemenway uses actual reporting of incidents to law enforcement. The lowest verifiable number
interesting that you chose Klecks low end overestimate of 1,000,000 as "middle"
this would go on an assumption that un reported incidents out number reported incidents by almost 20 to 1.
Legitimate self defense happens every day, the intentional cooking up a set of numbers based upon faulty methods of harvesting data only serves to weaken the very legitimate case you are making

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Don't Tread On Me

#2902 Feb 17, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you
There is nothing in this document that matches up with Becks fiction.
Congress is full of very rich people, by the way, very rich people are overwhelming conservitive and Republican.
If this is about collectivization how do those rich, mainly republican power brokers benifit.
You are right the future is what we have to worry about.
If we spend the present pre occupied with fiction....
Not to fast , their are plenty of rich Democrats.

Just look for the ones in favor of gun control and it will lead to money.

Bloomberg might as well be a Democrat but he loves the fund raisers where the republicans count him as a centrist.
Tray

Oxford, MS

#2903 Feb 17, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
Kleck and Gertz rely upon very heavily upon self reporting. It by it's non scientific nature it is certain to skew the numbers.
Hemenway uses actual reporting of incidents to law enforcement. The lowest verifiable number
interesting that you chose Klecks low end overestimate of 1,000,000 as "middle"
this would go on an assumption that un reported incidents out number reported incidents by almost 20 to 1.
Legitimate self defense happens every day, the intentional cooking up a set of numbers based upon faulty methods of harvesting data only serves to weaken the very legitimate case you are making
The problem is numbers are only kept when the gun is fired and reported to police and they make a report. As any officer will tell you his gun saves his life all day every day. They will tell you criminals even many petty ones would not respect or comply with an officer if he were unarmed. Every cop that has ever patrolled will tell you on a daily bases many times the person or persons they had to deal with could have easily attacked and over powered them and it was a very real threat to every officer who must answer a domestic violence or robbery or bar or any robbery or assault call. These numbers are not counted but the same applies to citizens in everyday life but many are in higher risk groups like guards or small business owners or store clerks or those living in high crime neighborhoods. Many have brandished a gun to stop an attacker but don't report it because brandishing is illegal. The deterrent value alone can not be measured but rest assured it exists and without guns violent crime would climb. 2.5 million is a very conservative number.

Central NJ

#2904 Feb 17, 2013
Only a few of them were rich when they got there!
My president was elected by dead people!
Regards, Terri
<quoted text>You are correct today but it is the future you need to worry about.

Buffalo, NY

#2905 Feb 17, 2013
<quoted text>Not to fast , their are plenty of rich Democrats.
Just look for the ones in favor of gun control and it will lead to money.
Bloomberg might as well be a Democrat but he loves the fund raisers where the republicans count him as a centrist.
democrat or republican how do rich folks benifit from the collectivization that is prominately mentioned as a cautionary. Yes Bloomberg is a pragmatic Republican, but, serious is this agenda 51 novel really worth this much of a response. Seeing that there is absolutly nothing, zip, zero , nada that binds us to this wish list of SUGGESTIONS, aren't you sounding a bit like chicken little or Don Quixote De La Mancha? This fiction has to rank as very low on anyone's list of things to be conserned about.
I am a moderate Started GOP in '75 because Lefties were clogging the works up with theoretical Baldersquat, I left the GOP when right wingers were clogging up the works with theoretical baldersquat.
Conservitism has a lot of valid points. why do some folks insist upon obsuring the valid points they can make with un founded speculative non sense, it baffles me.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#2906 Feb 17, 2013
Bloomberg = RINO

Buffalo, NY

#2907 Feb 17, 2013
Tray wrote:
<quoted text> The problem is numbers are only kept when the gun is fired and reported to police and they make a report. As any officer will tell you his gun saves his life all day every day. They will tell you criminals even many petty ones would not respect or comply with an officer if he were unarmed. Every cop that has ever patrolled will tell you on a daily bases many times the person or persons they had to deal with could have easily attacked and over powered them and it was a very real threat to every officer who must answer a domestic violence or robbery or bar or any robbery or assault call. These numbers are not counted but the same applies to citizens in everyday life but many are in higher risk groups like guards or small business owners or store clerks or those living in high crime neighborhoods. Many have brandished a gun to stop an attacker but don't report it because brandishing is illegal. The deterrent value alone can not be measured but rest assured it exists and without guns violent crime would climb. 2.5 million is a very conservative number.
2.5 million is indeed a very conservative number.
A number only a very Conservative could embrace.
All word play a side I am not saying legitimate self defense doesn't exist. Even if we take the smaller number of 55,000 reported as an indisputable statistic, the fact is to have hundreds of events per day is a number that still is enough to make the point on legitimate self defense.
If the basic fact is on your side why would gun rights advocates allow an easily disputed number cloud the issue. To have to inflate that number into a number that is this overblown baffles me It tells us more about the state of mind of the far right than about the country.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min cathy1691823 1,382,224
News Trump ad hurls sexual-assault accusations again... 2 min YourEx 26
News Facebook will stop relying on news outlets to d... 3 min An NFL Fan 9
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 7 min An NFL Fan 233
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 min Igor Trip 197,183
News The Latest: Minister: Slayings of 8 rocked Ohio... 10 min Scioto 207
News Previously Deported Illegal Alien Charged with ... 12 min slick willie expl... 17
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 19 min NTRPRNR1 383,746
News Feds' transgender guidance provokes fierce back... 20 min An NFL Fan 772
News Government to stop using 'negro' and 'oriental' 38 min An NFL Fan 175
More from around the web