People do not need assault weapons: d...

People do not need assault weapons: defense secretary

There are 4995 comments on the Reuters story from Jan 17, 2013, titled People do not need assault weapons: defense secretary. In it, Reuters reports that:

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta joined the gun control debate on Thursday when he told troops at a military base in Italy that only soldiers needed armor-piercing bullets or assault weapons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#2272 Feb 7, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps we should put some effort into educating
Maybe you should try to get your GED first Dumphq?

Location hidden

#2273 Feb 7, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
Perhaps we should put some effort into educating them with the fact that the US ranks first in the world in gun ownership, and 28th in the world in gun violence.
PS:

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AH!

Colombia 83 51.77 10.97 62.74 Yes [30]
Guatemala 73 18.50 6.97 25.47 Yes [30]
Paraguay 61 7.35 4.70 12.05 Yes [37]
Zimbabwe 66 4.75 2.49 7.24 No [30]
Mexico 26 3.66 10.45 14.11 Yes [30]
Costa Rica[31] 51 3.38 3.19 6.57 No [30]
Belarus 33 3.31 6.82 10.13 No [29]
Barbados 40 3.00 4.49 7.49 No [28]
United States[31] 65 2.97 1.58 4.55 Yes [30]
Uruguay 55 2.52 2.09 4.61 Yes [45]
rider

Gwinn, MI

#2274 Feb 7, 2013
At the National Prayer Breakfast, President Obama meditated on the role of faith and humility in leadership. National Prayer Breakfast-------The Fellowship, also known as the Family,[1][2][3] is a U.S.-based religious and political organization founded in 1935 by Abraham Vereide. The stated purpose of the Fellowship is to provide a fellowship forum for decision makers to share in Bible studies, prayer meetings, worship experiences and to experience spiritual affirmation and support.[4][5]

The organization has been described as one of the most politically well-connected ministries in the United States. The Fellowship shuns publicity and its members share a vow of secrecy.[6] The Fellowship's leader Doug Coe and others have explained the organization's desire for secrecy by citing biblical admonitions against public displays of good works, insisting they would not be able to tackle diplomatically sensitive missions if they drew public attention.[6]

Although the organization is secretive, it holds one regular public event each year, the National Prayer Breakfast held in Washington, D.C. Every sitting United States president since President Dwight D. Eisenhower, up to President http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fellowship_ (Christian_organization)
EASY MONEY

Bangkok, Thailand

#2275 Feb 7, 2013
rider wrote:
At the National Prayer Breakfast, President Obama meditated on the role of faith and humility in leadership. National Prayer Breakfast-------The Fellowship, also known as the Family,[1][2][3] is a U.S.-based religious and political organization founded in 1935 by Abraham Vereide. The stated purpose of the Fellowship is to provide a fellowship forum for decision makers to share in Bible studies, prayer meetings, worship experiences and to experience spiritual affirmation and support.[4][5]
The organization has been described as one of the most politically well-connected ministries in the United States. The Fellowship shuns publicity and its members share a vow of secrecy.[6] The Fellowship's leader Doug Coe and others have explained the organization's desire for secrecy by citing biblical admonitions against public displays of good works, insisting they would not be able to tackle diplomatically sensitive missions if they drew public attention.[6]
Although the organization is secretive, it holds one regular public event each year, the National Prayer Breakfast held in Washington, D.C. Every sitting United States president since President Dwight D. Eisenhower, up to President http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fellowship_ (Christian_organization)
Besides talking, do they do anything of value for all Americans?
rider

Gwinn, MI

#2277 Feb 7, 2013
In 1976, the Fellowship began looking for a permanent headquarters in Arlington. It set its sights on the estate of George Mason IV, The Cedars, located at 2301 North Uhle Street. Mason was one of the drafters of the Bill of Rights. The Fellowship, also known as the International Foundation, bought the property from Charles Piluso. Although not much is known about Piluso, the Los Angeles Times reported that Howard Hughes, the man with whom Fellowship Senator Ralph Owen Brewster once sparred, also lived there. According to a senior Pentagon official, the Cedars had been used as a CIA safe house prior to the Fellowship’s purchase of the estate. The Fellowship paid $1.5 million for the Cedars, the money coming from Tom Phillips, the CEO of Raytheon, and Ken Olsen, the CEO of Digital Equipment Corporation. Sanford McDonnell of McDonnell Douglas Corporation was another deep-pocketed supporter of the Fellowship through Full Gospel Business Men’s Fellowship International, an activity linked to Fellowship core member Pat Robertson.
rider

Gwinn, MI

#2278 Feb 7, 2013
Rushdoony became a Presbyterian minister in California during the mid-1940s, the same time Vereide and Buchman were extending their influence in Washington and around the world. Rushdoony’s writings attacked the Unitarian religion and what he considered its contrivances, which included the United Nations. He was also an early proponent of home schooling (an important part of the Fellowship’s agenda) and a charter member of the secretive Council for National Policy (CNP)– a right-wing version of the Council on Foreign Relations whose first head was Christian Right leader Tim LaHaye, the one-time head of the Moon-funded Coalition for Religious Freedom whose advisory board members included such Christian Right luminaries as Don Wildmon, the pro-censorship head of the American Family Association; Pat Crouch, the founder of the Trinity Broadcast Network; and James Kennedy, the televangelist head of Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Another important CNP member was Baptist deacon and former Senator Jesse Helms (R-NC), who also championed right-wing fascist Latin American leaders favored and supported by the Fellowship. These included El Salvadorean death squad leaders Roberto d’Aubisson and General Carlos Eugenios Vides Casanova (now living in South Florida under the protection of Jeb Bush and the right-wing Cuban community), El Salvador’s right-wing President Alfredo Cristiani (in 1990, President George H. W. Bush reportedly held a special prayer with Cristiani and death squad leader d’Aubisson in a side room at the National Prayer Breakfast with Coe officiating), Honduran evangelical Christian death squad leader General Gustavo Alvarez Martinez, Chilean dictator General Augusto Pinochet, Brazilian dictator Artur da Costa e Silva, Guatemalan dictator and evangelist Efrain Rios Montt (in 2004, Montt’s daughter, Guatemalan Senator Zury Rios Sosa married Fellowship adherent Representative Jerry Weller (R-IL), Guatemala’s evangelist President Jorge Serrano Elias (his George W. Bush-like quote upon election in 1991:“We have won the election with the support of the people and God. I have no commitment to any political power base; my only commitment is to God, to whom I've committed myself to govern the best I can`...”); and Nicaraguan dictator Anastasio Somoza (also one of Coe’s friends). The Fellowship had been on very good terms with Panamanian dictator and drug runner Manuel Noriega who the first Bush ousted in a 1989 military invasion. Other CNP initiatives included supporting apartheid in South Africa (Jerry Falwell called South Africa’s Anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu a “phony” and Pat Robertson’s 700 Club provided a convenient propaganda outlet for South Africa’s apartheid regime) and opposing Corazon Aquino’s attempt to depose Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos. The looted gold bullion and gems from the deposed Philippine dictator’s coffers and other ill-gotten foreign funds would eventually be used to fatten the off-shore Bush bank accounts (artifices with various Bush family corporate code names – Five Star Companies, Lone Star Companies, Phoenix Group, Winston Partners, Cosmos Corporation, Hamilton Trust, InterFirst Bank, European Pacific Group, Mongoose Enterprises, Equity Trust, Interfax Gold Corporation, etc.) and serve as the source for the money used in the future to “fix” elections in favor of George W. Bush and his political allies.
rider

Gwinn, MI

#2279 Feb 7, 2013
THE COUNCIL FOR NATIONAL POLICY
http://watch.pair.com/cnp.html

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#2280 Feb 8, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes ... and the world laughs at our paranoid gun culture.
The more than 60 Million people murdered by their own governments in the 20th century would disagree with you.
Festus

Oaxaca, Mexico

#2281 Feb 8, 2013
Funny the libtard communists say we need a background check to buy a gun. But there is NO BACKGROUND CHECKL to be President! Duh uhhhhhh first things first. Before the Kenyan Messiah parading as POTUS unleashes more opf his left wing agenda and personal muslim inspired regulations upon the American citizenry doesnr someone think it would be appreopriate to sdee his supposed college scores etc etc. Maybe an interview with some school teachers would be a great place to start on this new enlightened skeet shooting gentleman who obviously has never owned or trained to use a firearm in his life. Can you spell LIAR and FRAUD?
Festus

Oaxaca, Mexico

#2282 Feb 8, 2013
Retarded is now known as a learning disorder.
Imhotep

Trenton, FL

#2283 Feb 8, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
The more than 60 Million people murdered by their own governments in the 20th century would disagree with you.
This is a poor argument. Religion has killed more people than governments, read your Bible for classic examples of genocide for God.

Having guns did not help innocent Japanese citizens in WWII. We jailed our own, not our Germans, nor Italians, but our own asian people.

What if every freed black was armed in 1865? What could have happened? Guns solve nothing.

Do you believe if every German citizen had been armed, this would have stopped Hitler? LOL

Dream on...bang bang!

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#2284 Feb 8, 2013
Facts are stubborn things, even when concealed! It's pretty much accepted that the Govt was wrong at Waco and Ruby ridge, but the Govt's story of Oklahoma City is pretty much accepted as fact. It wasn't! Tim McVeigh was being "Run" or "handled" by Andreas Strassmeir.(google) A.S. was a German National on loan to our intelligence services for insertion into Right Wing militias, which he did. "Andy The German" as he was called, was a member of the GSG 9 (Google)(Grund Schutz Gruppe neun 9) which was Germany's elite border guards. His father, Gunter Strassmeir held a post similar to Secretary of State in the German Govt. Andreas Strassmeir was John Doe #2, who was allowed to escape. He returned to Germany where he now lives.
Regarding the the explosion, ANFO just isn't that powerful! The truck wasn't close enough. The columns supporting the building were set up with there own charges with a barometric pressure fuse and when the truck charge went off, the pressure wave set off the charges at the columns. This was proven by A.F. Gen Ben Parton (Google). The whole thing was a setup by the Clinton administration.
My president was elected by dead people!
Regards, Terri

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Conroe, TX

#2285 Feb 8, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
Like it or not Mc viegh's crime was the reasult of the over reaction of a diseased mind.
Or are you claiming it to be the reasonable act of a lucid mind.
You never answered the literature question. Have you Read 'The Turner Diaries'
Your next post should compare Mein Kampf and The Turner Diaries
Also tell me what responsability both Hitler and Pierce have for the the murders that have occured be cause someone 'understood' these men
"Lucid" is a term applied subjectively. In my opinion, anyone who kills anyone else is not lucid. The reasons (not excuse) any person reaches the point where they are not lucid varies. Again, in my opinion, McVeigh reached this point due to emotions causing him to seek revenge, and in defense of his perception of an existing ideal he felt was unjustly being eliminated.
No. I never read the "Turner Diaries". I tend to read classic literature when I have to time to become absorbed into a work of literature. I will very seldomly read something from the modern era. This is why I am able to quote things like "Das Kapital" and "The Prince" and "First Republic" and so on, identifying things the Democrats are doing as repetitions of things identified as detrimental in literature centuries old.
I have to admit that I have never read "Mein Kampf" in its entirety.
Hitler would never have been able to do what he did if there wasn't a significantly large agreement (at least in principle, perhaps not in execution) with his ideology. He succeeded in his tyranny because of the general consensus that the head of state is the govenment, and not something like a Constitution.
This sounds eerily like the Democrats today, doesn't it?

“Constitutionalis t”

Conroe, TX

#2286 Feb 8, 2013
In a speech to House Democrats, Biden claimed,“It is clearly within the right of the government to determine what type of weapons can be owned by the public.”

Can anyone provide text from the Constitution that supports Biden's statement?

And, the public is the people. We have a government of the people and by the people, if you give any respect to Abraham Lincoln.
So, if you think we have a government of the people, then the government is subject to the same restrictions.

Actually, the Democrats don't like the concept of a government of the people. They are trying to force on the people a government of the ruling elite. Therefore, with disregard to the Constitution, they intend on instituting two different sets of rights: one set of rights for the people in the government, and a different set of rights for the lower classes not part of the ruling elite.

Again, can anyone provide text from the Constitution that supports Biden's statement?

“Constitutionalis t”

Conroe, TX

#2287 Feb 8, 2013
TerryE wrote:
Facts are stubborn things, even when concealed! It's pretty much accepted that the Govt was wrong at Waco and Ruby ridge, but the Govt's story of Oklahoma City is pretty much accepted as fact. It wasn't! Tim McVeigh was being "Run" or "handled" by Andreas Strassmeir.(google) A.S. was a German National on loan to our intelligence services for insertion into Right Wing militias, which he did. "Andy The German" as he was called, was a member of the GSG 9 (Google)(Grund Schutz Gruppe neun 9) which was Germany's elite border guards. His father, Gunter Strassmeir held a post similar to Secretary of State in the German Govt. Andreas Strassmeir was John Doe #2, who was allowed to escape. He returned to Germany where he now lives.
Regarding the the explosion, ANFO just isn't that powerful! The truck wasn't close enough. The columns supporting the building were set up with there own charges with a barometric pressure fuse and when the truck charge went off, the pressure wave set off the charges at the columns. This was proven by A.F. Gen Ben Parton (Google). The whole thing was a setup by the Clinton administration.
My president was elected by dead people!
Regards, Terri
There were many unexplained details about the OKC bombing.
One thing that has always stood out to me is the missing license plate on McVeigh's car that was the reason why he was stopped after the bombing. License plates don't just fall off. Somebody removed it. It has never been found.

au contraire

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#2288 Feb 8, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
When Obama needs them to enforce his unconstitutional government against those who believe in the Constitution, he may find they aren't very motivated.
They'll be as easy to find and the Nazis were.
I can see their "C" rations now, a tootsie roll and a pop tart.

au contraire

“Forever Is Promised To No One”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#2289 Feb 8, 2013
Festus wrote:
Retarded is now known as a learning disorder.
.......also liberalism.

Location hidden

#2290 Feb 8, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
In a speech to House Democrats, Biden claimed,“It is clearly within the right of the government to determine what type of weapons can be owned by the public.”

Can anyone provide text from the Constitution that supports Biden's statement?
I'd go to Supreme Court justices:

WASHINGTON -- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia said Sunday that there are "undoubtedly" limits to a person's right to bear arms under the Second Amendment, but that future court cases will have to decide where to draw the line.

+++

We have to remind you that you aren't not very smart, you are a liar, and that you lie when you move your lips.

Location hidden

#2291 Feb 8, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
We have a government of the people and by the people, if you give any respect to Abraham Lincoln.
-wiping tear from his eye-

Lincoln freed the slaves by executive order.

I am sure you will respect the president's authority should he pass laws that will protect the majority of Americans who are tired of the NRA special rights crowd who insist they need weapons capable of mass destruction.

“Constitutionalis t”

Conroe, TX

#2292 Feb 8, 2013
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>I can see their "C" rations now, a tootsie roll and a pop tart.
... and Colt 45 Malt Liquor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rebellious Democrats disrupt House, stage protest 2 min An NFL Fan 220
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Calvin_Coolish 228,365
News Donald Trump: Brexit is sign of independence de... 5 min Hostis Publicus 27
News Voters have trust issues with Hillary Clinton? ... (Jul '15) 5 min Mikey 6,580
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Rogue Scholar 05 216,427
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min TheMediaLies 1,394,398
News Oklahoma Lawmaker Shares Article Arguing Islam ... 10 min Mikey 84
News Boston Globe's front page: AR-15, 'Make It Stop' 20 min Retired SOF 373
News Hillary Clinton wavers on Second Amendment righ... 55 min WasteWater 975
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 58 min M Wilson 387,782
More from around the web