Gay marriage foes try again to revive California's Proposition 8

Jul 12, 2013 Read more: Whittier Daily News 85

Proposition 8 backers on Friday tried one last legal maneuver to revive California's gay marriage ban, asking the state Supreme Court to halt the same-sex nuptials taking place across the state since the U.S. Supreme Court appeared to doom the law in a ruling last month.

Read more
Repeat

Pioneer, CA

#70 Jul 13, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.....the CSSC has NO authority over the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals......and Judge Walker's ruling is in place that tossed Prop 8 as being UNCONSTITUTIONAL......and because the proponents didn't have standing to bring an appeal in the first place, that is the only reason their ruling was vacated!!!
I seriously doubt they will win on the broader issue of all 58 Counties......but then they will try!!!
Gays are stuck on stupid. The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals stated that the plaintiff's case was not broad and due to only two plaintiff's in two counties, why didn't the stupid attorneys and gays add more plaintiffs

Here is the standing issue. When Camel Hair the AG seeks to arrest and force counties to issue marriage licenses they will opposed based on Prop 8 and then a case will pursue and the AG will create the standing.
Repeat

Pioneer, CA

#71 Jul 13, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I would agree with you, but nevertheless the proponents of Prop 8 can not arbitrarily list the County Clerks as defendants when not all the Counties may have an issue......I'm certain there are a few, but this is overreaching as far as I'm concern......and Pugno is wrong to compare this to what then Mayor Gavin Newsome did back in 2004......Lt Governor Newsome HAD no authority to overstep his boundaries back then.......but the Governor and the AG do have the authority over the County Clerks throughout California!!!
I'm wondering on what authority the CSSC has to halt the issuing of Marriage Licenses at this point!!!
You sound so scared and you should be....You make a blind point, you see, the two gays in their counties can not list all gays as plaintiffs when not all gays may agree. You forget, the case was tossed due to standing and only two gays sought relief to marry and the fact that the case was tossed then the issue of unconstitutionality is still looming.

“"It's Only Your Opinion"”

Since: Nov 11

Hollywood California

#72 Jul 13, 2013
Repeat wrote:
<quoted text>Gays are stuck on stupid. The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals stated that the plaintiff's case was not broad and due to only two plaintiff's in two counties, why didn't the stupid attorneys and gays add more plaintiffs
Here is the standing issue. When Camel Hair the AG seeks to arrest and force counties to issue marriage licenses they will opposed based on Prop 8 and then a case will pursue and the AG will create the standing.
Sorry OH great clueless one but the bell has struck and the verdict is in! Prop 8 is in fact Unconstitutional and not a damn thing you can or anyone else can do to change that fact! California will never go back! Besides even if it ended up on a ballot again it would lose this time according to all the latest polls! But this will never happen either! It's over YOU lost! Now live with it! So sad,to bad for you!

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#73 Jul 13, 2013
Blue Moon In Your Eye wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry OH great clueless one but the bell has struck and the verdict is in! Prop 8 is in fact Unconstitutional and not a damn thing you can or anyone else can do to change that fact! California will never go back! Besides even if it ended up on a ballot again it would lose this time according to all the latest polls! But this will never happen either! It's over YOU lost! Now live with it! So sad,to bad for you!
I agree. The court ruled Prop 8 unconstitutional long ago. The law is therefore null, void, and of no effect..... to ANYONE, not just to the people who filed the case. I think their lawyer knows this and is "just following the clients' wishes" so he can suck as much money out of them as he can.(Which is god for us because it sucks time, money, people, and other resources from them, which could otherwise be used to make more mischief for us.)

“SCOTUS will Rule in June for”

Since: Aug 08

MARRIAGE EQUALITY:-)

#74 Jul 13, 2013
Repeat wrote:
Hey "Doc"........I see you are still clueless about this issue!!!

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#75 Jul 13, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
Yep and anything that the CSSC does now, will not look good for them and the proponents of Prop 8 think that because the CSSC gave them Article 2 standing in the State that the CSSC will make a ruling in their favor.....don't think that will happen!!!
By the way, have you heard any updates on this?
The fact that they didn't stop the issuance of licenses when this came in is a rather obvious indication of what their chances are. We can look on the bright side and hope this backfires on them horribly, the CSSC could rule that the amendment violated both the California and US Constitutions, a decision appealable only to the same Supremes who just told them they had no standing in this matter.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#76 Jul 13, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>The fact that they didn't stop the issuance of licenses when this came in is a rather obvious indication of what their chances are. We can look on the bright side and hope this backfires on them horribly, the CSSC could rule that the amendment violated both the California and US Constitutions, a decision appealable only to the same Supremes who just told them they had no standing in this matter.
Since SCOTUS ruled that these people have no standing (a ruling I agree with), then I do not see how any court in the land can accept any legal filings from these people regarding this case, because........ THEY HAVE NO STANDING !

And because of that, ALL of the courts should not have accepted any legal filings from them at all, since DAY ONE.

this one

#77 Jul 13, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
Since SCOTUS ruled that these people have no standing (a ruling I agree with), then I do not see how any court in the land can accept any legal filings from these people regarding this case, because........ THEY HAVE NO STANDING !
And because of that, ALL of the courts should not have accepted any legal filings from them at all, since DAY ONE.
On the contrary grasshopper, the Supremes rejected their standing on this issue in federal court, as a state court, the CSSC still has to live with its ruling in the Strauss case. They overturned the decision made by the 9th circuit granting standing, not California's.

Since: May 12

Canoga Park, CA

#78 Jul 13, 2013
Repeat wrote:
<quoted text>Gays are stuck on stupid. The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals stated that the plaintiff's case was not broad and due to only two plaintiff's in two counties, why didn't the stupid attorneys and gays add more plaintiffs
I don't know where you are getting this information from, but it sounds like propaganda to me. It's just flat out not true.

#79 Jul 13, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>The fact that they didn't stop the issuance of licenses when this came in is a rather obvious indication of what their chances are. We can look on the bright side and hope this backfires on them horribly, the CSSC could rule that the amendment violated both the California and US Constitutions, a decision appealable only to the same Supremes who just told them they had no standing in this matter.
I agree and like you said, they haven't actually issued an injunction to halt the issuance of marriage licenses......that right there should give the proponents some indication at this point!!!

this one

#80 Jul 13, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
I agree and like you said, they haven't actually issued an injunction to halt the issuance of marriage licenses......that right there should give the proponents some indication at this point!!!
Not getting the injunction was the sound of someone jiggling the handle before flushing.

#81 Jul 13, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Not getting the injunction was the sound of someone jiggling the handle before flushing.
That's to funny and even if the proponents should get an injunction on Monday(highly doubtful), it still won't invalidate the new thousands of legally married Same-Sex Couples......and if they get the injunction, my guess is they get it in the 56 counties and not in Alameda or LA Counties, which are two very large counties in California and I don't believe the 9 counties who voted NO on Prop 8 will adhere to the injunction as well!!!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#82 Jul 14, 2013
NSA stop tapping me wrote:
<quoted text>
do you have any evidence that I'm delusional.I'm perfectly fit.I could give you my biodata & meds history but not in the topix.
anyway, last but not least GOOOO Prop 8!
Yes. Imagining that Prop 8 is going anywhere now is highly delusional. That is irrefutable evidence.

this one

#83 Jul 14, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
That's to funny and even if the proponents should get an injunction on Monday(highly doubtful), it still won't invalidate the new thousands of legally married Same-Sex Couples......and if they get the injunction, my guess is they get it in the 56 counties and not in Alameda or LA Counties, which are two very large counties in California and I don't believe the 9 counties who voted NO on Prop 8 will adhere to the injunction as well!!!
They are going to get their day in court, as is their right and are going to be kicked to the curb, as is the court's power. All that's left to see is how hard they are going to be kicking them.

PS: I actually got a "Be polite" warning for this one. I'm posting it anyways.

#84 Jul 14, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>They are going to get their day in court, as is their right and are going to be k!cked to the curb, as is the court's power. All that's left to see is how hard they are going to be k!cking them.
You got the be polite because of the word "K!CK"......that's a forbidden word on topix......lol!!!

Yes, they will and they won't win here either!!!

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#85 Jul 14, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>They are going to get their day in court, as is their right and are going to be kicked to the curb, as is the court's power. All that's left to see is how hard they are going to be kicking them.
They DON'T have a "RIGHT" to be in court ! They HAVE NO STANDING, which is EXACTLY WHAT THAT MEANS ! SCOTUS already TOLD them they have NO RIGHT to be in court !

this one

#86 Jul 14, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
They DON'T have a "RIGHT" to be in court !
We all have such a right, dear, they even have a decision by the court they are now in front of saying they have it in this instance.
Europa Report wrote:
They HAVE NO STANDING, which is EXACTLY WHAT THAT MEANS ! SCOTUS already TOLD them they have NO RIGHT to be in court !
They have no standing in this matter in FEDERAL COURT, the SCOTUS overturned the 9th Circus grant of standing to appear before them in Perry, not the CSSC granting of it in Strauss. According to that one, the proponents still have a bone to pick here because they still have rights under the California Constitution, even though they are not recognized by the federal courts.

this one

#87 Jul 14, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
You got the be polite because of the word "K!CK"......that's a forbidden word on topix......lol!!!
Yes, they will and they won't win here either!!!
I just thought it funny that one would get me warned in comparison to some of the other comments I've posted recently.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#88 Jul 14, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>We all have such a right, dear, they even have a decision by the court they are now in front of saying they have it in this instance. <quoted text>They have no standing in this matter in FEDERAL COURT, the SCOTUS overturned the 9th Circus grant of standing to appear before them in Perry, not the CSSC granting of it in Strauss. According to that one, the proponents still have a bone to pick here because they still have rights under the California Constitution, even though they are not recognized by the federal courts.
They DON'T have standing ! It's like you or me, neither of whom live in cali, suing in their court. They have NO legal right to sue, in that court or any other court.

this one

#89 Jul 14, 2013
According to Perry, under the US Constitution they don't have standing on this matter in federal courts. According to Strauss, under the California Constitution they do have standing on this matter in state courts, it's why they are in state court.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min THE DEVIL 1,216,597
News U.S. corporations pressure two states accused o... 2 min NorCal Native 783
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min Chimney1 159,442
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 5 min Nine Ball 59,234
News Rand Paul makes it official on website he's run... 10 min Jake Bernard 185
News Confessions of a black atheist 11 min UruEuWauWau 305
News Panel to hear appeal on Obama immigration actions 16 min barefoot2626 37
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 33 min Tilliewiger 323,209
News Which presidential hopefuls would attend a gay ... 48 min Fa-Foxy 63
News Hillary Clinton has a new position on same-sex ... 1 hr Fa-Foxy 163