Why Obama Is Struggling to Paint Romney as a Wall Street Fat Cat

Jun 18, 2012 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.theatlantic.com

Americans have a dim view of the financial sector, but they're even more skeptical of the government the president heads.

Last week, Barack Obama's super PAC released its latest ad framing Mitt Romney as a de-industrial profiteer. A working man stands outside a vacant plant and says, "Romney and Bain Capital shut this place down. They shut down entire livelihoods."

Comments
1 - 20 of 58 Comments Last updated Jun 19, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 18, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

2

I wouldn't think would be difficult to paint Romney as a Wall Street fat cat. Geesh, the man has elevators for his cars. No walking downstairs to the garage for him.

If it smells like money and jingles like money....
Rob Birds

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

dr. Bill_mr! U liked Cat or Deere..;) hope U hav fun with Topix Class butt don't make the Topix student upset@U!!! hav a goooood mon-Day!;) McCafe"time4mi bibye c yee late the!!!!!!!don't Obamad with ya Tv n monitoring ;-000
Rob Birds

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

if yaa impolite T-bot no summer break in Topix class OK;-00 students:)
Robert

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Why Obama Is Struggling to Paint Romney as a Wall Street Fat Cat

How about Obama could say here is what I promised to achieve in 2008, here is what I achieved, here is what I plan to achieve if you give me another term, this is how I will do it, here is what Romney promises, here is why my idea is better, and here is why you should believe me when I tell you this.

He could say that but he has nothing to run on that people would believe so he goes back and drags up some guy working for a failing steel company which was purchased by Bain capital. Perhaps it would have gone under anyway because the union extracted too much in their negotiations the last time they went on strike. Perhaps Bain made mistakes, who knows and it is not what really matters.

Obama wants people arguing about why this steel company failed and is it the fault of Bain Capital rather than arguing about what he has accomplished.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Robert wrote:
Why Obama Is Struggling to Paint Romney as a Wall Street Fat Cat
How about Obama could say here is what I promised to achieve in 2008, here is what I achieved, here is what I plan to achieve if you give me another term, this is how I will do it, here is what Romney promises, here is why my idea is better, and here is why you should believe me when I tell you this.
He could say that but he has nothing to run on that people would believe so he goes back and drags up some guy working for a failing steel company which was purchased by Bain capital. Perhaps it would have gone under anyway because the union extracted too much in their negotiations the last time they went on strike. Perhaps Bain made mistakes, who knows and it is not what really matters.
Obama wants people arguing about why this steel company failed and is it the fault of Bain Capital rather than arguing about what he has accomplished.
You should understand a few things: Like, everyone who has a job connected with buildng GM automobiles has had his job saved by President Obama...like Mr Romney is NOT a Capitalist; he is a DE-CAPITALIST.

He buys, dismantles, sells off pieces, and moves the jobs overseas. Thuis is not my idea of "Experience" to bring about economic recovery. Gordon Gecco was no builder of dreams.
Responsibility

Burlingame, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Robert wrote:
He could say that but he has nothing to run on that people would believe so he goes back and drags up some guy working for a failing steel company
Guess bringing up solyndra, solyndra, solyndra by the rightwingers is just coincidence?
BlackGhettoThug

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 18, 2012
 
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
You should understand a few things: Like, everyone who has a job connected with buildng GM automobiles has had his job saved by President Obama...like Mr Romney is NOT a Capitalist; he is a DE-CAPITALIST.
He buys, dismantles, sells off pieces, and moves the jobs overseas. Thuis is not my idea of "Experience" to bring about economic recovery. Gordon Gecco was no builder of dreams.
Unless one was a screwed GM stockholder the increasingly ignorant American electorate probably failed to realize that what the marxist in chief obamanation did to GM, i.e. bailing out the autoworkers union, illegally ignored 200 years of bankruptsy law.

Since: Jul 07

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
You should understand a few things: Like, everyone who has a job connected with buildng GM automobiles has had his job saved by President Obama...like Mr Romney is NOT a Capitalist; he is a DE-CAPITALIST.
He buys, dismantles, sells off pieces, and moves the jobs overseas. Thuis is not my idea of "Experience" to bring about economic recovery. Gordon Gecco was no builder of dreams.
you should understand a few things: the dismantling of companies by private equity firms is rare. it happens when all measures to save a firm and make it profitable have failed.

secondly, your knight in white armor who "saved the auto industry" certainly doled out those funds in a political fashion:

"A bedrock principle of bankruptcy law is that creditors with similar claims priority receive equal treatment. Each creditor is entitled to an equal percentage of recovery.

But the administration gave the unsecured claims of the union's Voluntary Employment Beneficiary Association much higher priority that the claims of others.

When the automakers went under, GM owed the retiree benefits association $20.6 billion. Chrysler owed it $8 billion.

The United Auto Workers benefits association got an estimated $12.2 billion more than it would have received had it been treated like the other unsecured creditors.

"The administration also insulated the UAW from most of the sacrifices that unions usually make in bankruptcy - at taxpayer expense," the authors say.

Because of that, GM still has higher labor costs ($56 an hour) than any of its competitors (approximately $47 an hour).

"The Treasury expects the auto bailout to ultimately cost taxpayers $23 billion," Sherk and Zywicki said.

Charleston Daily Mail
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 18, 2012
 
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess bringing up solyndra, solyndra, solyndra by the rightwingers is just coincidence?
Huh?

Obama hailed Solyndra as an accomplishment.

Should 'bad' news be ignored, just to be "fair"?
Let Them Eat Cake

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 18, 2012
 
Romney is a Wall St Fat cat. Wall St has thrown their hat in the ring and declared Romney their candidate. Romney loves Wall St. Wall St loves Romney. He's one of them.

Romney will protect Wall St

Romney is indifferent to Main St. And has been for his entire life. In his own words, Romney loves "giving pink slips to American workers."

Romney spent 50 million dollars on his last run for the presidential office. That's more money than most American families will ever earn for many generations. 50 Million dollars is chump change to Mitt "Bain Capital" Romney. He's the kind of man that buys your place of employment,cuts wages,cuts the quality of output,and milks the company for all of its worth, and then sells the assets. Of course,he'll agree to give golden parachutes to the CEO's.....But the man enjoys giving pink slips to the workers. Especially to those that are elderly and have given decades of themselves to their respective companies. That doesn't matter to the man born with a gold spoon in his mouth.

Romney simply dismisses the majority of Americans. Heck,the country is at war and he wants his taxes lowered. He's paying a lower rate than most Americans earning much, much less than the pretty boy himself. That's not surprising. Mr "GQ" Romney spent his draft dodging years in France. Mitt "Pink Slips" Romney is not only a fat cat,but he's the FiFi candidate. He's a very dainty poodle. Perfectly coiffed hair. Manicured fingernails. Hollywood makeup. Italian shoes,A perfect Ken Doll. He's a closeted bi-sexual republican male's wet dream come true.

Mitt "Fi Fi" Romney is a phoney. As a multi-millionaire,I'm sure the taxpayers paid for all of his families medical and dental needs during his term as Governor. The Mitt 'Phu Phu" Romneys of the country believe the peons are here to do their bidding. They believe tax payer monies are rightfully theirs. And the military conflicts they develop overseas are not deserving of their own--or their children's ass on the front-line. They're too precious to put their ass on the line. That's what the peons are here for anyway!

Mitt "AMPAD" Romney couldn't care less about America. The man is a snake and he wants to use the office of the president to further his wealth,opportunities and to stroke his ego.

Mitt "Offshore Bank Accounts" Romney will liquidate America. That's what he does. That's what he wants to do. Anyone outside of Wall St willing to vote for him is not thinking straight at all.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 18, 2012
 
Let Them Eat Cake wrote:
Romney is a Wall St Fat cat. Wall St has thrown their hat in the ring and declared Romney their candidate. Romney loves Wall St. Wall St loves Romney. He's one of them.
Romney will protect Wall St
Romney is indifferent to Main St. And has been for his entire life. In his own words, Romney loves "giving pink slips to American workers."
Romney spent 50 million dollars on his last run for the presidential office. That's more money than most American families will ever earn for many generations. 50 Million dollars is chump change to Mitt "Bain Capital" Romney. He's the kind of man that buys your place of employment,cuts wages,cuts the quality of output,and milks the company for all of its worth, and then sells the assets. Of course,he'll agree to give golden parachutes to the CEO's.....But the man enjoys giving pink slips to the workers. Especially to those that are elderly and have given decades of themselves to their respective companies. That doesn't matter to the man born with a gold spoon in his mouth.
Romney simply dismisses the majority of Americans. Heck,the country is at war and he wants his taxes lowered. He's paying a lower rate than most Americans earning much, much less than the pretty boy himself. That's not surprising. Mr "GQ" Romney spent his draft dodging years in France. Mitt "Pink Slips" Romney is not only a fat cat,but he's the FiFi candidate. He's a very dainty poodle. Perfectly coiffed hair. Manicured fingernails. Hollywood makeup. Italian shoes,A perfect Ken Doll. He's a closeted bi-sexual republican male's wet dream come true.
Mitt "Fi Fi" Romney is a phoney. As a multi-millionaire,I'm sure the taxpayers paid for all of his families medical and dental needs during his term as Governor. The Mitt 'Phu Phu" Romneys of the country believe the peons are here to do their bidding. They believe tax payer monies are rightfully theirs. And the military conflicts they develop overseas are not deserving of their own--or their children's ass on the front-line. They're too precious to put their ass on the line. That's what the peons are here for anyway!
Mitt "AMPAD" Romney couldn't care less about America. The man is a snake and he wants to use the office of the president to further his wealth,opportunities and to stroke his ego.
Mitt "Offshore Bank Accounts" Romney will liquidate America. That's what he does. That's what he wants to do. Anyone outside of Wall St willing to vote for him is not thinking straight at all.
Loon.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 18, 2012
 
GoodNewz wrote:
<quoted text>
you should understand a few things: the dismantling of companies by private equity firms is rare. it happens when all measures to save a firm and make it profitable have failed.
secondly, your knight in white armor who "saved the auto industry" certainly doled out those funds in a political fashion:
"A bedrock principle of bankruptcy law is that creditors with similar claims priority receive equal treatment. Each creditor is entitled to an equal percentage of recovery.
But the administration gave the unsecured claims of the union's Voluntary Employment Beneficiary Association much higher priority that the claims of others.
When the automakers went under, GM owed the retiree benefits association $20.6 billion. Chrysler owed it $8 billion.
The United Auto Workers benefits association got an estimated $12.2 billion more than it would have received had it been treated like the other unsecured creditors.
"The administration also insulated the UAW from most of the sacrifices that unions usually make in bankruptcy - at taxpayer expense," the authors say.
Because of that, GM still has higher labor costs ($56 an hour) than any of its competitors (approximately $47 an hour).
"The Treasury expects the auto bailout to ultimately cost taxpayers $23 billion," Sherk and Zywicki said.
Charleston Daily Mail
WRONG.
WRONG
RIGHT
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
RIGHT.

Im sure you can do better. STOP GETTING YOUR NEWS FROM WHATEVER foxnews CLONE YOU PATRONIZE.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 18, 2012
 
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>

Im sure you can do better. STOP GETTING YOUR NEWS FROM WHATEVER foxnews CLONE YOU PATRONIZE.
LOL

Says the Topix editor getting "news" from The Atlantic, The New Yorker, NY Times, etcetera.
Let Them Eat Cake

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 18, 2012
 
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Loon.
Thanx. When you call me loon....I know I'm on the correct path.

; )

As president,Mitt will catch for Wall St!

“Baby Obama”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 18, 2012
 
Why is Obama struggling?

Because everything that comes out of his Marxist mouth is filthy LIE.

FUBO
Get Real

Chapel Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jun 18, 2012
 
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess bringing up solyndra, solyndra, solyndra by the rightwingers is just coincidence?
Did Romney use private funds or was it funded by the taxpayers. Was Solyndra private funds or did Obama use money funded by the taxpayers?

Since: Jul 07

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jun 18, 2012
 
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG.
WRONG
RIGHT
WRONG
WRONG
WRONG
RIGHT.
Im sure you can do better. STOP GETTING YOUR NEWS FROM WHATEVER foxnews CLONE YOU PATRONIZE.
interesting that you did not attempt to refute a single point. probably because you can't. simply calling people foxnews viewers is a lame argument. perhaps that's the best you can do...

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jun 18, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Space Cowboy wrote:
Why is Obama struggling?
Because everything that comes out of his Marxist mouth is filthy LIE.
FUBO
You dummies just don't get it.
What we really have to fear, the real enemy of freedom and prosperity, is CORPORATE SOCIALISM, that which was aboe to buy & sell the "leaders" of the tea-baggers.

The only Marxists left in this Century are the old leaders of the GOP Lying-neo-conservatives.

Obama is not youe enemy, he is a dull tool of your enemy; and Romney is a yet sharprt tool, a knife in your guts.
Robert

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jun 18, 2012
 
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
You should understand a few things: Like, everyone who has a job connected with buildng GM automobiles has had his job saved by President Obama...like Mr Romney is NOT a Capitalist; he is a DE-CAPITALIST.
He buys, dismantles, sells off pieces, and moves the jobs overseas. Thuis is not my idea of "Experience" to bring about economic recovery. Gordon Gecco was no builder of dreams.
You should understand things, not everyone who has a job connected with the building of GM automobiles had their job saved. And The claim that the U.S. government "saved" GM and Chrysler is wildly overblown. The firms would have continued to exist if they had gone through a standard bankruptcy process. GM still went bankrupt the only thing Obmama did was make for a faster bankruptcy process by avoiding the normal role of the courts and he altered who were the winners and loosers. The secured bondholders were screwed out of their share of the company, the retirees got a better deal and Chrysler is an Italian company. The old GM had 110,000 hourly workers, when they came out of bankruptcy they had 75,000 and a year later 50,000. They closed 13 assembly plants, 1/4 of their dealers, Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, they sold Saab, and number of their suppliers when out of business anyway.

GM was bleeding money and had become a retirement and financing company which happened to sell cars. They were destined for bankruptcy.

On the upside Obama can argue that at the taxpayers and civil justices expense he caused fewer jobs to be lost than would have otherwise been lost anyway.

As to Bain Capital Romney is not the sole owner and what about AMC Entertainment, Aspen Education Group, Brookstone, Burger King, Burlington Coat Factory, Clear Channel Communications, Domino's Pizza, DoubleClick, Dunkin' Donuts, D&M Holdings, Guitar Center, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), Sealy, The Sports Authority, Staples, Toys "R" Us, Warner Music Group and The Weather Channel

Those don't exactly fit into your description of what he does. And like I said he wants to talk about that not his record.

“Baby Obama”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jun 18, 2012
 
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
You dummies just don't get it.
What we really have to fear, the real enemy of freedom and prosperity, is CORPORATE SOCIALISM, that which was aboe to buy & sell the "leaders" of the tea-baggers.
The only Marxists left in this Century are the old leaders of the GOP Lying-neo-conservatives.
Obama is not youe enemy, he is a dull tool of your enemy; and Romney is a yet sharprt tool, a knife in your guts.
Whatever Commrade.

Obama is a domestic terrorist, who is pissing all over the Constitution and acting like some kind of tinpot Dictator.

You're just one of the ignorant, ignorant fools who still buys into the BS.

In November, you clowns are done.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••