PHILLIPS: The last days of the Republ...

PHILLIPS: The last days of the Republican Party

There are 2202 comments on the Washington Times story from Oct 12, 2013, titled PHILLIPS: The last days of the Republican Party. In it, Washington Times reports that:

The Republican Party saved the Union and abolished slavery. The Republican Party stood against Franklin Roosevelt's internment of Japanese Americans during World War II and against Jim Crow laws in the 50's.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Washington Times.

Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#1586 Nov 4, 2013
No American has earned their citizenship, you don't have to be a citizen to join the American military.

What would that make conscious objectors? Unqualified for Citizenship? That's not going to fly over, considering the many religious groups that left England and, or where banished to America and, in being loyal to their religious orders as American were excused from military duty in the campaigns against the Natives, and later in the Revolutionary War and every war after to include the recent conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Many of the founders and original authors and signers of the Declaration or Independence, and Constitution came from those long established religious orders and opened America's first universities and schools.

How do you exclude their descendants from Citizenship?

There is a lot about America you know nothing about.
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
The overwhelming majority of citizens haven't earned their citizenship; it was given to them (myself included) just for being lucky enough to be born on US soil. A small percentage of us have subsequently earned our citizenship through military service.
We will encourage our daughter to join the military after she graduates high school, but we obviously can't force her to do so. She already knows she is on her own financially after age 18, so any college or vocational training will entirely up to her. She has already started her own investments which she gains control of when she turns 18.
I'm contending the US would be much better off if citizenship were earned.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1588 Nov 4, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
The system of Government he's promoting dismantles Democracy and institutes Despotism where membership is distributed on some zany basis.
There's little doubt he is one of the many people on the right that wish to see Freedoms repealed, and individual Liberties confiscated in America. A certified anarchist who has no loyalty to America, it's principles and what America stands for in the world.
<quoted text>
Except of course that's completely inaccurate, as I've already explained.

You're a liberal who wants the govt to run your entire life from cradle to grave.

You seek a totalitarian dictatorship.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1589 Nov 4, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
Before America's Declaration of Independence there was never another Nation that attempted the concept of Citizens of a nation consenting to the ideas and practices of self Government. Common people had no voice in the direction of their lives and societies and the concept of Human rights was not adhered too.
Immigrants and exiles came to America to escape slavery in their home nations. They had no individual right, freedoms and liberties. Now option or hope of owning land or expressing freely their thoughts and ideas.
You probably should take a minute and read the American Declaration of Independence. That's the document that was distributed to the world in justifying America's revolt against the British for the British Colonies in America.
That's the mission statement for who and what we are as a Nation.
<quoted text>
All of which I agree with 100%.

That said, earned citizenship does not run counter to that.

If you disagree, then must oppose the earned citizenship of our current naturalization process. That would mean only those Americans who can trace their lineage directly to someone present in the colonies at the time of our independence would be citizens.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1590 Nov 4, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
No American has earned their citizenship, you don't have to be a citizen to join the American military.
What would that make conscious objectors? Unqualified for Citizenship? That's not going to fly over, considering the many religious groups that left England and, or where banished to America and, in being loyal to their religious orders as American were excused from military duty in the campaigns against the Natives, and later in the Revolutionary War and every war after to include the recent conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Many of the founders and original authors and signers of the Declaration or Independence, and Constitution came from those long established religious orders and opened America's first universities and schools.
How do you exclude their descendants from Citizenship?
There is a lot about America you know nothing about.
<quoted text>
Gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme,......

Did I leave anything out from the sheeple mantra?

Tawas City, Michigan

#1591 Nov 4, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
EVERY naturalized citizen literally had to earn their citizenship; there's even a test. A test which the overwhelming majority of birthright citizens couldn't pass if their life depended on it.

But of course you know I'm speaking figuratively as well.

The majority of Americans are simply given their citizenship because of where they were born; they did nothing to earn their citizenship before or after that EXTRAORDINARY achievement.

That's why most Americans have such a sense of entitlement; they were given the most important right of all on a silver platter.
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#1592 Nov 4, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>There are 21 new taxes in Obamamess, 17 affect the middle class......so tell us again how it doesn't affect us.
There is the Tanning Salon Tax, and any penalty for non-compliance.

List the other 16 you claim directly affects members in the American Middle Class. This is like the Republican on Fox claiming he has cut his 3 employees at his construction firm back to part time to skip on the mandate........ ROFLMAO

Listing 16 taxes shouldn't be to difficult for you..... where are they?
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#1593 Nov 4, 2013
American citizenship is passed through the parent, either the Father or Mother, and there is birthright Citizenship for anyone born in America. That's how most all of us who are citizens obtained our citizenship.

Immigrants have to take a citizenship test. As you say most Americans couldn't pass that test, but most of you railing about Citizenship have no knowledge of America and our pass so it evens out.
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
EVERY naturalized citizen literally had to earn their citizenship; there's even a test. A test which the overwhelming majority of birthright citizens couldn't pass if their life depended on it.
The majority of Americans are simply given their citizenship because of where they were born; they did nothing to earn their citizenship before or after that EXTRAORDINARY achievement.
That's why most Americans have such a sense of entitlement; they were given the most important right of all on a silver platter.

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#1594 Nov 4, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it would pass Congress or be ratified by the states.
The sheeple are WAY too fat, lazy, and entitled for that to ever happen.
I was simply explaining my position.
I know. Your teabag troglodyte position. HYP-O-CRITE.
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#1595 Nov 4, 2013
None of this is relevant since it's a constitutional mandate that citizenship is a birthright and passes through the parent for a child born any place in the world.

It's impossible to require some measure to obtain citizenship given the Founding documents, Constitution, the historical perspectives and acts of Congress.

Citizenship exclusions have been tried and defeated throughout America's history and the Constitution has remained strong as we continue the pursuit of a more perfect union.
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
All of which I agree with 100%.
That said, earned citizenship does not run counter to that.
If you disagree, then must oppose the earned citizenship of our current naturalization process. That would mean only those Americans who can trace their lineage directly to someone present in the colonies at the time of our independence would be citizens.

Hypoluxo Fl

#1596 Nov 4, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. That section was enacted specifically to address the legacy of slavery.
But to be clear, I don't advocate going back to a system of Jus sanguinis where blood lines grant citizenship automatically either.
EVERYONE should have to earn their citizenship.
Where are you going to put all the people that are born here and then have to 'Earn" their citizenship? How do you "earn" what you were born into? HYP-O-CRITE government leach.

Hypoluxo Fl

#1597 Nov 4, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
None that I'm aware of, but before the US Constitution was ratified there wasn't another country in the world where the PEOPLE granted rights to the GOVT.
That said, earned citizenship is hardly a novel concept. Most nations- including the US- have ways for non-citizens to become citizens; essentially earning your citizenship.
I envision a 2-tier citizenship system where those born in the US are entitled to all the basic rights citizens currently enjoy under the bill of rights, with the exception of owning a gun, voting, and holding political office. To be eligible to own a gun, vote, or hold political office, a conditional citizen would have to earn full citizenship. In addition, certain taxpayer provided benefits (i.e. social security, medicare, welfare, etc) could be reserved for full citizens.
To earn full citizenship, a person would have to complete 2 years of military service at either the federal or state level.
So what you really want is to re-instate the draft. However, if we did this, all your teabag butt buddy Shunshine Patriots would never have been or could be citizens. You'd be all alone in your self centered narcissistic world. HYP-O-CRITE.

Hypoluxo Fl

#1598 Nov 4, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
The overwhelming majority of citizens haven't earned their citizenship; it was given to them (myself included) just for being lucky enough to be born on US soil. A small percentage of us have subsequently earned our citizenship through military service.
We will encourage our daughter to join the military after she graduates high school, but we obviously can't force her to do so. She already knows she is on her own financially after age 18, so any college or vocational training will entirely up to her. She has already started her own investments which she gains control of when she turns 18.
I'm contending the US would be much better off if citizenship were earned.
Where did you get the idea that military service is necessary to be a citizen? Are you going to ship your daughter to Somalia if she doesn't join the Marines? People like you should be force fed contraceptives.

Hypoluxo Fl

#1599 Nov 4, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme,......
Did I leave anything out from the sheeple mantra?
Yes, all the government shit you vcollect that you rail about if someone else does what you do. HYP-O-CRITE.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1600 Nov 4, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
American citizenship is passed through the parent, either the Father or Mother, and there is birthright Citizenship for anyone born in America. That's how most all of us who are citizens obtained our citizenship.
Immigrants have to take a citizenship test. As you say most Americans couldn't pass that test, but most of you railing about Citizenship have no knowledge of America and our pass so it evens out.
<quoted text>
DUH.

Like I said, the overwhelming majority of Americans got their citizenship by completing the extraordinary achievement of coming out of their mother's vagina on US soil.

Obviously that is the system which I support changing.

Hypoluxo Fl

#1601 Nov 4, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and don't forget your government platter full of pensions. HYP-O-CRITE.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1602 Nov 4, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
None of this is relevant since it's a constitutional mandate that citizenship is a birthright and passes through the parent for a child born any place in the world.
It's impossible to require some measure to obtain citizenship given the Founding documents, Constitution, the historical perspectives and acts of Congress.
Citizenship exclusions have been tried and defeated throughout America's history and the Constitution has remained strong as we continue the pursuit of a more perfect union.
<quoted text>
And one way to make it a more perfect union would be to amend the constitution removing birthright citizenship.

Though the anti-illegal immigration Republicans support repealing the 14th amendment for different reasons, I'd support them on that just to get at least part of the birthright citizenship removed.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1603 Nov 4, 2013
Mykro wrote:
<quoted text>Where are you going to put all the people that are born here and then have to 'Earn" their citizenship? How do you "earn" what you were born into? HYP-O-CRITE government leach.
Why would they have to be put anywhere other than where they currently are?

We don't have a system of royalty nor serfdom/slavery; we shouldn't be "born into" anything.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1604 Nov 4, 2013
Mykro wrote:
<quoted text>So what you really want is to re-instate the draft. However, if we did this, all your teabag butt buddy Shunshine Patriots would never have been or could be citizens. You'd be all alone in your self centered narcissistic world. HYP-O-CRITE.
Where did I say I want to reinstitute the draft?

Oh that's right, I DIDN'T.

It would be ENTIRELY up to the individual if they want to pursue full citizenship, or keep their sheeple citizenship.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1605 Nov 4, 2013
Mykro wrote:
<quoted text>Where did you get the idea that military service is necessary to be a citizen? Are you going to ship your daughter to Somalia if she doesn't join the Marines? People like you should be force fed contraceptives.
Where did I say military service is currently necessary to be a citizen?

Oh that's right, I DIDN'T.

I said military service SHOULD be a requirement for full citizenship.

I said people SHOULD have to earn their citizenship.

Why don't you try reading what I ACUTALLY wrote, instead of what you WANTED me to write.

Tawas City, Michigan

#1606 Nov 4, 2013
Mykro wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, and don't forget your government platter full of pensions. HYP-O-CRITE.
All taxpayer funded pensions should be eliminated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump to halt subsidies to health insurers 3 min Retribution 330
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Joy 1,620,061
__POPE OUTED --- Shockwaves from Rome__ 3 min Oct 2017 1
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 3 min Agents of Corruption 13,002
News At Mississippi school: Goodbye, Confederacy. He... 6 min KIR SUCKA 24
News Mexico Says Texas Immigration Crackdown Is Crea... 12 min HOLLA ISABELLA 2
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 15 min Worth Repeating 37,018
News White House will override Obama's climate plan 45 min Bill Dunning 306
News Barack Obama 55 min anonymous 48
More from around the web