Shooting victims join NYC Mayor Bloom...

Shooting victims join NYC Mayor Bloomberg, call for tougher gun laws

There are 49 comments on the Bangor Daily News story from Dec 17, 2012, titled Shooting victims join NYC Mayor Bloomberg, call for tougher gun laws. In it, Bangor Daily News reports that:

Flanked by dozens of shooting survivors and relatives of victims of gunfire around the country, Mayor Michael Bloomberg pressed Congress and President Barack Obama on Monday to toughen gun laws and tighten enforcement after the Connecticut school massacre that left 20 children among the dead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bangor Daily News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
dr pepper

Hanoi, Vietnam

#1 Dec 17, 2012
how dare U pt yo finger @!;-000
frank

Malbork, Poland

#2 Dec 17, 2012
Wow - its incredible - I dont know its possible to make it - please look
http://imgdino.com/viewer.php...
Peace On Earth

Oscoda, MI

#3 Dec 17, 2012
Well, the assault weapons ban is a major start. Secondly, how about that loophole at the gun shows? If somebody wants to buy a weapon to do someone harm, those gun shows are the first place they'll go. How about the reality, that, anyone wanting to purchase an assault weapon is a RED FLAG. Why would anybody want a weapon of that sort in their home? Those weapons are for law enforcement, Special Ops, SWAT teams, drug gangs, etc. Not for suburban or civilian home use.

Since: Nov 11

Salt Lake City, UT

#5 Dec 18, 2012
Peace On Earth wrote:
Well, the assault weapons ban is a major start. Secondly, how about that loophole at the gun shows? If somebody wants to buy a weapon to do someone harm, those gun shows are the first place they'll go. How about the reality, that, anyone wanting to purchase an assault weapon is a RED FLAG. Why would anybody want a weapon of that sort in their home? Those weapons are for law enforcement, Special Ops, SWAT teams, drug gangs, etc. Not for suburban or civilian home use.
How much good did the last assault weapon ban do for the students at Columbine? Bans are not the answer, never have been, never will be. A big problem is everything that gets rolled into the "banned" list. People use these weapons for more than suburban and civilian home use.

Secondly, private sales at gun shows are no different that private sales anywhere else. The true gun dealers do the background checks even at gun shows. If you want to do anything make private sales go through people who have a FFL.

There is a law on Connecticut's books that prohibit firearms on school grounds - didn't help. There is already laws in Connecticut prohibiting murder, attempted murder, trespassing, et al and not of these stopped the loon. More laws won't help.

Emperor Bloomberg is simply piling on with other politicians who never let a tragedy go to waste. They should be ashamed of themselves for grand standing before the victims are even buried.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#6 Dec 18, 2012
The tool is a small part of the problem. We need to start locating these crazy people who would murder children. If we can't deal with who is doing it, how they are doing it is immaterial.

Since: Jan 12

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

#7 Dec 18, 2012
RustyS wrote:
The tool is a small part of the problem. We need to start locating these crazy people who would murder children. If we can't deal with who is doing it, how they are doing it is immaterial.
Crazy people are only dangerous when they got ahold of deadly weapons like say guns. A crazy person without a gun is like a wolf without it's teeth.
Robert

Douglasville, GA

#8 Dec 18, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Crazy people are only dangerous when they got ahold of deadly weapons like say guns. A crazy person without a gun is like a wolf without it's teeth.
Maybe the gun control crowd should take some of the money they spend on lobbying congress and spend it on public service ads urging people to secure their guns.

Since: Nov 11

Salt Lake City, UT

#9 Dec 18, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Crazy people are only dangerous when they got ahold of deadly weapons like say guns. A crazy person without a gun is like a wolf without it's teeth.
Wolf without teeth you say?

"Worst School Massacre in US history: Bath, Michigan School Massacre. 1927. Murder accomplished with explosives. 44 victims (equal to the Columbine and Virginia Tech massacres combined).

Worst Domestic Terrorist Attack in US History: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building bombing. 4/19/95. Murder accomplished with a rental truck full of fertilizer based explosives. 168 dead (including many children in an onsite day care).

Worst Foreign based Terrorist Attack in US History: September 11, 2001 attacks on NYC, PA, Pentagon. Murder accomplished with box cutters and commerical airliners.~3,000 people dead.
Non-Gun Mass Murders (worldwide):

By no means is this a complete list. I have focused on 2008, and NOT included the majority of terrorist attacks in recent times, most of which involve car bombs (London), attaché bombs on trains (Madrid), the Sarin gas attack in Tokyo, etc.(and in fact almost all modern terrorist attacks are done without guns for the reasons of efficiency stated above).

Arson, Stabbing Rampage in Seoul South Korea : 10/20/2008. 6 people dead, 5 from stabbing. 7 others wounded, 4 seriously. An angry man felt people “looked down on him.”

Anti-police stabbing spree in Shanghai, China: 7/2008. 6 Police Officers stabbed to death, 4 wounded. 28 year old man angry at police attacked a police station with a knife.

Akihabara Massacre, Chiyoda City, Tokyo, Japan: 6/8/2008. 7 people killed (3 struck by car, 4 by stabbing), many more injured. Man slammed into a crowd with his car, then jumped out and began stabbing people to death.

18 year old slashes 4 to death in Sitka, Alaska, US: 3/25/2008. 4 people killed. 18 year old (old enough to purchase a rifle over the counter) kills 4 people, related to him, with a 5 inch knife.

Stabbing Spree kills 2, Tsuchiura, Japan: 3/23/2008. 2 killed, 7 wounded. Man “just wanted to kill anyone.”

Stabbing spree wounds 41, 6 seriously in Berlin Train Station: 5/26/2006. 41 wounded, 6 seriously. Thankfully no one died in this attack, but not for lack of trying on the part of the drunk 16 year old.

4 killed in stabbing spree in London, UK: 9/2004. 4 killed, 2 wounded. Mentally ill man attacks mostly older people.

6 killed over Xbox dispute in Deltona, Florida, US: 8/6/2004. 6 killed. 4 men (all old enough to legally purchase firearms) bludgeon 6 people to death with baseball bats over purloined Xbox.

Daegu subway fire, Daegu, South Korea: 2/18/2003. 198 killed, 147 injured. A 56 year old unemployed taxi driver, dissatisfied with his medical treatment, sets fire to a crowded train.

Osaka School Massacre, Osaka Japan: 6/8/2001. 8 children dead, 13 other children and 2 teachers wounded. Committed by 37 year old former janitor armed with a kitchen knife."

Just Google/Bing/search engine of your choice "mass murder without guns" and you can broaden your horizon.

Killings with firearms get all of the media blitz but how often does the "main stream" carry stories about armed citizens protecting themselves (and others) with their firearms? You won't because it doesn't fit the agenda.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#10 Dec 18, 2012
Wat the Tyler wrote:
<quoted text>
Crazy people are only dangerous when they got ahold of deadly weapons like say guns. A crazy person without a gun is like a wolf without it's teeth.
History would disagree. What about the propane bombs at Columbine, Ted Kaczynski, McVeigh and Nichols. Suicide bombers are the new waive across the world. We look for terrorists, why not seek out people like McVeigh? Taking away a tooth or two will not work. If we are serious about stopping these murders, we need to stop the murderer. Mandatory annual psych testing, all counseling records open to the ATF. If not a ban on weapons is only a temporary feel good plan. How serious are we?
just another guy

United States

#11 Dec 18, 2012
RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
History would disagree. What about the propane bombs at Columbine, Ted Kaczynski, McVeigh and Nichols. Suicide bombers are the new waive across the world. We look for terrorists, why not seek out people like McVeigh? Taking away a tooth or two will not work. If we are serious about stopping these murders, we need to stop the murderer. Mandatory annual psych testing, all counseling records open to the ATF. If not a ban on weapons is only a temporary feel good plan. How serious are we?
It seems you are serious about wanting to live in a police state.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#12 Dec 18, 2012
does this man EVER shut up?

he's making chuckie schumer look like a shrinking violet!
Peace On Earth

Oscoda, MI

#13 Dec 18, 2012
One note I've been thinking about that nobody has touched upon. Could Adam Lanza have been a victim of child molestation? Now, to the gun-toters, regarding if the teachers had weapons. Reaction time is key. In the short mega second those teachers had to process what was happening, trying to reach for their gun, readying it, the shooter would've gotten to them first, regardless. He has the element of surprise on his side. He also came with body armor. If they did take their guns and aim for the chest area (most do, they aim for the largest target), there bullets would be of no use. They'd have to know in a split second, their only shot, where to hit. Once they waste their shot, realize it's no good, he has the firepower to take them. Nah, he came ready for a battle.

Since: Nov 11

Salt Lake City, UT

#14 Dec 18, 2012
Peace On Earth wrote:
One note I've been thinking about that nobody has touched upon. Could Adam Lanza have been a victim of child molestation? Now, to the gun-toters, regarding if the teachers had weapons. Reaction time is key. In the short mega second those teachers had to process what was happening, trying to reach for their gun, readying it, the shooter would've gotten to them first, regardless. He has the element of surprise on his side. He also came with body armor. If they did take their guns and aim for the chest area (most do, they aim for the largest target), there bullets would be of no use. They'd have to know in a split second, their only shot, where to hit. Once they waste their shot, realize it's no good, he has the firepower to take them. Nah, he came ready for a battle.
Do you think you won't drop like a dirty shirt if you are hit in the chest while wearing body armor. A chest shot will normally take the wind right out of the person being hit. They are alive but takes a few seconds to recover. Plenty of time to take care of business.

The principal had time to charge the shooter so probably enough time to shoot. A single shooter against one defender has a chance, a single shooter against several defenders not so much.

We do know there were many victims with the staff not being armed. We'll never know what would have happened if they had been armed (and trained).
Peace On Earth

Oscoda, MI

#15 Dec 18, 2012
duzitreallymatter wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think you won't drop like a dirty shirt if you are hit in the chest while wearing body armor. A chest shot will normally take the wind right out of the person being hit. They are alive but takes a few seconds to recover. Plenty of time to take care of business.
The principal had time to charge the shooter so probably enough time to shoot. A single shooter against one defender has a chance, a single shooter against several defenders not so much.
We do know there were many victims with the staff not being armed. We'll never know what would have happened if they had been armed (and trained).
I think you're going to have a problem regarding the crossfire and children. In a situation like that one, SHES, reactionary time is everything. Anybody that still wants to tote the mentality of assault weapons, is insane. You, the NRA, the GOP, don't care about life, you care about promoting an agenda. Your idea of Christianity, is Jesus's Sermon On The Mount, with 4 AK47s strapped on his back. Don't recall Jesus promoting that agenda. We're tired of your FALSE religion mantra, also.
Peace On Earth

Oscoda, MI

#16 Dec 18, 2012
I just want to reiterate the child molestation comment, regarding Adam Lanza. Victims of child molestation often exhibit being extremely introverted. Does anybody know if that might play into his "issues" and anger? I found it kind of odd that his mother left him alone with a male babysitter. Not suggesting anything, just found that kind of odd, as opposed to female babysitters. I reiterate, not suggesting anything to anybody's character.
Robert

Douglasville, GA

#17 Dec 18, 2012
duzitreallymatter wrote:
<quoted text>We'll never know what would have happened if they had been armed (and trained).
We can make a good guess based on what has happened in other active shooter incidents (it has worked to stop the shooter) if you try to interrupt a bank robbery with a gun there is a good chance you will be shot by the robber. But if you interrupt a active shooter like this one with a gun there is a good chance he will shoot himself. Such are our observations in the past. Even if you are not successful it is your job to protect the children and if you don't stop him you will at least slow him down and save lives.

Since: Nov 11

Salt Lake City, UT

#18 Dec 18, 2012
Peace On Earth wrote:
<quoted text>I think you're going to have a problem regarding the crossfire and children. In a situation like that one, SHES, reactionary time is everything. Anybody that still wants to tote the mentality of assault weapons, is insane. You, the NRA, the GOP, don't care about life, you care about promoting an agenda. Your idea of Christianity, is Jesus's Sermon On The Mount, with 4 AK47s strapped on his back. Don't recall Jesus promoting that agenda. We're tired of your FALSE religion mantra, also.
You still haven't addressed my statement. What religion mantra????? How do you know what my idea of Christianity is? Just because I don't agree with you, now you can analyze me? Man you are a legend in your own mind!

We weren't there, but know for a fact her NOT being armed didn't help. If a person has time to react to the sound and then charge a shooter they have time to get off a shot. Tote assault weapons mentality??? There are people that think anything that can fire more than one shot without reloading is an assault weapon.

The GOP, NRA & I all care about life. That is why we all are proponents of protecting ourselves. Now let's adress agendas. The NRA is the one group of lobbyists who haven't jumped on the tragedy/agenda bandwagon, unlike Bloomberg, Feinstein, Moore, et al. I am not an NRA member but respect them for this.

The GOP is largely anti-abortion. If you want to truly do something "for the children" ban abortion.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#19 Dec 18, 2012
Peace On Earth wrote:
I just want to reiterate the child molestation comment, regarding Adam Lanza. Victims of child molestation often exhibit being extremely introverted. Does anybody know if that might play into his "issues" and anger? I found it kind of odd that his mother left him alone with a male babysitter. Not suggesting anything, just found that kind of odd, as opposed to female babysitters. I reiterate, not suggesting anything to anybody's character.
The other bane of modern society, "pop-psychology".
Everyone is a victim.
radiofreeamerica

Tarpon Springs, FL

#21 Dec 18, 2012
Oh yeah,the bad guys are really going to care about gun control laws.
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#22 Dec 18, 2012
The great, roaring refrain is now, "Bans don't work." Oh? So ... uh, help me out here, why are conservatives so *GUNG-HO* about ... ya know, those pesky things known as "drug bans"? Making those drugs illegal ... ya know, ISN'T working. And yet those conservatives continue to this minute of this day to support BANS on drugs such as marijuana, funny how that works, their own philosophy *is shown to be factually true* because we know for a fact that those bans ...

... ya know, have never worked, and never will.

I do think it's high time that people get a goddamn backbone and stand behind their logic; if bans don't work in certain instances where we can *see* they don't work, stop pretending you have anything to "stand for" when you propose them for one "dangerous thing" and not another. Period.

Christ. Don't tell me these are intelligent people proposing that bans won't do any good; they're jamming their feet so far down their own throats I'm surprised I don't hear them choking on their own vomit from here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Americans' confidence in economy at 2016 low 3 min Mite Be 11
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 3 min southern at heart 379
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min MIDutch 195,176
News Trump pressed on 'woman card,' foreign policy 5 min kuda 4
News Undocumented immigrants have prosperous careers 6 min spud 39
News North Carolina's rush to bigotry 8 min An NFL Fan 1,559
News Today in history: 'Houston, we've got a problem' 9 min Three Days 1
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 14 min HILLARY 2016 222,505
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 36 min flack 1,374,426
News Assault weapon bans should stand 1 hr southern at heart 742
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 5 hr Quirky 380,915
More from around the web