Ted Cruz faux filibuster goes on as S...

Ted Cruz faux filibuster goes on as Senate readies spending bill vote

There are 623 comments on the CBS News story from Sep 25, 2013, titled Ted Cruz faux filibuster goes on as Senate readies spending bill vote. In it, CBS News reports that:

Congress continued its steady march toward a possible government shutdown Tuesday with another round of posturing, but little action to keep the government running past next Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

Chicopee

New Fairfield, CT

#125 Sep 25, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
Yea, but the Growing Number amounts to 33%, Growing to maybe 34% but still not enough to overtake the 59% of the American Population that want the ACA enacted.
The Republicans and their supporters have been taken for a ride to no where by a slick talking Canadian who represents Texas in the Senate.
The entire episode was a fund raising scheme to drain the pockets of the politically ignorant in the republican base. There was never any hope of a down vote and even Cruz voted yes in ending the debate and moving the funding bill forward.
<quoted text>
Where on earth did you get your polling data?

Before you quote polls, you might want to research them to see what questions were asked. Your 59% number, for example, probably came from a poll asking approval concerning government shutdown as a result of defunding.

Pew/USA Today, Sept 16

Do you approve, strongly approve, disapprove or strongly disapprove of the ACA

53% disapprove (41% strongly disapprove)
42% approve (26% strongly approve)
5% unsure

(19% of the under 26 yrs polled didn't know that they would be forced to carry insurance (mandate)

CNN Sept 2013

39% support, down from June

The ACA has never had majority approval with the public.
Chicopee

New Fairfield, CT

#126 Sep 26, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
Yea, but the Growing Number amounts to 33%, Growing to maybe 34% but still not enough to overtake the 59% of the American Population that want the ACA enacted.
The Republicans and their supporters have been taken for a ride to no where by a slick talking Canadian who represents Texas in the Senate.
The entire episode was a fund raising scheme to drain the pockets of the politically ignorant in the republican base. There was never any hope of a down vote and even Cruz voted yes in ending the debate and moving the funding bill forward.
<quoted text>
Wow. The senate voted 100-0 to move the bill forward without defunding it. Is anyone surprised? No funding bill equals government shutdown.

Defunding the whole of the bill because of ACA defunding provisions, which are only part of the bill, is what Harry Reid promised would happen if the bill still contains ACA de-funding provisions by the time it goes to the final vote in the senate.

This was not the final vote, nor was it a cloture vote. This is no surprise and doesn't conflict with Cruz's faux filibuster. So why is everyone acting like it is?
Fire the GOP

San Jose, CA

#127 Sep 26, 2013
Chicopee wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. The senate voted 100-0 to move the bill forward without defunding it. Is anyone surprised? No funding bill equals government shutdown.
Defunding the whole of the bill because of ACA defunding provisions, which are only part of the bill, is what Harry Reid promised would happen if the bill still contains ACA de-funding provisions by the time it goes to the final vote in the senate.
This was not the final vote, nor was it a cloture vote. This is no surprise and doesn't conflict with Cruz's faux filibuster. So why is everyone acting like it is?
You're funny. Trying to rationalize Cruz selling you out.

99-1 would have still passed the bill.

98-2 would have still passed the bill.

But the vote was 100-0. Cruz and Paul sold you guys out. They essentially spat on you an told you you were beautiful.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#128 Sep 26, 2013
TonyT1961 wrote:
Too funny - Cruz wastes 21 hours trying to stop Obamacare, then votes for it???
Are all of u people supporting Cruz this f'in stupid?
It's kinda like an Autumn ritual, the colorful leaves, fresh cider and.....watching to see, just how many the mutant GOP can fit in their CLOWN CAR.......
conservative crapola

Bethlehem, PA

#129 Sep 26, 2013
During his childish rant, canadian rafael cruz compared Republicans who are not standing with him to 'appeasers who allowed Hitler to march through Europe.'

Statements like this and his public affectation for jessie helms, assures him a place in history's poltical dust bin.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#130 Sep 26, 2013
I'm actually surprised that Mitch McConnell, Darrel Issa, John McCain and Lindsey Grahm would allow this much TV camera coverage, of anyone else....lol....

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Suffolk, VA

#131 Sep 26, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
Senator Cruz should have read the 4,700 page Obama care bill. That would have given us some idea what the Democrats have done. Not one Republican voted for Obama care, so when you get screwed with the new rules, remember who gave you this mess. You will pay double, and triple premiums, and with your new part time job it will be tough. But hey, keep voting Democrat, and we can all be on the dole. Then who will pay for our free ride?
That's what I was thinking. Perhaps even focusing on the exemption portions. And especially the hidden gems in there like the education portion that puts control of student loans directly in government hands and out of the private sector.
Or the parts that expose one's health to any and all agencies regardless of consent.
If this POS legislation goes forth America is doomed like Greece.
Your Ex

United States

#132 Sep 26, 2013
mjjcpa wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the parents of Ty Woods or Sean Smith?
Just admit you despise our troops and enable al qaeda like eric gutlessone did above.
Getting off topic, but OK...

How about the parents of Ambassador Christopher Stevens?
They label your partisan use of their serviceman son's death as "disgusting"
And they're right.
You are.
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#133 Sep 26, 2013
conservative crapola wrote:
During his childish rant, canadian rafael cruz compared Republicans who are not standing with him to 'appeasers who allowed Hitler to march through Europe.'
Statements like this and his public affectation for jessie helms, assures him a place in history's poltical dust bin.
McCain ripped back at the stupidity and ignorance of Ted (Jessie Helms) Cruz comments and didn’t mince his words:

“I resoundingly reject that allegation,” he said on the Senate floor.“That allegation in my view does a great disservice, a great disservice for those brave Americans and those who stood up and said what’s happening in Europe cannot stand.”
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#134 Sep 26, 2013
TonyT1961 wrote:
Too funny - Cruz wastes 21 hours trying to stop Obamacare, then votes for it??? Are all of u people supporting Cruz this f'in stupid?
Must be a rhetorical question!?
Sparkle

Bellevue, WA

#135 Sep 26, 2013
just checked out my healthcare exchange.... I will qualify for free healthcare... yes... the first time I have had health coverage in 10 years ... sweet

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#136 Sep 26, 2013
Mykro wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah baby. The Democrats sure did demean blacks by voting one in as President.
Agreed.

If 97% of whites voted for McCain or Romney, we'd be racists.

Blacks are just being one.

Liberal hypocrisy knows no bounds.

ROFLMAO

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Location hidden

#137 Sep 26, 2013
Sparkle wrote:
just checked out my healthcare exchange.... I will qualify for free healthcare... yes... the first time I have had health coverage in 10 years ... sweet
Try getting a doctor.

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Location hidden

#139 Sep 26, 2013
Your Ex wrote:
<quoted text>
Getting off topic, but OK...
How about the parents of Ambassador Christopher Stevens?
They label your partisan use of their serviceman son's death as "disgusting"
And they're right.
You are.
I'm not a traitorcrat like you who looks at this as a partisan issue.

I'm a patriot who cares about the people we send overseas to represent us.

I have very close friends in the foreign service you twit.

This fiasco has put them all in even more danger than they already were.

Everything is political for you people.

Why don't you get real jobs that contribute to society instead of whining that others have more?

I live in the cheapest house in an affluent neighborhood. If I thought like you I guess I'd be a miserable liberal too.

Adam 36

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#140 Sep 26, 2013
Ted Cruz Reveals that the Republican Establishment Despise Their Own Base

http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/09/ted_cr...
Sparkle

Bellevue, WA

#141 Sep 26, 2013
mjjcpa wrote:
<quoted text>
Try getting a doctor.
Oh i'll be fine Thank you... sorry you will have to pay for yours

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#143 Sep 26, 2013
mjjcpa wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.
If 97% of whites voted for McCain or Romney, we'd be racists.
Blacks are just being one.
Liberal hypocrisy knows no bounds.
ROFLMAO
Of course no one voted for Obama because they thought he was the better candidate. I remind you that the black vote for Bill Clinton was also over 90%.

And why the hell should a black person vote for a Republican who doesn't give a flying f''k about him or her. If fact it's puzzling why anyone at all would vote for a Republican, unless they believe "greed is good".

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#144 Sep 26, 2013
mjjcpa wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a traitorcrat like you who looks at this as a partisan issue.
I'm a patriot who cares about the people we send overseas to represent us.
I have very close friends in the foreign service you twit.
This fiasco has put them all in even more danger than they already were.
Everything is political for you people.
Why don't you get real jobs that contribute to society instead of whining that others have more?
I live in the cheapest house in an affluent neighborhood. If I thought like you I guess I'd be a miserable liberal too.
You're a frightwing teabag Kock Bros puppet. If you had a real job, you wouldn't be on here all the time. And your a patriot like all the other teabaggers. A Chickenhawk Sunshine Patriot.

Adam 36

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#145 Sep 26, 2013
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Of course no one voted for Obama because they thought he was the better candidate. I remind you that the black vote for Bill Clinton was also over 90%.
And why the hell should a black person vote for a Republican who doesn't give a flying f''k about him or her. If fact it's puzzling why anyone at all would vote for a Republican, unless they believe "greed is good".
Agreed, Republicans want good schools, self dependence and jobs instead of Food Stamps, section 8 housing, perpetual welfare and school dropouts.

You are correct, no contest.
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#146 Sep 26, 2013
Adam 36 wrote:
Ted Cruz Reveals that the Republican Establishment Despise Their Own Base
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/09/ted_cr...
Great stuff! Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 min zef 311,481
News Clinton vs Trump: battle of the New Yorkers 3 min My My 30
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min flack 1,402,869
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 6 min Nopal 5,219
News Despite her many roles, Hillary Clinton still h... 7 min WeTheSheeple 47
News Ted Cruz quickly becomes news at GOP confab 9 min serfs up 161
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 9 min Agents of Corruption 390,964
News Hillary Clinton picks Tim Kaine as vice preside... 14 min WeTheSheeple 62
News RNC Day 3: Cruz booed, Pence nominated 2 hr serfs up 188
More from around the web