Utah turns to higher court to halt ga...

Utah turns to higher court to halt gay marriage

There are 271 comments on the WTOP-FM Washington story from Dec 24, 2013, titled Utah turns to higher court to halt gay marriage. In it, WTOP-FM Washington reports that:

Utah state lawyers have again turned to a Denver-based federal appeals court in their bid to put a stop to gay couples getting married, saying the state should not be required to abide by one judge's narrow view of a "new and fundamentally different definition of marriage."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTOP-FM Washington.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
U dont know Duck club

Hanoi, Vietnam

#1 Dec 24, 2013
Related Topix: Wedding, Utah, Gay/Lesbian, Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, Religion, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormonism)....BYU.!

Merry Chritmas & Gods Bmore U!;-00

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#2 Dec 24, 2013
It seems like the only arguments they presented were the old "if gay folks marry, heterosexuals will start procreating irresponsibly", and "You must be fertile to marry" lines.

Neither of those has held up well in court. Do they have anything better to appeal WITH?

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#3 Dec 24, 2013
Quest wrote:
It seems like the only arguments they presented were the old "if gay folks marry, heterosexuals will start procreating irresponsibly", and "You must be fertile to marry" lines.
Neither of those has held up well in court. Do they have anything better to appeal WITH?
Not that I've read and it's one of the reasons the Stay from the District Judge was denied.......repeated rhetoric that had already failed in his court on Friday!!!

The State Lawyers and Governor are trying to use the same approach that the proponents of Prop 8 used..........it worked 3 years ago, but I don't think it will work now......the State can't show what they need to show in order to justify a Stay......no word from the 10th yet!
Hansel Currywurst

Houston, TX

#4 Dec 24, 2013
Quest wrote:
Do they have anything better to appeal WITH?
No, they're very unappealing.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#5 Dec 24, 2013
I hope I'm wrong, but I expect a stay will be issued today by the 10th circuit.

IF they deny a stay of Judge Shelby's ruling, the state has one last shot by requesting a stay from the SCOTUS.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#6 Dec 24, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
I hope I'm wrong, but I expect a stay will be issued today by the 10th circuit.
IF they deny a stay of Judge Shelby's ruling, the state has one last shot by requesting a stay from the SCOTUS.
Just out of curiosity, any predictions on how SCOTUS might rule? Or, would they just decline to rule on it, and let the decision stand?

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#7 Dec 24, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Just out of curiosity, any predictions on how SCOTUS might rule? Or, would they just decline to rule on it, and let the decision stand?
I'm pretty sure that would be a Christmas gift the Supremes would want to return immediately with a hearty Thanks but no thanks.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#8 Dec 24, 2013
There IS a difference between gay and straight couples:
Gay people don't throw their children off the top of high-rise buildings
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nypd-fathe...
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#9 Dec 24, 2013
U dont know Duck club wrote:
Related Topix: Wedding, Utah, Gay/Lesbian, Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, Religion, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormonism)....BYU.!
Merry Chritmas & Gods Bmore U!;-00
In USA; religious fantasy is NOT admissible as evidence in a court of law
MARRY SINTERKLAAS 2u Vietnam!
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#10 Dec 24, 2013
Quest wrote:
Marriage is a state issue. Unlike CA, they never allowed gay marriage. The federal judge went beyond his authority.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#11 Dec 24, 2013
The only affect 700 gay marriages had on UTAH was the sound of wedding bells and screechy politicians whose power play has ended

Tawas City, Michigan

#12 Dec 24, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you referring to the stay or the actual case?

Either way I think the SCOTUS is going to stay out of this as long as they can; i.e. until we get opposite rulings from 2 or more appeals courts.

Justice Kennedy telegraphed where he's going, and even Scalia predicted this would happen.

But I expect they'll let this play out in the individual states for a couple more years.

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Dec 24, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage is a state issue. Unlike CA, they never allowed gay marriage. The federal judge went beyond his authority.
Obviously it's NOT just a state issue, otherwise Virginia would still have a ban in inter-racial marriage.

The judge's authority is to rule on federal constitutional issues, and this is one of them.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#14 Dec 24, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
It has gone way of racial segregation; all part of history

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#15 Dec 24, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Want some cheese to go with that whine? Utah Senator Orrin Hatch recommended this federal judge to the President for appointment.

Put that under your Christmas tree.

Tawas City, Michigan

#16 Dec 24, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
The only affect 700 gay marriages had on UTAH was the sound of wedding bells and screechy politicians whose power play has ended
Obviously you missed the news about the Salt Lake Temple collapsing killing millions...
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#17 Dec 24, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously it's NOT just a state issue, otherwise Virginia would still have a ban in inter-racial marriage.
The judge's authority is to rule on federal constitutional issues, and this is one of them.
Virginia wasn't about gays getting married, I thought everyone knew that.
The constitution states that everyone in a state must follow the same rules.
If a man can marry a woman than any man can marry a woman. This is not the
case in Utah. It's not rocket science.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#18 Dec 24, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you missed the news about the Salt Lake Temple collapsing killing millions...
LOL what a hoot!
That is where dirty old mormons put on diapers and chase 12yo girls to make them giggle and scream
They can move to their playpen to Texas while repairs are made
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/20...

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#19 Dec 24, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.

Article VI [Legal Status of the Constitution]
"....This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution;..."

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/artic...

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#20 Dec 24, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
The Federal Judge refused to issue a stay because the decision on the stay by the State Judge was still pending.
Had he issued a stay he would have usurped the State Judge's authority.
You blew it again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 min Rose_NoHo 18,509
Election 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 min Patriot 243,946
News CBS' "The Case Of: JonBenet Ramsey" Premieres O... 2 min Spraguestephens 885
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min The Northener 209,875
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min mdbuilder 1,433,222
News Clinton blames Republican leaders for a 'paraly... 9 min Patriot 1,994
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 9 min Captain Yesterday 10,441
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 28 min valerie 395,859
News Post-debate poll: Clinton takes round one 1 hr swampmudd 260
More from around the web