Is Ohio next on right-to-work battlefront?

Dec 12, 2012 Full story: WKYC-TV 183

As neighboring Michigan became the 24th state Tuesday to enact laws that prohibit agreements requiring workers to join a union or pay dues, Ohio groups that support the laws say the Buckeye State has to follow suit or watch jobs leave.

Full Story

Since: Dec 09

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#142 Feb 6, 2013
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
More tripe from another loser who cannot compete in the workplace on their merits and needs the union to justify their excessive wages for their meager productivity.
Hardly, the word more appropriate is "discrimination" especially against older people, its even in the law but the government will not enforce it. Everybody should have the right to work, if you don't like that then move to a communist country and work in object slavery even if you work in a office...

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#143 Feb 6, 2013
Social Worker wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never met a union member who did not have an ego like a blimp. You are NOT a gift to your employer and the labor force; in fact, your cocky attitude makes you a hindrence to real productivity. The union bosses need you to stay angry with management so they tell you management cannot do without you and doesn't appreciate you. Were you to quit you would be replaced in an hour with another just like you.
None of you union guys are worth your paycheck and neither are the products you produce.
Who said I was Union? I stay angry at management because I work in a RTW state without any rights. They can not do with out workers that is the key, just like they can not do without customers for their products that is the other key, two keys that the working man has to control his destiny. Stop buying junk made in China and other such countries, that would put jobs back on our shores, organize in some form ,union or not, to affect the federal laws in how companies can manage employees. Stop and reverse the illegal immigrant problem. Just these few things would make all the difference in the American economy.
Vulgar Content

Dayton, OH

#144 Feb 6, 2013
deray wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said I was Union? I stay angry at management because I work in a RTW state without any rights. They can not do with out workers that is the key, just like they can not do without customers for their products that is the other key, two keys that the working man has to control his destiny. Stop buying junk made in China and other such countries, that would put jobs back on our shores, organize in some form ,union or not, to affect the federal laws in how companies can manage employees. Stop and reverse the illegal immigrant problem. Just these few things would make all the difference in the American economy.
Um, Deray, they can replace you in a heartbeat. You are union, if you weren't you would have nothing to complain about. No rights? Nonsense. That is union rhetoric. You have the same rights as everyone else; what you want is priviliges, i.e. your union backside kissed.
Don't believe me? Try this experiment. Get a bucket and fill it with water. Put your hand in the bucket of water. Now remove your hand. See how rapidly the hole left by your hand disappears? That is exactly how long it would take your employer to replace you.
GROW UP.

Since: Aug 12

Taylorsville, GA

#145 Feb 6, 2013
deray wrote:
<quoted text>
Also adding to that are the massive illegal immigrants sucking the life out of these states government systems. Just about every state that has a large illegal immigrant population is in serous trouble financially. All you have to do is look at a map with the illegal immigrant population on it and these states stand out like the proverbial sore thumb.
Obviously you haven't seen what Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina have done in regard to laws for illegal immigrants.....

Put it this way, they had to close schools down because they had so many of them up and leave just a year or two ago thanks to immigration laws here.

My own county of Cobb normally has 50-75 illegals rounded up and ready for deporting at any time. If you think its so damn good to be illegal in a RTW state why don't you give it a try. You're only proving yourself a typical union thug mouthpiece.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#146 Feb 6, 2013
Here in the state I live in they are closing hospitals because of all the free hand outs to illegals the federal government is now requiring in regard to medical care. Many other programs, state provided for citizens because of illegal immigrants use.

They are also misusing many peoples IDs, social security numbers, causing bad credit and or giving honest citizens criminal histories by using their IDs illegally.

Many children coming of age are finding their credit history and such messed up before they can even use it by illegal immigrants. If they had to close schools that is a blessing, that money was coming out of the legal citizens to educate another country's children.

I never have known a illegal immigrant to pay the full cost on anything yet, especially taxes or car insurance. They don't even pay the cost of the children they make in this country, they just go back home to Mexico to their real families or ever where they come from.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#147 Feb 6, 2013
many state programs closing because of illegal immigrant use.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#148 Feb 6, 2013
Vulgar Content wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, Deray, they can replace you in a heartbeat. You are union, if you weren't you would have nothing to complain about. No rights? Nonsense. That is union rhetoric. You have the same rights as everyone else; what you want is priviliges, i.e. your union backside kissed.
Don't believe me? Try this experiment. Get a bucket and fill it with water. Put your hand in the bucket of water. Now remove your hand. See how rapidly the hole left by your hand disappears? That is exactly how long it would take your employer to replace you.
GROW UP.
Like I said, I don't belong to a Union, a Non-Union person has no rights in a right to work state what so ever, they can be replaced, worked to death, thrown out the door for any or no reason what so ever.

I have said this more than once, the words right to work state is a misnomer (misnamed) you have no right at all period. When I say any reason I mean that, More than 40 years old, health problem of any kind, or a handicap you are gone. The only way to fight it is to get a lawyer at your own expense and try to get the state or federal government to stand behind the laws they have already on the book, they very seldom do so. Some things the government has made it were you have a matter of days to respond or you may as well forget about it, no matter how bad your injured for or the circumstance.

Taylorsville, GA

#149 Feb 6, 2013
You oughta just be happy Kasich is turning into full fledged RINO.

Ohio always gets republicans in yhay end up acting like a liberal democrat. This is the reason Ohio has lost 31% of their electoral votes.

And the reason they can't sustain jobs there and the reason I up and left. Besides the fact my job there moved south to a RTW state. I never wouldve made as much money in ohio as I do now in Georgia.

Taylorsville, GA

#150 Feb 6, 2013
Go ahead and keep ALL YOUR RIGHTS as a noble and precious laborer in Ohio. And keep on living in poverty as well.

No jobs. No companies are heading your way. Just government cheese jobs like building dumbass windmills. That is for as long as government subsidies last for em...

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#151 Feb 7, 2013
Funny post there, all right to work states factory workers are below the poverty level, that is why the Factories go to those states. Very few jobs in a RTW state are above the poverty level, most of those jobs are in administration, Human Resources fighting Union interest for example, like UdintBuild That She / He is evidently been trained in the rhetoric against Unions.

You will hear them (HR) from the time you start a job, monthly meetings, yearly meetings on nothing more than how bad the Union is. They are afraid of Union organizations.

It is true some Unions are not worth two cents, but some have made great strides for their members, you have to do due diligence to find the one(s) you wish to belong to. It is also true that a Union organization is not necessary in every case.

People in right to work states have been told so many stories about Unions that they have become afraid to be involved with one. An example in one of the small towns where I worked some tried to organize a food manufacturer, many said some of the same things UdintBuild has been saying, we can represent ourselves, they just take money out of our check, and such. Some very vocal against the Union trying to organize.

The Union did not make it into the plant after all was said and done. Afterwards they downgraded benefits which had been pretty good up to that time (smoke screen to make the company look good to employees) they also got rid of anyone who had been involved with the Union. They also for some reason got rid of the ones most vocal against the Union? The reason seems that they would be the ones most vocal when they found out they screwed up not supporting the Union.

They replaced the majority of the people working in the plant, over fifty percent with Temporary service employees, they made it into a revolving door system. They only keep enough full time employees to train the temporary work force coming in.

Very few have been there long enough now to remember the benefits, hourly wages and appreciation that was paid / shown at this plant before, many speak about a Union but don't realize a Union tried to help them once before.

That's the way they work, give them five years and very few will even remember anything about decent hourly wages or benefits, they think it has always been the way it is now.

This is a shame, this factory was owned by two brothers, both of them good men who gave their employees respect and reward for the hard work they did for the two men and their own families. These two men became billionaires from that one small factory, they cared for the employees almost like family.

They both got older and decide to sell the factory to a multi-national group of investors, who invest in food manufacture mostly. This group in a matter of five years have made the same factory a hell hole to work at, none of the management or human resources care one little bit about anyone or anything. They have reduced everything wages, benefits, even breaks are reduced to the bare minimum. They have taken away and are still trying to find ways to take away. Management gets their raises and bonuses right on along. But that is what you get as a individual in a RTW state in most cases...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#152 Feb 7, 2013
deray wrote:
Funny post there, all right to work states factory workers are below the poverty level, that is why the Factories go to those states. Very few jobs in a RTW state are above the poverty level, most of those jobs are in administration, Human Resources fighting Union interest for example, like UdintBuild That She / He is evidently been trained in the rhetoric against Unions.
You will hear them (HR) from the time you start a job, monthly meetings, yearly meetings on nothing more than how bad the Union is. They are afraid of Union organizations.
It is true some Unions are not worth two cents, but some have made great strides for their members, you have to do due diligence to find the one(s) you wish to belong to. It is also true that a Union organization is not necessary in every case.
People in right to work states have been told so many stories about Unions that they have become afraid to be involved with one. An example in one of the small towns where I worked some tried to organize a food manufacturer, many said some of the same things UdintBuild has been saying, we can represent ourselves, they just take money out of our check, and such. Some very vocal against the Union trying to organize.
The Union did not make it into the plant after all was said and done. Afterwards they downgraded benefits which had been pretty good up to that time (smoke screen to make the company look good to employees) they also got rid of anyone who had been involved with the Union. They also for some reason got rid of the ones most vocal against the Union? The reason seems that they would be the ones most vocal when they found out they screwed up not supporting the Union.
They replaced the majority of the people working in the plant, over fifty percent with Temporary service employees, they made it into a revolving door system. They only keep enough full time employees to train the temporary work force coming in.
Very few have been there long enough now to remember the benefits, hourly wages and appreciation that was paid / shown at this plant before, many speak about a Union but don't realize a Union tried to help them once before.
That's the way they work, give them five years and very few will even remember anything about decent hourly wages or benefits, they think it has always been the way it is now.
This is a shame, this factory was owned by two brothers, both of them good men who gave their employees respect and reward for the hard work they did for the two men and their own families. These two men became billionaires from that one small factory, they cared for the employees almost like family.
They both got older and decide to sell the factory to a multi-national group of investors, who invest in food manufacture mostly. This group in a matter of five years have made the same factory a hell hole to work at, none of the management or human resources care one little bit about anyone or anything. They have reduced everything wages, benefits, even breaks are reduced to the bare minimum. They have taken away and are still trying to find ways to take away. Management gets their raises and bonuses right on along. But that is what you get as a individual in a RTW state in most cases...
Not in Iowa which is a RTW state besides John Deere UAW workers make more than UAW members in Michigan which has always been a non RTW state.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#153 Feb 7, 2013
That may be true but they are still getting union representation. The ones who belong to the union are receiving those wages and the union members are supporting the non-members because in most cases the non-paying members are receiving the same wages / benefits that the union members fought and paid for.

The only goal of a RTW state is to union bust or to in time make a union useless to its members. Companies / corporations manipulate unions in RTW states to make themselves look better in that environment for a period of time. It is just a way to sway public and employee opinion (playing games), after they get what they want it is back to business as usual.

But without a union in most cases I have seen a common worker out on the factory floor is again (excuse the expression) screwed. It is after a time very hard to get a union into a RTW state because young people just don't understand the concept.

Once they grow up enough to understand how a union could help them it is to late. I could be wrong but I seem to remember in this state a union can not try to organize a work place except like every five years or so.

I have seen companies give raises, benefits, company picnics that kind of thing toward the end of that five year period really bend over backwards for the workers.

Then just after the union fails to come in they take everything back away. That's why they like to hire naive youth, they don't know what is going on, more mature persons can see it coming after a few years of observation.

I worked at a place one time and this happened, a young lady was all joyful when they began giving out the money and benefits. I told her not to depend on what they were giving out because it would not last.

She was talking about how great the company we worked for was and that I was nothing but a old lair. Well almost one year to the day, after the union had tried but failed to come in to the plant the reduced the wages, removed most of the benefits.

The last time I seen that young lady was when she was laid off and being lead out the door. I had tried to warn her about the politics of this kind of thing but she let herself get hurt anyway, people want to believe the best, I tell you now that is not the way the world of business works in most cases.

It would be just an accordance if this had happened just once in my work history, but I have see this happen over and over.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#154 Feb 7, 2013
There's one thing I hold against Obama during his first election run, He said: I will increase the federally required minimum wage to $9.95 per hour. Which is just below the average poverty line here in the USA in most states.

After he won the election back then you never hear another thing about helping the working citizen in this country, he seems to be more interested in helping illegal immigrants than the legal immigrants and citizens of this country.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#155 Feb 7, 2013
A February 2011 study by the Economic Policy Institute found:[16]

Wages in right-to-work states are 3.2% lower than those in non-RTW states, after controlling for a full complement of individual demographic and socioeconomic variables as well as state macroeconomic indicators. Using the average wage in non-RTW states as the base ($22.11), the average full-time, full-year worker in an RTW state makes about $1,500 less annually than a similar worker in a non-RTW state. The study goes on to say "How much of this difference can be attributed to RTW status itself? There is an inherent “endogeneity” problem in any attempt to answer that question, namely that RTW and non-RTW states differ on a wide variety of measures that are also related to compensation, making it difficult to isolate the impact of RTW status."[16]

The rate of employer-sponsored health insurance (ESI) is 2.6 percentage points lower in RTW states compared with non-RTW states, after controlling for individual, job, and state-level characteristics. If workers in non-RTW states were to receive ESI at this lower rate, 2 million fewer workers nationally would be covered.

The rate of employer-sponsored pensions is 4.8 percentage points lower in RTW states, using the full complement of control variables in [the study's] regression model. If workers in non-RTW states were to receive pensions at this lower rate, 3.8 million fewer workers nationally would have pensions.

In 2009, the unemployment rate was 8.6% in the RTW states; 9.6% in the non-RTW states.

United States

#156 Feb 7, 2013
Wow.... Wages in non RTW states are 3.2% lower...... Well just damn, nevermind the 2% GONE in payroll tax fica and the extra 2-3% of peoples discretionary income going to fill up the gas tank. Both of which could've been avoided..... But good lordy the 3.2% lower wages, GAWD forbid..... Deray you fail to realize living in povertyin non RTW states won't be from HAVING a job.... It'll stem from NOT having a job which there won't be any coming there....ever.
And even if the unemployment numbers happen to come in higher in RTW states its only because of the mass exodus of people from non RTW states TOOOO RTW STATES. Take myself for example. I represent one of the electoral votes that moved directly from Ohio to Georgia..... Now its more difficult for an original Georgian to get a job here because even though jobs are moving to RTW states from nons, they don't move faster than people move FROM non RTW states.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#157 Feb 7, 2013
deray wrote:
That may be true but they are still getting union representation. The ones who belong to the union are receiving those wages and the union members are supporting the non-members because in most cases the non-paying members are receiving the same wages / benefits that the union members fought and paid for.
The only goal of a RTW state is to union bust or to in time make a union useless to its members. Companies / corporations manipulate unions in RTW states to make themselves look better in that environment for a period of time. It is just a way to sway public and employee opinion (playing games), after they get what they want it is back to business as usual.
But without a union in most cases I have seen a common worker out on the factory floor is again (excuse the expression) screwed. It is after a time very hard to get a union into a RTW state because young people just don't understand the concept.
Once they grow up enough to understand how a union could help them it is to late. I could be wrong but I seem to remember in this state a union can not try to organize a work place except like every five years or so.
I have seen companies give raises, benefits, company picnics that kind of thing toward the end of that five year period really bend over backwards for the workers.
Then just after the union fails to come in they take everything back away. That's why they like to hire naive youth, they don't know what is going on, more mature persons can see it coming after a few years of observation.
I worked at a place one time and this happened, a young lady was all joyful when they began giving out the money and benefits. I told her not to depend on what they were giving out because it would not last.
She was talking about how great the company we worked for was and that I was nothing but a old lair. Well almost one year to the day, after the union had tried but failed to come in to the plant the reduced the wages, removed most of the benefits.
The last time I seen that young lady was when she was laid off and being lead out the door. I had tried to warn her about the politics of this kind of thing but she let herself get hurt anyway, people want to believe the best, I tell you now that is not the way the world of business works in most cases.
It would be just an accordance if this had happened just once in my work history, but I have see this happen over and over.
I have worked in both RTW & Non RTW state and the Unions are better in RTW states because the National Unions know they have to work for those dues vs in a Non RTW state which if the facility is under union representation, the union know that everyone that gains employment in a represented facility knows people are going to be forced to pay due to work there besides the fact that the unions dont work as hard either and is only there to collect union dues and if the unions can keep wages & benefits down its a win win for the Unions & the Employers because it creates an incentive for the Employers to bring more work into a facility which can hire more cheaper workers which translates into more union dues for the Local & national unions which operate like a business anymore besides if a national union has two union represented facilities by the same employer and the employer wants to consilidate, guess what the union with the cheaper benefits & wages is staying open because its in the financial interest of the union to go along with the employer which I have watched happen before between two different locals. Just like right now here in the US the US workers have been competing against the Chinese Workers and losing because the Chinese Workers are cheaper but that is starting to change because the Chinese Workers are demanding more money which they say the Chinese are putting themselves out of work because of high wages and the shipping cost which companies are starting to move back to the US because of increased cost.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#158 Feb 7, 2013
Since you mention it:

Check www.jobenomics.com

There are 12.5 million people currently looking for jobs
There are 88 million people who have given up looking for jobs
The current factual unemployment rate is 35% not 8%
Further:
32% Private Sector jobs or 101 million people support
32 million Gov't workers
88 million not in labor force-no longer looking for job
72 million cannot work-kids,retirees,disable
12.5million in labor force-out of work-stll looking

Synopsis-
101 million people in private sector jobs who produce wealth..........support
204.5 million who do not produce wealth

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#159 Feb 7, 2013
UdintBuildThat wrote:
Wow.... Wages in non RTW states are 3.2% lower...... Well just damn, nevermind the 2% GONE in payroll tax fica and the extra 2-3% of peoples discretionary income going to fill up the gas tank. Both of which could've been avoided..... But good lordy the 3.2% lower wages, GAWD forbid..... Deray you fail to realize living in povertyin non RTW states won't be from HAVING a job.... It'll stem from NOT having a job which there won't be any coming there....ever.
And even if the unemployment numbers happen to come in higher in RTW states its only because of the mass exodus of people from non RTW states TOOOO RTW STATES. Take myself for example. I represent one of the electoral votes that moved directly from Ohio to Georgia..... Now its more difficult for an original Georgian to get a job here because even though jobs are moving to RTW states from nons, they don't move faster than people move FROM non RTW states.
Wages in RTW states are 3.2 percent lower. Millions of dollars just the same. I don't have the solution for the moving around, but that is not right either, why move into a depressed state and take away their jobs. I this area we have people coming in from every state in the union, most of them after a year end up on welfare drawing our states tax money they did not pay into except for a short time. You put that together with the illegal immigrant problem and it is causing pure hell.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#160 Feb 7, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>I have worked in both RTW & Non RTW state and the Unions are better in RTW states because the National Unions know they have to work for those dues vs in a Non RTW state which if the facility is under union representation, the union know that everyone that gains employment in a represented facility knows people are going to be forced to pay due to work there besides the fact that the unions dont work as hard either and is only there to collect union dues and if the unions can keep wages & benefits down its a win win for the Unions & the Employers because it creates an incentive for the Employers to bring more work into a facility which can hire more cheaper workers which translates into more union dues for the Local & national unions which operate like a business anymore besides if a national union has two union represented facilities by the same employer and the employer wants to consilidate, guess what the union with the cheaper benefits & wages is staying open because its in the financial interest of the union to go along with the employer which I have watched happen before between two different locals. Just like right now here in the US the US workers have been competing against the Chinese Workers and losing because the Chinese Workers are cheaper but that is starting to change because the Chinese Workers are demanding more money which they say the Chinese are putting themselves out of work because of high wages and the shipping cost which companies are starting to move back to the US because of increased cost.
From what I see and have read the reason business is coming back to the United States has very little to do with the paltry wages they pay over seas, it has more to do with the cost of fuel in the ships they ship the junk back in, shipping costs in other words. In the biggest container ships it costs millions of dollars for a one way trip to the US from China, if that cost increases a few cents per gallon or ton it amounts to hundreds of hundreds of thousands of dollars just on one of those ships.

Falls of Rough, Kentucky

#161 Feb 7, 2013
Here's what we are talking about and what they are building now.

The world's largest ship

http://www.worldslargestship.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 4 min Frankie Rizzo 5,397
US and Cuba move to normalize ties, open embassy 4 min Madaman 306
Blacks Fear Man Found Hung In Mississippi Wasn'... (Jan '11) 4 min swedenforever 113
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 6 min Agents of Corruption 294,935
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Yeah 1,156,462
After being impeached in 1998, Clinton said he ... 8 min tha Professor 37
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 min TurkanaBoy 134,690
Official: US eyes dozens of Gitmo transfers 3 hr Lawrence Wolf 10
Democrats optimistic on 2016 presidential chances 3 hr Guess Who 8
More from around the web