Immigration bill fails key Senate test

Immigration bill fails key Senate test

There are 23 comments on the KUSA Denver story from Jun 7, 2007, titled Immigration bill fails key Senate test. In it, KUSA Denver reports that:

Republicans and Democrats scrambled Thursday to salvage a fragile compromise that would legalize millions of unlawful immigrants after it suffered setbacks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KUSA Denver.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Protect Our Borders

Louisville, CO

#1 Jun 7, 2007
By a vote of 63-33, the Senate fell far short of the 60 votes that would have been needed to limit debate on the immigration measure and put it on a path to passage.

This bill will die within the hour!

hey hey hey GOODBYE!
carol

Monroe, LA

#2 Jun 7, 2007
Get the illegals out of this country, get them out!!!!!

“SA != Hip-Hop”

Since: May 07

San Antonio, TX

#3 Jun 7, 2007
Protect Our Borders wrote:
By a vote of 63-33, the Senate fell far short of the 60 votes that would have been needed to limit debate on the immigration measure and put it on a path to passage.
This bill will die within the hour!
hey hey hey GOODBYE!
Like anything is going to change by this. Get a clue
GMAN

Denver, CO

#4 Jun 7, 2007
Just two words... NO AMNESTY!
Rojo

Littleton, CO

#5 Jun 7, 2007
Have been watching CSPAN2 on and off the past three weeks thanks to what I was hearing about this Immigration Bill. I am ashamed to admit I did vote for Salazar, but have learned my lesson now that I see his priorities are for illegal aliens and big business over the needs of our country and our citizens. I did call his offcie, Allards office and many other Senators as I watched them state their cases on TV. Kudu's to Sen Jeff Sessions from Alabama. He and Sen Cornyn from TX really stood out as the few Senators who kept the needs of our country and our citizens at the top of the list. And shame on those Senators who tried to appeal for votes by giving us their sentimental sappy stories about their own immigrant past as if that shoudl matter at all when dealing with the 20 million who are here illegally now. This was hot topic number one at my daughters soccer games the past few weeks and various barbeques I've attended. The reponse has been overwhelmingly negative and this was with quite a diverse group of Coloradans. A few advised me to listen to Peter Boyles on KHOW talk radio which I started doing about 2 weeks ago. I recommend anyone else interested in this issue to do the same as there are some real eye opening discussioms on his show about the impact these illegal aliens truly have on our society right here in CO. Thank you all who helped defeat this measure, at least temporarily. Keep an eye out though because you know Salazar and Kennedy are going to try and ramrod this one through again soon.
Lauren

United States

#6 Jun 7, 2007
Rojo wrote:
Have been watching CSPAN2 on and off the past three weeks thanks to what I was hearing about this Immigration Bill. I am ashamed to admit I did vote for Salazar, but have learned my lesson now that I see his priorities are for illegal aliens and big business over the needs of our country and our citizens. I did call his offcie, Allards office and many other Senators as I watched them state their cases on TV. Kudu's to Sen Jeff Sessions from Alabama. He and Sen Cornyn from TX really stood out as the few Senators who kept the needs of our country and our citizens at the top of the list. And shame on those Senators who tried to appeal for votes by giving us their sentimental sappy stories about their own immigrant past as if that shoudl matter at all when dealing with the 20 million who are here illegally now. This was hot topic number one at my daughters soccer games the past few weeks and various barbeques I've attended. The reponse has been overwhelmingly negative and this was with quite a diverse group of Coloradans. A few advised me to listen to Peter Boyles on KHOW talk radio which I started doing about 2 weeks ago. I recommend anyone else interested in this issue to do the same as there are some real eye opening discussioms on his show about the impact these illegal aliens truly have on our society right here in CO. Thank you all who helped defeat this measure, at least temporarily. Keep an eye out though because you know Salazar and Kennedy are going to try and ramrod this one through again soon.
I like most Americans have been watching C-Span regarding immigration. For those of us here in Texas, we are proud of our senator Cornyn. We are thankful for his courage and will write those who stood up for Americans. The one thing Americans need to do to make sure when this bill comes around again is to take to the streets united voicing Americans voice louder and stronger than illegals. We don't want to take any chances or our taxpayers money to make sure our congress does what's right for Americans not illegals. Another issue is we need to write, call, e-mail our senators to make changes to the 14th amendment, no more anchor babies. This is what starts problems for those who feel sympathy about deporting illegals because they have children here. This causes major problems with chain immigration because they know if they have a child here it would anchor them here and the gov. appear inhumane if they kicked them out. VOTE TO STOP ANCHOR BABIES. THIS IS A MANIPULATIVE PLOY BY ILLEGALS TO STAY HERE AND THEY KNOW IT!

Since: Apr 07

Louisville, CO

#7 Jun 7, 2007
Lauren wrote:
<quoted text>
I like most Americans have been watching C-Span regarding immigration. For those of us here in Texas, we are proud of our senator Cornyn. We are thankful for his courage and will write those who stood up for Americans. The one thing Americans need to do to make sure when this bill comes around again is to take to the streets united voicing Americans voice louder and stronger than illegals. We don't want to take any chances or our taxpayers money to make sure our congress does what's right for Americans not illegals. Another issue is we need to write, call, e-mail our senators to make changes to the 14th amendment, no more anchor babies. This is what starts problems for those who feel sympathy about deporting illegals because they have children here. This causes major problems with chain immigration because they know if they have a child here it would anchor them here and the gov. appear inhumane if they kicked them out. VOTE TO STOP ANCHOR BABIES. THIS IS A MANIPULATIVE PLOY BY ILLEGALS TO STAY HERE AND THEY KNOW IT!
You got that right! NO MORE ANCHOR BABIES! DEPORT ALL ILLEGALS

Today was a huge Victory for the American Citizens! I'm sure another piece of poop scamnesty bill will come back up but hopefully in the meantime we will enforce some exiting laws and start deporting ILLEGALS while building the 700 mile fence and securing OUR borders in general!

Oh and the bill just didn't lose. It lost bad! The first vote failed by a 33-63 margin. After that vote, Reid subsequently called for cloture on the underlying bill, but that vote also failed this time, by a 34-61 count. The Senate tonight, by a 45-50 vote, failed to invoke cloture on the "Grand Bargain" Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) subsequently pulled the underlying bill from the floor.

Thanks to everyone who called, emailed and faxed to get this think squashed! Next we just need to work on getting Salazar out of office!
Lauren

United States

#8 Jun 8, 2007
Absolutely protect OUR borders. Since this bill failed, now is the time to e-mail, call and fax our senators and congressmen to not only stop the anchor babies, but enforce the laws and workforce. My cousin was laid off from a job 6 months ago and can't find work. He has a degree in fine arts and photography, but will have to settle for a job at a grocery store. Too bad he can't find work in his field. Americans are tired of shifting our jobs and lives for corporate whores and corrupt congressmen. More and more you see businesses not advertising for jobs here because they are filled by illegals who work cheaper and of course advertise by word of mouth to other illegals. So many Americans would by willing to work many of these jobs, and some they wouldn't because they offer no benefits at all and only want cheap labor. I bet if they offered decent wages, benefits and advertised, Americans would flock to them. But no, that's how our wages are being driven down along with jobs. American citizens demand and deserve decent wages and health benefits, we pay enough taxes to help every one else. The greedy corporations and government are selling us out. I'm a school teacher in a major city in Texas. I have 400 alone taken out for taxes and medicaid. My health insurance for me and one child went up to almost 500 a month. That leaves me 2000 to live on. That's with a college degree. If I didn't have a degree, I would be one of those lined up to get a job at WalMart for 30 hours a week and no benefits. Now, tell me what's wrong with that picture? I get sick of hearing the President saying that illegals are because their doing jobs Americans won't do. And sick of the crap lefty's and liberals spew how these people only came to work, and then they all think we shouldn't have immigration laws. Now is a good time to re-visit our senators thanking them and explaining why we should have our immigration laws enforced.
No more Human Beans

Denver, CO

#9 Jun 8, 2007
Deport deport deport!!!!!!
johnnie

Clearwater, FL

#10 Jun 8, 2007
Kinda like the civil rights movement when the rednecks and racists were opposed, the change has to happen from above. And it will-if not this year, in a year or two!!!
Doing nothing will simply make the problem worse than it already is!
Congress must get their sh.t together and pass this immigration bill! Don't listen to the bigots in this country-we all know there are millions.

“Average American”

Since: Mar 07

Lisbon, Maine

#11 Jun 8, 2007
No more Human Beans wrote:
Deport deport deport!!!!!!
Anyone want to go with me Sunday to the Mile-Hi Flea Market with Border Patrol hats on??? lol

Seriously, we need to keep the pressure on! We need to have our current laws enforced. How can we, the citizens, file a lawsuit against our federal government for not enforcing the bills and legislation that has been passed already? What happened to the lawsuit that Bill Owens and our state legislatures passed to sue the federal government for not enforcing current laws? Why is the federal government not building the fence that was passed last year? Can we file charges against them? Do we have a lawyer here somewhere that can answer any of these questions. I really think this is what the American people need to start working on.
texan

Clayton, OK

#12 Jun 8, 2007
sorry to say that 700 mile fence will never be built. our leader will see to that because we wouldn't approve his amnesty bill.
how many extra border guards will be hired?
their hands will be tied.
wanna bet they will try to pass a bill in secrecy to allow amnesty?
a new administration will not solve this problem.
the only thing that will help is to keep flooding your senators, congressmen, and representatives with email, faxes, and phone calls.

“Average American”

Lisbon, Maine

#13 Jun 8, 2007
texan wrote:
sorry to say that 700 mile fence will never be built. our leader will see to that because we wouldn't approve his amnesty bill.
how many extra border guards will be hired?
their hands will be tied.
wanna bet they will try to pass a bill in secrecy to allow amnesty?
a new administration will not solve this problem.
the only thing that will help is to keep flooding your senators, congressmen, and representatives with email, faxes, and phone calls.
But who holds the administration accountable for not enforcing the bills they pass??? Can we sue the fed gov? The fence was something Bush wanted. We gave it to him, now it sits on his desk with no plans for building??
HHtx76548

Killeen, TX

#14 Jun 8, 2007
Nan from Arvada wrote:
<quoted text>
But who holds the administration accountable for not enforcing the bills they pass??? Can we sue the fed gov? The fence was something Bush wanted. We gave it to him, now it sits on his desk with no plans for building??
I'm with you Nan. I wrote to grassfire yesterday asking the same question. Last Sunday my son was involved in an accident where the other driver left the scene. I have since found out that the other driver is in jail and charged with failure to stop and give info, dwi-2nd offense, immigration violation. This guy had no insurance. My son only has liability. He delivers pizza and has a newborn son. If this guy was let go and not deported on the 1st dwi, I want the government to pay for my son's damages. Enforce the existing laws..period! Also, a bill has been introduced that I am asking people to call/write/fax their representative about. It's H.R.1355.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd...
ANDY

United States

#15 Jun 8, 2007
I'M 58. CAN'T FIND A JOB. I'M AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FOOD CHAIN. WOULD YOU GIVE ME A JOB OR A YOUNG MAN? I DON'T WANT TO SEE ALL THE ILLEGALS HERE. I THINK HOW BAD IT MUST BE IN MEXICO FOR A PERSON TO LEAVE ALL THEY KNOW. HOW ABOUT ANOTHER STATE?

“Average American”

Lisbon, Maine

#16 Jun 8, 2007
HHtx76548 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm with you Nan. I wrote to grassfire yesterday asking the same question. Last Sunday my son was involved in an accident where the other driver left the scene. I have since found out that the other driver is in jail and charged with failure to stop and give info, dwi-2nd offense, immigration violation. This guy had no insurance. My son only has liability. He delivers pizza and has a newborn son. If this guy was let go and not deported on the 1st dwi, I want the government to pay for my son's damages. Enforce the existing laws..period! Also, a bill has been introduced that I am asking people to call/write/fax their representative about. It's H.R.1355.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd...
That is a great read! I will be following this one!
djm

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jun 8, 2007
Thunder Clap wrote:
How is that two opposing ideas get put on the same bill? For example; tighter security on our borders and amnesty for illegals. Is this some strategy they use to push something through?
You got it! That is probably what was dicussed behind closed doors. Everyone can point and say I this part of it but not that! Dirt bags ALL!:)
FLS

Denver, CO

#20 Jun 8, 2007

I hope we find new blood soon, for these Senators and possible future Presidents should not be in office. I obtained this record on line, I cannot be sure if it is true, but I wrote many and I received no answer except from Wayne Allard who voted no, Salazar just sent out a letter that he is in favor of the immigration bill. Most of these are Democrats sad to say. I do not belong to a party, I only will vote for who I think is the best right now it looks like a very poor set of candidates running for President for none are listening to the American people.

The following senators voted against making English the official language of America:

Akaka (D-HI)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Boxer (D-CA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Dayton (D-MN)
Dodd (D-CT)
Domenici (R-NM)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Inouye (D-HI)
Jeffords (I-VT)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murray (D-WA)
Obama (D-IL)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Salazar (D-CO)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Schumer (D-NY)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Wyden (D-OR)

Now, the following are the senators who voted to give illegal aliens Social Security benefits. They are grouped by home state. If a state is not listed, there was no voting representative.

Alaska : Stevens (R)
Arizona : McCain (R)
Arkansas : Lincoln (D) Pryor (D)
California : Boxer (D) Feinstein (D)
Colorado : Salazar (D)
Connecticut : Dodd (D) Lieberman (D)
Delaware : Biden (D) Carper (D)
Florida : Martinez (R)
Hawaii : Akaka (D) Inouye (D)
Illinois : Durbin (D) Obama (D)
Indiana : Bayh (D) Lugar (R)
Iowa : Harkin (D)
Kansas : Brownback (R)
Louisiana : Landrieu (D)
Maryland : Mikulski (D) Sarbanes (D)
Massachusetts : Kennedy (D) Kerry (D)
Montana : Baucus (D)
Nebraska : Hagel (R)
Nevada : Reid (D)
New Jersey : Lautenberg (D) Menendez (D)
New Mexico : Bingaman (D)
New York : Clinton (D) Schumer (D)
North Dakota : Dorgan (D)
Ohio : DeWine (R) Voinovich(R)
Oregon : Wyden (D)
Pennsylvania : Specter (R)
Rhode Island : Chafee (R) Reed (D)
South Carolina : Graham (R)
South Dakota : Johnson (D)
Vermont : Jeffords (I) Leahy (D)
Washington : Cantwell (D) Murray (D)
West Virginia : Rockefeller (D), by Not Voting
Wisconsin : Feingold (D) Kohl (D)

SEND THIS TO ALL YOU KNOW. THE ENTIRE POPULATION OF THE UNITED STATES NEEDS TO KNOW THIS INFORMATION, UNLESS THEY DON'T MIND SHARING THEIR SOCIAL SECURITY WITH FOREIGN WORKERS WHO DIDN'T PAY IN A CENT!
GMAN

Denver, CO

#21 Jun 10, 2007
What a friggin shame!
FLS wrote:
I hope we find new blood soon, for these Senators and possible future Presidents should not be in office. I obtained this record on line, I cannot be sure if it is true, but I wrote many and I received no answer except from Wayne Allard who voted no, Salazar just sent out a letter that he is in favor of the immigration bill. Most of these are Democrats sad to say. I do not belong to a party, I only will vote for who I think is the best right now it looks like a very poor set of candidates running for President for none are listening to the American people.
The following senators voted against making English the official language of America:
Akaka (D-HI)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Boxer (D-CA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Dayton (D-MN)
Dodd (D-CT)
Domenici (R-NM)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Inouye (D-HI)
Jeffords (I-VT)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murray (D-WA)
Obama (D-IL)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Salazar (D-CO)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Schumer (D-NY)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Wyden (D-OR)
Now, the following are the senators who voted to give illegal aliens Social Security benefits. They are grouped by home state. If a state is not listed, there was no voting representative.
Alaska : Stevens (R)
Arizona : McCain (R)
Arkansas : Lincoln (D) Pryor (D)
California : Boxer (D) Feinstein (D)
Colorado : Salazar (D)
Connecticut : Dodd (D) Lieberman (D)
Delaware : Biden (D) Carper (D)
Florida : Martinez (R)
Hawaii : Akaka (D) Inouye (D)
Illinois : Durbin (D) Obama (D)
Indiana : Bayh (D) Lugar (R)
Iowa : Harkin (D)
Kansas : Brownback (R)
Louisiana : Landrieu (D)
Maryland : Mikulski (D) Sarbanes (D)
Massachusetts : Kennedy (D) Kerry (D)
Montana : Baucus (D)
Nebraska : Hagel (R)
Nevada : Reid (D)
New Jersey : Lautenberg (D) Menendez (D)
New Mexico : Bingaman (D)
New York : Clinton (D) Schumer (D)
North Dakota : Dorgan (D)
Ohio : DeWine (R) Voinovich(R)
Oregon : Wyden (D)
Pennsylvania : Specter (R)
Rhode Island : Chafee (R) Reed (D)
South Carolina : Graham (R)
South Dakota : Johnson (D)
Vermont : Jeffords (I) Leahy (D)
Washington : Cantwell (D) Murray (D)
West Virginia : Rockefeller (D), by Not Voting
Wisconsin : Feingold (D) Kohl (D)
SEND THIS TO ALL YOU KNOW. THE ENTIRE POPULATION OF THE UNITED STATES NEEDS TO KNOW THIS INFORMATION, UNLESS THEY DON'T MIND SHARING THEIR SOCIAL SECURITY WITH FOREIGN WORKERS WHO DIDN'T PAY IN A CENT!
wayne williams

Auburn Hills, MI

#22 Jun 12, 2007
i dont thank you can sue the gov. but as corrup as they are we could take up a collection and buy them off you know they are like the street walkers on hollywood blvd they will do anythang for two bucks fifty. send them all back to mexico maybe some of us gringos can go back to work .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trent Lott Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Senate rejects proposal banning lobbyist gifts (Mar '06) Dec '16 Lotteries Abandon... 28
News Paul Ryan taps lobbyist David Hoppe for top job (Oct '15) Oct '16 Randee Cabbage Se... 2
News Conservatives, Steve Scalise, and the Endless R... (Dec '14) Sep '16 trumans treason 2
News Anti-Nazi PAC to defeat David Duke includes ex-... (Sep '16) Sep '16 zionism is racism 1
News Lott criticizes decline of deal-making during T... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Invited Crook 6
News Expect the Unexpected in Mississippi Special El... (May '15) May '15 Gary 2
News Two more to join congressional race (Mar '15) Mar '15 Lost hope 1
More from around the web