Warner: Deal "Probably Won't" Come Before Sequester Deadline

Feb 25, 2013 Read more: NBC29 Charlottesville 17
If and when across the board federal spending cuts go into effect Friday, Virginia stands to suffer more than any other state in the country. Read more
Oh My

Christiansburg, VA

#1 Feb 27, 2013
Run the sky is falling!!!!! This is a non event that amounts less than is involved in waste fraud and abuse daily by the federal government. I feel so much better knowing we are hearing input from a guy who could not even keep interstate rest area open. A real financial genius. I saw Obama stating he would not be able to not care for either poor or handicapped kids. How about starting with the kids with free cell phones
cvillemom

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Feb 27, 2013
We dealt with the revenue increases when the fiscal cliff was averted. Obama agreed then that there would be no more attempts at trying to raise taxes. Did the Democrats not get that memo? The Dems need to stop pointing their fingers at the GOP. Lew and Obama cooked up the idea of the sequester and it was marketed to Congress by Obama, then Obama signed it. Obama owns the sequester lock, stock, and barrel. If he didn't want this to happen, he shouldn't have pushed for it or signed off on the legislation, anymore than a person should order a hamburger off the menu when they are determined to eat filet mignon. Duh!
I don't want to see a lot of jobs lost in VA, but the sequester will eliminate a lot of unnecessary spending and give Congress a chance to reinstate reasonable spending for vital programs, and ONLY vital programs.
Hmmmmm

Palmyra, VA

#3 Feb 27, 2013
Oh My wrote:
How about starting with the kids with free cell phones
You are such an irresponsible run-at-the-mouth citizen. Google is your friend - spend 10 minutes and learn the "real" story behind the Reagan/Clinton phones that were renamed "Obama phones" by a bunch of irresponsible run-at-the-mouth citizens. And while you're at it, go ahead and crack some more on the poor and handicapped kids of the world.
Hmmmmm

Palmyra, VA

#4 Feb 27, 2013
cvillemom wrote:
We dealt with the revenue increases when the fiscal cliff was averted. Obama agreed then that there would be no more attempts at trying to raise taxes. Did the Democrats not get that memo? The Dems need to stop pointing their fingers at the GOP. Lew and Obama cooked up the idea of the sequester and it was marketed to Congress by Obama, then Obama signed it. Obama owns the sequester lock, stock, and barrel. If he didn't want this to happen, he shouldn't have pushed for it or signed off on the legislation, anymore than a person should order a hamburger off the menu when they are determined to eat filet mignon. Duh!
I don't want to see a lot of jobs lost in VA, but the sequester will eliminate a lot of unnecessary spending and give Congress a chance to reinstate reasonable spending for vital programs, and ONLY vital programs.
And the GOP and its supporters need to stop pointing the finger at Obama and the Dems. Why is one finger pointing better than another? The whole story here is a whole lot bigger and longer than the sequester story. If you can't see that and just want to join the finger pointing game - then stop complaining about the finger pointing game.

We have serious problems to solve and we need serious people to solve them. Not a bunch of over-simplifying, blame-game, finger pointing hacks who think that our current financial situation is "someone's" fault.
cvillemom

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Feb 27, 2013
@Hmmm- the sequester is Obama's. And yes I realize that we have bigger problems than the sequester, but it is Obama whose sole talking point is fear-mongering that we will all melt away come March 1. Now, if you want to talk about the deficit or the national debt or the economy, there is plenty of blame to go around, past and present. But it is time to address those monumental problems, our country is broke, bankrupt from now until the forseeable future, and all I see the Dems and Obama doing is continuing to spend money like it grows on trees. He took office when the economy was in the tank, threw a stimulus at it, declared it fixed (oh, brother! reminded me of Bush landing the aircraft on the carrier and declaring the war over) then ignored it for months as the cost of foreign military action continued to rise and while he proceeded to address healthcare and cap & trade in between vacations. He appointed an economic panel (how much did that cost us?) then proceeded to ignore its recommendations because they didn't agree with his idea of spend, baby, spend. He has not produced any tangible plan for reduction of government spending, and seems more content with creating additional government bureaucracy and expense by adding more czars, committees, grants and "incentives" and entitlements, then dictating that the wealthy, minus his Dem buddies like Mr Facebook, will have to pay for all of it. But you are right when you say "we need serious people to solve" the serious problems. I'm just wondering how long it will take Obama to stop saying it is all Bush's fault and come up with a plan to reduce spending.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Feb 27, 2013
cvillemom wrote:
the Dems and Obama doing is continuing to spend money like it grows on trees
http://economistsview.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834...
Working Mom

Bethpage, NY

#8 Feb 28, 2013
cvillemom wrote:
Glad its not your job on the line with "unnecessary"spendin g.
Trouble Organizing

San Antonio, TX

#9 Feb 28, 2013
Why didn't Mr. Warner and HIS party get off their butts and pass a budget for the last four years? We wouldn't be in this mess if Senate Democrats would do what is required of them by law, and, of course if we had actual LEADERSHIP in the White House. This is not a game of hoops, Mr. Prezzy.
Trouble Organizing

San Antonio, TX

#10 Feb 28, 2013
Working Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Even WITH these sequester cuts we will be spending MORE than we did last year. These are NOT cuts--they are a smaller increase in spending. If we can't even do a 2-3% cut as a nation--God help us all! China will one day own and operate America. We are a nation of uninformed, undisciplined, and selfish idiots.
Trouble Organizing

San Antonio, TX

#11 Feb 28, 2013
cvillemom wrote:
@Hmmm- the sequester is Obama's. And yes I realize that we have bigger problems than the sequester, but it is Obama whose sole talking point is fear-mongering that we will all melt away come March 1. Now, if you want to talk about the deficit or the national debt or the economy, there is plenty of blame to go around, past and present. But it is time to address those monumental problems, our country is broke, bankrupt from now until the forseeable future, and all I see the Dems and Obama doing is continuing to spend money like it grows on trees. He took office when the economy was in the tank, threw a stimulus at it, declared it fixed (oh, brother! reminded me of Bush landing the aircraft on the carrier and declaring the war over) then ignored it for months as the cost of foreign military action continued to rise and while he proceeded to address healthcare and cap & trade in between vacations. He appointed an economic panel (how much did that cost us?) then proceeded to ignore its recommendations because they didn't agree with his idea of spend, baby, spend. He has not produced any tangible plan for reduction of government spending, and seems more content with creating additional government bureaucracy and expense by adding more czars, committees, grants and "incentives" and entitlements, then dictating that the wealthy, minus his Dem buddies like Mr Facebook, will have to pay for all of it. But you are right when you say "we need serious people to solve" the serious problems. I'm just wondering how long it will take Obama to stop saying it is all Bush's fault and come up with a plan to reduce spending.
--------
Unfortunately, it will never happen. Obama doesn't have the guts to make responsible decisions for this country. He is too busy playing cheap and childish political games at the expense of our future.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Feb 28, 2013
Trouble Organizing wrote:
<quoted text>
Even WITH these sequester cuts we will be spending MORE than we did last year.
http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/spending_...
Just Checking

Falls Church, VA

#13 Feb 28, 2013
Warner said, "but it's frankly an embarrassment that we're down to the eleventh hour and these cuts are still looming."

EXACTLY!!!!
cvillemom

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Feb 28, 2013
Working Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not so sure that it won't affect my job, and I am sorry if you will be one of the ones who are cut if your job is truly vital to our society. But instead of laying off air traffic controllers, first responders and teachers, why not lay off one or two of Obama's czars (which our country never needed for 200+ yrs until he took office) or how about some of the 20+ personal staff that Michelle needs to get dressed and organized every day? How about some of the White House and congressional aides whose jobs amount to little more than getting coffee and forwarding emails? The US spent tons of money on frivolous things when we really didn't have the money for it, like researching whether playing Farmville on Facebook helps people make friends, and now it is time to suck it up and tighten our belts. It is terrible that some very important jobs will be eliminated, but we are all guilty of not reining in spending years ago.
central va marine

Moneta, VA

#15 Feb 28, 2013
I am amazed at the financial wizards contributing to this story, and all the while remaking history. That "Muther" spewing off has to much time on her hands setting at home eating bon_bons while no doubt her husband is out working 2 jobs to support her.

And others complaining without checking their facts. To help you a bit, why not go to the White House web site and read the White House proposal. It contains a lot of last years Repuglican Ideas. It is just not acceptable because President Obama endorsed them.

There's much more, but as you sit around contemplating your navel, tell me why it is both of our Senators are at least speaking up, while Eric is once again blaming our President for everything, and wall flower Robert is complaining about unemployment in his 5th District, when the Repuglican approved (John Baanor said he got 98% of what he wanted and was satisfied with the sequster) action is going to cause 750,000 Government Employees to lose 20% of their income beginning in 2 weeks.

Tell me more about the conservative fantasied, they make good reading.

more to come
Hmmmmm

Harrisonburg, VA

#16 Feb 28, 2013
cvillemom wrote:
I read it the first time you boiled everything down to Omaba's fault. So I'm not sure why you just decided to restate it all. I get it. You - along with all the rest of the ideological, partisan bickerers - somehow think that being a citizen means standing around pointing fingers of blame. These kinds of stories are always oversimplified realities constructed around ideology, and its a waste of time to do it. Actually, I think it more than a waste of time. I think it is harmful. As such I will not take apart your post for how it concocts and ideological picture of reality.

Imagine two people standing in a burning house. One is holding a gas can. The other is holding a match. Each is pointing and yelling at the other that it is their fault. That is what our congress-persons and exec branch are doing right now. You are participating. If you somehow think this is an intelligent way to go about dealing with our issues, then fine. The house will burn down while you argue about whose fault it is.

And btw, if, for you, it all boils down to the fact that we really need to reduce govt spending, then I'm wondering why you wouldn't be more inclined to assign Obama "credit" and just say "thanks" rather than "blame" him. But that's a rhetorical question b/c I doubt that you will have anything productive to say in response.

“Equal Opportunity Not Results!”

Since: Nov 08

Charlottesville

#17 Feb 28, 2013
Working Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
No ones job would be on the line if our dear leader would cut out waste and fraud like he said he would. But he'd rather scare American citizens in order to get his agenda further down the road. Clinton tried the same tactic in 1995 with the government shut down. Guess what? No one noticed anything had happened. I love low information voters like you who believe Obama when he parades a bunch of cops behind him and tells us that the sequester would cause cops to loose their jobs. However cops aren't funded by the federal government.

All hail to the liar in chief!
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Feb 28, 2013
C-Ville Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>No ones job would be on the line if our dear leader would cut out waste and fraud like he said he would. But he'd rather scare American citizens in order to get his agenda further down the road. Clinton tried the same tactic in 1995 with the government shut down. Guess what? No one noticed anything had happened. I love low information voters like you who believe Obama when he parades a bunch of cops behind him and tells us that the sequester would cause cops to loose their jobs. However cops aren't funded by the federal government.
All hail to the liar in chief!
the cops were law enforcement from fbi and homeland security, not local police

http://www.federaltimes.com/article/20130219/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Senator Tim Kaine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clinton's Dem foes say voters need choices Apr 13 Deo Vindice 7
News GOP to offer budget blueprint with Medicare, fo... Apr 7 goonsquad 112
News Sunday Talk Preview: Jordan Joins Fight Feb '15 Le Jimbo 2
News Paul, Kerry spar over Islamic State, war powers Dec '14 Grubered out 8
News U.S. Congress to revisit Islamic State war deba... Nov '14 barefoot2626 19
News Obama to defend airstrikes at U.N. as Syrians s... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Hoogle 4
News Time's up? Dem senator plans bill on Syria stri... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Monty Anaconda 5
More from around the web