Federal judge throws out RNC police raid lawsuit

A U.S. district court judge has dismissed a lawsuit by a St. Paul man who sued police officers for entering and searching his duplex a day before the Republican National Convention in 2008. Full Story
Mad Viking

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Aug 10, 2010
Mike, it's about time you grew up. By the way, whatever happened to dental school?
Judy

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Aug 10, 2010
This judge always give preference to the government regardless of what the facts and evidence are.
Pizza Man

Hastings, MN

#3 Aug 10, 2010
This pretty much settles it.

Liberals have to resort to street violence to get their point across like they did in St. Paul in 2008.

What a horrible, inhumane political philosophy they carry.
Walter

Hopkins, MN

#4 Aug 10, 2010
There is nothing ... NOTHING ... more pathetic than a shriveled old 60s hippie living in the past.

Whalen is a lifelong punk and a miserable loser.
Not Your Way

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Aug 10, 2010
Too bad for the progressive activist. Now maybe he can become something productive. But, that is difficult for a deluded, arrogant leftwingnut.
alphamale

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#7 Aug 10, 2010
throw this idoit in jail for wasting the courts time with stupid lawsuits.
Radicals

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Aug 10, 2010
Walter wrote:
There is nothing ... NOTHING ... more pathetic than a shriveled old 60s hippie living in the past.
Arise! Bookstore (Minneapolis) and RNC Welcoming Committee Extend Solidarity to Sara Jane Olson

Sunday, April 06 2008

Contributed by: Arise!

The RNC Welcoming Committee and the Arise! Books and Resources Collective would like to extend their sympathies and solidarity to former St. Paul resident Sara Jane Olson and her family. While some call into question the actions of the Symbionese Liberation Army, the only way to avoid criticism is to remain silent, and so we find the words and actions of the SLA inspirational. The everyday violence of the state, of which the murder of several SLA members was only a part, is immense. Sara Jane Olson spent and continues to spend her life in accordance with her conscience, bravely resisting systems of oppression. We regard her a hero and history will as well.

Between her involvement in the SLA and her arrest in 1999, Olson contributed immensely to radical and progressive causes, including being a founding member of the Arise! Books and Resources Center in south Minneapolis. She demonstrated that the vast majority of work undertaken by even the most militant radicals is nonviolent and community-focused, manifesting a diversity of tactics and strategies for radical change. As a compassionate and caring mother, wife and organizer in the Twin Cities, she shattered the demonizing media and government stereotype of radical activists, replacing a false impression of blind anger with an embodiment of righteous love.

It is clear that Sara Jane Olson's re-arrest was prompted by pressure from police unions and the political right. It is also painfully obvious that the state never takes such action under similar pressure from the communities most directly affected by the prison industrial complex. Therefore, it is vitally important for the radical and progressive community to support Sara Jane, realizing that an attack on one member of our movement is an attack on all of us. As we in Minnesota prepare to create our vision of resistance and direct democracy during the spectacle of the Republican National Convention this September and beyond, we will carry on Sara Jane's struggle and choose solidarity over divisiveness.

If there is any way our work can benefit the Olson/Peterson family, it would be an honor.
http://news.infoshop.org/article.php...
Innefective

Maple Grove, MN

#10 Aug 10, 2010
The palintiff should appeal this cased based on the Lee ruling of innefective counsel. Juts do a kou Lee and beg for forgiveness based on inefective counsel.
Kenny

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Aug 10, 2010
"But U.S. District Judge Joan Ericksen dismissed the lawsuit by granting a request for summary judgment from the defendants. She wrote in her ruling that none of Whalen's claims had any legal merit."

This says it all. He should be held responsible for all of the costs of this lawsuit.
hypocrisies abound

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Aug 10, 2010
It is amazing and sickening that so many right-wingers come out in support of man's constitutional rights being compromised simply because they do not agree with his positions. Mudsling, slander, and name-call all you want, but realize your own hypocrisy the next time you protest a liberal program with the constitution as your basis! It's typical though--for conservatives, life is about the me and about how any situation can be spun in which the me benefits more than any dissenting individual or group. Why should the rights protected by the First and Fourth Amendments be reserved for Whalen? Because he is a veteran, an American citizen, and a human being. In the eyes of you all, he is simply a "dirty stinking hippie", a "deluded, arrogant leftwingnut", and a "lawless, hippie scum." So, therefore, the police ought to be able to enter his home, his property, without warrants or probably cause of ANY sort? WHERE DOES THIS HYPOCRITICAL FANTASYLAND END?
Kenny

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Aug 10, 2010
hypocrisies abound wrote:
It is amazing and sickening that so many right-wingers come out in support of man's constitutional rights being compromised simply because they do not agree with his positions. Mudsling, slander, and name-call all you want, but realize your own hypocrisy the next time you protest a liberal program with the constitution as your basis! It's typical though--for conservatives, life is about the me and about how any situation can be spun in which the me benefits more than any dissenting individual or group. Why should the rights protected by the First and Fourth Amendments be reserved for Whalen? Because he is a veteran, an American citizen, and a human being. In the eyes of you all, he is simply a "dirty stinking hippie", a "deluded, arrogant leftwingnut", and a "lawless, hippie scum." So, therefore, the police ought to be able to enter his home, his property, without warrants or probably cause of ANY sort? WHERE DOES THIS HYPOCRITICAL FANTASYLAND END?
There is a forum just for you it is called the St. Paul Issues Forum and in Minneapolis they have the Minneapolis Issues Forum. This is where like minded individuals such as yourself go to bash conservatives. This is Take Action Minnesota's favorite place to vent along with 950 AM
The Hard Truth

Northome, MN

#16 Aug 11, 2010
This particular forum has brought out more angry "momma's basement" boys proportionately than most any other. What's with the "hippie" reference? Why not call him a Wobblie or a Fellow Traveler, except that those words aren't in the lexicon of the beer roarers. Fact is, you don't allow break ins of people's houses, no matter what the persuasion. Jerks of every political stripe are, necessarily, given the protection of the law so that we remain a nation of laws equally applied.

The sad legacy of the Bush years is that people with confuse their angry opinions with legal right. I know it seems like a dead horse, but Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney did great harm to democratic principles by twisting (or ignoring) all laws to fit their own political agenda.

Hear me well now: I don't know Mr. Whalen from the oak tree in the front yard. He may have bad teeth, seem like a welfare using old "hippie", and harbor low lives in his house. But you still need a warrant and you still need due process. I find this ruling disturbing.
One Two Three

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Aug 11, 2010
The Hard Truth wrote:
This particular forum has brought out more angry "momma's basement" boys proportionately than most any other. What's with the "hippie" reference? Why not call him a Wobblie or a Fellow Traveler, except that those words aren't in the lexicon of the beer roarers. Fact is, you don't allow break ins of people's houses, no matter what the persuasion. Jerks of every political stripe are, necessarily, given the protection of the law so that we remain a nation of laws equally applied.
The sad legacy of the Bush years is that people with confuse their angry opinions with legal right. I know it seems like a dead horse, but Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney did great harm to democratic principles by twisting (or ignoring) all laws to fit their own political agenda.
Hear me well now: I don't know Mr. Whalen from the oak tree in the front yard. He may have bad teeth, seem like a welfare using old "hippie", and harbor low lives in his house. But you still need a warrant and you still need due process. I find this ruling disturbing.
The lawsuit was thrown out because it was unfounded.
Kirkman

Hastings, MN

#18 Aug 13, 2010
Walter wrote:
You said it! You can find plenty of these old fcks groveling at the feet Muslims over on Riverside Plaza.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ted Stevens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Senator Begich pulls campaign commercial using ... Sep 4 Monty Ananconda 1
Conspiracy Theory Target HAARP May Be Shut Down Aug 29 Believer 2
U.S. Postal Service losing tens of millions ann... Jul '14 Grow Conservatism 16
HAARP project winding down: Was it all a huge c... May '14 not Angels harps 1
Secret Weapon? Conspiracy Theories Abound as US... May '14 not Angels harps 1
Justice Dept. prosecutor commits suicide while ... (Sep '10) Apr '14 yes - Im HAPPY NO... 24
Toxic exposure in asbestos case (May '09) Apr '14 mike crill 32
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Ted Stevens People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••