Convicted Alaska Lawmakers Should Be Freed, U.S. Says

Jun 5, 2009 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.bloomberg.com

Two imprisoned Alaska ex-legislators should be released and their convictions reconsidered because prosecutors withheld information from their lawyers, the U.S. Justice Department said.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Duh Vinci

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

Judged:

This is a set up...
OMG

Hortense, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

...were they republicans?
OMG

Hortense, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

...ah YES.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

Judged:

OMG wrote:
...ah YES.
go figure.
Lance Winslow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

Durn mavericky Alaskan prosecuters.
just thinking out loud

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

I would have to say there are a lot of people in the prison system, that were screwed by DA's and judges, Hell let them all out!
progressive

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

Judged:

Lance Winslow wrote:
Durn mavericky Alaskan prosecuters.
Very funny - but do we know who these prosecutors were, and were they in Alaska or Washington DC? One assumes that the prosecutors were Republicans too, and Bush appointees, but do we know that? Not Democrats - but maybe so-called non-partisan? Inquiring minds want to know who they were. I saw some of that secretly taped footage on tV, during reports on the alaska scandals and that guy - Bill Allen, or whomever. My complaint is that the prosecutors did not get the evidence on Congressman Don Young, whom I suspect of a quid pro quo of an earmark, for a political contribution. If we could get him, and have to let some mediocre Democrat who did something similar also get booted out of Congress, or even prosecuted if he did something criminal, that's OK with me. That's what primaries are for - to get a better one within one's own political party. I don't even care if Murtha goes, or if Jane Harmon goes in California. I think she may have done some illegal stuff, also, and had it covered up by the Bush Administration, because she agreed with them on some important stuff. And I want Burris to be forced to "retire" "gracefully," in 2010. I listend to that phone call with Blago's brother, and he sounded so tacky! the audio is on cspan online.
progressive

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

Judged:

just thinking out loud wrote:
I would have to say there are a lot of people in the prison system, that were screwed by DA's and judges, Hell let them all out!
Anyone who wants a great documentation on that - read Barry Scheck's book, Actual Innocence. It is about the Innocence Project. At the end he has many good suggestions - some of which have been implemented, in some places. He wants to catch the real criminal, and prevent him from striking again - as well as to protect the innocent person who is accused. And he wants real justice for the past victim. I think most of all he wants prevention of further crimes, so others don't get injured or killed, because sloppy cops, labs, and/or prosecutors got the wrong guy convicted, and are too proud and stubborn to admit it, or even to allow a re-evaluation and testing of DNA with modern lab methods, in proper labs with proper handling of evidence. and Ues, that was part of his motive in the OJ case - to reveal to the world how sloppy the lab, cop, and prosecutor handling of evidence was - and to force them to clean up their act! There has been much further proof that his distrust of them applied in other cases as well.(My question about that case was always - what if they framed a guilty man?)
progressive

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2009

Judged:

Duh Vinci wrote:
This is a set up...
for what? you are always funnier than you are clear! I like the funny part, but I get curious what on earth you mean!
get real

Milledgeville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

progressive wrote:
<quoted text>Very funny - but do we know who these prosecutors were, and were they in Alaska or Washington DC? One assumes that the prosecutors were Republicans too, and Bush appointees, but do we know that? Not Democrats - but maybe so-called non-partisan? Inquiring minds want to know who they were.
Well, if you just read the article, you'd see the names of the prosecuters were listed...
"Four of the prosecutors involved in the Stevens case, Joseph Bottini, James Goeke, Nicholas Marsh and Edward Sullivan, were involved in the cases of Kott and Kohring, according to court records."
...since that may be too much info. for you, let me spell it out for you...

The prosecuters were: Joseph Bottini, James Goeke, Nicholas Marsh and Edward Sullivan.

As for your wrong assumptions, if you had an "inquiring mind" you would have googled to find answers.
----------

Here are the six, now under investigation for allegedly hiding evidence and witnesses from Stevensí defense attorneys:

* William Welch II, head of the Justice public integrity unit.

* Brenda Morris, lead prosecutor in the Stevens case.

* Nicholas Marsh, trial attorney.

* Edward Sullivan, trial attorney.

* Joseph Bottini, assistant U.S. attorney, Alaska.

* James Goeke, assistant U.S. attorney, Alaska.

"Democrats at top. It appears that Welch and Morris are longtime Democrats."

"Joseph W. Bottini was appointed in 1993 following the Clintons purge of all sitting U.S. Attorneys."

http://frankwarner.typepad.com/free_frank_war...
get real

Milledgeville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

I remember all the Left wingers who were gleefully certain of Ted Stevens guilt, in all of their narrow minded assumptions.

I remember those, such as myself, saying it was an election time setup - and the hate filled assaults from the Bigots of Liberalism.

NOW it is clear THEY are the wingnut extremists who are dangerously out of control of their senses.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ted Stevens Discussions

Search the Ted Stevens Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
U.S. Postal Service losing tens of millions ann... Jul 4 Grow Conservatism 16
HAARP project winding down: Was it all a huge c... May '14 not Angels harps 1
Secret Weapon? Conspiracy Theories Abound as US... May '14 not Angels harps 1
Conspiracy Theory Target HAARP May Be Shut Down May '14 your community 1
Justice Dept. prosecutor commits suicide while ... (Sep '10) Apr '14 yes - Im HAPPY NOW LOL 24
Toxic exposure in asbestos case (May '09) Apr '14 mike crill 32
How the Senate became the House, in 4 steps (Nov '13) Feb '14 Cat74 90
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••