Fed can't do much more to avoid a double dip

Aug 11, 2010 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.marketwatch.com

The U.S. economy is on the edge of the cliff, threatening to plunge back into ruinous recession, but the worst part is that Washington won't do anything to stop it.

Comments
1 - 20 of 27 Comments Last updated Aug 13, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Don Joe

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

Judged:

The article says no one wants to borrow, even at 0%. Come on, there are thousands of small businesses wanted to get started with no access to money.
Big Sully

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

Judged:

This is an agenda- It isn't supposed to stop.

We're supposed to believe that the best and brightest in this country can't forsee the trouble in the economy?

Is this what the average folk believe?

If I were to be on Iceberg watch, and we hit one, would you leave me in my post?
Only if sinking was the goal.

We need to abolish the fed- From the top of Bernanke's beard, down to the spot on Timmay's ass that Bernanke likes to put his lips on.

They should be abolished because-

1. any country that doesn't issue it's own money is easily controlled by the people that do.

2. The federal reserve is neither federal, nor do they reserve anything.

3. How many times do we have to hit that same ol' iceberg, and nobody get fired for it?

It'll hurt for a while- but paltry in comparison to what will happen after the dollar fails.
Revolt

Huntington, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

Judged:

The economic collapse, much like 9/11, was an inside job. The kosher bankers at the Fed want to steal everything you have through inflation while the scum in DC steal the rest through taxation. Secession is the only path to freedom.
www.secessionnews.com

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2010

Judged:

Don Joe wrote:
The article says no one wants to borrow, even at 0%. Come on, there are thousands of small businesses wanted to get started with no access to money.
it's a mr bill post ... what did you expect?
the truth?
john k

Eatontown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

extending bush tax cuts creates real money, not borrowed money. that in turn creates spending. no pushing on a string or push demand, but demand pull. the people can spend their own money better than the government.

Since: Aug 10

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Don Joe wrote:
There are businesses that may want to get started, but who starts a business in an economy where people can't or won't spend money? You need customers to have a successful business. The average American who frequents small businesses doesn't have extra money to spend. They also are looking for the best deals - deals most often found in large corporate companies or chain stores.

Borrowing money for anything right now, especially a business, is risky. Money is not flowing freely in this country so even large, established businesses are struggling. A new business hardly stands a change.
Don Joe

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

tidy catz wrote:
<quoted text>
There are businesses that may want to get started, but who starts a business in an economy where people can't or won't spend money? You need customers to have a successful business. The average American who frequents small businesses doesn't have extra money to spend. They also are looking for the best deals - deals most often found in large corporate companies or chain stores.
Borrowing money for anything right now, especially a business, is risky. Money is not flowing freely in this country so even large, established businesses are struggling. A new business hardly stands a change.
You do make a good point. However I am referring mostly to those innovators who will have markets. There are ways of reducing costs for things people are still buying. There are ways of reducing costs for medical supplies. There are ways of reducing costs so that people on a budget will purchase the lower cost items.

Innovation is a strength of Americans and there is plenty of it. The problem is it is not funded.

If it were funded, this is one help to get the economy turned around.

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
You do make a good point. However I am referring mostly to those innovators who will have markets. There are ways of reducing costs for things people are still buying. There are ways of reducing costs for medical supplies. There are ways of reducing costs so that people on a budget will purchase the lower cost items.
Innovation is a strength of Americans and there is plenty of it. The problem is it is not funded.
If it were funded, this is one help to get the economy turned around.
Remember that even businesses that buy from other businesses have clamped down on spending. Money has become tight except for a handful of large corporations and industries that continue to maintain fortunes and pay lofty bonuses.

Not too long ago I considered investing in a lawn service company. Startup wouldn't be too much, it would provide a job for my son and several of his friends who are struggling to find work, and I would have a business of my own.

I did some researching, and I discovered not near as many people are paying for lawn service as there were a few years ago. Even the office complex where I work has cut lawn service down to twice a month where it used to be once a week. Couple fewer customers with the number of services in the area and there's just not enough money to be made. If I took out a loan for equipment and start-up, I don't know that I'd make it in this economy.

For most Americans getting by is the name of the game these days, and I don't see anything really wrong with that. I think we went through a period of gluttony, but lots of folks have paid the price for that - losing homes they couldn't afford, credit card debt up to their eyeballs, etc. Maybe they've learned to live within their means now. They're learning to mow their own lawns, wash their own cars and save some money for a rainy day.

I know "small business" has become a sort of battle cry for stoking the economy, but one must have money to make money. Going into debt in this economic climate is not safe or smart unless someone has money to risk. If the business venture requires loan money then the chances are just too great right now that it could go belly-up and leave the owner facing bankruptcy.
Don Joe

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

tidy catz wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember that even businesses that buy from other businesses have clamped down on spending. Money has become tight except for a handful of large corporations and industries that continue to maintain fortunes and pay lofty bonuses.
Not too long ago I considered investing in a lawn service company. Startup wouldn't be too much, it would provide a job for my son and several of his friends who are struggling to find work, and I would have a business of my own.
I did some researching, and I discovered not near as many people are paying for lawn service as there were a few years ago. Even the office complex where I work has cut lawn service down to twice a month where it used to be once a week. Couple fewer customers with the number of services in the area and there's just not enough money to be made. If I took out a loan for equipment and start-up, I don't know that I'd make it in this economy.
For most Americans getting by is the name of the game these days, and I don't see anything really wrong with that. I think we went through a period of gluttony, but lots of folks have paid the price for that - losing homes they couldn't afford, credit card debt up to their eyeballs, etc. Maybe they've learned to live within their means now. They're learning to mow their own lawns, wash their own cars and save some money for a rainy day.
I know "small business" has become a sort of battle cry for stoking the economy, but one must have money to make money. Going into debt in this economic climate is not safe or smart unless someone has money to risk. If the business venture requires loan money then the chances are just too great right now that it could go belly-up and leave the owner facing bankruptcy.
I agree with your point. For most Americans it is simply not an option. Your further point that it has been part of the battle cry to improve the nation is a diversion to avoid looking at the real issues is equally valid.

It simply by itself is not sufficient.

My point was that there are a large number of small businesses which would help if funded. While I say large, I am speaking of a few thousand where hundreds of thousands are needed. I was speaking in opposition to the idea that there is money for businesses, when even if the business idea is sound there is no funding.

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with your point. For most Americans it is simply not an option. Your further point that it has been part of the battle cry to improve the nation is a diversion to avoid looking at the real issues is equally valid.
It simply by itself is not sufficient.
My point was that there are a large number of small businesses which would help if funded. While I say large, I am speaking of a few thousand where hundreds of thousands are needed. I was speaking in opposition to the idea that there is money for businesses, when even if the business idea is sound there is no funding.
I agree with you, but I'm not sure if giving money to businesses is the answer unless you have a program in place that ensures the money will be spent hiring employees, etc.

I had hoped the president would jump on a massive domestic project that create widespread employment. Something such as interstate high speed rail would create thousands of jobs in nearly every field, plus it would create jobs in cities all over the country once the rail was in. You would have stations, vendors, car rentals, etc.

The U.S. is ripe for a new mode of modern transportation. We are ripe for a project of huge proportions in this country. A massive project like this would have a great tickle down effect, it would put thousands of people to work in many different levels, and it would give a shot in the arm to the economy and morale of our nation. And once the government got the initial project started you would see investors coming out of the woodwork.

The government doesn't need to be handing out money to ANYONE, and that includes businesses. It needs to be creatively coming up with ideas that can stand alone and work in favor of the entire nation, not just a spot here or there.

Obama's been going at it all wrong. He has disappointed me greatly with this "jobs program" of his, but I'm not in his shoes so I don't know how much he can and cannot do. Maybe something like a high-speed rail system in America would upset the delicate balance of airline travel, and God knows we don't want to have subsidize the airlines anymore than we already have.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Don Joe wrote:
If those small businesses are going to the banks, they are not filing for, or getting loans.

Small businesses "getting started" have never had serious access to bank loans, because most of them fail, and don't pay their loans back; but only people who live in the real world know that.

Te article is not about your lemonaide stand, but about real businesses parking, rather than using monety, because they don't want to build up a surplus of goods.

How shallow and simple you lying neo-conservatives are.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

john k wrote:
extending bush tax cuts creates real money, not borrowed money. that in turn creates spending. no pushing on a string or push demand, but demand pull. the people can spend their own money better than the government.
Oh yeah, the "Bush policies" have already done so well, establishing businesses in India and Malaysia with American capital.

Bush's tax cuts have cost us Millions of American jobs lost forever.
Tony

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

o-bribe-a has ordered several more high speed printers for the Treasury Dept. to print more dollars faster.

They has not been able to keep up with the number of bailout bills he has been signing.
Don Joe

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

tidy catz wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you, but I'm not sure if giving money to businesses is the answer unless you have a program in place that ensures the money will be spent hiring employees, etc.
I had hoped the president would jump on a massive domestic project that create widespread employment. Something such as interstate high speed rail would create thousands of jobs in nearly every field, plus it would create jobs in cities all over the country once the rail was in. You would have stations, vendors, car rentals, etc.
The U.S. is ripe for a new mode of modern transportation. We are ripe for a project of huge proportions in this country. A massive project like this would have a great tickle down effect, it would put thousands of people to work in many different levels, and it would give a shot in the arm to the economy and morale of our nation. And once the government got the initial project started you would see investors coming out of the woodwork.
The government doesn't need to be handing out money to ANYONE, and that includes businesses. It needs to be creatively coming up with ideas that can stand alone and work in favor of the entire nation, not just a spot here or there.
Obama's been going at it all wrong. He has disappointed me greatly with this "jobs program" of his, but I'm not in his shoes so I don't know how much he can and cannot do. Maybe something like a high-speed rail system in America would upset the delicate balance of airline travel, and God knows we don't want to have subsidize the airlines anymore than we already have.
Again you are making very good points. Giving money to companies needs to be done carefully so that it doesn't end up like just more corporate welfare. I worked at a large corporation getting corporate welfare and I worked on lots of projects. Once the product was ready for production, the company dropped it and went after more corporate welfare.(I personally watched this for 20 years.)

I guess I am decrying the lack of funds to start businesses in the US, regardless of the source. The money needs to come from somewhere to implement the tremendous innovation.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Tony wrote:
o-bribe-a has ordered several more high speed printers for the Treasury Dept. to print more dollars faster.
They has not been able to keep up with the number of bailout bills he has been signing.
And only Bush to blame for creating the economin mess.
Big Sully

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Judged:

Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah, the "Bush policies" have already done so well, establishing businesses in India and Malaysia with American capital.
Bush's tax cuts have cost us Millions of American jobs lost forever.
Bill-
If you want to point a finger and blame at the guys that lost us the majority of jobs, point it no further to the assholes that gave us NAFTA and GATT- creating the sucking sound Perot was ridiculed about- remember that?

Remember Gore on TV- "This is a good deal larry"

I'm no Bush fan.... I think he was a bumbling puppet. Clinton was a former drug-running cokehead, Bushy senior... well, what can you say about that son-of-a nazi? Obama- is a dark-skinned, well spoken, teleprompter reading version of Bushy jr.

We need to flip the etch-a-sketch (District of Criminals) over, shake, and start fresh.
Ship these corrupters to a tiny island and let them go 'bohemian' on eachother.

They don't make descisions on our behalf- Why leave them employed to screw us?
News Skeptic

Canton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Obama closes curtain on transparency

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/col...
News Skeptic

Canton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Big Sully wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill-
If you want to point a finger and blame at the guys that lost us the majority of jobs, point it no further to the assholes that gave us NAFTA and GATT- creating the sucking sound Perot was ridiculed about- remember that?
I'm no Bush fan.... I think he was a bumbling puppet. Clinton was a former drug-running cokehead, Bushy senior... well, what can you say about that son-of-a nazi? Obama- is a dark-skinned, well spoken, teleprompter reading version of Bushy jr.
We need to flip the etch-a-sketch (District of Criminals) over, shake, and start fresh.
Obama = Super Bush !!!!!!!
News Skeptic

Canton, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
And only Bush to blame for creating the economin mess.
They don't have to print money anymore, they just mouse click it into existence. We have never printed that much money in the history of the USA.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Big Sully wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill-
I agree about NAFTA, and GATT; a disaster. Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama all share the blame. Obama should unilaterally abrogate the agreement.

It is the "permenant government" that wants these trade agreements.
Like it or not, it is the same people whom the right-wingers
(puppets) acuuse of controlling the "liberal press," which is in reality, the corporate mouthpiece.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ted Stevens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
U.S. Postal Service losing tens of millions ann... Jul '14 Grow Conservatism 16
HAARP project winding down: Was it all a huge c... May '14 not Angels harps 1
Secret Weapon? Conspiracy Theories Abound as US... May '14 not Angels harps 1
Conspiracy Theory Target HAARP May Be Shut Down May '14 your community 1
Justice Dept. prosecutor commits suicide while ... (Sep '10) Apr '14 yes - Im HAPPY NO... 24
Toxic exposure in asbestos case (May '09) Apr '14 mike crill 32
How the Senate became the House, in 4 steps (Nov '13) Feb '14 Cat74 90

Search the Ted Stevens Forum:
•••