All charges against Sen. Ted Stevens ...

All charges against Sen. Ted Stevens are dropped

There are 87 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 1, 2009, titled All charges against Sen. Ted Stevens are dropped. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Reporting from Washington - The Justice Department is dropping all charges against former Sen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Alex

Glen Ellyn, IL

#1 Apr 1, 2009
Laws are for the average taxpayer, not for the elite politicians. How DARE the prosecutors persecute a politician.
Glenn

United States

#2 Apr 1, 2009
Absolutely disgusting.
jaxon

Wilmette, IL

#3 Apr 1, 2009
Did Justice under Bush purposely withhold documents KNOWING that on appeal their boy would get off? One thing is for sure, these "incompetents" should be not only out of a job at Justice, but disbarred, or at least penalized.
Cryos

Eden Prairie, MN

#5 Apr 1, 2009
jaxon wrote:
Did Justice under Bush purposely withhold documents KNOWING that on appeal their boy would get off? One thing is for sure, these "incompetents" should be not only out of a job at Justice, but disbarred, or at least penalized.
Actually it looks like it would have been a hard case to win if they released all evidence.
Of course people point to Bush but ask yourself; which political party benefitted most from getting a guilty verdict before the elections?
Louis - Downers Grove IL

Elmhurst, IL

#7 Apr 1, 2009
"Holder worked closely with the trial judge in the case, Emmet Sullivan, when both sat on the District of Columbia bench years ago. He is said to have great espect for the judge who held Justice attorneys in the Stevens case in contempt of court."

This is a newspaper with out a spell checker - espect?
Sick of Corruption

United States

#8 Apr 1, 2009
Good ol boys network alive and well. The judge who threw this out should be investigated. Must also be on the payroll for the goodies and free home improvement services.
No One Important

Wayne, IL

#9 Apr 1, 2009
Apparently the misconduct on the part of the prosecutors was so egregious, that it was better to just let the matter drop.

If the case against Stevens was so clear cut, then why the shennanigans by the prosecutors?

Unless it WASN'T as clear cut, and the trial was so completely jury mandered, that it would be sustainable on appeal.

Fire all of them.
Dave

Elkhorn, WI

#10 Apr 1, 2009
Wow once again it just so happens that someone with pull gets out of a situation that regular people would be railroaded on. If I fail to pay $20 on my taxes I can go to jail, but a politician that gets hundreds of thousands of dollars from an oil exec. well that can be overlooked. The American (little guys) are getting sick of grabbing their ankles and saying ahh.
Full disclosure

Springfield, IL

#11 Apr 1, 2009
Cryos wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it looks like it would have been a hard case to win if they released all evidence.
Of course people point to Bush but ask yourself; which political party benefitted most from getting a guilty verdict before the elections?
Bingo, Bush would have forced the info to be released resulting in a dismissal and a Steven's reelection. Common sense reasoning isn't strong among liberals on here....
Huh

Huntley, IL

#12 Apr 1, 2009
Dave wrote:
Wow once again it just so happens that someone with pull gets out of a situation that regular people would be railroaded on. If I fail to pay $20 on my taxes I can go to jail, but a politician that gets hundreds of thousands of dollars from an oil exec. well that can be overlooked. The American (little guys) are getting sick of grabbing their ankles and saying ahh.
Wow, you are lucky. Typically I don't even have enough time to say ahh.
Full disclosure

Springfield, IL

#13 Apr 1, 2009
Dave wrote:
Not true, failure to pay taxes rarely results in jail time unless it is repetitive, willful, conspiratorial and for a significant amount of money. Also, little people get off all the time. Every time one does and commits another crime people on here want to scream that a travesty of justice occurred. Then in this occassion we hear only the big guys get off. People need to et their stories straight.....
high school teacher

Hartford, CT

#14 Apr 1, 2009
another slimeball walks away consequence free.
KAG

Midlothian, IL

#15 Apr 1, 2009
What we don't know is if Stevens is an innocent man wrongly accused or merely a lucky one who got off on a technicality?

If it's the former, does he get paid back for narrowly losing his Senate election? If it's the latter, why not prosecute him again?
Dave

Chicago, IL

#16 Apr 1, 2009
Cryos wrote:
If you say Stevens is still guilty then you must feel the same about Obama. Obama got a slumlord to help buy his house by contributing $400K for useless property. Obama got off on a technicality.
Obama got off on a technicality? What was he ever charged with? What is the technicality that allowed him to get off? Ignorant Republican drivel.
Neal

Carol Stream, IL

#17 Apr 1, 2009
How convenient
Chilled Out

United States

#18 Apr 1, 2009
Neal wrote:
How convenient
Indeed! The libs pull off another criminal act
and will be praised by the late night morons!
Chilled Out

United States

#19 Apr 1, 2009
high school teacher wrote:
another slimeball walks away consequence free.
Which liberal are you referring to?
Rick

Des Plaines, IL

#20 Apr 1, 2009
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama got off on a technicality? What was he ever charged with? What is the technicality that allowed him to get off? Ignorant Republican drivel.
Just wait. Tony Rezko was convicted last year, but not yet sentenced. Which means he is still talking to the Feds to lighten his sentence. Stay tuned all you dreamers that think Osama Barama is the only honest politician in IL. He is as guilty as the rest.
Dave

Elkhorn, WI

#21 Apr 1, 2009
Oh I get it it's April Fools day....right...please.
Cryos

Eden Prairie, MN

#22 Apr 1, 2009
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
I supposed "got off on a technicality" was the wrong phrase.

Obama WASN'T CHARGED SINCE having a slumlord get you $400K off a house in the way they did technically wasn't illegal. The principle is the same however.

If you are railing against Stevens for accepting gifts totalling $80K (not 250K apparently) but you excuse Obama for taking $400K from a slumlord who built slums in his district you are a hopeless partisan liberal tool.

However I wouldn't expect any less from liberals. Look at the GM thing. Republicans said GM should go into bankruptcy 2 months ago and liberals screamed bloody murder. The republicans were "traitors," GM was "too big to fail" and republicans wanted to destroy the country.

Now Obama says bankruptcy is ok and now liberals are fawning over how great of an idea it is.

At least republicans are more consistent (during the Bush years they lost basic fiscal principles though) and opposed bailouts regardless of which president requested them. Liberal sheep are so caught up in naive utopia they can't see facts right in front of their face.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ted Stevens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Alaska is Now Purple (Oct '16) Oct '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News University of Alaska Fairbanks to take over fab... (May '16) May '16 USA these days 1
News Alaska Gov. Walker downsizes Washington, D.C., ... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Sarin Palin 1
News Sen. Menendez Bribery Case Heats Up With New Ju... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Le Jimbo 13
News Senator Begich pulls campaign commercial using ... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Monty Ananconda 1
News Conspiracy Theory Target HAARP May Be Shut Down (May '14) Aug '14 Believer 2
News U.S. Postal Service losing tens of millions ann... (Jun '14) Jul '14 Grow Conservatism 16
More from around the web