Immigration reform still has a shot this year

There are 20 comments on the The Miami Herald story from Jun 8, 2014, titled Immigration reform still has a shot this year. In it, The Miami Herald reports that:

When the president does it, that means it is not illegal," said Richard Nixon to David Frost in a celebrated post-impeachment interview that the former president thought would clear his name.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Miami Herald.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Apr 09

small town

#1 Jun 8, 2014
Need to ENFORCE the IMMIGRANTION LAWS!!
When will the madness Stop! We need to Protect these illegal immigrants and their children! SO let make ICE do their JOB and DEPORT all these poor illegal immigrants and their children back to whatever country they came FROM. CONFISCATE ALL their WORLDLY POSSESSIONS and Sale their Possessions at Public Auction and use the Money to Help Pay for Social services for Legal Immigrants and United States Citizens. Deport more of these poor illegal immigrants Back to their Homeland Broke. That way it will discourage them to Stay at their Homeland, People not to come to United States without PROPER PAPERS. Illegal immigrants and their children ARE costing United States Taxpayers BILLIONS of Dollars. People who support illegal immigrants and their children Need to support these people in their own Homeland.

“Groooovin'”

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#2 Jun 8, 2014
YEP. And NOW they Wanna GET a Driver's License!!!

WOW!!

Could Anyone Imagine HOW this would turn out??

They obtain a Driver's License, Accident happens, land in jail..WHAT happens NEXT??

their country DEMANDS their Release..

Negations get Hot and Heavy..

WHAT DO YA DO???

Perhaps this is an EXAGGERATED Circumstance..

BUT, WHAT if it ISN'T???

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#3 Jun 9, 2014
Three Decades of Mass Immigration

The Legacy of the 1965 Immigration Act

http://www.cis.org/articles/1995/back395.pdf

Hart-Celler Act hearings 1965 Quote:

Senate immigration subcommittee chairman Edward Kennedy (D-MA.) reassured his colleagues and the nation with the following:

"First, our cities will not be flooded with a million immigrants
annually.

Under the proposed bill, the present level of immigration
remains substantially the same ...

Secondly, the ethnic mix of this
country will not be upset ...

Contrary to the charges in some quarters,
[the bill] will not inundate America with immigrants from any one
country or area, or the most populated and deprived nations of Africa
and Asia ...

In the final analysis, the ethnic pattern of immigration
under the proposed measure is not expected to change as sharply as the
critics seem to think."

Sen. Kennedy concluded by saying,

"The bill will not flood our cities with immigrants. It will not upset
the ethnic mix of our society.

It will not relax the standards of
admission.

It will not cause American workers to lose their jobs."

(U.S. Senate, Subcommittee on Immigration and Naturalization of the Committee
on the Judiciary, Washington, D.C., Feb. 10, 1965. pp. 1-3.)

Since: Apr 09

small town

#4 Jun 10, 2014
Texas Republicans have abandoned a guest-worker program and taken a harder position on illegal immigration in their party platform.

The platform adopted Saturday also borrows from some positions State Sen. Dan Patrick, the Republican lieutenant governor nominee, has listed on his website.

Listen

0:14

Patrick on Hispanics and illegal immigration.

The platform, like Patrick, calls for repealing in-state tuition for undocumented students who graduated from Texas high schools. It would ban sanctuary cities and increase the number of border security officers.

Patrick, the party nominee for lieutenant governor, told delegates the platform won’t keep Hispanics from voting Republican as Democrats have claimed.

“Mexican-Americans, all Hispanics want the same things you want. They want a secure border,” Patrick told some 8,000 Republicans gathered at the convention in Fort Worth.

“We’re not against legal immigration; we’re against illegal immigration and so are millions of Hispanic Americans,” he said.

Patrick called his Democratic opponent, Leticia Van de Putte, a San Antonio state senator,“a nice lady who’s wrong on the issues.”
Cuauhtemotzin

United States

#5 Jun 10, 2014
Cricket 23 wrote:
Three Decades of Mass Immigration
)
"With this pen, I hereby grant complete and full amnesty to 10 million new citizens"

-Presidente Ronald Reagan, 1986.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#6 Jun 10, 2014
Petal Power wrote:
YEP. And NOW they Wanna GET a Driver's License!!!
WOW!!
Could Anyone Imagine HOW this would turn out??
They obtain a Driver's License, Accident happens, land in jail..WHAT happens NEXT??
their country DEMANDS their Release..
Negations get Hot and Heavy..
WHAT DO YA DO???
Perhaps this is an EXAGGERATED Circumstance..
BUT, WHAT if it ISN'T???
No, instead we should let undocumented immigrants drive around without licenses, so that any accidents they may cause are untraceable. That makes a lot more sense, doesn't it?
MegaRed

Carmel, IN

#7 Jun 10, 2014
Well say woof. Here's a novel idea. Let's start deporting their illegal border jumping azzes? What say woof? Let's deport all of those would be future hispanic dimoRAATic voters if they were ever amnestied.

Location hidden

#8 Jun 10, 2014
MegaRed wrote:
Well say woof. Here's a novel idea. Let's start deporting their illegal border jumping azzes? What say woof? Let's deport all of those would be future hispanic dimoRAATic voters if they were ever amnestied.
Why is this so important to you?
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#9 Jun 10, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Why is this so important to you?
It is most likely important to any American who cares about the future of this country. Any intelligent person would understand that allowing an influx of broom pushers and toilet swabbers into the country would place an undue financial burden on the productive American citizens.
Ga Girl 56

Roswell, GA

#10 Jun 10, 2014
Both parties have been culpable in this thru out many decades. What we need to be finding out is why. In the beginning was it to help big business lower salary cost to increase their profits. The ones that give or did give lots of campaign money to candidates. Anybody got any other suggestions about why they have done this. I can't believe that all of them could not see what would develop. Maybe they didn't see the backlash of the crime that would follow it in. I don't know. It's beyond my comprehension. Maybe they just didn't and don't to this day care.

Location hidden

#11 Jun 10, 2014
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
It is most likely important to any American who cares about the future of this country. Any intelligent person would understand that allowing an influx of broom pushers and toilet swabbers into the country would place an undue financial burden on the productive American citizens.
You mean an influx of people doing jobs no one else wants to do. Since there is evidence that undocumented immigrants have, if anything, been a help to our economy, I would ask you to supply the evidence to prove your claim that these "pushers" and "swabbers" have placed a financial burden on us.
John n Chuck

Phoenix, AZ

#12 Jun 10, 2014
again & again;)
Ga Girl 56

Roswell, GA

#13 Jun 10, 2014
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
The biggest issue right now is who is going to pay for the education of all this kids. With the advantage of a fairly good education thru high school an with grades needed to enter college then we are again looking at legal American kids being even further down the list for any money available to help them further their education. Even those that wish to go to a trade school. Sheesh, the list just goes on and on.
sandy1

New City, NY

#14 Jun 10, 2014
Here's a simple solution. Secure the border,enforce existing laws(which the anti American in chief is refusing to do),shoot the diseased vermin on sight,and the most important part is oust any scumbag politician who is pro Amnesty. See,that's not so hard. Problem solved!!

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#15 Jun 10, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>You mean an influx of people doing jobs no one else wants to do. Since there is evidence that undocumented immigrants have, if anything, been a help to our economy, I would ask you to supply the evidence to prove your claim that these "pushers" and "swabbers" have placed a financial burden on us.
Proof:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-e...

http://www.treasury.gov/tigta/auditreports/20...
Cuauhtemotzin

United States

#16 Jun 10, 2014
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm will bet that probably almost all of your ancestors that emigrated to America was a broom pusher or laborer of some kind. They were allowed to stay and their descendants became educated and became productive. The undocumented will/are no different.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#18 Jun 10, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>You mean an influx of people doing jobs no one else wants to do. Since there is evidence that undocumented immigrants have, if anything, been a help to our economy, I would ask you to supply the evidence to prove your claim that these "pushers" and "swabbers" have placed a financial burden on us.
The most insightful study remains one done by the National Research Council in 1997. It gauged federal, state and local fiscal costs and contributions over the lifetime of an immigrant in 1996 dollars. Citizen children were included.

The study found that an immigrant high school dropout -- which characterizes nearly half of today's unauthorized people -- received $89,000 more in services than he paid in taxes in his life. But an immigrant with at least some college -- a quarter of today's unauthorized -- gave $105,000 more than he got. For the high school graduates left, those who arrived during their teens or earlier were slightly profitable for the government, while the children of those who arrived later paid off the small deficit of their parents.
Aphelion

Melbourne, FL

#19 Jun 10, 2014
Cuauhtemotzin wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm will bet that probably almost all of your ancestors that emigrated to America was a broom pusher or laborer of some kind. They were allowed to stay and their descendants became educated and became productive. The undocumented will/are no different.
They came here legally that is the difference. But then the law is of no concern to the illegal invaders who seek only to take and give nothing in return. I'm sure this describes your ancestors.

Location hidden

#23 Jun 10, 2014
Bama Yankee wrote:
I give no credence to anything from The washington Times, but I did review your other two links. The findings were startling, but strictly the fault of IRS rules. Illegal immigration would have no such impact on our economy or our taxpayers were it not for flaws in this agency.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#24 Jun 10, 2014
Cuauhtemotzin wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't speak for Aphelion but will speak for myself since you seem to think all Americans are descended from broom pushers.

On my mother's side of the family my ancestors landed in 1739, bought 640 acres of Penn's Woods and became very successful farmers.

On my father's side, my ancestors landed in 1816 in Western Pennsylvania and were very successful business owners.

I had ancestors that fought in the Revolutionary War, and later others that fought in the Civil War. I'm proud to be an American.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Senator Ted Cruz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clinton campaign blasts GOP abortion bill 36 min serfs up 24
News The Presidential Bid Of Ted Cruz, The Reddest M... 58 min Tazo 1
News Look who's speaking Spanish: It's the 2016 Repu... 16 hr Mothra 40
News Ted Cruz on Mitt Romney: 'Where he got clobbere... 19 hr Tazo 1
News Ted Cruz: Obama has 'inflamed racial tensions' Sat Who Guessed it 7
News Warren: Ted Cruz has no shot to be prez, but is... Sat swedenforever 236
News Cruz, eight Texas reps urge justices to let sta... Fri Eugene 2
More from around the web