Announcement Of A New, State Of The A...

Announcement Of A New, State Of The Art Addition To UAHuntsville

There are 2 comments on the WHNT News 19 story from May 20, 2010, titled Announcement Of A New, State Of The Art Addition To UAHuntsville. In it, WHNT News 19 reports that:

A major announcement at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. The President of UAHuntsville and Governor Bob Riley announced plans to build a $25 million research and engineering center.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHNT News 19.

Anonymouse

Anniston, AL

#1 May 20, 2010
Good to see new improvements coming to UAH, but what happened to the school being in so much trouble financially that they had to cut back and combine Liberal Arts and Sciences into 1 school? I see the money isn't coming from the University's budget, but it will ultimately end up being a part of the system's budget once it is complete...What should we expect, more tuition hikes? Wouldn't surprise me considering its an improvement to the school and its already known to be a very good University as far as aerospace engineering goes at least. One of the top aerospace engineering schools in the country, if not the top. Congrats again.
UAH Student

Tampa, FL

#2 May 20, 2010
I think it is absolutely wonderful that this center is coming to UAH. However, all that has been concerned about for the past few years at school is expand, profit, expand, profit. Where do the faculty and students come in to this picture? Budget cuts, tuition and fee hikes just to name a few things. What about the EDUCATION factor? Isn't that what this school is publicly funded for? E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N not P-R-O-F-I-T. The priorities at this school are warped beyond belief. The state is CUTTING funding for certain grants meant for students to help them afford tuition - BUT THEY CAN SUPPORT EXPANSION. When the interest of monetary concerns becomes more important than educational success, no state of the art facility is going to help this community. Not the true common members of this community, anyways. Not the students. Not the faculty. Again, this will be a wonderful addition to the school but it still hurts me profoundly to see the priorities set by this school and even the state, and that no one cares enough to intervene. The students, the faculty - we have been calling out for the community to step in and at least slap some sense and decency into UAH administration, but alas any action in the name of the faculty and students has remained stagnant. So incredibly disheartening...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richard Shelby Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Elizabeth Warren v. Wells Fargo: Senate hearing... Sep 18 You Filthy Agent 8
News HHS, Baldwin County to speak Tuesday about ille... Jul '16 Bakker 24
News Alabama bucks as White House considers sending ... Jun '16 tomin cali 1
News Illegal immigrant children may be sent to Alaba... Jun '16 ThomasA 2
News Shelby sides with Trump on 'Mexican' judge's 'c... Jun '16 wild child 1
News Democrats push SEC nominees on corporate politi... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Le Jimbo 3
News UPDATE 1-U.S. Senate banking panel approves Szu... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Le Jimbo 1
More from around the web