GOP's Mourdock stands by rape comment

GOP's Mourdock stands by rape comment

There are 128 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 24, 2012, titled GOP's Mourdock stands by rape comment. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Indiana Senate candidate Richard Mourdock has sparked the latest political controversy over rape and abortion, causing GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney to distance himself a day after touting his candidacy in a TV ad.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Dawg

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Oct 26, 2012
Republican Platform 2012-

Capital Punishment:
"Courts should have the option of imposing the death penalty in capital murder cases."
Abortion:
The party states that "the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed."

Am I the only one that sees the hypocrisy?
I am a registered Republican voter who consistently crosses party lines when voting. I vote against extremism. I vote against partisanship. And I'll damn sure vote against hypocrisy.
Mourdock should be limited to mishandling a half billion dollars of Hoosier money. He has no place on the national scene.
Peaches and Cream

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Oct 26, 2012
he is a kook and he will eventulay end up in a nursing home or prison.
ima hoosier

Itasca, IL

#23 Oct 26, 2012
well kids. with the murdock thoughts on rape and abortion, i suppose that there will be massive layoffs in the condom industry. trojan will have to have a massive ad campaign to save the industry...a buy one get one half kind of sale......
ima hoosier

Itasca, IL

#24 Oct 26, 2012
i bet mrs murdock has a favorite song...stand by your man.........
Peaches and Cream

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Oct 26, 2012
From Time Mag:

Im proud to have been born and raised in Indiana, but Ive got a question for my fellow Hoosiers: Do you miss Dick yet? That is, Indiana Senator Richard Lugar, the legendary statesman and moderate Republican who was defeated in the GOP primary this year by conservative Christian Tea Partyer Richard Mourdock who during a debate this week said that if a woman becomes pregnant during a rape,that is something that God intended to happen.
Fox News Propaganda Lies

Islip, NY

#26 Oct 26, 2012
Linda Bledsoe wrote:
Mourdock has trouble distinguishing his job from his religion and that is dangerous, especially for a politician. Do I think he condones rape? Absolutely not, but I do believe he said something very stupid and it will probably cost him the election. We are judged on our actual words and actions, not what we "meant" to say or do.
No Republican administration has balanced a budget since Eisenhower in 1957.

Dwight Eisenhower was last Republican President to preside over a balanced budget. He had a balanced budget in 1956 and 1957. Since then, there have been two presidents to preside over balanced budgets, LBJ in 1969 and Clinton in 1998 through 2001. During the last 40 years there have been five budget surpluses, all five were under Democratic Presidents: 1969, 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001.

Increases in the National Debt / http://tinyurl.com/cywk2h
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9jbG-c2Ned4/SYHmbGR...

HEADLINES THAT YOU NEVER READ IN THE REPUBLICAN/FOREIGN-OWNED U.S. MEDIA:/ http://tinyurl.com/5mq65x

President Ronald Reagan is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $100 Billion in one year!

President Ronald Reagan is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $200 Billion in one year!

President George H.W. Bush is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $300 Billion in one year!

President George H.W. Bush is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $400 Billion in one year!

President George W. Bush is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $500 Billion in one year!

President George W. Bush has increased the National Debt by more than $500 Billion AGAIN! Almost hits $600 Billion!

President George W. Bush has increased the National Debt by more than $500 Billion a THIRD time!

President George W. Bush has increased the National Debt by more than $500 Billion a FOURTH time!

President George W. Bush has increased the National Debt by more than $500 Billion a FIFTH time!

"Our National Debt is up Three Trillion Dollars under George W. Bush!" / http://www.lafn.org/gvdc/Natl_Debt_Chart.html
==========

Colin Powell in four-letter neo-con 'crazies' row
12 September 2004 / http://tinyurl.com/83u3by
A furious row has broken out over claims in a new book by BBC broadcaster James Naughtie that US Secretary of State Colin Powell described neo-conservatives in the Bush administration as 'fucking crazies' during the build-up to war in Iraq.
Powell's extraordinary outburst is alleged to have taken place during a telephone conversation with Foreign Secretary Jack Straw. The two became close friends during the intense negotiations in the summer of 2002 to build an international coalition for intervention via the United Nations. The 'crazies' are said to be Vice-President Dick Cheney, Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and his deputy, Paul Wolfowitz.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2004/sep/12/I...
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#27 Oct 26, 2012
Dawg wrote:
Republican Platform 2012-
Capital Punishment:
"Courts should have the option of imposing the death penalty in capital murder cases."
Abortion:
The party states that "the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed."
Am I the only one that sees the hypocrisy?
I am a registered Republican voter who consistently crosses party lines when voting. I vote against extremism. I vote against partisanship. And I'll damn sure vote against hypocrisy.
Mourdock should be limited to mishandling a half billion dollars of Hoosier money. He has no place on the national scene.
you see no way to distinguish between a murderer found guilty by a jury of his peers and an innocent baby?

Without taking a stance on whether a young fetus is a baby, clearly innocence versus guilt negates any "hypocrisy"...

Take the inverse,it could be said that liberals want to be able to kill innocence but somehow respect the life of the murderer!
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#28 Oct 26, 2012
I know someone who was born as the product of a rape.

Should we say she is a tragedy that should never have been born, or can we all agree that her life is a gift....

I think all this dude was saying is sometimes "god works in mysterious ways".
Cat74

Schaumburg, IL

#29 Oct 26, 2012
A great script. That is what it is all about, isn't it? A great script. You don't have to have one working brain cell as long as you follow the Obama script. Fortunately for the country there are millions of people who think for themselves, and they will vote Obama out of office.
Ralph

Bloomingdale, IN

#30 Oct 26, 2012
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think plenty of women all across the country would call Mourdock a misogynist, because his BACKWARD statements about women and rape have exposed him as such. He's probably lost a lot of votes from women, and he has only HIMSELF to blame.
You can call Democrats "losers" all you want, it makes no difference to me. I'll still VOTE FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA on November 6th.
Being equal opportunity, I consider all those that do not have the interest of the United States at heart losers. It is interesting that you singled out the Democrats, as I did not.

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

#31 Oct 26, 2012
Don't let these guys know who or where she is. You never know. It may not be to late for them.
Jane Dough wrote:
I know someone who was born as the product of a rape.
Should we say she is a tragedy that should never have been born, or can we all agree that her life is a gift....
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#32 Oct 26, 2012
DavidM wrote:
Don't let these guys know who or where she is. You never know. It may not be to late for them.
<quoted text>
that's pretty funny...
Linda Bledsoe

Pittsburgh, PA

#33 Oct 29, 2012
Fox News Propaganda Lies wrote:
<quoted text>
No Republican administration has balanced a budget since Eisenhower in 1957.
Dwight Eisenhower was last Republican President to preside over a balanced budget. He had a balanced budget in 1956 and 1957. Since then, there have been two presidents to preside over balanced budgets, LBJ in 1969 and Clinton in 1998 through 2001. During the last 40 years there have been five budget surpluses, all five were under Democratic Presidents: 1969, 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001.
Increases in the National Debt / http://tinyurl.com/cywk2h
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9jbG-c2Ned4/SYHmbGR...
HEADLINES THAT YOU NEVER READ IN THE REPUBLICAN/FOREIGN-OWNED U.S. MEDIA:/ http://tinyurl.com/5mq65x
President Ronald Reagan is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $100 Billion in one year!
President Ronald Reagan is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $200 Billion in one year!
President George H.W. Bush is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $300 Billion in one year!
President George H.W. Bush is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $400 Billion in one year!
President George W. Bush is the first President to increase the National Debt by more than $500 Billion in one year!
President George W. Bush has increased the National Debt by more than $500 Billion AGAIN! Almost hits $600 Billion!
President George W. Bush has increased the National Debt by more than $500 Billion a THIRD time!
President George W. Bush has increased the National Debt by more than $500 Billion a FOURTH time!
President George W. Bush has increased the National Debt by more than $500 Billion a FIFTH time!
"Our National Debt is up Three Trillion Dollars under George W. Bush!" / http://www.lafn.org/gvdc/Natl_Debt_Chart.html
==========
Colin Powell in four-letter neo-con 'crazies' row
12 September 2004 / http://tinyurl.com/83u3by
A furious row has broken out over claims in a new book by BBC broadcaster James Naughtie that US Secretary of State Colin Powell described neo-conservatives in the Bush administration as 'fucking crazies' during the build-up to war in Iraq.
Powell's extraordinary outburst is alleged to have taken place during a telephone conversation with Foreign Secretary Jack Straw. The two became close friends during the intense negotiations in the summer of 2002 to build an international coalition for intervention via the United Nations. The 'crazies' are said to be Vice-President Dick Cheney, Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and his deputy, Paul Wolfowitz.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2004/sep/12/I...
Doesn't it just chap your ass that the Republicans are still winning elections?
Akin

Matthews, IN

#34 Oct 29, 2012
Rush Limbaugh has been married 4 times and has fathered no children.

Isn't it about time that Rush stopped raping his wives?
Linda Bledsoe

Pittsburgh, PA

#35 Oct 29, 2012
I don't really understand how a woman could marry that creep.

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

#36 Oct 30, 2012
They think he is a easy target because his is a multimillionaire. But it is not as easy as they may think.
Linda Bledsoe wrote:
I don't really understand how a woman could marry that creep.
Sherry

Indianapolis, IN

#37 Oct 30, 2012
HE and you must be rapists.
Ken

United States

#38 Oct 30, 2012
DavidM wrote:
<quoted text>They think he is a easy target because his is a multimillionaire. But it is not as easy as they may think.
Rapist
Ocean56

AOL

#39 Oct 30, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
I know someone who was born as the product of a rape. Should we say she is a tragedy that should never have been born, or can we all agree that her life is a gift....
So what. I don't want some religionist kook like Mourdock making MY sexual and reproductive choices for me. I don't believe other women want his extremist views forced on them either.

If I was ever raped and then got stuck with an unwanted pregnancy as a result, I would get an abortion as quickly as possible. What another woman would decide is HER choice and HER business.

Motherhood is OPTIONAL, regardless of the circumstances in which a pregnancy happens. Not YOUR pregnancy? Not your decision.
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#40 Oct 30, 2012
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
So what. I don't want some religionist kook like Mourdock making MY sexual and reproductive choices for me. I don't believe other women want his extremist views forced on them either.
If I was ever raped and then got stuck with an unwanted pregnancy as a result, I would get an abortion as quickly as possible. What another woman would decide is HER choice and HER business.
Motherhood is OPTIONAL, regardless of the circumstances in which a pregnancy happens. Not YOUR pregnancy? Not your decision.
dont forget, they believe the fetus is a person...
you obviously do not...
why should your belief as to what is murder trump theirs?

can you at least consider the possibility that the child would still be a "gift from god". I am not religious and I take that phrase as reference to "fate" and not god...

in other words, can you consider the possibility that the aborted child might have cured cancer one day?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richard Lugar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Three Questions for Hillary Clinton May '15 Tazo 1
News Tea Party Holds Ground in GOP Primaries (Aug '14) Aug '14 Sterkfontein Swar... 2
News Indiana Republicans oust 2 over gay marriage votes (May '14) May '14 yangxue 1
News Sen. Calls for Direct Talks With N. Korea (Jun '06) Apr '14 swedenforever 2
News Election 2014: Mississippi Senate race is tea p... (Apr '14) Apr '14 jd noobie 1
News Behind Closed Doors: Indy Democrats show who's ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 YESSSSS 1
News Presidential Medal of Freedom to be Presented t... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Michael Bedwell 1
More from around the web