Patrick Leahy Pledges Support To End ...

Patrick Leahy Pledges Support To End Gay Marriage Ban DOMA

There are 61 comments on the www.ontopmag.com story from Feb 28, 2011, titled Patrick Leahy Pledges Support To End Gay Marriage Ban DOMA. In it, www.ontopmag.com reports that:

Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy will join California Senator Dianne Feinstein in an effort to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act.

After President Obama announced he would no longer defend the Clinton-era law that bans federal agencies from recognizing the legal marriages of gay and lesbian couples and allows states to ignore such marriages, New York Representative Jerrold Nadler urged Democrats to support his bill that would repeal the law. The repeal measure was introduced with little fanfare in 2009 in the House, where it rounded up 100 co-sponsors in its first 30 days. It ultimately lost steam when it failed to attract a Senate sponsor.

Feinstein on Thursday announced she would carry the measure in the Senate.

On Friday, Leahy told constituents that he would join the effort.

“As a Vermonter who has been married for 48 years, I believe it is important to encourage and to sanction committed relationships; relationships that encourage us all to give back to our community; and relationships that complete our lives. Vermont led the way by being the first state to adopt a same-sex marriage law through a legislative process. Now that several states that have voted to give full marriage rights to same-sex couples, I believe that the Federal government should not interfere with those laws or discriminate between marriages sanctioned by State law,” Leahy wrote in an email to supporters first published at the website JoeMyGod.blogspot.com.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.ontopmag.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“I am happy”

Since: Jul 08

St. Petersburg, FL

#1 Feb 28, 2011
It is completely possible that this will pass the Senate, however I think it would die in the House of Representatives, where the democrats are in the minority.

Even if it does not work out, it is shedding a national spotlight on a very real and serious issue of internalized discrimination, of which will need to be dealt with eventually. It is purely against the Full Faith and Credit Clause, a gay couple's 5th Amendment rights of taking the 5th in court to defend one's same sex partner, and the 14th amendment.....

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

#2 Feb 28, 2011
High profile politicians making a very pro-equality stance. Can't hurt :)
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#3 Feb 28, 2011
Hypocrite Leahy should explain WHY he voted FOR DOMA in 96.

A hypocritical politician ?! Oh my ! Who knew ?! Whou could've guessed ?!

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#4 Feb 28, 2011
I must agree, senators like Mr. Leahy pledging support for equality will do a lot of good for marriage equality. I have to believe that Mr. Obama's decision to not defend DOMA in court has opened the door for more senators and reps. to stand up for equality.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#5 Feb 28, 2011
Calling Mr. Leahy a hypocrite is just an uneducated statement as his vote for DOMA 15 years ago does not have much to do with today. Fifteen years is a good span of time to become educated and with that comes understanding and wisdom, something you should seriously think about obtaining.
Frank Stanton wrote:

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#6 Feb 28, 2011
Jalene in the wild wrote:
Calling Mr. Leahy a hypocrite is just an uneducated statement as his vote for DOMA 15 years ago does not have much to do with today. Fifteen years is a good span of time to become educated and with that comes understanding and wisdom, something you should seriously think about obtaining.
<quoted text>
Just ignore him. Same tripe every day.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#7 Feb 28, 2011
This is a pure political move before the election in 2012. Not that it's a bad thing......

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#8 Feb 28, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
This is a pure political move before the election in 2012. Not that it's a bad thing......
For Leahy? I don't think so. He doesn't need to make cynical political moves to get re-elected. Remember he is one of a handful of senators who actually have constituents affected by this law. Neither New Hampshire's freshman Republican Senator Ayotte nor Massachusetts' Scott Brown are capable, for political reasons, of representing their constituents interests.

You should watch Leahy. He's just about the only politician willing to talk about the raw deal Americans have been getting from their leaders. That's why he's independent. The Democrats would shut him up for exposing their own fealty to big donors.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#9 Feb 28, 2011
Jalene in the wild wrote:
<quoted text>
He's a Democrat, therfore he is Evil. PURE EVIL.

Since: Mar 07

Washington DC

#10 Feb 28, 2011
On a side note, does anyone find it offensive that Topix choice of advertisers on this thread is the "Stand with Michele Bachman to Defend Traditional Marriage" campaign?

I think everyone should sign up Maggie Gallagher, Micky Mouse, etc., just to slam their servers...
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#11 Feb 28, 2011
aRodeojock wrote:
On a side note, does anyone find it offensive that Topix choice of advertisers on this thread is the "Stand with Michele Bachman to Defend Traditional Marriage" campaign?
I think everyone should sign up Maggie Gallagher, Micky Mouse, etc., just to slam their servers...
Yes, I found that odd too. Topix is colorblind. The only color they see is GREEN.

“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”

Since: Sep 09

port orange

#12 Feb 28, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
Daniel P is evil pure evil!..o and un-American:)

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Feb 28, 2011
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
For Leahy? I don't think so. He doesn't need to make cynical political moves to get re-elected. Remember he is one of a handful of senators who actually have constituents affected by this law. Neither New Hampshire's freshman Republican Senator Ayotte nor Massachusetts' Scott Brown are capable, for political reasons, of representing their constituents interests.
You should watch Leahy. He's just about the only politician willing to talk about the raw deal Americans have been getting from their leaders. That's why he's independent. The Democrats would shut him up for exposing their own fealty to big donors.
I think the Dems (including those who caucus with them) see this as an issue they can use to their collective advantage for 2012, even if it doesn't affect their individual race.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Feb 28, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
changing your stance over 15 years is not hypocritical. saying one thing and doing another is hypocritical.

“I am happy”

St. Petersburg, FL

#15 Feb 28, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
Daniel, read the article, you loon. He stated he voted for it, but he has reversed his position on DOMA.

“I am happy”

St. Petersburg, FL

#16 Feb 28, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
That's nice, so what is your excuse for being a Tea Partier? As far as I see it, if it was not for the Tea Party, Scott Walker would not have become governor of Wisconsin, Rick Scott would not have become governor of Florida, and several house and senate seats would have been voted for in an extremely different manner.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#18 Mar 12, 2011
Gay Mom wrote:
High profile politicians making a very pro-equality stance. Can't hurt :)
GAY MOM: now there's a contradiction in terms, almost like wise democrat.

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

#19 Mar 13, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a lesbian in a wonderful loving relationship, I have two beautiful daughters and two of the cutest grandsons ever born. Yup, a gay mom. That's me!!!:)

Location hidden

#20 Mar 13, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
And it doesn't really matter, for our needs. The political climate is changing toward gay citizens, and polititions are starting to crawl ot of the woodwork in support

Yes, it points to how hypocritical they are, but every one of them that steps out from behind their "walls of political expediency" helps to push equality forward.

Location hidden

#21 Mar 13, 2011
PASTOR BILL wrote:
<quoted text>
Somewhere aound 30% of gay couples are raising wonderful kids. I have two myself, and they are indeed a blessing from God.

And there are wise and foolish members of ALL political parties. Making derrogatory comments about half of this country's population isn't logical, is it?

In my experience, most folks have both "conservative" and "liberal" beliefs, based on the topic. Very few are on the far end of the spectrum.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Patrick Leahy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kerry downplays rift with Egypt on human rights Apr '16 John McCharlie 1
News News Minute: Here is the latest Maine, New Hamp... Apr '16 Lucy Anna Jane 1
News Sen. Leahy says 'sleazy' Supreme Court fight wi... Apr '16 FancyButtPirate 57
News Holder mandates changes to sentences on some dr... (Aug '13) Jan '16 Ethanol Trump 2
News Clinton Is Playing Her Fans for Fools Jan '16 Ritual Habitual 2
News Obama administration moves to restore $$ to UN ... Dec '15 goonsquad 9
News Senate passes bill to push sharing of info on h... (Oct '15) Oct '15 John McCharlie 1
More from around the web