Buffett rule would garner $31 billion...

Buffett rule would garner $31 billion in taxes

There are 49 comments on the CBS News story from Mar 20, 2012, titled Buffett rule would garner $31 billion in taxes. In it, CBS News reports that:

WASHINGTON -- A bill designed to enact President Barack Obama's plan for a "Buffett rule" tax on the wealthy would rake in just $31 billion over the next 11 years, according to an estimate by Congress' official tax analysts obtained by The Associated Press.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#45 Mar 22, 2012
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>You ask that every week.......do you have a purpose or do you just keep forgeting the answer I have repeatedly told you.
What I do not understand is why he (or anyone else) gives a rat's arse why you chose the handle you did.

BFD!

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#46 Mar 23, 2012
Madaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post is complex: on one hand, you seem to understand that families living on welfare are NOT "living large" at taxpayer expense, as many here appear to believe. That is good.
You then give a lesson in the obvious: those who lost a $60,000/year job and are scraping by on UE have OBVIOUSLY cut costs wherever possible -- the money is simply not there to spend.
You also raise a valid point about some employers discriminating against the unemployed. What you don't mention is that those interviewers are looking for related experience IN THE SAME FIELD. For out-of-work professionals, flipping burgers is just as much a disadvantage on the resume as the dry spell.
On the other hand, it appears that since you only had 13 weeks of benefits 10 years ago, you have no compassion for those out of work NOW. May I remind you that the UE rates were lower 10 years ago, even with the spike after 9/11. There simply wasn't as much raw NEED for assistance then.
What is needed is patience. Hundreds of thousands of new jobs are opening up each month, as the economy slowly recovers from the bust. It isn't happening fast enough for anyone -- but at least the hemorrhaging of jobs (over 500,000/month in '08) has reversed.
the job market is looking better and better as the days go by, thank goodness.
.
this is why I've come to my conclusion:
my mother, who is retired, is the type that will work until she dies, it's her thing, always has been.
currently, she works part-time for Goodwill Industries, in their career counseling/job placement department, the service she provides is free to the public.
this service is available at almost ALL Goodwill's across the country.
there are quite a few private companies that offer this same service, free of charge.
she sees at least 10 people a day looking for work; any work. she helps them re-write their resume, and possibly transition their past work experience into a new field that will provide a long-term job.
she doesn't do temps, only permanent placement.
she is able to find a job for every person that comes to her, because there is plenty of work out there for people that WANT to work.
here's what she told me.......
1) people only come to her after their unemployment has been exhausted.
2) half of the people she tries to help never come back after they hear "drug-test".
.
I am by no means saying that these people are addicts, I'm saying that they probably smoke a little pot, and are fearful of getting busted for it, I've even suggested that maybe when she mentions that there's a drug-test, add that they're not checking for MJ, and see what happens.
.
.
as for the "current work" on a resume, there is a new bill in the NY senate to make it a law that not hiring someone because they're not currently working would be considered discrimination.
very often interviewers wont even give you the time of day if you're not currently working, it's common practice to toss out the applications of potential employees because they aren't currently working, it's the "mindset" of HR.
which translates to: get a job; ANY job, while you look for a job in your field, it's a lot easier to say to an interviewer that the job you currently have is to tide you over until you get back on track, than to say you've been looking for a job for 2 years.
1) they see that you're a hard worker, willing to do what you have to do to support your family
2) looking for 2 years translates to: I've not been hired by anyone because I'm not worthy.
.
.
I do understand the plight of the very poor, I'm from western Mass, where EVERYONE qualifies as "very poor", but working a $10 an hour job still qualifies you for assistance, and gets you back in the work force.
gone are the days of $30 an hour jobs, it's time to downsize, and do what you need to do.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#47 Mar 23, 2012
Madaman wrote:
<quoted text>
What I do not understand is why he (or anyone else) gives a rat's arse why you chose the handle you did.
BFD!
oui mon petite merde.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#48 Mar 23, 2012
anneutral wrote:
<quoted text>
the job market is looking better and better as the days go by, thank goodness.
.
this is why I've come to my conclusion:
my mother, who is retired, is the type that will work until she dies, it's her thing, always has been.
currently, she works part-time for Goodwill Industries, in their career counseling/job placement department, the service she provides is free to the public.
this service is available at almost ALL Goodwill's across the country.
there are quite a few private companies that offer this same service, free of charge.
she sees at least 10 people a day looking for work; any work. she helps them re-write their resume, and possibly transition their past work experience into a new field that will provide a long-term job.
she doesn't do temps, only permanent placement.
she is able to find a job for every person that comes to her, because there is plenty of work out there for people that WANT to work.
here's what she told me.......
1) people only come to her after their unemployment has been exhausted.
2) half of the people she tries to help never come back after they hear "drug-test".
.
I am by no means saying that these people are addicts, I'm saying that they probably smoke a little pot, and are fearful of getting busted for it, I've even suggested that maybe when she mentions that there's a drug-test, add that they're not checking for MJ, and see what happens.
.
.
as for the "current work" on a resume, there is a new bill in the NY senate to make it a law that not hiring someone because they're not currently working would be considered discrimination.
very often interviewers wont even give you the time of day if you're not currently working, it's common practice to toss out the applications of potential employees because they aren't currently working, it's the "mindset" of HR.
which translates to: get a job; ANY job, while you look for a job in your field, it's a lot easier to say to an interviewer that the job you currently have is to tide you over until you get back on track, than to say you've been looking for a job for 2 years.
1) they see that you're a hard worker, willing to do what you have to do to support your family
2) looking for 2 years translates to: I've not been hired by anyone because I'm not worthy.
.
.
I do understand the plight of the very poor, I'm from western Mass, where EVERYONE qualifies as "very poor", but working a $10 an hour job still qualifies you for assistance, and gets you back in the work force.
gone are the days of $30 an hour jobs, it's time to downsize, and do what you need to do.
Good post.
Paul Revere

Ormond Beach, FL

#49 Mar 23, 2012
anneutral wrote:
<quoted text>
then they should sell their car, and buy a cheaper one that gets better mileage.
and they should put their house on the market, or rent it out and find somewhere else to live that's more affordable.
.
if a family HAD an income of $60k a year, and now can only get a job that pays $10 an hour ($22k a year), then they should put on their big-girl panties and do what they have to do to survive, if that $537 is not even covering the mortgage, then they need to do something about it NOW.
.
go 2 years without work, then try to find a job; the 1st thing the interviewer will say is "there's nothing recent on your resume".
.
it's time for people that live beyond their means to stop relying on unemployment benefits, and take a job that's "beneath them", everyone knows that being unemployed for an extended amount of time leads to depression.
.
.
.
if you can't afford your lifestyle, then you should downsize, not continue in the hopes that things will "turn around", face your reality, do what you have to do, and stop whining.
2 years of unemployment checks?!?!?!? WTF!! when I got laid-off after 9/11 I had 13 weeks, no extensions for me! the career path I had chosen (travel industry) took a nose-dive, but the gov't sure wasn't going to give me 99 weeks. there are PLENTY of jobs out there, they might be sucky, but you've got to do what you've got to do.
* Your assertions to categorize the plight of others with conjectural inaccuracies, exaggerations and untruths is pathetic attempt for your rationalization. You conveniently omit the raising cost of living which is impacting every American's budget, but some harder then others. Due to this that $10. per hr . job is now minimum wage and those at minimum are? conjecture that! Easy for you to tell someone else to downsize now, many are trying, who's buying? Sure there are those who have and would rather abuse the system, and then there are those who have rationalized they've no choice. Enough2012!

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#50 Mar 23, 2012
Paul Revere wrote:
<quoted text> * Your assertions to categorize the plight of others with conjectural inaccuracies, exaggerations and untruths is pathetic attempt for your rationalization. You conveniently omit the raising cost of living which is impacting every American's budget, but some harder then others. Due to this that $10. per hr . job is now minimum wage and those at minimum are? conjecture that! Easy for you to tell someone else to downsize now, many are trying, who's buying? Sure there are those who have and would rather abuse the system, and then there are those who have rationalized they've no choice. Enough2012!
which " inaccuracies, exaggerations and untruths" would those be?
please be specific.

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#51 Mar 23, 2012
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>oui mon petite merde.
Insults in French are STILL insults!
drink the hive

New York, NY

#52 Mar 23, 2012
“It’s The Mercenary Side Of Buffett.”(Berkshire Hathaway Inc.)Said J.Matthews...

&fe ature=related
dork

Thane, India

#53 Mar 25, 2012
fdgr

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orrin Hatch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bipartisan Puerto Rico crisis bill introduced, ... May 22 axeme 2
News Obama signs trade secrets bill, allowing compan... May 12 Robert E Lee jr 2
News Abortion fight stalls Obama nominee Apr 29 goonsquad 17
News Obama is missing a fifth vote in the high court... Apr '16 Le Jimbo 73
News Dear GOP: Stop playing politics and give Merric... Apr '16 Responsibility 570
News Obama hosts dinner for new Canada sensation nam... Mar '16 SirPrize 3
News GOP eyes election-year tax deal Jan '16 tarp survivor 3
More from around the web