DADT Becomes Major Issue in Congressional Elections
Though the received wisdom regarding this year's midterm elections is that the voters are more concerned with economic issues than divisive social questions--and the candidates have followed suit--hot-button issues have continued to pop up in Congressional races around the country.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGEftlauderdale.com News Feed.
#1 Oct 27, 2010
Thank God Obamaniac® ENDED DADT during his first month in office JUST AS HE PROMISED HE WOULD !
"CHANGE you can believe in !"
“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”
Since: Sep 09
#2 Oct 27, 2010
i dont recall this promise....wheres your proof he made it
“Raising money for Prop H8!”
Since: Feb 09
#3 Oct 27, 2010
I hate to defend Frank but Obama did promise to end DADT.
All the President had to do was NOT appeal the DADT decision.
I personally feel betrayed.
#4 Oct 27, 2010
Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeedback :-000
“Proud to be an American”
Since: Oct 09
#5 Oct 27, 2010
What most people don't understand is, even if Judge Phillip's ruling stands anyone at any time can come and have it overturned. If Congress makes the law and repeals DADT it stands.
Since: Apr 07
#6 Oct 27, 2010
Logic, people. If this issue is *done* legally and THEY ARE USING IT, they are using it
for one thing:
Since: Apr 07
#7 Oct 27, 2010
Oh, the poster "frank" is TOTALLY right about the DADT stuff. His problem is that he's REALLY, REALLY hell-bent on tooting that one horn that evidences continued, endless hatred of the democrats. I have multiple criticisms to make of the democrats but I don't *hate* them. The huge problem is that people like "frank" WILL. NOT. acknowledge. that they are bett*er* than the republicans.
Not great, but bett*er*.
As has been pointed out on these boards, voting this November is a matter of keeping undesirables *OUT* rather than voting *FOR* anyone who's going to change much of anything. Democrats are WAY too spineless for that type of change, but I'd rather keep ultra-conservatives *OUT*.
#8 Oct 27, 2010
Hahahahahaha no hiding were you put it or where you get it. Talk about coming out of the closet! Obama the worst president every and you get to be a homosexual in the military and he is the greatest thing ever.lol that's looking at the (racist islamic terrorist obama, who has destroyed our economy and lost milions of jobs) with an objective for America. Just like a selfish liberal progressive that has entilement issues. Everyone owes you something because your a homosexual. Punish the majority of us for your defects of character.
#9 Oct 27, 2010
When the hordes come storming the gates, I vote we throw Frank's body in their path so they have something to trip over.
#10 Oct 27, 2010
You are Sooooo wrong. Nothing could be wost than a democrat. What rock have you been living under? Guess your all caught up in the liberal media machine. Try doing pro's and con's. The rights that you loose with dems. The socialist aspect, the shredding of the constution. A democrat is the most dangerous person for America. Every issue from illegals to public trials for prisoners of war I'm against. Obama came out yesterday and called over 50% of Americans the enemy. Better wise up. If you don't side with obama you are an enemy or a racist. Vote the bums out and save this country. We have one last chance if your sick of the political correctness that is aimed to hurt the majority. My God, when I was a kid we at least had Christmas... come on.
#11 Oct 27, 2010
I I I I I I I I I. Looks like the I's have it.lol throw Frank Ha!
#12 Oct 27, 2010
We're on to something here. An all gay branch of the Army, Air force, Marines, Navy, coast guard... we'll just send them in first. Who knows there might be more homosexual muslims that come out on the battle field. Doubt it but it would solve some of our problems.
Can you imagine... we're already a paper tiger with democrats. Add to it an increase in homosexuals in the military. Our enemies would attack just to hear the men scream. I've never seen a homosexual that could strike fear in me enless I was forced to bunk with one and fell asleep first.
“Headed toward the cliff”
Since: Nov 07
Tawas City, Michigan
#13 Oct 27, 2010
When did Obama ever promise to end DADT during his first month in office?
“Common courtesy, isn't”
Since: Nov 07
#14 Oct 27, 2010
Amen, brother. But you know who was an even worse Democrat than Obama? Friggin' George W. Bush! Talk about the shredding of the Constitution! Declaring war on the wrong country, instigating llegal wiretaps on citizens, violating the Geneva Conventions ... dang! And he took that nice economic surplus left us by his hard-working, decent Republican predecessor, Bill Clinton, and slammed this country right into the worst deficit in history.
Of course the gays loved W., the old Democrat! They started gaining the right to marry in this country on his watch. That never would have happened if we'd had a real Republican president in charge. Ain't that right?
You just tell 'em what for, Another! We gotta protect that Constution!
Since: May 08
#15 Oct 27, 2010
He did not give a time frame or date. As it is the new congress is going to get its but burned.
The senate needs to vote yes on it and the President can sign it into law. You need to do things right for them to work, not just use an executive order that can be changed by the next president.
#16 Oct 27, 2010
What's the issue?
Republicans hate gays.
Democrats help gays.
MOST Americans support gay rights.
The choice is clear for EVERYONE.
VOTE TUESDAY or SOONER, if you can, AND TELL ALL YOUR FAMILY/FRIENDS to VOTE. Offer to drive people without transportation.
Tell everyone about...
100+ Things President Barack Obama has done So Far . and Counting
#17 Oct 27, 2010
We constantly complained about the Obama administration and what President Barack Obama has not done for us.
A unanimous author decides to put a stop to the complaints and want us to appreciate all the work that have been accomplished. Therefore the author created a list of what President Obama has done so far in the short amount of time.
Heres what the unanimous author wrote:
Im sick and tired of people asking What has Obama done? So heres a list of things hes done since hes been in office.
Remember: He was elected President. He wasnt elected Jesus!
1. Saved the collapse of the American automotive industry by making GM restructure before bailing them out, and putting incentive money to help the industry
2. Shifted the focus of the war from Iraq to Afghanistan, and putting the emphasis on reducing terrorism where it should have been all along
3. Relaxed Anti-American tensions throughout the world
4. Signed order to close the prisoner torture camp at Guantanamo Bay
5. Has made the environment a national priority, and a primary source for job creation
6. Has made education a national priority by putting emphasis and money behind new ideas like charter schools, but speaking directly to school children in telling them they have to do their part.
7. Won the Nobel Peace Prize
8.$789 billion economic stimulus plan
9. Appointment of first Latina to the Supreme Court
10. Attractive tax write-offs for those who buy hybrid automobiles
11. Authorized construction/opening of additional health centers to care for veterans
12. Renewed dialogue with NATO and other allies and partners on strategic issues.
13. Beginning the process of reforming and restructuring the military 20 years after the Cold War to a more modern fighting force this includes new procurement policies, increasing size of military, new technology and cyber units and operations, etc.
14. Better body armor is now being provided to our troops
15.Cash for clunkers program offers vouchers to trade in fuel inefficient, polluting old cars for new cars; stimulates auto sales
16. Changed the failing/status quo military command in Afghanistan
17. Closed offshore tax safe havens
18. Deployed additional troops to Afghanistan
19. Ended media blackout on war casualties; reporting full information
20. Ended previous policy of awarding no-bid defense contracts
21.. Ended media blackout on war casualties and the return of fallen soldiers to Dover AFB.
22. Ended previous policy of cutting the FDA and circumventing FDA rules
23. Ended previous practice of forbidding Medicare from negotiating with drug manufacturers for cheaper drugs; the federal government is now realizing hundreds of millions in savings
24. Ended previous practice of having White House aides rewrite scientific and environmental rules, regulations, and reports
25. American Recovery and Reinvestment Act has created 2.1 million jobs (as of 12/31/09).
26. Ended previous policy of not regulating and labeling carbon dioxide emissions
27. Ended previous policy of offering tax benefits to corporations who outsource American jobs; the new policy is to promote in-sourcing to bring jobs back
28. Ended previous policy on torture; the US now has a no torture policy and is in compliance with the Geneva Convention standards
29.. Launched Recovery.gov to track spending from the Recovery Act, an unprecedented step to provide transparency and accountability through technology.
#18 Oct 27, 2010
30. Ended previous practice of protecting credit card companies; in place of it are new consumer protections from credit card industrys predatory practices
31. Ended previous stop-loss policy that kept soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan longer than their enlistment date
32. Energy producing plants must begin preparing to produce 15% of their energy from renewable sources
33. Established a National Performance Officer charged with saving the federal government money and making federal operations more efficient
34. Established a new cyber security office
35. Expanded the SCHIP program to cover health care for 4 million more children
36. Expanding vaccination programs
37. Families of fallen soldiers have expenses
38.. Provided the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) with more than $1.4 billion to improve services to Americas Veterans.
39. Federal support for stem-cell and new biomedical research
40. Funds for high-speed, broadband Internet access to K-12 schools
41. Responded with compassion and leadership to the earthquake in Haiti
42. Immediate and efficient response to the floods in North Dakota and other natural disasters
43.. Launched Business.gov enabling conversation and online collaboration between small business owners, government representatives and industry experts in discussion forums relevant to starting and managing a business. Great for the economy.
44. Improved housing for military personnel
45. Improved conditions at Walter Reed Military Hospital and other military hospitals
46. Changed failing war strategy in Afghanistan.
47. Improving benefits for veterans
48. Increased infrastructure spending (roads, bridges, power plants ) after years of neglect
49. Donated his $1.4 million Nobel Prize to nonprofits.
50. Increasing opportunities in AmeriCorps program
51. Provided tax credits to first-time home buyers through the Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009 to revitalize the U.S. housing market.
52. Increasing pay and benefits for military personnel
53. Increasing student loans
54. Instituted a new policy on Cuba, allowing Cuban families to return home to visit loved ones
55. Cracked down on companies that deny sick pay, vacation and health insurance to workers by abusing the employee classification of independent contractor. Such companies also avoid paying Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance taxes for those workers.
56. Limited salaries of senior White House aides; cut to $100,000
57. Limits on lobbyists access to the White House
58. Protected 300,000 education jobs, such as teachers, principals, librarians, and counselors through the Recovery Act that would have otherwise been lost.
59. Limits on White House aides working for lobbyists after their tenure in the administration
60. Childrens Health Insurance Reauthorization Act on February 4, 2009, provides quality health care to 11 million kids 4 million who were previously uninsured.
61. Lower drug costs for seniors
62. Making more loans available to small businesses
63. Many more press conferences and town halls and much more media access than previous administration
64.. Signed the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act, the first piece of comprehensive legislation aimed at improving the lives of Americans living with paralysis
65. Negotiated deal with Swiss banks to permit US government to gain access to records of tax evaders and criminals
66. New Afghan War policy that limits aerial bombing and prioritizes aid, development of infrastructure, diplomacy, and good government practices by Afghans
67. Announced creation of a Joint Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record for members of the U.S. Armed Forces to improve quality of medical care.
68. New federal funding for science and research labs
69. New funds for school construction
#19 Oct 27, 2010
70. Ordered all federal agencies to undertake a study and make recommendations for ways to cut spending
71. Ordered a review of all federal operations to identify and cut wasteful spending and practices
72.. Negotiated deal with Swiss banks to permit US government to gain access to records of tax evaders and criminals.
73. Phasing out the expensive F-22 war plane and other outdated weapons systems, which werent even used or needed in Iraq/Afghanistan
74. Reengaged in the agreements/talks on global warming and greenhouse gas emissions
75. Provided tax credit to workers thus cutting taxes for 95% of Americas working families.
76. Reengaged in the treaties/agreements to protect the Antarctic
77. Removed restrictions on embryonic stem-cell research
78.. Helped reverse a downward spiral of the stock market. On January 19, 2009, the last day of President Bushs presidency, the Dow closed at 8,218.22. In February 2010, the Dow closed at 10,309.24
79. Renewed loan guarantees for Israel
80. Restarted the nuclear non-proliferation talks and building back up the nuclear inspection infrastructure/protocols
81. Provided attractive tax write-offs for those who buy hybrid automobiles.
82. Returned money authorized for refurbishment of White House offices and private living quarters
83. Sent envoys to Middle East and other parts of the world that had been neglected for years; reengaging in multilateral and bilateral talks and diplomacy
84. Unveiled a program on Earth Day 2009 to develop the renewable energy projects on the waters of our Outer Continental Shelf that produce electricity from wind, wave, and ocean currents. These regulations will enable, for the first time ever, the nation to tap into our oceans vast sustainable resources to generate clean energy in an environmentally sound and safe manner.
85. Signed national service legislation; expanded national youth service program
86. States are permitted to enact federal fuel efficiency standards above federal standards
87. Students struggling to make college loan payments can have their loans refinanced
88. Successful release of US captain held by Somali pirates; authorized the SEALS to do their job
89. The FDA is now regulating tobacco
90. Ended the previous stop-loss policy that kept soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan longer than their enlistment date.
91. The missile defense program is being cut by $1.4 billion in 2010
92. The public can meet with federal housing insurers to refinance (the new plan can be completed in one day) a mortgage if they are having trouble paying
93. The secret detention facilities in Eastern Europe and elsewhere are being closed
94. US financial and banking rescue plan
95. US Navy increasing patrols off Somali coast
96.. Signed the Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Act to stop fraud and wasteful spending in the defense procurement and contracting system.
97. Visited more countries and met with more world leaders than any president in his first six months in office
98. Improved relations with Iran
99. Improved U.S. policy on climate change
100. Set timetable for exiting Iraq (already started removing troops)
101. Improved relations with Russia
102. Improved relations with the Islamic World
103. Made progress towards grater cooperation on limiting nuclear proliferation
104. Economic stimulus plan has created jobs.(Unemployment rate decreasing)
105. Drastically slowed down the recession
106. Saved Wall Street
107. Passed the Lilly Ledbetter Act (equal work for equal pay) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilly_Ledbetter_...
108. HEALTHCARE REFORM
Once again, this is a lot to accomplish in such a short amount of time. He was elected President, he wasnt elected Jesus.
“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”
Since: Sep 09
#20 Oct 27, 2010
my point exactly just more lies from the right
Add your comments below
|Colorado becomes the first state to vote on sin... (Nov '15)||Nov '15||Elise Gingerdoodle||1|
|AFP hits Bennet on Colorado co-op failure (Nov '15)||Nov '15||Elise Killed Herself||1|
|Colorado's Senators Working Together To Bridge ... (Oct '15)||Oct '15||Shaded Tree||1|
|'Almost Any Deal Is Better': Iran Nuclear Deal ... (Sep '15)||Sep '15||Nicole||2|
|EPA: Colorado mine waste spill much larger than... (Aug '15)||Aug '15||Agents of Corruption||2|
|Pot Politics: The Marijuana Business Comes To W... (Jul '15)||Jul '15||Sterkfontein Swar...||3|
|TPP: 13 Democratic Senators Invite Republicans ... (Jun '15)||Jun '15||spadethetrade||1|
Find what you want!
Search Senator Michael Bennet Forum Now
Copyright © 2016 Topix LLC