Stimulus spending looms large in midt...

Stimulus spending looms large in midterm contests

There are 75 comments on the The Topeka Capital-Journal story from Oct 20, 2010, titled Stimulus spending looms large in midterm contests. In it, The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that:

A photo of President Barack Obama hangs on the wall in CoraFaye's Cafe, a short walk from the Denver museum where Obama signed into law the most sweeping U.S. economic package in decades in an attempt to put people back to work and end the worst downturn since the Great Depression.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Topeka Capital-Journal.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Raleigh, NC

#67 Oct 21, 2010
bobob wrote:
<quoted text>
Jobs were going overseas long before Bush. In the early 1990's our
companies began their mass exodus due to high benefit packages. When
high school dropouts make $90,000 a year, something had to give, and it was jobs.
Yes, certain sector jobs have been leaving for decades.

“Truth to Power!”

Raleigh, NC

#69 Oct 21, 2010
TNT wrote:
<quoted text>
understood, but this has been going on for many, many presidents so you can't just blame the current president.
Unemployment never reached 9% or 10% under Bush or Clinton and while Reagan had a high number it was for a very short period of time and certainly not for this long.

Bottom line is that Obama has claimed he'd fix the Unemployment problem with Stimulus then, after it's approved, says Unemployment will be high for years so let's increase the Debt even more with Unemployment Benefits that only encourage more Unemployment.

That's how I can just blame this president/Congress and quite frankly it's all that matters right now to 15 Million out of work.

“Truth to Power!”

Raleigh, NC

#70 Oct 21, 2010
TEA Partiers R scumbags wrote:
Anyone who is interested in seeing if this Soros claim is true can simply take a look at what Snopes has to say on this topic. Bottom line, Laughhing Liberal is a fuckingpieceofshit liar. The short is that this loan was approved before any Obama appointees were on the board. At this time 3 Republicans and 2 Democrats made the loan decision and they were all Bush appointees. Also Soros' hedge fund sold 27 million of his 37 million shares before any of this money was released. Oh and taxpayer dollars don't fund the Ex-I'm Bank. Its self sustaining. Post more lies LL and I'll shred them to pieces. <quoted text>
Video: Soros invested in Petrobras days before Obama invested Billions,

Special Prosecutor Needed

June 21st, 2010

The U.S. is going to lend billions of dollars to Brazil’s state-owned oil company, Petrobras, to finance exploration of the huge offshore discovery in Brazil’s Tupi oil field in the Santos Basin near Rio de Janeiro. Brazil’s planning minister confirmed that White House National Security Adviser James Jones met this month with Brazilian officials to talk about the loan.

Apparently, Barack Obama’s pal George Soros has invested heavily in Petrobas.
Doug Strait sent this:

I read a lot of news and remembered that a while back George Soros had invested in an Brazilian oil company. So, I searched for “Petrobras Soros” and found a couple articles.

Here is one that I found.
These are the top 5 holdings of George Soros

1.Petroleo Brasileiro S.A.Petrobras (PBR)– 9,818,323 shares, 15.42% of the total portfolio
2.Hess Corp.(HES)– 5,123,198 shares, 10.56% of the total portfolio
3.Petroleo Brasileiro S.A.Petrobras (PBR-A)– 5,884,700 shares, 7.53% of the total portfolio
4.Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc.(POT)– 1,978,053 shares, 7.06% of the total portfolio
5.Plains Exploration & Production Company (PXP)– 6,526,400 shares, 6.84% of the total portfolio

Note that there are two Petrobas stock numbers (PBR and PBR-A, numbers 1
& 3 listed above).

This looks interesting to me considering the Soros-Obama connections.

Agreed.

More… Ed Morrissey asks:

Is it a coincidence that Obama backer George Soros repositioned himself in Petrobras to get dividends just a few days before Obama committed $2 billion in loans and guarantees for Petrobras’ offshore operations?

NO. I wash your Soros back and you wash my Obamaback.

http://politisite.com/2010/06/21/soros-invest...
Sir Thomas More

Chicago, IL

#71 Oct 21, 2010
These are perilous times! Join ranks and fight for freedom.
Phil McCracken wrote:
By the way, Nat Turner, when is this "Blame Bush" thing going to stop, and when is this Hope and Change thing going to start to kick in? Unless, the stimulus package, Obamacare, and indifference on border security is it! Oh, and how is that sub-8% unemployment going?

“Truth to Power!”

Raleigh, NC

#72 Oct 21, 2010
Nat Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, name calling...typical neo-con response.
First, NAFTA is the Canadian/Mexican trade agreement, doesn't fall under the jobs that bush shipped overseas to India, and neighboring countries. Thereby giving companies huge tax breaks for moving over there, has nothing to do with Clinton or NAFTA, whitch was modeled after chapter 18 of the Canada-US free trade agreement.
Second, my mortgage is still paid on time and still have steak and shrimp to eat. Kids play soccer and go to girl scouts. Working out fine for me. I work for a living, I leave the bitching and whining to people like you. No real substace in your inane tirades just mixed bag of insipid babbling and morbid lunacy.
Most of you facts are tainted as I have just proven. Now who's the dummy?
You're still the Dummy.

Bush doesn't ship jobs dummy.

You can't even bring up an legitimate story to back your idiotic claim. NONE! Not One! ROFL!

Your mortgage isn't the problem if you're able to pay for it dummy. The problem is the government encouraging and facilitating Bad Loans through legislation and the GSE's. Do you even know what GSE's are? NINJA Loans? I didn't think so! ROFL!

Keep your head in the sand dummy. It suits you best.

“Truth to Power!”

Raleigh, NC

#73 Oct 21, 2010
Wartime wrote:
<quoted text>
It makes you wonder whether he'll be taking his next vacation in Africa....so he can learn something.

Feds Spent $800,000 of Economic Stimulus on African Genital-Washing Program -- September 13, 2010

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/75198

"The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), a division of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), spent $823,200 of economic stimulus funds in 2009 on a study by a UCLA research team to teach uncircumcised African men how to wash their genitals after having sex.

The genitalia-washing program is part of a larger $12-million UCLA study examining how to better encourage Africans to undergo voluntary HIV testing and counseling – however, only the penis-washing study received money from the 2009 economic stimulus law. The washing portion of the study is set to end in 2011."
Yep! Here's the story of the Maggot Obama using US Tax Payer Dollars to pay for African Man penis washing studies and instruction. Obama is such an Idiot.
TEA Partiers R scumbags

Chicago, IL

#74 Oct 21, 2010
More refutable LIES!!! Look at the unemployment under Reagan in 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1983. Lies, you post nothing but lies when you say "certainly not for this long". Unemployment increased under Reagan's first 3 years.
The laughing liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Unemployment never reached 9% or 10% under Bush or Clinton and while Reagan had a high number it was for a very short period of time and certainly not for this long.
Bottom line is that Obama has claimed he'd fix the Unemployment problem with Stimulus then, after it's approved, says Unemployment will be high for years so let's increase the Debt even more with Unemployment Benefits that only encourage more Unemployment.
That's how I can just blame this president/Congress and quite frankly it's all that matters right now to 15 Million out of work.
Nat Turner

Dallas, TX

#75 Oct 21, 2010
Phil McCracken wrote:
<quoted text>
"10 Trillion in debt"? keep smoking those doobies, pal. Anyway, The Savior is starting to make Bush look like the Yale/Harvard grad that he actually is!!!
My God. A confessed bobblehead. Well done.
Mothra

Portland, OR

#76 Oct 21, 2010
Nat Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
The bush crime family's debt is still growing with the war on oil still raging. Jobs overseas have not come back, so go ahead and factor that in. NBC has a sitcom about it for Christ sake!!! Interesting, you stopped calculating as soon as Pres. Obama took office. How convenient.
"Currently..........13.7 trillion"

What are you talking about? I even gave a link so you can go look it up yourself.
Nat Turner

Dallas, TX

#77 Oct 21, 2010
The laughing liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
You're still the Dummy.
Bush doesn't ship jobs dummy.
You can't even bring up an legitimate story to back your idiotic claim. NONE! Not One! ROFL!
Your mortgage isn't the problem if you're able to pay for it dummy. The problem is the government encouraging and facilitating Bad
Loans through legislation and the GSE's. Do you even know what GSE's are? NINJA Loans? I didn't think so! ROFL!
Keep your head in the sand dummy. It suits you best.
Good Lord. And he actually thinks he made a good point. The GSE is only a go between and hardly affects the outcome of the loan.

Christ. I can't debate a half-wit. Your mission is doomed to fail keyboard commando.
Nat Turner

Dallas, TX

#78 Oct 21, 2010
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
"Currently..........13.7 trillion"
What are you talking about? I even gave a link so you can go look it up yourself.
Link for what? Finish adding the bush crime family's bill then tack on Obama's. Which is hard to do because it's still rising.

My kid can cut and paste links and consevatative drivel, try putting your own explanations down. I know that's hard for sheep, but try it, you may learn something.
Nat Turner

Dallas, TX

#79 Oct 21, 2010
Wartime wrote:
<quoted text>
No he didn't. How inconvenient that you can't read.
Here's more....
Under Bush the federal deficit was a mere $161 billion in the last budget (FY 2007) before the Democrats took control of both houses of Congress in January 2007. Whereupon they increased it to $460 billion before Bush left office, and then to $1.42
trillion in the most recent fiscal year (FY 2009) under Obama -- an increase of $1.26 trillion or 776%. While the FY 2010 deficit is projected to come in at another $1.5 trillion, along with a TRIPLING of the national debt.
No one should forget what happened after January 20th, 2007, when the DEMOCRATS TOOK OVER BOTH HOUSES OF CONGRESS.
After which they added $4 trillion to th
national debt (+45.3%), tripled the deficit, increased the debt limit by $5.33 trillion (+59.4%), turned the projected $800 billion surplus over the ten-year period FY 2008-2017 into a $9.7 trillion deficit, doubled unemployment, legislated billions in payoffs to state unions and union pensions, created record poverty, record food stamp enrollment, record foreclosures, record-low
private sector pay, record-high government pay, undertaken government takeovers of our economy, added ruinous new taxes and regulations, ruined our healthcare system, and utterly crippled business, confidence, and prosperity in America.
Since 2007...
• The National Debt.....has increased from $8.67 trillion to $12.6 trillion—an increase of $3.93 trillion or 45.3%.
• The Debt Limit.....has increased six times. Since the Democrats took over Congress,
the debt limit has increased from $8.965 trillion to $14.29 trillion -- an increase of $5.33 trillion or 59.4%.
• The Deficit.....has increased from $161 billion in the last budget before Democrats took control of the Congress (FY 2007) to $1.42 trillion in the most recent fiscal year
(FY 2009)-- an increase of $1.26 trillion or 776%. The FY 2010 deficit is projected to come in at another $1.5 trillion.
•$10.5 Trillion Deterioration to Nation’s Budget Outlook.....The same month Democrats took control of Congress (January 2007), CBO, under then CBO Director Peter Orszag, projected an $800 billion surplus over the ten-year period FY 2008-2017.
Today, covering the same period—including the actual deficits from FY 2008 and FY 2009—as well as what the President proposes in his budget for fiscal years 2011 through 2017, that $800 billion surplus turns into a $9.7 trillion deficit. This is a $10.5 trillion worsening of the budget outlook in three years of Democrat control of the Congress.
Wow. If you cut and paste more, maybe you'll win a prize.

In the last decade, the GOP, racked up a monstrous amount of debt and there is no comparison to the current administration. All you guys are doing is cutting and pasting with no real knowledge of what you are doing. Robots and sheep sans substance.

Pathetic.
Mothra

Portland, OR

#80 Oct 21, 2010
Nat Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Link for what? Finish adding the bush crime family's bill then tack on Obama's. Which is hard to do because it's still rising.
My kid can cut and paste links and consevatative drivel, try putting your own explanations down. I know that's hard for sheep, but try it, you may learn something.
If more debt were a means to prosperity, we'd all be rich.
TEA Partiers R scumbags

Chicago, IL

#81 Oct 21, 2010
You guys sing praises to Ronald Reagan's stuardship of the economy. Look at the debt he racked up. You all brag about the great economy his policies built.
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
If more debt were a means to prosperity, we'd all be rich.
Frank Lee Plain

Sugar Land, TX

#82 Oct 22, 2010
The recovery is slow, but it is happening. More proof:

“Unemployment fell in 23 states and Washington, D.C., rose in 11 states and was unchanged in 16 during September, the Labor Department said Friday. The declines were nearly double the number reported by states in the previous month.”(Associated Press, Oct. 22, 2010)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101022/ap_on_bi_...

The Republicans want to go back to the policies that were in place when the recession started.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Senator Michael Bennet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Longmont City Council to consider DACA support ... Sep '17 Quirky 2
News Senators face opposition as they mull over "DRE... Sep '17 Wildchild 1
News Extra-windy March boosts wind, solar power's sh... Jun '17 Solarman 1
News More (May '17) May '17 anonymous 1
News Democratic congressman announces run for Colora... (Apr '17) Apr '17 CodeTalker 3
News The Latest: Pelosi a deeply disappointeda by Go... (Mar '17) Mar '17 op gladio 5
News Word on the Hill: Muslim Group Advocacy Day Foc... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Marie-Luise_J 1
More from around the web