Katrina victims fight FEMA debts

Katrina victims fight FEMA debts

There are 111 comments on the WTOP-FM Washington story from Dec 28, 2011, titled Katrina victims fight FEMA debts. In it, WTOP-FM Washington reports that:

In this photo taken in 2007, a backhoe clears debris from Hurricane Katrina, in the Lakeview section of New Orleans, Louisiana.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTOP-FM Washington.

pigpen911

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#22 Dec 29, 2011
Swampy you are full of,well,swamp mud.The governor said that she didn't want the federal goverment to take control of ANY operations.Just so you know,the NG and any federal troops(Army,Navy,Air Force,Marines) have the power of/to arrest anyone once marshal law is declared.As far as the oil and pipe line B/S,when are you dems going to stop beating that drum? It is getting old,just like Obama blaming everything on Bush and other people for his failures.I did say it was 15 days,you are right,it was 5 days,I hit the 1 and didn't catch it,my bad,how many people died in those 5 days? Answer two Questions,O.K.? Why are there 100's of people in the mid west that hasn't had any help from FEMA since storms last summer under Obama?Why isn't the MSM and the Bush blamers raising hell about that? Must be they have a agenda to hide all of the failures of this White House.Just asking Swampy.

“If it ain't broke don't fix it”

Since: Jul 09

Arcadia, LA.

#23 Dec 29, 2011
inbred Genius wrote:
Next thing you know, they'll say Bush dynamited the levees down there.
I believe Spike Lee has already made that claim.

“Angry Antlers ”

Since: Sep 08

Miami

#24 Dec 29, 2011
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>The one thing we do know is that Christians are not perfect and still sin..........in the eyes of God. To liberals sin is a resume enhancer.
Hypocricy and lying are Republican family values, as is hate and divisiveness.

Jail time and defrauding the taxpayer is a resume enhancer, just ask Rick Scott, Tom Delay, Jack Abramoff, Bob Ney, etc, etc.

pigpen911

Location hidden

#26 Dec 30, 2011
Caribou Barbie wrote:
<quoted text>
Jail time and defrauding the taxpayer is a resume enhancer, just ask Rick Scott, Tom Delay, Jack Abramoff, Bob Ney, etc, etc.
Barbie,you should be "fair and balanced",you can list just as many democrats that break the laws (maybe more)as repubilcans. Face the facts,they all are crooks and liars.

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#27 Dec 30, 2011
pigpen911 wrote:
Swampy you are full of,well,swamp mud.The governor said that she didn't want the federal goverment to take control of ANY operations.Just so you know,the NG and any federal troops(Army,Navy,Air Force,Marines) have the power of/to arrest anyone once marshal law is declared.As far as the oil and pipe line B/S,when are you dems going to stop beating that drum? It is getting old,just like Obama blaming everything on Bush and other people for his failures.I did say it was 15 days,you are right,it was 5 days,I hit the 1 and didn't catch it,my bad,how many people died in those 5 days? Answer two Questions,O.K.? Why are there 100's of people in the mid west that hasn't had any help from FEMA since storms last summer under Obama?Why isn't the MSM and the Bush blamers raising hell about that? Must be they have a agenda to hide all of the failures of this White House.Just asking Swampy.
I laid out the time line for you. Governor Blanco issued a request for federal assistance on August 27. Katrina struck on the 29. There was nothing in that request for assistance that said she did not want assistance. The offer that was turned down was Bushís offer to federalize the NG troops Gov Blanco had already deployed to stop looting. I even stated why both Gov Blanco and Gov Halle Barber (R) rejected the offer.(they would not have been able to directly enforce Louisiana state law (i.e., control looting) under the provisions of the 1878 Posse Comitatus Act). Of course these FACTS donít fit your rewrite wing spin so you reject them with BS.

As for your two questions, 1. I donít have the exact number but a lot of people died in those five days. That is the whole point. It was five days later that President Bush got around to sending in Federal troops to conduct rescue operations. However less then 24 hours after Katrina struck President Bush went on TV and told us there had been some damage to Gulf Coast refineries and he was releasing oil from the strategic reserve. Vice President Cheney also redirected power line crews away from restoring electricity to hospitals to restore power to a pipeline. These two actions in combination clearly shows where the administrations priorities were. And it was not saving lives. 2. Your Mid West flooding question is nothing but a red herring. People in the mid west were not dying. They have received FEMA assistance. There is no comparison. Now time for you to answer a question. Do you think emergency management should be handled by the Federal Government or should FEMA be disbanded and emergency management be handled by the states?

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#28 Dec 30, 2011
Caribou Barbie wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, republicans do go to jail and resign, while liberals just keep going like Charlie Rangel, Maxine Waters, Pelosi, Reid, Dodd and Franks. Like I said resume enhancers.

pigpen911

Location hidden

#29 Dec 30, 2011
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>I laid out the time line for you. Governor Blanco issued a request for federal assistance on August 27. Katrina struck on the 29. There was nothing in that request for assistance that said she did not want assistance. The offer that was turned down was Bushís offer to federalize the NG troops Gov Blanco had already deployed to stop looting. I even stated why both Gov Blanco and Gov Halle Barber (R) rejected the offer.(they would not have been able to directly enforce Louisiana state law (i.e., control looting) under the provisions of the 1878 Posse Comitatus Act). Of course these FACTS donít fit your rewrite wing spin so you reject them with BS.
As for your two questions, 1. I donít have the exact number but a lot of people died in those five days. That is the whole point. It was five days later that President Bush got around to sending in Federal troops to conduct rescue operations. However less then 24 hours after Katrina struck President Bush went on TV and told us there had been some damage to Gulf Coast refineries and he was releasing oil from the strategic reserve. Vice President Cheney also redirected power line crews away from restoring electricity to hospitals to restore power to a pipeline. These two actions in combination clearly shows where the administrations priorities were. And it was not saving lives. 2. Your Mid West flooding question is nothing but a red herring. People in the mid west were not dying. They have received FEMA assistance. There is no comparison. Now time for you to answer a question. Do you think emergency management should be handled by the Federal Government or should FEMA be disbanded and emergency management be handled by the states?
She might of asked for federal help,but she wouldn't let them in,strange.The people in the mid west are still living in trailer camps/tents(many did die) and the main stream media won't say a word about it,why? You have to admit that if it was Bush they would be screaming bloody murder every chance they got.Seems like Obama gets a pass on all of his failures and the MSM keeps quiet.BTW: I am NOT a fan of BUSH and never have been but what is fail for one should be fair for the other.

Deltona Fla

#30 Dec 30, 2011
pigpen911 wrote:
<quoted text>She might of asked for federal help,but she wouldn't let them in,strange.The people in the mid west are still living in trailer camps/tents(many did die) and the main stream media won't say a word about it,why? You have to admit that if it was Bush they would be screaming bloody murder every chance they got.Seems like Obama gets a pass on all of his failures and the MSM keeps quiet.BTW: I am NOT a fan of BUSH and never have been but what is fail for one should be fair for the other.
That is lie. Federal troops did go in, 5 F-ing days later. President Bush wanted to merge the NG that was already there with the federal troops that were being deployed. That is all Blanco said no to. Twice I have stated the legal reason she refused the offer to merge. Halle Barber refused the same offer for the same reason. Blanco asked for assistance before the storm struck. She deployed some Louisiana NG to restore law and order. She had to borrow NG troops from Mississippi because half is the Louisiana NG was deployed in the Middle east. The few NG she was able to get were already in New Orleans a couple days before President Bush got around to sending in the Federal troops, which he did and they were not turned away. So again you are just telling big fat lies.

pigpen911

Location hidden

#31 Dec 30, 2011
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>That is lie. Federal troops did go in, 5 F-ing days later. President Bush wanted to merge the NG that was already there with the federal troops that were being deployed. That is all Blanco said no to. Twice I have stated the legal reason she refused the offer to merge. Halle Barber refused the same offer for the same reason. Blanco asked for assistance before the storm struck. She deployed some Louisiana NG to restore law and order. She had to borrow NG troops from Mississippi because half is the Louisiana NG was deployed in the Middle east. The few NG she was able to get were already in New Orleans a couple days before President Bush got around to sending in the Federal troops, which he did and they were not turned away. So again you are just telling big fat lies.
First Swampy don't call someone a liar because you don't like their reply.We have disagreed many times before and I never called you a liar.Your "facts"are a little slanted by whatever news source you got them from.Blanco was caught on tape when she thought the cameras were off saying she didn't want to let any of Bush's FEMA/troops in because she wouldn't let any republican take control of HER state,and people died because of HER.Barber didn't ave any problem letting in the "feds",don't know where you got that from,maybe Huffington Post? Again,don't act like a typical liberal democrat by attacking someone because you don't agree with them,you are better than that. Pigpen911 AKA Maddog2008.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#32 Dec 30, 2011
First they were victims of slavery, then victims of Katrina, what's next?

pigpen911

Location hidden

#33 Dec 30, 2011
inbred Genius wrote:
Victims of the system??OH wait,they already say that,I'll get back to answer your question latter.LOL
sources unlimited

Brooksville, FL

#34 Dec 30, 2011
George W. Bush was willing to pay some FEMA expenses out of pocket and also offered to buy a flooded out pickup truck from Katrina damage to use on the Crawford ranch.
He received a call from former Rep. Tom DeLay who labeled him as a damned fool and the idea was quickly forgotten.

“Allcladrad”

Since: Jan 10

New Orleans, LA

#35 Dec 30, 2011
"Sen. Mary Landrieu, a Louisiana Democrat who sponsored the provision, said disaster victims shouldn't be punished because FEMA was "dysfunctional."

Why punish them, why not punish the rest of the tax payers.

Deltona Fla

#36 Dec 30, 2011
pigpen911 wrote:
<quoted text>First Swampy don't call someone a liar because you don't like their reply.We have disagreed many times before and I never called you a liar.Your "facts"are a little slanted by whatever news source you got them from.Blanco was caught on tape when she thought the cameras were off saying she didn't want to let any of Bush's FEMA/troops in because she wouldn't let any republican take control of HER state,and people died because of HER.Barber didn't ave any problem letting in the "feds",don't know where you got that from,maybe Huffington Post? Again,don't act like a typical liberal democrat by attacking someone because you don't agree with them,you are better than that. Pigpen911 AKA Maddog2008.
I am calling you a liar because you are a goddamn liar. Blanco never stopped any federal troops from coming in. She also declared a state of emergency and requested federal assistance a day and a half before Katrina struck. Halle Barber sent NG troops to Louisiana and they were accepted. The only thing Blanco said no to was merging the NG with the federal troops. Halle Barber also said no to that. Your problem is you listen to Fox which is nothing but pure spin. Spin is when Blanco rejects a request to merge agencies Fox states it as "she refused federal help". If she accepts 2,581 federal requests and rejects one then technically "she refused federal help". Then dumb shmucks like you actually believe "she refused federal help".

Deltona Fla

#37 Dec 30, 2011
inbred Genius wrote:
The worst is yet to come, Republicanism.

“Allcladrad”

Since: Jan 10

New Orleans, LA

#38 Dec 30, 2011
Swamp,
The Rs ended slavery.

Deltona Fla

#39 Dec 30, 2011
allcladrad wrote:
Swamp,
The Rs ended slavery.
Back when they were Liberals. What ever happened? They have become what they once against.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#40 Dec 30, 2011
Lacy wrote:
<quoted text>
American citizens were dying from exposure.
LIAR! First of all there's no such thing as an "American citizens" and secondly two couties in Louisiana are not matter of national security, you commie. The president warned the people to evacuate, they stayed...even though the president offered an AMTRAC train to evacuate the night before the storm and it left EMPTY! LOL! Somehow, the stupid people who stayed are supposed to blame the president for their stupid deaths? LOL! Their deaths wasn't murphies law, it was darwin's theory in practice.

Deltona Fla

#41 Dec 30, 2011
They have become what they once fought against.

Deltona Fla

#42 Dec 30, 2011
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>LIAR! First of all there's no such thing as an "American citizens" and secondly two couties in Louisiana are not matter of national security, you commie. The president warned the people to evacuate, they stayed...even though the president offered an AMTRAC train to evacuate the night before the storm and it left EMPTY! LOL! Somehow, the stupid people who stayed are supposed to blame the president for their stupid deaths? LOL! Their deaths wasn't murphies law, it was darwin's theory in practice.
You sure are one hateful bitch, aren't you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mary Landrieu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wisconsin AG: Undercover campaign videos reveal... Apr '17 huntcoyotes 27
News Conservative activist Oa Keefe posts tapes targ... Feb '17 anonymous 9
News Video: Democratic activist brags of disrupting ... (Oct '16) Oct '16 o see the light 28
News Mayor Landrieu backs Hillary Clinton in preside... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Obama Faithful La... 1
News With David Vittera s loss, a spot of blue in th... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Ritual Habitual 1
News Lawmakers back company responsible for decade-o... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Barack the Yellow 3
News A clarifying period of media bias (May '15) May '15 Nopervs 1
More from around the web