Floodwaters Close Mississippi Casinos

Floodwaters Close Mississippi Casinos

There are 34 comments on the WCTI story from May 12, 2011, titled Floodwaters Close Mississippi Casinos. In it, WCTI reports that:

An agonizing three weeks await the residents of three southern states as a historic flood crest slowly worked its way downstream Thursday toward New Orleans along the Mississippi River.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WCTI.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#26 May 12, 2011
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>Scouring only occures where there are strong currents, not over entire flooded areas. As far as not saying anything about Obama, who the F else would you be talking about. You now just trying to play word games that have nothing to do with reality. You must be a Republican.
You're an idiot, as in uneducated. You get just enough information to serve your clueless agenda and profess it as the be-all to end-all gospel. The fact is that, on top of the scouring, the topsoil will be washed away and river silt will take its place. It will likely take generations to return to its former fertility.

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#27 May 12, 2011
Far Away wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot, as in uneducated. You get just enough information to serve your clueless agenda and profess it as the be-all to end-all gospel. The fact is that, on top of the scouring, the topsoil will be washed away and river silt will take its place. It will likely take generations to return to its former fertility.
Scouring is when the top soil is washed away moron. That river silt is what turned the Mississippi Valley into fertile farmland over thousands of years of flooding. The point is it came down to a choice of letting empty countryside flood or letting crowded urban areas flood. Now the Right is bitching because the decision was to let empty countryside flood. You are just looking for things to complain about.

Since: Jan 11

El Paso, TX

#28 May 12, 2011
There goes the economy in the Mid East.
Paul Revere

Ormond Beach, FL

#30 May 12, 2011
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>After Katrina city government did not exist and the state government was in shambles. So are you saying that Bush intentionally let people die because he had not received the proper paper work? That is worse then doing nothing out of negligence. I didnít like Bush but I would never accuse his of something like that without some pretty strong proof.
Before Katrina they did! Then Gov. Blanco & Mayor Nagin had several days Aug. 26th-28th before Katrina made landfall on the 29th to impose a mandatory evacuation. Guess you forgot the photo's of the unused buses sitting in a parking lot. They could have mobilized the National Guard, but did not. They were sloth like in their response and were obviously ill prepared, as well as being in denial of the storms potential as were many. They dropped the ball, neither ran for re-election, go figure. Stop blaming everyone else but them.
Mac

Darby, PA

#31 May 12, 2011
It is. Everything that happens is eventually compared to the previous administration (SOS). What good does that do? It happens on almost every topic. The only thing missing here was the personal attack from you. Nice to see the mudslinging take a back seat in your comment.
swampmudd wrote:
<quoted text>It is not the same old ****. FEMA and the Corps of Engineers blew up some levies so that country side would flood instead of urban areas. That is doing something. Bush did nothing after Katrina.

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#32 May 12, 2011
Paul Revere wrote:
<quoted text> Before Katrina they did! Then Gov. Blanco & Mayor Nagin had several days Aug. 26th-28th before Katrina made landfall on the 29th to impose a mandatory evacuation. Guess you forgot the photo's of the unused buses sitting in a parking lot. They could have mobilized the National Guard, but did not. They were sloth like in their response and were obviously ill prepared, as well as being in denial of the storms potential as were many. They dropped the ball, neither ran for re-election, go figure. Stop blaming everyone else but them.
What are you talking about. There was a full scale evacuation going on. The system was overwhelmed. The roads were at a standstill. Many of the private gas stations were closed down and boarded up. People were sitting in traffic so long they were running out of gas. Eighty five percent of the city was able to get out. Plaquemines Parish was completely evacuated along with several other coastal parishes. It was the largest evacuation in the history of this Country. Overnight Houston gained several million extra people. Then Katrina hit, then the levies broke. The entire state was devastated. Roads were blocked by trees. Power lines down everywhere. Debris everywhere. State recourses were overwhelmed just handling the stranded evacuees on the highways. Less then 24 hours after Katrina struck Bush had assessments of the refineries and platforms. He opened up the strategic reserve to offset lost production from that area. He never once tried to find out what the situation in New Orleans was. He was to busy figuring which buddy would get the next big contract. After all he was a war time President and had department heads to handle that day to day stuff of running the Country.

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#33 May 12, 2011
Mac wrote:
It is. Everything that happens is eventually compared to the previous administration (SOS). What good does that do? It happens on almost every topic. The only thing missing here was the personal attack from you. Nice to see the mudslinging take a back seat in your comment. <quoted text>
There are comparisons that are fair and justified. But crying about Obama and comparing him to Bush after Katrina because the Corps of Engineers opted to flood farm land instead of letting cities go under is ridiculous. It was a tough decision but somebody was on the job to make it.
Amazed

United States

#34 May 12, 2011
I think opening the Morganza Spillway is going to make blowing up those levees and flooding farmland last week look pretty mild. I can't understand why they are still talking like the decision to open Morganza hasn't been made yet - it will have to happen. If it doesn't open you will have water in metro New Orleans measured in feet not inches. I hope they can actually get Morganza open - it isn't in great shape and the last time it was opened was 1973. I was in Pierre Part and Morgan City today and they are filling sandbags like crazy - the water is already way up and the crest is nowhere near there yet. On the way there we passed house after house in the area the spillway runoff will get - they will not even show above the water next week after Morganza is opened.

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#35 May 13, 2011
Amazed wrote:
I think opening the Morganza Spillway is going to make blowing up those levees and flooding farmland last week look pretty mild. I can't understand why they are still talking like the decision to open Morganza hasn't been made yet - it will have to happen. If it doesn't open you will have water in metro New Orleans measured in feet not inches. I hope they can actually get Morganza open - it isn't in great shape and the last time it was opened was 1973. I was in Pierre Part and Morgan City today and they are filling sandbags like crazy - the water is already way up and the crest is nowhere near there yet. On the way there we passed house after house in the area the spillway runoff will get - they will not even show above the water next week after Morganza is opened.

Since: May 08

Deltona Fla

#36 May 13, 2011
Amazed

United States

#38 May 14, 2011
The back and forth on this is all fine and good but pretty academic at this point. Even though Jindle and Obama don't care for each other very much they are both pretty much all over this flood - Obama declared the disaster before the first drop went over the bank and Jindle has already requested help two weeks ago at the federal level beginning with requests through the Army Corps of Engineers. Everybody involved in Katrina screwed up but it just doesn't apply here.
JJJ

Meridian, ID

#39 May 14, 2011
The laughing liberal wrote:
Why isn't Spike Lee blaming the Black president and accusing him of Blowing Up the Dams to Kill poor people as hie did with the whitey Bush?
http://sweetness-light.com/archive/surprise-s...
Now you people know what it was like after Katrina. Hope you recover quickly. Good luck.
Amazed

United States

#40 May 15, 2011
JJJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you people know what it was like after Katrina. Hope you recover quickly. Good luck.
This won't be anywhere near as bad as what folks went through in Katrina. Don't worry though - you still look like a jackass even though your comparisons are incorrect.
Common

Darby, PA

#41 May 15, 2011
But, it is Bush's fault!
Amazed wrote:
<quoted text>
This won't be anywhere near as bad as what folks went through in Katrina. Don't worry though - you still look like a jackass even though your comparisons are incorrect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mary Landrieu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wisconsin AG: Undercover campaign videos reveal... Apr '17 huntcoyotes 27
News Conservative activist Oa Keefe posts tapes targ... (Feb '17) Feb '17 anonymous 9
News Video: Democratic activist brags of disrupting ... (Oct '16) Oct '16 o see the light 28
News Mayor Landrieu backs Hillary Clinton in preside... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Obama Faithful La... 1
News With David Vittera s loss, a spot of blue in th... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Ritual Habitual 1
News Lawmakers back company responsible for decade-o... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Barack the Yellow 3
News A clarifying period of media bias (May '15) May '15 Nopervs 1
More from around the web