No free pass for Medicare recipients ...

No free pass for Medicare recipients in debt talks

There are 140 comments on the The Kansas City Star story from Jul 9, 2011, titled No free pass for Medicare recipients in debt talks. In it, The Kansas City Star reports that:

A debt-busting deal on the scale that President Barack Obama and House Speaker John Boehner are seeking all but guarantees that people on Medicare would feel at least some of the pain.Low-income people on Medicaid wouldn't escape totally, either.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Kansas City Star.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#132 Jul 24, 2011
Nation of Imbeciles wrote:
<quoted text>
The mission of Team Bush was to loot the treasury for all it was worth and they succeeded. The four largest financial sponsors of the Republican party were the pharmaceutical industry, big oil, defense, and Wall Street and their investment banks.
The pill bill, the Iraq War and nation building, the administration oil policy and market oil price manipuation, and the TARP all were gravy for these benefactors of the party. Invest a few million and get back billions in tax dollars.
Bingo. You hit exactly on it - big oil got their war in Iraq to secure that oil field in Iraq, Haliburton and all of the other defense contractors got trillions in contracts, Wall Street got the middle class's homes and the stock holders of big Pharma made boatloads of money off of the Medicare drug deal. Bush looked for every government deal he could find to hand the rich the country's wealth. Mission accomplished alright. You got it exactly right.

God only knows what Bush III would do. Oh my. A war in Iran, secure oil in Iran, more profits for Haliburton. What new scheme do they come up with to finish off the middle class? Sell ending the minimum wage I guess. Oh, and Bushy II gave the corporations tax breaks for globalization too, for outsourcing the jobs to China. The damage Bush did was permanent. One has to think if Obama knew what Bush had done and if Obama knew the entire economy was going to go under two months before he took office from Bush handing Wall Street everyone's houses, would Obama even have wanted to take the job? Obama thought it was going to be spend, spend, spend, oh my. He ended up walking into spent, spent, spent, no more left to spend. LOL.
ZIAmouth585

Santa Fe, NM

#134 Jul 24, 2011
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I was a Repub forever, but after Bush II, I am over the old time Repubs.s I love Ron Paul, just love it that he tells the truth about both parties and has real solutions that stand apart from party politics. It's like - another Dem, more giveaway programs, another Repub, another war for Haliburton, or Ron Paul, end welfare and the wars, end both parties' spending.
I heard that the oil companies make more than any other businesses. Rachael Maddow showed their profits. It was higher than any other businesses on Earth. What I don't like is they make an extra 40 percent when we are in a recession/depression, but they don't get the blame for the high gas prices, Obama gets the blame - Hannity and Rush blame Obama while Hannity and Rush make the money on their oil stocks. It's not right, IMO.
You can't blame them for making money. Also, in total profit, the oil companies have made the most. They also have huge expenses. Again, the focus should be on their profit margin. What profit margin do you think prescription drug companies operate under?

What I do oppose though, is tax breaks and tax credits they are given. But then again, I oppose them for everyone although their are circumstances when a general credit (for all) for a short duration is fine.
Nation of Imbeciles

San Antonio, TX

#135 Jul 24, 2011
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>Bingo. You hit exactly on it - big oil got their war in Iraq to secure that oil field in Iraq, Haliburton and all of the other defense contractors got trillions in contracts, Wall Street got the middle class's homes and the stock holders of big Pharma made boatloads of money off of the Medicare drug deal. Bush looked for every government deal he could find to hand the rich the country's wealth. Mission accomplished alright. You got it exactly right.

God only knows what Bush III would do. Oh my. A war in Iran, secure oil in Iran, more profits for Haliburton. What new scheme do they come up with to finish off the middle class? Sell ending the minimum wage I guess. Oh, and Bushy II gave the corporations tax breaks for globalization too, for outsourcing the jobs to China. The damage Bush did was permanent. One has to think if Obama knew what Bush had done and if Obama knew the entire economy was going to go under two months before he took office from Bush handing Wall Street everyone's houses, would Obama even have wanted to take the job? Obama thought it was going to be spend, spend, spend, oh my. He ended up walking into spent, spent, spent, no more left to spend. LOL.
I agree with you. I think the presumptions of Team OBAMA were that the economy would heal itself like it always within two years so they could blow a pisspot of money in the duration of the recovery, claim the usual anticipated victory and no one would be the wiser.

Fortunately for Americans, in a bittersweet way, their usual hijinx backfired.
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#136 Jul 24, 2011
<quoted text>
I agree with you. I think the presumptions of Team OBAMA were that the economy would heal itself like it always within two years so they could blow a pisspot of money in the duration of the recovery, claim the usual anticipated victory and no one would be the wiser.
Fortunately for Americans, in a bittersweet way, their usual hijinx backfired.
Exactly. It really is at a comedy. It just shows both parties' policies have blown up the country, they are all so full of it that neither party can look good or do any of their old tactics any longer. Yup, Obama thought all would be well in a few years, and he was going to spend, spend, spend. Instead, his state pensions are all in trillions of dollars of debt, more and more people are on welfare and the Dems SS and Medicare are going under. He has no where to go with anything. It's like the Dems can't spend as usual cause the Repubs destroyed the country by giving all to the rich. Hilarious.

What I wonder about now is if they default on the debt or the country's credit rating is downgraded, then do the rich finally go broke too? If Wall Street crashes over the rich running up all of this debt and a credit downgrade, it will be funny. The middle class has nothing left to lose, now it's as if the rich ate the middle class so now they are going under from it. They talk about how if the U.S. defaults on its debt the world's economies will go under. Well, since most countries have us screwed with outsourcing, who cares? Let them all go under. I don't know the implications of all of it, but it if only hurts the rich and the countries that have our jobs, I say go ahead and default.
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#137 Jul 24, 2011
ZIAmouth585 wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't blame them for making money. Also, in total profit, the oil companies have made the most. They also have huge expenses. Again, the focus should be on their profit margin. What profit margin do you think prescription drug companies operate under?
What I do oppose though, is tax breaks and tax credits they are given. But then again, I oppose them for everyone although their are circumstances when a general credit (for all) for a short duration is fine.
Yes, I think the oil company subsidies were originally created a long time ago when the industry was still developing. I think energy subsidies are supposed to go to new companies developing new sources of energy. I would rather the government take the subsidies from oil companies and now give those subsidies to the new start up energy companies, the green companies that don't have money. I think that was the original intention. Help to develop new sources of energy.
Chuckie

Broken Arrow, OK

#138 Jul 24, 2011
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>Medicaid is all free. It's free to the millions of people who are on it, so it runs up debt at the speed of light. There are not even any tiny copayments. Most of the expense if wealthy old people on SS and Medicare hiding their homes and other assets to get into rest homes for free. That's why Paul Ryan wants to cut 800 billion dollars from Medicaid by ending the free rest home care. With 79 million baby boomers going onto SS and Medicare and then they will all want free rest home care too eventually, the costs for those three programs would use up about 200 percent of the federal budget ten years from now. CA just set up copayments for Medicaid for the first time in Medicaid's history. CA is going broke, and this way, if people have to pay $5 or $10 when they go to see a doctor, they won't be running to the doctor for no reason just because it is all free to them. The tiny copayment will probably bring the cost of Medicaid services down substantially. Who knows, maybe by 30 percent or more.
You should do a little more research on Medicare it is not totally free as you describe. Employees and employers pay into the system while working through payroll deductions. After one signs up for Medicare there is also a monthly premium to pay. The problem is congress through the years have not increased the deductions to support the system along with allowing enormous amounts of waste, fraud, and abuse. There are copays and that is why people on Medicare purchase supplemental health insurance to cover copays and medications.
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#139 Jul 24, 2011
Chuckie wrote:
<quoted text>
You should do a little more research on Medicare it is not totally free as you describe. Employees and employers pay into the system while working through payroll deductions. After one signs up for Medicare there is also a monthly premium to pay. The problem is congress through the years have not increased the deductions to support the system along with allowing enormous amounts of waste, fraud, and abuse. There are copays and that is why people on Medicare purchase supplemental health insurance to cover copays and medications.
No. I am talking about Medicaid, not Medicare. NO one pays into Medicaid and the people on it pay nothing, not one cent. It is all paid for by taxpayers. And, it just came out on Fox that 40 percent of children being born today will be eligible for Medicaid. So where is the money going to come from? And, Obamacare puts millions more people in each state onto Medicaid. Who is going to pay for it?
ZIAmouth585

Santa Fe, NM

#140 Jul 24, 2011
From MEDICAID website:

Medicaid is available only to certain low-income individuals and families who fit into an eligibility group that is recognized by federal and state law. Medicaid does not pay money to you; instead, it sends payments directly to your health care providers. Depending on your state's rules, you may also be asked to pay a small part of the cost (co-payment) for some medical services.

Medicaid is a state administered program and each state sets its own guidelines regarding eligibility and services. Read more about your state Medicaid program.

Many groups of people are covered by Medicaid. Even within these groups, though, certain requirements must be met. These may include your age, whether you are pregnant, disabled, blind, or aged; your income and resources (like bank accounts, real property, or other items that can be sold for cash); and whether you are a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted immigrant. The rules for counting your income and resources vary from state to state and from group to group. There are special rules for those who live in nursing homes and for disabled children living at home.

Your child may be eligible for coverage if he or she is a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted immigrant, even if you are not (however, there is a 5-year limit that applies to lawful permanent residents). Eligibility for children is based on the child's status, not the parent's. Also, if someone else's child lives with you, the child may be eligible even if you are not because your income and resources will not count for the child.

http://www.cms.gov/MedicaidGenInfo/
Chuckie

Broken Arrow, OK

#141 Jul 24, 2011
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>No. I am talking about Medicaid, not Medicare. NO one pays into Medicaid and the people on it pay nothing, not one cent. It is all paid for by taxpayers. And, it just came out on Fox that 40 percent of children being born today will be eligible for Medicaid. So where is the money going to come from? And, Obamacare puts millions more people in each state onto Medicaid. Who is going to pay for it?
Oh Ok. I would prefer that the waste, fraud, and abuse be eliminated first before just cutting. Without knowing how much waste, fraud, and abuse that is in the system they do not really know how much the system is costing the tax payers. Seems the media can find the waste, fraud, and abuse in the systems but out government does not have the intelligence to do the same. And these same people are protecting this country.lol
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#142 Jul 24, 2011
Chuckie wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Ok. I would prefer that the waste, fraud, and abuse be eliminated first before just cutting. Without knowing how much waste, fraud, and abuse that is in the system they do not really know how much the system is costing the tax payers. Seems the media can find the waste, fraud, and abuse in the systems but out government does not have the intelligence to do the same. And these same people are protecting this country.lol
Yeah, I heard Lou Dobbs say that there is like 50 billion dollars a year in Medicare fraud. Imagine that. People are getting filthy rich doing Medicare and Medicaid fraud. There must be some way to verify services, to stop that level of fraud. You are right, these are the people protecting the country. Oh my. The politicians waste hundreds of billions of dollars a year on all kinds of things, on having ten agencies doing same thing, on all kinds of things they don't pay any attention to.
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#143 Jul 24, 2011
ZIAmouth585 wrote:
From MEDICAID website:
Medicaid is available only to certain low-income individuals and families who fit into an eligibility group that is recognized by federal and state law. Medicaid does not pay money to you; instead, it sends payments directly to your health care providers. Depending on your state's rules, you may also be asked to pay a small part of the cost (co-payment) for some medical services.
Medicaid is a state administered program and each state sets its own guidelines regarding eligibility and services. Read more about your state Medicaid program.
Many groups of people are covered by Medicaid. Even within these groups, though, certain requirements must be met. These may include your age, whether you are pregnant, disabled, blind, or aged; your income and resources (like bank accounts, real property, or other items that can be sold for cash); and whether you are a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted immigrant. The rules for counting your income and resources vary from state to state and from group to group. There are special rules for those who live in nursing homes and for disabled children living at home.
Your child may be eligible for coverage if he or she is a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted immigrant, even if you are not (however, there is a 5-year limit that applies to lawful permanent residents). Eligibility for children is based on the child's status, not the parent's. Also, if someone else's child lives with you, the child may be eligible even if you are not because your income and resources will not count for the child.
http://www.cms.gov/MedicaidGenInfo/
The new Dem governor in CA just set up copayments for Medicaid for the first time. It will be interesting to see how much money is saved after the first year of copays. People can own homes. It's based on their income. I see rich old people now saying that they are going to use the Medicaid part of Obamacare because it will go to people who have incomes of less than 75K a year, they can own a home and have assets, so if they make less than 75K a year retired, they want to use Medicaid as their Medicare supplement. That's the problem with all of these giveaway programs. There will be like 2.5 trillion dollars in new taxes to pay for Obamacare, and it will go to rich old folks, all kinds of people who are not one bit poor. When the government gives out free money, each person figures out how to get it eventually.
ZIAmouth585

Santa Fe, NM

#144 Jul 24, 2011
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>The new Dem governor in CA just set up copayments for Medicaid for the first time. It will be interesting to see how much money is saved after the first year of copays. People can own homes. It's based on their income. I see rich old people now saying that they are going to use the Medicaid part of Obamacare because it will go to people who have incomes of less than 75K a year, they can own a home and have assets, so if they make less than 75K a year retired, they want to use Medicaid as their Medicare supplement. That's the problem with all of these giveaway programs. There will be like 2.5 trillion dollars in new taxes to pay for Obamacare, and it will go to rich old folks, all kinds of people who are not one bit poor. When the government gives out free money, each person figures out how to get it eventually.
You know you hit on something that bothers me. I have seen too many instances of the "home" not counting. Can be worth millions but doesn't count. That in itself is outrageous. Plus in some instances "unearned" money does not count.

Check this out - guy wins money in Michigan and still collecting foodstamps. http://abcnews.go.com/Business/2m-michigan-lo...
Chuckie

Broken Arrow, OK

#145 Jul 24, 2011
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I heard Lou Dobbs say that there is like 50 billion dollars a year in Medicare fraud. Imagine that. People are getting filthy rich doing Medicare and Medicaid fraud. There must be some way to verify services, to stop that level of fraud. You are right, these are the people protecting the country. Oh my. The politicians waste hundreds of billions of dollars a year on all kinds of things, on having ten agencies doing same thing, on all kinds of things they don't pay any attention to.
I have heard estimates higher than that. They are estimate and no one knows what the real figures are so how do they know what the actual costs of medicare and medicaid are? But they want to go and cut cut cut. How stupid.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#146 Jul 24, 2011
Wall Street Government wrote:
How many Americans would give their neighbor $500? I (U.S.) only have $100 in my pocket and I'm going to give $500 to my neighbor (foreign country) on my American Express (debt). Meanwhile, I'll (U.S. citizens)eat pork and beans (without the pork). This should be the STARTING point for debt/spending reduction not withstanding the massive nation building we are undertaking in Iraq/Afghanistan.
Please read about the passing of this General the other day.

Retired Army Gen. John Shalikashvili, the first foreign-born chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who counseled President Bill Clinton on the use of troops in Bosnia....In a farewell interview with The Associated Press in 1997, Shalikashvili said American military and civilian authorities need to cooperate more when they decide to get involved in such trouble spots, because so much of what the military is asked to do involves humanitarian or peacekeeping operations.

For example, he said, the military might need assistance from the Justice Department to help set up police forces, or advice from the State Department on economic aid.

"We know the agencies, but who is responsible for coordinating it, bringing it all in at the right time?" he said. "Haiti, Bosnia, Rwanda, even Somalia, showed us these things go forward from the first day, and there is no coordinator."

http://www.komonews.com/news/national/1260650...

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#147 Jul 24, 2011
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>Medicaid is all free. It's free to the millions of people who are on it, so it runs up debt at the speed of light. There are not even any tiny copayments. Most of the expense if wealthy old people on SS and Medicare hiding their homes and other assets to get into rest homes for free. That's why Paul Ryan wants to cut 800 billion dollars from Medicaid by ending the free rest home care. With 79 million baby boomers going onto SS and Medicare and then they will all want free rest home care too eventually, the costs for those three programs would use up about 200 percent of the federal budget ten years from now. CA just set up copayments for Medicaid for the first time in Medicaid's history. CA is going broke, and this way, if people have to pay $5 or $10 when they go to see a doctor, they won't be running to the doctor for no reason just because it is all free to them. The tiny copayment will probably bring the cost of Medicaid services down substantially. Who knows, maybe by 30 percent or more.
The biggest reason we have this debt is unfunded wars that have been going on since 2001.

Please stop blaming Medicare, Medicaid and the poor. The fault is Congress raiding those trust funds, borrowing to pay for two wars, and creating thousands of new agencies all in the name of "Iraqi Freedom", "Al Qaeda" and the "Taliban".
Nation of Imbeciles

San Antonio, TX

#148 Jul 24, 2011
ZIAmouth585 wrote:
<quoted text>You can't blame them for making money. Also, in total profit, the oil companies have made the most. They also have huge expenses. Again, the focus should be on their profit margin. What profit margin do you think prescription drug companies operate under?

What difference does that make? The tax code is already skewed in favor of these corporations. The oil companies were just testifying 2 months ago in congress that gas prices will go up even higher if their tax credits were repealed. Congress doesn't care about you because they don't have to care. They take care of the corps who are number one. Just be glad you live in a kleptocracy where you enjoy the privilege of being a revenue producing insect.
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#149 Jul 24, 2011
<quoted text>
What difference does that make? The tax code is already skewed in favor of these corporations. The oil companies were just testifying 2 months ago in congress that gas prices will go up even higher if their tax credits were repealed. Congress doesn't care about you because they don't have to care. They take care of the corps who are number one. Just be glad you live in a kleptocracy where you enjoy the privilege of being a revenue producing insect.
Ron Paul has a sign on his desk that says "don't steal, the government doesn't want any competition."
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#150 Jul 24, 2011
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>The biggest reason we have this debt is unfunded wars that have been going on since 2001.
Please stop blaming Medicare, Medicaid and the poor. The fault is Congress raiding those trust funds, borrowing to pay for two wars, and creating thousands of new agencies all in the name of "Iraqi Freedom", "Al Qaeda" and the "Taliban".
Most of those 140 million folks on or going onto SS and Medicare are middle class or wealthy, not poor. You can't only respond to every post based on your income, what government programs you are on forever. There is more to life than your SSD, your Medicare, your free meds, your free food, your budget, how the government is not doing enough for you, and your constant knee jerk reactions to anyone dealing with the entitlements. If the 120 TRILLION dollars of debt in the entitlements was not the problem, both parties would not be trying to cut those two programs, and those two programs will end up using 97 percent of the entire budget in the next ten years. You can't get your mind around indigent people will not get cut off even though you are indigent because you can't think of anything other than your needs, your income, the government personally helping you. There's a whole world of trees and animals and other folks out there. The whole entire world is not just your SSD, your medical care and your budget, etc.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#151 Jul 24, 2011
And the dupe of orange is saying taking my $963.00 a month disability check will balance the Budget.

You all whine Obama is worried about his re-election while your insane clown posse is in Iowa busy signing any pledge Grover tells them to. You Tea Party slugs have been campaigning for next years election since Jan 19th 2010.

And you aren't fooling anyone besides the fools who THOUGHT you could do the job.

Oh and speaking of jobs........

ROFLMAO

As Aretha Franklin sang, "Who's zoomin WHO"

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#152 Jul 24, 2011
DNF wrote:
And the dupe of orange is saying taking my $963.00 a month disability check will balance the Budget.
You all whine Obama is worried about his re-election while your insane clown posse is in Iowa busy signing any pledge Grover tells them to. You Tea Party slugs have been campaigning for next years election since Jan 19th 2010.
And you aren't fooling anyone besides the fools who THOUGHT you could do the job.
Oh and speaking of jobs........
ROFLMAO
As Aretha Franklin sang, "Who's zoomin WHO"
Tom the Dancing Bug by Ruben Bolling
http://www.gocomics.com/tomthedancingbug/2011...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Senator Mark Warner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News After Russia's election interference, pulling b... Nov '17 anonz 3
News Republican Ed Gillespie concedes Virginia Senat... (Nov '14) Nov '17 Raydot 5
News Romney to Host Fundraiser for Virginia Hopeful ... (Mar '14) Nov '17 Pocahontas of Cha... 2
News Facebook under fire as it reveals 150m American... Nov '17 Fundies R Mentall... 4
News Mark Zuckerberg says Facebook will share Russia... Oct '17 positronium 6
News Facebook to turn over Russia-linked adsabout 2 ... Oct '17 4sure 4
News UPDATE 1-Twitter to label election ads after U.... Oct '17 Larry Craig s WC ... 1
More from around the web