Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Bill to ...

Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Bill to be Introduced in Senate Tomorrow

There are 38 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Mar 2, 2010, titled Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Bill to be Introduced in Senate Tomorrow. In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

Senator Joe Lieberman , along with Senators Carl Levin , Mark Udall , Kirsten Gillibrand , and Roland Burris have announced that they will hold a press conference to introduce legislation called The Military Readiness Enhancement Act of 2010, aimed at repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rev Ray T

Topeka, KS

#21 Mar 2, 2010
octabama wrote:
Can men take showers with the women??? I'm in if that is true!!!
See,that is exactly the way gay men will not be thinking. You are the sex maniac, not us.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#22 Mar 2, 2010
I think it will get lost in comittee until after the midterms.

After that, I suspect that it is to be used as political capital ... and traded away for votes on other things.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#23 Mar 2, 2010
rdg1234 wrote:
Funnily enough, this is how I've always, always thought it should happen. To me, as "outlandish" as it may sound to some (who cares), the military itself has *ZERO* business ruling on this. This should be done *by* congress or the president,*instructing and ordering them* that effective the very next day, DADT is null and void.
It's bad enough that our military is forever and ever and ever tainted by the cowardice and stupidity that was "don't ask don't tell," and that supposedly "intelligent, noble" military leaders ever supported it. I mean, it takes a special kind of scumbag to hate your fellow officers that way. Nothing about them is honorable. Nothing at all.
Yup.
and since I was dealing with a few of those "noble sheep" on anther thread allow me to post YET again one of my favs from YouTube

Namaste my friend. We WILL beat them.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#24 Mar 2, 2010
Stan Franton wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm upstate New York and we've only had about 18" of snow so fat this year.(The Equinox is not far off and as an amateur astronomer of 40 years, I am counting the days away.:))
I hear the south, such as D.C. and Texas has gotten far more snow than we have up here.
PEACE !
:)
Well to be honest I'm glad you're doing OK then. I get a bit nasty with you sometimes and often it's simply my outrage with the hetero religious fascists that get me going. Sorry I take it out on you. My apology doesn't make it right. I just wanted to admit to you I am sometimes wrong in how I treat you.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#25 Mar 3, 2010
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
In 1992, Democrat Clinton was elected POTUS. Two years later, the Republicans took control of BOTH houses of congress for the remainder of Clinton's term.
The same thing is now predicted for Obamaniac.
And don't forget, he will then use that as an excuse for NOT repealing DADT & DOMA and blame the Republicans, when he certainly could do it TODAY, or anytime between teh day he took office and January 2011.
He could ask Congress to repeal both laws, which he refuses to do, or he could simply end DADT with a simple stroke of his Presidential pen, by issuing an order as Commander-In-Chief, to all those serving under his command, that the law not be enforced. Do you think the Democrats in congress would impeach him if he did ?
If you think the supports the repeal of DADT and DOMA, and supports Equal Rights for gay Americans, then I have a bridge here in Brooklyn that I would like to sell you.(And no, it's not the Manhattan Bridge).
I disagree he could end DADTDP with a stroke of a pen. Ido agree that if he really wanted to he could order DON'T PURSUE be followed without question, by a simple direct order and his signature.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#26 Mar 3, 2010
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Well to be honest I'm glad you're doing OK then. I get a bit nasty with you sometimes and often it's simply my outrage with the hetero religious fascists that get me going. Sorry I take it out on you. My apology doesn't make it right. I just wanted to admit to you I am sometimes wrong in how I treat you.
I'm openly Christian, and openly gay. I relocated my place of residence about 8 months ago and I have been looking for a newe church to attend.

I attended my previous church, The Sayville Congregational United Church Of Christ,(established 1858), regularly for the past 14 years, and I miss it a lot.

In the past few months I have attended:
1 Methodist church
1 Episcopal church
2 churches of The United Church Of Christ
3 Lutheran churches

I plan on attending church this Sunday at 2 Lutheran churches in Albany, about 50 miles from here.

It's important to me that I find a church I like.

Incidentally, if you are unfamiliar with Protestant tradition, it is the custom to share a meal and drink after the last Sunday service. At each church I attended, I did so, and spoke to the pastor and asked if they had any objections to homosexuality or an openly gay guy like myself attending their church. In EACH instance, the pastor said they had no objections to gay people and I was welcome to join the church.

I think the common misconception that all Christians, especially pastors, are hostile to gay people, is perpetuated by a very vocal few people, as it certainly has not been my experience, and that has been with several denominations.

PEACE !

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#27 Mar 3, 2010
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm openly Christian, and openly gay. I relocated my place of residence about 8 months ago and I have been looking for a newe church to attend.
I attended my previous church, The Sayville Congregational United Church Of Christ,(established 1858), regularly for the past 14 years, and I miss it a lot.
In the past few months I have attended:
1 Methodist church
1 Episcopal church
2 churches of The United Church Of Christ
3 Lutheran churches
I plan on attending church this Sunday at 2 Lutheran churches in Albany, about 50 miles from here.
It's important to me that I find a church I like.
Incidentally, if you are unfamiliar with Protestant tradition, it is the custom to share a meal and drink after the last Sunday service. At each church I attended, I did so, and spoke to the pastor and asked if they had any objections to homosexuality or an openly gay guy like myself attending their church. In EACH instance, the pastor said they had no objections to gay people and I was welcome to join the church.
I think the common misconception that all Christians, especially pastors, are hostile to gay people, is perpetuated by a very vocal few people, as it certainly has not been my experience, and that has been with several denominations.
PEACE !
My Dad was born in Gloversville or lived there as child. I found the Unitarian Universalist Church in Baltimore to be the perfect match for me. Perhaps you may want to vist one in your area if you have one. Haven't found a church here yet.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#28 Mar 3, 2010
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>My Dad was born in Gloversville or lived there as child. I found the Unitarian Universalist Church in Baltimore to be the perfect match for me. Perhaps you may want to vist one in your area if you have one. Haven't found a church here yet.
Do you believe in synchronicity ?(I do.) I ask because I never heard of Gloversville before I moved here a few months ago, and now I have run into mentions of it twice elsewhere......(I also believe in ghosts but that's another forum).

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#29 Mar 3, 2010
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
In 1992, Democrat Clinton was elected POTUS. Two years later, the Republicans took control of BOTH houses of congress for the remainder of Clinton's term.
The same thing is now predicted for Obamaniac.
And don't forget, he will then use that as an excuse for NOT repealing DADT & DOMA and blame the Republicans, when he certainly could do it TODAY, or anytime between teh day he took office and January 2011.
He could ask Congress to repeal both laws, which he refuses to do, or he could simply end DADT with a simple stroke of his Presidential pen, by issuing an order as Commander-In-Chief, to all those serving under his command, that the law not be enforced. Do you think the Democrats in congress would impeach him if he did ?
If you think the supports the repeal of DADT and DOMA, and supports Equal Rights for gay Americans, then I have a bridge here in Brooklyn that I would like to sell you.(And no, it's not the Manhattan Bridge).
Yeah, and if he did tell them to quit enforcing it, the next President, probably Republican, could walk in and rescind the order. The only good way is for Congress to repeal it. I don't believe he should order it not enforced, because if I were in the military, I would not want that sword hanging over my head for 3 or 7 more years, waiting to fall at the whim of the next President.
Tennesseeox

Cincinnati, OH

#30 Mar 3, 2010
While I support open service by GLBT people, I feel the biggest obstacle to the repeal of DADT is one of perception. I knew many gay soldiers while I was in the Army, they handled themselves with dignity and decorum, the same that is expected out of anyone. But I do know that noone wants Perez Hilton in the barracks, or the guys you see in the parades in the buttless chaps, ball gag, being led around on a leash, and that is the perception of gays in America. The GLBT community really needs to educate people that they are just like everyone else and will act in a decent and respectful manner as I know they do. But as long as the sterotypes are allowed to be considered the norm than they wont be accepted. Education is key and would help tremendously toward getting the civil rights gays deserve.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#31 Mar 3, 2010
Tennesseeox wrote:
While I support open service by GLBT people, I feel the biggest obstacle to the repeal of DADT is one of perception. I knew many gay soldiers while I was in the Army, they handled themselves with dignity and decorum, the same that is expected out of anyone. But I do know that noone wants Perez Hilton in the barracks, or the guys you see in the parades in the buttless chaps, ball gag, being led around on a leash, and that is the perception of gays in America. The GLBT community really needs to educate people that they are just like everyone else and will act in a decent and respectful manner as I know they do. But as long as the sterotypes are allowed to be considered the norm than they wont be accepted. Education is key and would help tremendously toward getting the civil rights gays deserve.
I'm not saying that you are 100% wrong, but if you want us to work on chaning the people in the Pride parades, then maybe y'all could do a little work on all those straights who misbehave at St. Patty's and Mardi Gras parties. It works both ways ya know, except those straights can marry anyone they like, and we can't.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#32 Mar 3, 2010
As I write this, our brothers and sisters in D.C. are GETTING their marriage licenses.

SCOTUS chose to not interfere. Congress chose to not interfere.

D.C. stood against the historical edifice of the RCC on our behalf.

Today is a day for gratitude, for joy, for hope.

Today is also a day to be "gracious in victory".
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#33 Mar 3, 2010
One major problem is that it is enforced unequally depending on the attitude of the CO. We all have heard of gay people serving openly for years, Perry Watkins comes to mind, because the CO's were not homophobic.

But others are discharged immediately because of a homophobic CO.

My Uncle Walter served in the US Army in Korea between WWII & The Korean War. I was discussing the issue with him one day, and he told me that when he was in Korea, there were 3 openly gay men in his platoon. He said everyone knew, and nobody cared.

DADT being applied unequally, perhaps on a whim, and sometimes perhaps coercively is another serious problem with this law.

If gay people want to serve, and obey all the military rules and regulations, the prejudice of homophobes is no rational justification to prohibit it.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#34 Mar 3, 2010
snyper wrote:
I think it will get lost in comittee until after the midterms.
After that, I suspect that it is to be used as political capital ... and traded away for votes on other things.
Supposedly this bill will be attached to the 2011 Defense Appropriations Bill, which would be voted on sometime BEFORE the mid-terms. Which is appropriate, since that's how DADT was passed, so that's how it should be repealed.

Tawas City, Michigan

#35 Mar 3, 2010
Tennesseeox wrote:
You have a point- sort of. The only gay people many in America know is from the news reels of the pride parades. That's simply because those are the gays that stand out. The VAST majority of gay people in America couldn't be picked out of a lineup. And I can say from experience that the VAST majority of gays in the military are NOT the flamboyant type to begin with.

Education will be the key, but simply by allowing the servicemembers already on active duty to serve openly will go a long way to a quelling those fears.

Philadelphia, PA

#36 Mar 4, 2010
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Yup.
and since I was dealing with a few of those "noble sheep" on anther thread allow me to post YET again one of my favs from YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =rPUNooNrwLwXX
Namaste my friend. We WILL beat them.
A new article on topix suggests that it's only old/retired military personnel who are crying and whining about DADT repeal, led by McCain.

Tawas City, Michigan

#37 Mar 4, 2010
rdg1234 wrote:
<quoted text>
A new article on topix suggests that it's only old/retired military personnel who are crying and whining about DADT repeal, led by McCain.
That pretty much sums it up. The VAST majority of those I served with had absolutely no problem serving with gays or lesbians. The few that ever complained about it were almost always the very very very senior enlisted or officers on the verge of retiring.

Of course these were the exact same ones who were against putting women on ships.

Sei

Since: Nov 08

East Hampton, CT

#38 Mar 4, 2010
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
That pretty much sums it up. The VAST majority of those I served with had absolutely no problem serving with gays or lesbians. The few that ever complained about it were almost always the very very very senior enlisted or officers on the verge of retiring.
Of course these were the exact same ones who were against putting women on ships.
Three of them are now dead, and one of them died before the letter he signed the letter.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Senator Mark Udall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP Faces Uphill Climb With Latino Voters In Ke... (Oct '15) Nov '16 Media Moguls 8
News For Obama, golf is an escape, even when he brin... (Aug '15) Aug '15 American_Infidel 56
News Avoiding the Trump Trap on Immigration (Jul '15) Jul '15 Jesus Latter Day ... 13
News Can Republicans Repeat an Upset in Colorado? (May '15) May '15 Le Jimbo 1
News Self-Inflicted Wounds: Phony 'War on Women' Fal... (May '15) May '15 Responsibility 4
News Gary Hart apologizes to Cory Gardner for barbs ... (May '15) May '15 Holy Silicon Wafer 1
News Poll: Paul best GOP bet in three swing states a... (Apr '15) Apr '15 E Warren the Weasel 1
More from around the web