Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Bill to be Introduced in Senate Tomorrow

There are 20 comments on the Mar 2, 2010, lezgetreal.com story titled Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Bill to be Introduced in Senate Tomorrow. In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

Senator Joe Lieberman , along with Senators Carl Levin , Mark Udall , Kirsten Gillibrand , and Roland Burris have announced that they will hold a press conference to introduce legislation called The Military Readiness Enhancement Act of 2010, aimed at repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Stan Franton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#1 Mar 2, 2010
And Obamaniac will not support it and Pelosi won't let it come to a vote in the House.
Speedieg

Atlanta, GA

#2 Mar 2, 2010
Hmm! No offense LGR but you seem to be the only news outlet with this story. Let's see if it happens. As always I am skeptical when it comes to the DEMS and GLBT rights.
octabama

Anchorage, AK

#3 Mar 2, 2010
Can men take showers with the women??? I'm in if that is true!!!

Sei

Since: Nov 08

Rutland, VT

#4 Mar 2, 2010
Speedieg wrote:
Hmm! No offense LGR but you seem to be the only news outlet with this story. Let's see if it happens. As always I am skeptical when it comes to the DEMS and GLBT rights.
Well, we got the information from the horse's mouth, so to speak. It was a press release via Gillibrand's office.
Tom

Clearwater, MN

#5 Mar 2, 2010
What is gonna replace it? Is it that gays can then be open talk about it live it have there significant other live on military base housing. Or what?

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#6 Mar 2, 2010
octabama wrote:
Sorry...fat, squid, trolls will take their usual place. Your mother's basement isn't all that bad, is it?
I Think So

Delaware, AR

#7 Mar 2, 2010
NE Jade wrote:
<quoted text>Filthy gay perverts should repent their deviant lifesyle!!!
Excellent post, thanks for sharing.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#8 Mar 2, 2010
Stan Franton wrote:
And Obamaniac will not support it and Pelosi won't let it come to a vote in the House.
Oh give it a rest. You know the other day a friend explained to me why it's been so cold this year for most of the country this winter. Even here in Florida we've felt the effect. According to my friend it's because for 200 years white bigots have insisted it'll be a cold day in hell when this country elects a black man president. Seems you got your wish. Hope you're all cozy up there in all that snow.
Ego te absolvo

Hodgenville, KY

#9 Mar 2, 2010
Say it ain't so, Joe!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#10 Mar 2, 2010
Got this today from my brother. A Navy Vet of 32 years. I may have to cut it up for space requirements here on TOPIX
In the subject line he wrote Good Perpective:
Dave
Over the years I met some people, both officer and enlisted, that I think were gay. I never asked and they never told. Most were damn good at what they did. There was only one guy that I ever tried to shit can and that was because he was a dangerous shit bird. Now he is on his way to Afganistan. I just hope he keeps the body count to himself when he screws up again.
Lesbian Vet Decries Living a Lie
February 16, 2010
Military.com |by Bryant Jordan
Retired Navy Cmdr. Beth R. Coye says she was forced to live a lie for years by hiding her sexuality. It was a pretense that grew intolerable as she rose in rank, especially when she found herself signing the discharge papers of Sailors who were caught trying to live the same lie --- that of being a gay or lesbian in a military that bars homosexuals from serving openly.
"My tour as a commanding officer was the most difficult," she said during a recent interview with Military.com from her home in Ashland, Ore. "Over two-and-a-half years, I had to discharge eight young men and women over homosexuality. And that broke my heart, and my integrity. My integrity was compromised."
"That was the tipping point. I could no longer do this," she said.
While she was up for captain, a few who knew her secret urged her to stay the course, but she resigned her commission after two decades in uniform. That was 1980.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#11 Mar 2, 2010
Coye now has joined the chorus of those who want the U.S. armed forces to let go of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy that bars homosexuals from serving openly. She was heartened by the testimony given by Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen on Feb. 2 before the Senate Armed Services Committee.
Coye watched the proceedings online, disappointed only that Gates ordered two more reviews on gays in the military, one a service-led study looking at the implications across the force of repealing the current policy and the other a Rand Corp. study following up on one it did in 1993. That study concluded that homosexuals serving openly would not hurt the military.
"Overall, my feelings [watching the Senate hearing] were of joy, that finally the top leadership, both civilian and military have 'gotten it'," Coye said. "They really have studied it, obviously, listened to both sides, and I was particularly moved by Adm. Mullen that he personally took it on board and said it is a matter of integrity."
Coye's choice to get a Navy commission came naturally to her. Her father, Rear Adm. John S. Coye Jr., was a 1933 Naval Academy graduate who earned the Navy Cross and other decorations during his World War II service as a submarine skipper, with 14 confirmed sinkings of Japanese ships. Beth Coye spent some of her early years in the Panama Canal Zone where her Navy dependent playmates included John McCain.
It's a small Navy world, Coye says, and though their Navy career paths never crossed, she now finds her childhood playmate on the other side of the argument to let gays serve openly. Sen. McCain, R-Ariz., speaking during the same hearing that brought joy to Coye, told Gates and Mullen he was disappointed in their testimony and said he was glad it would require a congressional vote to repeal Don't Ask and lift the ban.
Coye recalls McCain previously stating he would support ending Don't Ask, Don't Tell the day the military leadership told him it was time for it to go, and says McCain's flip-flop has more to do with running for re-election than ethics.
"It's strictly political, because he's got J.D. Hayworth [running against him], who is more conservative than he is so McCain has to be more conservative than he has been," Coye speculates. "I think it's a shame he keeps repeating that [Don't Ask, Don't Tell] works. Well, we know it does not work."

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#12 Mar 2, 2010
Coye served before "Don't Ask Don't Tell" was official military policy but said that that was basically the policy during her 20 years in the Navy. She was about 33 when she recognized that she was a lesbian. But just knowing her sexuality did not end the conflict that went with serving in the military while in absolute violation of its rules against homosexuality.
"And I was in the intelligence force, and I had top secret clearances, and I was always worried looking over my shoulder [wondering]:'What if somebody finds out?' " she said. "I would just resign. I would just quietly resign."
But Coye's sexual orientation remained hidden. And thanks to new career paths opened to women by Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Elmo Zumwalt in 1972, she was building a strong career. Eventually, she was named commanding officer of Personnel Support Activity, Naval Training Center San Diego --- the role that forced her to administratively discharge eight of her subordinates for being gay. "This was all about, as Admiral Mullen said, integrity," she said. "It went against who I am. I could not be myself, even quietly."
She believes she would have made captain had she stayed in longer. Among those who knew her secret toward the end of her career were her parents, living in retirement in Coronado, Calif. Her father --- who, unlike her mother, wasn't very understanding at first --- strongly encouraged her to stay in and stay quiet.
"Dad thought I could make flag [officer]," Coye said. "I didn't think so. I was known as a radical, flaming 'libber.' "
Today, Coye believes, most people don't feel homosexuality is a threat to the military.
"Of course I support good order and discipline," she says, referring to an argument frequently used to keep the current policy in effect. "If there is misconduct for whatever reason, the regulations are there and you can do something about it. The beauty of the military is we have lots of rules and regulations. It's a matter of leadership. If there is a problem, fix it."

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#13 Mar 2, 2010
Ego te absolvo wrote:
Say it ain't so, Joe!
It's coming, ipso facto he said it

Since: Feb 10

Woodstock, Illinois

#14 Mar 2, 2010
Roland Burris co sponsored?

Finally, a reason not to be embarrassed by the Blago appointment.

Great job Joe, kill it the way it started!
Leftatalbuquerqu e

Toronto, Canada

#15 Mar 2, 2010
octabama wrote:
You know, not once have I ever seen ANYTHING going on in a locker room other than showering, and I've belonged to the Y for years. Same with the nude beaches on the islands.

I don't see why both genders couldn't share bathrooms - anyone has the right to refuse anyone, and the sooner we get off this immature adolescent view of gender differences, the better!

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Mar 2, 2010
Funnily enough, this is how I've always, always thought it should happen. To me, as "outlandish" as it may sound to some (who cares), the military itself has *ZERO* business ruling on this. This should be done *by* congress or the president,*instructing and ordering them* that effective the very next day, DADT is null and void.

It's bad enough that our military is forever and ever and ever tainted by the cowardice and stupidity that was "don't ask don't tell," and that supposedly "intelligent, noble" military leaders ever supported it. I mean, it takes a special kind of scumbag to hate your fellow officers that way. Nothing about them is honorable. Nothing at all.

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Kempton, PA

#17 Mar 2, 2010
Leftatalbuquerque wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, not once have I ever seen ANYTHING going on in a locker room other than showering, and I've belonged to the Y for years. Same with the nude beaches on the islands.
I don't see why both genders couldn't share bathrooms - anyone has the right to refuse anyone, and the sooner we get off this immature adolescent view of gender differences, the better!
Str8 service men already rape and harass enough service women in the US armed forces. They even train for it via the service academy rape scandals.

It's pretty obvious str8 men are the problem in your bizarrely naive idea of co ed showers.

Now, maybe in another 30 years or so in the States....

Meanwhile, str8 men aren't going to be harassed by gay men the way these str8 men harass women.
Stan Franton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#18 Mar 2, 2010
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Oh give it a rest. You know the other day a friend explained to me why it's been so cold this year for most of the country this winter. Even here in Florida we've felt the effect. According to my friend it's because for 200 years white bigots have insisted it'll be a cold day in hell when this country elects a black man president. Seems you got your wish. Hope you're all cozy up there in all that snow.
I'm upstate New York and we've only had about 18" of snow so fat this year.(The Equinox is not far off and as an amateur astronomer of 40 years, I am counting the days away.:))

I hear the south, such as D.C. and Texas has gotten far more snow than we have up here.

PEACE !

:)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#19 Mar 2, 2010
Things are going to get really interesting this midterm year.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#20 Mar 2, 2010
snyper wrote:
Things are going to get really interesting this midterm year.
In 1992, Democrat Clinton was elected POTUS. Two years later, the Republicans took control of BOTH houses of congress for the remainder of Clinton's term.

The same thing is now predicted for Obamaniac.

And don't forget, he will then use that as an excuse for NOT repealing DADT & DOMA and blame the Republicans, when he certainly could do it TODAY, or anytime between teh day he took office and January 2011.

He could ask Congress to repeal both laws, which he refuses to do, or he could simply end DADT with a simple stroke of his Presidential pen, by issuing an order as Commander-In-Chief, to all those serving under his command, that the law not be enforced. Do you think the Democrats in congress would impeach him if he did ?

If you think the supports the repeal of DADT and DOMA, and supports Equal Rights for gay Americans, then I have a bridge here in Brooklyn that I would like to sell you.(And no, it's not the Manhattan Bridge).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Senator Mark Udall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Poll: Paul best GOP bet in three swing states a... Apr 10 E Warren the Weasel 1
News Obama to name three new national monuments Feb '15 Zombie Corpse Rental 2
News Winners and losers of the 2014 election, first ... Jan '15 tha Professor 75
News Cory Gardner says he's 'a new kind of Republican' (Sep '14) Jan '15 swedenforever 14
News The Seven Biggest Liberal Fails Of 2014 Jan '15 Who 113
News Election results sobering for gay-rights movement Nov '14 Wondering 76
News The Worst Political Calculation the Democrats M... Nov '14 ronnie 2
More from around the web