In switch, gay rights issue now favor...

In switch, gay rights issue now favoring Democrats

There are 34 comments on the Sunherald.com story from May 22, 2014, titled In switch, gay rights issue now favoring Democrats. In it, Sunherald.com reports that:

But as public opinion on the issue has turned and courts strike down same-sex marriage bans, gay rights is evolving into a wedge issue for Democrats to wield.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sunherald.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 May 23, 2014
Which is why the Republican Gov Corbett in PA decided NOT to appeal the ruling, hoping that will save his re-election bid.
Pinocchio Goes to Israel

Amherst, MA

#2 May 23, 2014
This President has no plan.
This President had no plan.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#3 May 23, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Which is why the Republican Gov Corbett in PA decided NOT to appeal the ruling, hoping that will save his re-election bid.
I live in Missouri and (D) Gov. is on his last term....We have a (R) controlled House and Senate......Doesn't look good for us.
Jimmy

Boardman, OR

#4 May 23, 2014
Pinocchio Goes to Israel wrote:
This President has no plan.
This President had no plan.
I disagree.

Obama has a definite plan to destroy the United States of America. The plan is working brilliantly and has just about completely succeeded.
Pinocchio Goes to Israel

Amherst, MA

#5 May 23, 2014
Imprtnrd wrote:
<quoted text>I live in Missouri and (D) Gov. is on his last term....We have a (R) controlled House and Senate......Doesn't look good for us.
Maybe that's because they're looking to turn away from the sleaze that America has become.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#6 May 23, 2014
Imprtnrd wrote:
<quoted text>I live in Missouri and (D) Gov. is on his last term....We have a (R) controlled House and Senate......Doesn't look good for us.
I can't wait to get out of this friggin' backwater state when my honey retires. I'd much rather pay my taxes (which I will begin to do again when I take my IRA RMD), and go to a place where the state will acknowledge our commitment. I may pay more in taxes in a new state, but I will have the satisfaction of not paying it to Missouri.
Pinocchio Goes to Israel

Amherst, MA

#7 May 23, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't wait to get out of this friggin' backwater state when my honey retires. I'd much rather pay my taxes (which I will begin to do again when I take my IRA RMD), and go to a place where the state will acknowledge our commitment. I may pay more in taxes in a new state, but I will have the satisfaction of not paying it to Missouri.
Spoken like a true far left fascist. Good bye a**wipe!

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#8 May 23, 2014
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree.
Obama has a definite plan to destroy the United States of America. The plan is working brilliantly and has just about completely succeeded.
I agree. Good post !

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#9 May 23, 2014
Pinocchio Goes to Israel wrote:
<quoted text>
Spoken like a true far left fascist. Good bye a**wipe!
Pssst........I used to be a Republican, until I came to my senses. Now I'm an Independent. I think before I vote, not just follow some party blindly. My politics are middle of the road.
Stick a Fork in Obama

Amherst, MA

#10 May 23, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Pssst........I used to be a Republican, until I came to my senses. Now I'm an Independent. I think before I vote, not just follow some party blindly. My politics are middle of the road.
Stop foolin the world. No person in their right mind would have voted for this clown, AGAIN.
Let alone the next one. Shillary.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#11 May 23, 2014
Jimmy wrote:
I disagree.
I'm sure you could be a little MORE dramatic, if you put some effort into it.

Why would someone have a plan to destroy the USA? Doesn't Obama still have to LIVE here after his term is over?

What do you consider "destroyed"? Will we be split into South Canada and North Mexico? Will we become 50 little countries? Will there be nothing but a giant, blackened, glassy plain of obsidian from coast to coast?

In a couple years, Obama's term will end, and someone new will be president, and people like you can finally unclench. Just be patient. But America will not be "destroyed". The new president will still have a nation to run, as well as the president after that, and the president after that, and so on. Get a grip.
Christians In Name Only

Philadelphia, PA

#12 May 23, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
The troll you are unwisely replying to goes on in the same torrent about both R. and D. He doesn't care how you vote.

He only cares that Jews "run everything."

Wait until we tell the rich WASPs. They're going to be _pissed_.
Christians In Name Only

Philadelphia, PA

#13 May 23, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Ah! The "Santorum Gambit," as it were.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#14 May 23, 2014
From the article:

"Connie Mackey, head of the conservative Family Research Council's Political Action Committee, said that's still a solid strategy. Voters still oppose gay marriage, she argued, and Republicans should not let themselves get faked out by overconfident Democrats."

She is 100% wrong when it comes to the younger generations. They do not care and this issue does not connect with them in this negative context. They see gay marriage as having zero effect. This woman is laughably inaccurate where they are concerned; if she insists that they feel this way, she is either shockingly uneducated or very, very deliberately lying.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#15 May 23, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you could be a little MORE dramatic, if you put some effort into it.
Why would someone have a plan to destroy the USA? Doesn't Obama still have to LIVE here after his term is over?
What do you consider "destroyed"? Will we be split into South Canada and North Mexico? Will we become 50 little countries? Will there be nothing but a giant, blackened, glassy plain of obsidian from coast to coast?
In a couple years, Obama's term will end, and someone new will be president, and people like you can finally unclench. Just be patient. But America will not be "destroyed". The new president will still have a nation to run, as well as the president after that, and the president after that, and so on. Get a grip.
I'm gonna oversimplify this issue, so forgive what may look "dramatic," hahaha.

When Americans don't get their way, they tend to become hysterical. In my experience, they do this *much more* than people from, say, Europe.

The conservatives who hate everything Obama stands for have taken to speaking about the U.S. in savagely hateful terms. They *will not* stop until he's out of office; if another Democrat replaces him (which would be a historic first; look at the pattern of political parties which have occupied the presidency since the start of the nation; according to this pattern, a Republican *will* be next), they will continue hating utterly that new president.

I'm sure you know all this; I'm "piggybacking."
Christians In Name Only

Philadelphia, PA

#16 May 23, 2014
hi hi wrote:
From the article:
"Connie Mackey, head of the conservative Family Research Council's Political Action Committee, said that's still a solid strategy. Voters still oppose gay marriage, she argued, and Republicans should not let themselves get faked out by overconfident Democrats."
She is 100% wrong when it comes to the younger generations. They do not care and this issue does not connect with them in this negative context. They see gay marriage as having zero effect. This woman is laughably inaccurate where they are concerned; if she insists that they feel this way, she is either shockingly uneducated or very, very deliberately lying.
You're trying to elect Republicans again, are you?

No, the Republicans must listen to their fundamentalist base and stay the course on opposing marriage equality and every other aspect of the Gay Agender [sic].

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#17 May 23, 2014
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree.
The US is destroying itself through the stupidity of its population and the greed and arrogance of its financial and military leaders. It does not need Obama or any other member of the body politic to destroy it.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#18 May 23, 2014
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
The US is destroying itself through the stupidity of its population and the greed and arrogance of its financial and military leaders. It does not need Obama or any other member of the body politic to destroy it.
True.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#20 May 23, 2014
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been saying that for years now. Don't blame the politicians. They're doing exactly what they all said they'd do when they were running for office--obstruction and destruction.

Blame the ignorant idiot voters that keep voting those fools in and the lowest-common-denominator media that only reports on super-duper totally exciting things rather than the important and relevant things they *should* be reporting.

But don't blame the government. When the American public keeps voting in one idiot after another, and ends up with a congress that collectively couldn't pass an 8th grade civics exam, the American public gets what it voted in--idiots.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#21 May 23, 2014
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been saying that for years now. Don't blame the politicians. They're doing exactly what they all said they'd do when they were running for office--obstruction and destruction.
Blame the ignorant idiot voters that keep voting those fools in and the lowest-common-denominator media that only reports on super-duper totally exciting things rather than the important and relevant things they *should* be reporting.
But don't blame the government. When the American public keeps voting in one idiot after another, and ends up with a congress that collectively couldn't pass an 8th grade civics exam, the American public gets what it voted in--idiots.
I agree with you. No only is it sad that most Americans couldn't pass an 8th grade civics exam, but we also have too many members of Congress who also could not do so. Being able to do so should be a requirement to graduate high school. How can the electorate make informed decisions and vote intelligently if they are clueless about how government works ?

On a related note, did you hear about John Conyers ? If not, then: He's the 2nd-longest serving congressman, at 49 years in the Congress. He's 85 years old, and is a black Democrat representing Detroit. Well, he ALMOST CERTAINLY has seen his glorious congressional career come to a screeching, unexpected halt, because he FAILED to turn in enough signatures on his petitions to be placed on the ballot for renomination.

"The decision came down Friday from the Secretary of State's office. The office determined that Detroit-area officials were correct in keeping Conyers off the ballot, since he "failed to submit" a minimum of 1,000 signatures to qualify.

"Wayne County officials had said there were problems with some people who collected signatures -- the circulators weren't registered to vote or had listed a wrong registration address.

"Under Michigan law, that can spoil petitions.

"Before deciding whether to go the write-in route, Conyers is still awaiting the decision of a federal judge who is expected to rule later Friday on Conyers' request to throw out the Michigan election law as unconstitutional."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/23/lo...

And thus endeth the career of one of the people resposnsibe for plunging Detroit into the hell-hole that it is today. It couldn't happen to a nice guy.:)

Of course, he's set for life financially with his tax-payer supported pension., which is about 7 times the amount of money that the average person in Detroit makes. So what's he complaining about ?

When the U.S. Constitution was written, I think the Foundeing Fathers pictured "citizen-legislators: that would serve part-time in Congress and serve only for a few years. I DON'T think they envisioned professional politicians, earning 5 times the amount the average American does, serving DECADE AFTER DECADE in Congress.

Some states have a law, which I have long believed in, which limits the amount of time a politician can serve in office. I believe that every elected office should be limited to a maximum of 2 consecutive terms. Meaning that after serving 2 terms, you must sit out at least one term before being eligible for elective office again. I think all politicians should be forced by law to abide by that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Senator Mark Udall Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP Faces Uphill Climb With Latino Voters In Ke... (Oct '15) Nov '16 Media Moguls 8
News For Obama, golf is an escape, even when he brin... (Aug '15) Aug '15 American_Infidel 56
News Avoiding the Trump Trap on Immigration (Jul '15) Jul '15 Jesus Latter Day ... 13
News Tom Steyer, billionaire environmentalist, calls... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Satan Pickets 1
News Can Republicans Repeat an Upset in Colorado? (May '15) May '15 Le Jimbo 1
News Self-Inflicted Wounds: Phony 'War on Women' Fal... (May '15) May '15 Responsibility 4
News Gary Hart apologizes to Cory Gardner for barbs ... (May '15) May '15 Holy Silicon Wafer 1
More from around the web