Colorado senator wants repeal of gay ban

Oct 17, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Marine Corps Times

Sen. Mark Udall said Friday he wants U.S. military chiefs to tell Congress in the next 30 days how they would handle a repeal of the nation's 'don't ask, don't tell' law that bars gays and lesbians from serving openly in the military.

Comments
1 - 3 of 3 Comments Last updated Oct 18, 2009

“Married as I can be!”

Since: Jun 07

Las Vegas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2009

Judged:

"Obama acknowledged that some are growing impatient."

What is our president, British? I've never heard such a blatant understatement from an American.

I'm not against Obama. I voted for him. But yes, President Obama, I am getting "impatient."
Thank you Senator Udall

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2009

If more Senators would take Senator Udall's stance then maybe President Obama would take some action and keep his campaign promises.
Robert

Berkeley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2009

This is from March 3, 2008

Legislation to repeal a law that bans lesbians and gays from serving openly in the military was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives today.

The Military Readiness Enhancement Act will eliminate the current U.S. military policy, known as "Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Pursue, Don't Harass" (DADT). The policy prohibits anyone who "demonstrate(s) a propensity or intent to engage in homosexual acts" from serving in the military, but places limits on when the military can initiate an investigation into an servicemember's sexual orientation.

The percentage of Americans who believe that openly gay and lesbian servicemembers should be allowed to serve in the military has increased from 44 percent in 1993, when DADT was introduced, to 75 percent in 2009. More than 12,500 military servicemembers have been discharged under DADT, costing U.S. taxpayers more than a quarter billion dollars.

http://www.civilrights.org/archives/2009/03/1...

This is from July 30, 2009

Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-FL) said yesterday that he withdrew an amendment to a defense appropriations bill that would have weakened the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy because of “pressure” from the White House and some “congressional colleagues.” Hastings’ amendment would have prohibited “spending money to investigate or discharge members of the military who reveal they are homosexual or bisexual.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/07/30/hastings-...

So we have at least 2 bills in the House and soon 1 bill in the Senate.....it is clear that Obama's failure to act is what stands in the way of repealing DADT.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••